The Official Calgary Flames "New Arena" thread

DirtyDeeds

1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

I vote no

Calgary Next which included the new Arena, Stadium and Field house (plus cleanup was 1.8B)...

I feel same as Cheersman.... This is not a shining example of how I would like to see Calgary do a Winter Olympics...

Lets just refit what we have and ship the part we can't to Whistler... lol

I vote no too....

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

You mean politicians are corrupt?  I never thought I'd hear that from you.

Oh, I think that there are a lot of corrupt politicians out there. In fact, I would argue that it is difficult to find a mayor in the country that is not in bed with developers. That is why Nenshi got into hot water with Shane. They never thought that he would win and didn't have him in their wallet. Nenshi seems to have changed and wants an Olympic legacy. 1988 was a wonderful time, no doubt. I just think that it would be terribly difficult to replicate that result given so many variables have changed.

Just now, Cowtownguy said:

Oh, I think that there are a lot of corrupt politicians out there. In fact, I would argue that it is difficult to find a mayor in the country that is not in bed with developers. That is why Nenshi got into hot water with Shane. They never thought that he would win and didn't have him in their wallet. Nenshi seems to have changed and wants an Olympic legacy. 1988 was a wonderful time, no doubt. I just think that it would be terribly difficult to replicate that result given so many variables have changed.

Well, Nenshi just approved what, 11 or 14 new communities in Calgary?  Nenshi has changed.  Power corrupts I guess.

7 minutes ago, DirtyDeeds said:

Calgary Next which included the new Arena, Stadium and Field house (plus cleanup was 1.8B)...

I feel same as Cheersman.... This is not a shining example of how I would like to see Calgary do a Winter Olympics...

Lets just refit what we have and ship the part we can't to Whistler... lol

I vote no too....

I am not in favour of the Olympic bid at all. Slating events in other cities makes it even less palatable. What a completely stupid killjoy idea. :rolleyes:

8 minutes ago, DirtyDeeds said:

So THREE CalgaryNext for 5.3 billion.  OR a 2 week event called the Calgary Olympics in name only but the main events are in Whistler and Edmonton?  

Reminds me of that Volkswagen commercial where the dude wins a game show and chooses Fun in The Sun over a Volkswagen...  

Well, Nenshi just approved what, 11 or 14 new communities in Calgary?  Nenshi has changed.  Power corrupts I guess.

And he has been in for too long. He is not stupid, but I don't think he is the same guy who ran in the first municipal election. Yeah, power does corrupt. 

So THREE CalgaryNext for 5.3 billion.  OR a 2 week event called the Calgary Olympics in name only but the main events are in Whistler and Edmonton?  

Reminds me of that Volkswagen commercial where the dude wins a game show and chooses Fun in The Sun over a Volkswagen...  

:lol: No kidding. Let's tell the Flames to stick it because public tax dollars are not supposed to go to private sports clubs, and then spend $5.3 billion on the Olympics because they were an amateur event decades ago. And if anyone really believes the bill is under $7 billion, I think you are naive. And after spending bank on them, the idea of trying to save a few bucks by having events in other cities is just plain dumb. At least CalgaryNext dealt with the creosote and provided stability to an established company in the city. If the Olympics come to Calgary and the Flames don't get a fancy smancy arena in the process, they whole lot of them should be fired. It would just be a huge opportunity lost.

What would the olympics do for Calgary? Maybe eventually bring in foreign investors? Is the city attractive enough for that? What does it have to offer in terms of other opportunities? 

After Vancouver, a huge influx of foreign home owners came in. And I am not sure how much foreign investment here as there are some / a lot of empty condos. But rent has almost more than tripled.

i think that maybe the plan is to hope that you sell thyour city internationally so that other money comes in after 

9 minutes ago, CheersMan said:

I vote no.... I've seen enough.

Just to throw some gasoline on this fire....

The Field house has already been budgeted for by the City for years now. This only brings Provincial and Federal Money into the building of it.

So why are they proposing building a 3-5000 seat arena when they could spend a bit more(Larger  with more seating) and accommodate the Flames Arena needs too?

1 minute ago, DirtyDeeds said:

The Field house has already been budgeted for by the City for years now. This only brings Provincial and Federal Money into the building of it.

So why are they proposing building a 3-5000 seat arena when they could spend a bit more(Larger  with more seating) and accommodate the Flames Arena needs too?

The idea to get tax dollars from other levels of government is brilliant. Maybe we could clean up the creosote, get a new NHL arena, and a new ski hill. Holding ski events in Whistler means not getting that infrastructure and holding games in Edmonton means no arena. Where is the long-term infrastructure benefit then? At least a new arena would result in some long-term economic benefit for Calgary.

I don't get it. This proposal brings nothing long term to the city.

We already have a short track speed skating oval at the U of C.

I'm sure we could accommodate figure skating at the Dome?

We don't need a 3-5K arena.

They want to send the skiers to Vancouver and the hockey to Edmonton.

We get stuck with the $5.3B for what?

This is the most ridiculous proposal I have seen. 

And these are the same elected people the Flames ownership are dealing with in negotiating a new arena.  No wonder there has been no head way on a new arena, they're all idiots, damn near Trump level. 

1 minute ago, CheersMan said:

No wonder there has been no head way on a new arena, they're all idiots, damn near Trump level. 

Trump could propose $1.8-billion CalgaryNext and the "pretend resistance" would call him a Russian spy in front of the media and then behind closed doors approve his requests to increase military spending by $80-billion.

7 minutes ago, CheersMan said:

I don't get it. This proposal brings nothing long term to the city.

We already have a short track speed skating oval at the U of C.

I'm sure we could accommodate figure skating at the Dome?

We don't need a 3-5K arena.

They want to send the skiers to Vancouver and the hockey to Edmonton.

We get stuck with the $5.3B for what?

This is the most ridiculous proposal I have seen. 

And these are the same elected people the Flames ownership are dealing with in negotiating a new arena.  No wonder there has been no head way on a new arena, they're all idiots, damn near Trump level. 

It is a weak proposal. Many Calgarians do not want to pay for a new arena. They have good reasons for their opposition. So, the plan is that, should we win the bid and get free cash, we will spend that money given to us from other levels of government on everything but a new arena!? This is THE opportunity to invest money for long-term benefit, and the city wants to spend it on a 5,000 seat arena. 

ETA: Heck, the city already offered up money for a new arena. Why not use other taxpayers money to pay for more and settle the issue once and for all?

2 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Trump could propose $1.8-billion CalgaryNext and the "pretend resistance" would call him a Russian spy in front of the media and then behind closed doors approve his requests to increase military spending by $80-billion.

I'll concede.  Trump would at minimum bring us a CalgaryNext in this deal at worst.  

1 minute ago, Cowtownguy said:

It is a weak proposal. Many Calgarians do not want to pay for a new arena. They have good reasons for their opposition. So, the plan is that, should we win the bid and get free cash, we will spend that money given to us from other levels of government on everything but a new arena!? This is THE opportunity to invest money for long-term benefit, and the city wants to spend it on a 5,000 seat arena. 

Totally man.  We're not looking for a 5K seat arena.

5 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

If Trump ran the show, a Russian firm would get the bid, the North Koreans would snag a few contracts, Trump would name it after himself and obtain a few loans in the process, but it would have some economic benefit.

Just now, CheersMan said:

Totally man.  We're not looking for a 5K seat arena.

Local Amateur hockey is screaming for more hockey arenas.. I will take a guess that they don't like to only ice times after midnight available to them with our present facilities.

On the Fieldhouse front I believe Edmonton has 4 of them.... Calgary has none...

• Like 1

Local Amateur hockey is screaming for more hockey arenas.. I will take a guess that they don't like to only ice times after midnight available to them with our present facilities.

On the Fieldhouse front I believe Edmonton has 4 of them.... Calgary has none...

We could certainly use another 5,000 seat arena. It seems to me that we could also do something along the lines of CalgaryNext.

3 minutes ago, DirtyDeeds said:

For sure, more rinks would be nice, but smaller ones, congested under one roof would be suffice from what I'm hearing.

8 minutes ago, DirtyDeeds said:

What is wrong with upgrading the Corral?? (Seating 6,475, plus standing room)  or did we tear it down already??

How old is the Corral? I remember watching a game there the first year that the Flames came to town when I was a kid. I thought it was a huge facility back then.