Mason McDonald

Sounds like Mason did ok for himself in the Canada Russian game stopped 16 of 17 shots Canada won 4-1 I now it is only exhibition but hey a win is a win keep up the good work Mason see you in the world juniors. Well of course the prospects as well. shutout McD :)

I was pretty happy from what I saw, the goal he allowed was weak. Other then that he was pretty solid, im excited for what the future holds with him.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

McDonald was named to Canada's WJC selection camp and the fact that he is one of only two goalies selected for the camp means he has effectively made the team. Now he just has to battle it out for the starters job with Mackenzie Blackwood.

This was expected and would have been a big shock/dissapointment to see him not make it. Hopefully he is the starter and personally I would be dissapointed if he wasn't. I think he is the better goalie and in his 19 year old he should be the best goalie in Canada so if he isn't that's not overly positive for development. 

• 3 weeks later...

To no ones surprise, Macdonald made Team Canada and appears to be in line to start the first two games. The downside is there is far more buzz on Blackwood and it would appear he is the preferred starter. Macdonald is going to have to play extremely well and convince them otherwise or I think Blackwood will get a shot.

• 2 weeks later...

I really hope he does get traded. I do agree he was only solid at the World Juniors. He made the saves you'd want him to make and the goals he let in were never bad and you could argue none of them were his fault but he never made that great save to change moment or prevent a goal.

I didn't see the same goaltender I saw at the Under 18s. Different tournmanet of course and different talent level, but I saw a real confident goaltender and I didn't see that at either the Canada-Russia game nor in the WJC. Can't help but wonder if constantly playing behind a poor team is chipping away at his confidence a bit. He basiclaly has to be stellar every night for them to have a shot and thats tough on a young goalie. 

I really hope he does get traded. I do agree he was only solid at the World Juniors. He made the saves you'd want him to make and the goals he let in were never bad and you could argue none of them were his fault but he never made that great save to change moment or prevent a goal.

I didn't see the same goaltender I saw at the Under 18s. Different tournmanet of course and different talent level, but I saw a real confident goaltender and I didn't see that at either the Canada-Russia game nor in the WJC. Can't help but wonder if constantly playing behind a poor team is chipping away at his confidence a bit. He basiclaly has to be stellar every night for them to have a shot and thats tough on a young goalie. 

No, think he made some great saves in his games and was definitely better than "solid".  He outplayed Blackwood in the first 4 games and should have got the start against Finland.  Even though on the bench he was really into the game, cheering the guys on wildly from the bench.  Also good to see.  

Can't help but wonder if constantly playing behind a poor team is chipping away at his confidence a bit. He basiclaly has to be stellar every night for them to have a shot and thats tough on a young goalie. 

Entirely possible. It's demoralizing when you play great over and over but still lose because the team in front of you isn't very good. Eventually one learns to take solace in the big saves made; focusing on those makes it easier to forget that you're losing and helps confidence.

Experience as a soccer GK who's been in a few demoralizing games.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

He sees a lot of shots playing in the "Q". The stat from the past month of playing in 4 games and seeing 36 or more shots in each game and still posting a .945 save % is crazy.

I am a big fan of McDonald and I think he is the type of goalie that will have success with the change in equipment. He is big and athletic.

He sees a lot of shots playing in the "Q". The stat from the past month of playing in 4 games and seeing 36 or more shots in each game and still posting a .945 save % is crazy.

I am a big fan of McDonald and I think he is the type of goalie that will have success with the change in equipment. He is big and athletic.

Agreed and to be clear I really like Mason too and think his upside is quite high. On pure upside, he and Gilles are neck and neck for me I don't think you can argue one has more upside than the other.  Gilles just has looked better at the same age that is all but I dont' think we should be so quick to write off McDonald.

also food for though, I thought Mason McDonald was better at the World Juniors than Gilles was when he represented Team USA. Not knocking either, just reminding people not to look too short term with goalies. 

Agreed and to be clear I really like Mason too and think his upside is quite high. On pure upside, he and Gilles are neck and neck for me I don't think you can argue one has more upside than the other.  Gilles just has looked better at the same age that is all but I dont' think we should be so quick to write off McDonald.

also food for though, I thought Mason McDonald was better at the World Juniors than Gilles was when he represented Team USA. Not knocking either, just reminding people not to look too short term with goalies. 

You can take Gillies' WJC performance with a grain of salt.  He had the nagging hip injury that season. May or may not have been a factor.  

You can take Gillies' WJC performance with a grain of salt. He had the nagging hip injury that season. May or may not have been a factor.

Maybe but that's makin excuses. He went back and play solid at Procidence so I don't think that was it. I will say I don't read too much into World junior performances by a goalie so I'm not using that as a way to knock down Gilles. The trend for most flames fans seems to be Gilles is the guy wth big upside and McDonald is more meh and I don't agree. Both have big upsides IMO.

2 of the best World Junior performances Canada has seen out of a goalie are Jimmy Waite and Justin Pogge. I don't read too much into it positively or negatively just trying to show people McDonald is worth getting excited about too.

Maybe but that's makin excuses. He went back and play solid at Procidence so I don't think that was it. I will say I don't read too much into World junior performances by a goalie so I'm not using that as a way to knock down Gilles. The trend for most flames fans seems to be Gilles is the guy wth big upside and McDonald is more meh and I don't agree. Both have big upsides IMO.

2 of the best World Junior performances Canada has seen out of a goalie are Jimmy Waite and Justin Pogge. I don't read too much into it positively or negatively just trying to show people McDonald is worth getting excited about too.

I agree about WJC.  All I was getting at was he has played with that problem over two years.  Demko had the same surgery and he came out of it a much better goalie than he had been.  I think the same will be true of Gillies.  As far as Demko vs MacDonald or Gillies vs MacDonald, it's really hard to compare the two.  Different leagues, different team structure.

I am glad we have two prospects in the pipeline.  Makes the odds better.  Both have some time to develop.  

• 2 weeks later...

Charlottetown advanced to the next round. Mason McDonald was a huge reason they advanced.

Game 1: 31/33 (saves/shots) L

Game 2: 36/40 W OT

Game 3: 26/28 W

Game 4: 38/41 W OT

Game 5: 40/45 L OT

Game 6: 41/43 W

That is a ton of shots against.

Charlottetown advanced to the next round. Mason McDonald was a huge reason they advanced.

Game 1: 31/33 (saves/shots) L

Game 2: 36/40 W OT

Game 3: 26/28 W

Game 4: 38/41 W OT

Game 5: 40/45 L OT

Game 6: 41/43 W

That is a ton of shots against.

Exactly what you want to see. I think McDonald has already proven he is a solid junior goalie but to date he hadn't shown he could put the team on this back. This is an important step for him. 

• 2 weeks later...

How come no one is mentioning Snyder is he not in the mix or just not worth mentioning ? Seemed to be ok for the heat last few games could become better with time. I was pretty disappointed with the Mason pick and very disappointed with the trade of Brossoit I didn't think they gave him much of a chance and what did we get a Goalie which isn't in the system and a D man who probably hasn't played 20 games for us. :(

How come no one is mentioning Snyder is he not in the mix or just not worth mentioning ? Seemed to be ok for the heat last few games could become better with time. I was pretty disappointed with the Mason pick and very disappointed with the trade of Brossoit I didn't think they gave him much of a chance and what did we get a Goalie which isn't in the system and a D man who probably hasn't played 20 games for us.

Mason McDonald will be 20 in a week.

I will digress in shredding this to dust as I'm guessing English isn't your first language.

For the record, Broissoit sucks. Still.

Archived