Mason McDonald

He's 6'3", Mr. McCalm, and a Taurus.

What're you sayin'?

Hockey's Future says: (http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/mason-mcdonald/)

A battler between the pipes, McDonald never gives up on the puck and makes the most of his size and athleticism. Though he has frequently found himself peppered with shots, the netminder is unflappable under pressure. Pairing a big frame with great mobility in the crease gives McDonald the foundation to be a special prospect.

I'm sayin' welcome to Calgary, kid!

I also found this, he says "funner" and "more fun": 

Love.

I was impressed with macdonald at the U18s. He is fairly athletic for his size and I like that he can use his size to make saves but then also has the agility and athletic ability to recover with some very good/highlight real saves. I don't think that team canada played overly well at that tournament and there was more then one games where macdonald flat out stole it. The downside is that for as skilled as macdonald appears his numbers in the Q look very mediocre but for a young goalies that's not always a red flag. I still would have preferred some of the dman that were available but I don't think macdonald is a bad prospect.

Also, could someone please edit the title to include the capitalized 'D'? I can't figure out how to do that, and I don't know how I missed it to begin with... Probably just got a little excited, and posted prematurely. 

Love.

I see you ran into the auto formatting with the title.

To get a capitol D just put a space between the Mc and the Donald and the Capital D will stick.

You will need to open the "Use Full Editor" mode to edit the title now that you have posted it.

Mc Donald

Edit if it still looks a bit off to you then try putting 2 spaces between 1st and last name and single space in that Mc Donald slot to balance the spaces a bit better.

Mason   Mc Donald

I didn't like picking a goalie that early but I like that they Didn't pick Demko, was never impressed when watching BC.  He (Demko) also requires surgery on both hips?  Think they got the right guy - would have got lot of views at the national goalie camp in Calgary too..

I see you ran into the auto formatting with the title.

To get a capitol D just put a space between the Mc and the Donald and the Capital D will stick.

You will need to open the "Use Full Editor" mode to edit the title now that you have posted it.

Mc Donald

Edit if it still looks a bit off to you then try putting 2 spaces between 1st and last name and single space in that Mc Donald slot to balance the spaces a bit better.

Mason   Mc Donald

My understanding (correct me if I am wrong Peeps) is that the auto formatting is in place to prevent posters from starting threads and unnecessarily "SHOUTING" in the title...

Personally I think it would be better to pin a directive for etiquette not to SHOUT unnecessarily in a title in the Welcome to the C of Red thread (and elsewhere for a while if needed) and for the amount of times that a poster does SHOUT, Mod Edit the title and PM the offender pointing them towards the directive...   Heck, even put a *Mod Edit in Title Due to SHOUTING* at the top of the offenders initial post to educate them on internet etiquette...   I would bet that this would only have to be done once with the offending poster...

That would go a long way towards the readability and tidying up of titles...   Many other boards seem to do just fine without that form of auto formatting in place, and having to type or read N H L, G D T, Mason   Mc Donald, etc seems to be somewhat inordinate...

My understanding (correct me if I am wrong Peeps) is that the auto formatting is in place to prevent posters from starting threads and unnecessarily "SHOUTING" in the title...

Personally I think it would be better to pin a directive for etiquette not to SHOUT unnecessarily in a title in the Welcome to the C of Red thread (and elsewhere for a while if needed) and for the amount of times that a poster does SHOUT, Mod Edit the title and PM the offender pointing them towards the directive...   Heck, even put a *Mod Edit in Title Due to SHOUTING* at the top of the offenders initial post to educate them on internet etiquette...   I would bet that this would only have to be done once with the offending poster...

That would go a long way towards the readability and tidying up of titles...   Many other boards seem to do just fine without that form of auto formatting in place, and having to type or read N H L, G D T, Mason   Mc Donald, etc seems to be somewhat inordinate...

Great suggestion Carty. I was under the impression it was built in, as it carried over from the older Ver of IP Boards. If there is a toggle to turn it off I second the suggestion to just get rid of it or turn it off.

The mods have enough time to censor a cartoon of wet T-Shirt not showing anything racy,  so must have enough time to change out an all caps title now and then.

The people who run into this auto format problem the most are the G D T creators.

Others like Heartbreaker rarely run into the problem. When I first started to do GDT's I ran into the autoformat on the old IP Boards and had to get creative (like my description above) to make it even look okay.

It is no better and no easier today to work around this today.

I was impressed with macdonald at the U18s. He is fairly athletic for his size and I like that he can use his size to make saves but then also has the agility and athletic ability to recover with some very good/highlight real saves. I don't think that team canada played overly well at that tournament and there was more then one games where macdonald flat out stole it. The downside is that for as skilled as macdonald appears his numbers in the Q look very mediocre but for a young goalies that's not always a red flag. I still would have preferred some of the dman that were available but I don't think macdonald is a bad prospect.

I was just checking out the Charlottetown team that MacDonald was traded to a week before the trade deadline. They were the second most penalized team in the Q, so MacDonald was seeing a lot of PP's. Also the team made 7 trades at the deadline trading away most of the vets including Ryan Graves who was their best defenseman.

Doesn't explain the jumbers completely but shows what kind of team was playing in front of him.

• 1 month later...

Kinda surprised that they passed on Nedeljkovic and Demko, however Mcdonald has a ton of pontential and will benefit from playing on a weak Charlottetown team

Goaltender Demko not worried about recent struggles
Monday, 08.04.2014 / 7:51 PM / NHL Insider
By Adam Kimelman - NHL.com Deputy Managing Editor

Share with your Friends

To:

demko_061714_672.jpgGoaltender Demko not worried about recent struggles

Goaltender Thatcher Demko believes he can overcome his recent struggles and make the Team USA roster for the 2015 IIHF World Junior Championship.

LAKE PLACID, N.Y. -- Thatcher Demko said one of the most enduring lessons he learned at the USA Hockey national junior evaluation camp last year was that roster spots aren't won or lost in August.

The goaltender would do well to remember those lessons this year, as the first few days of camp aren't anything he's likely to brag about.

"It's been alright," Demko told NHL.com. "I don't think I've played my best yet."

Demko allowed two goals on seven shots playing the first 30 minutes Monday in USA White's 4-3 loss to Finland. In parts of three games, he's allowed eight goals on 27 shots.

Full link to story here:    http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=727808&navid=nhl:topheads

Not that this story confirms anything, but I have not been a fan of Demko.  I think he was fortunate to play on a top team in the NCAA.

He may trun it around, but I think he is overrated.  JMHO. 

I noticed Demko was invited to nationals where's McDonald? That has to say something don't you think? 

ya but demko is american so guess thats the reason canada already has good goalies like fucale so i guess they don't need him 

but thats why demko was rated number 1

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed Demko was invited to nationals where's McDonald? That has to say something don't you think? 

It's very rare for a Canadian goalie to get invited or considered for team canada at 18 years old and all of the goalies invited were 2013 draftees. They want the experience. With Demko first off all the states is nowhere near as deep in goal and secondly Demko by all accounts was not very good at the camp so it doesn't matter anyway.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

McDonald is has faced the third most shots in the "Q" this year and has the 3rd best save percentage in the league. He is seeing an average of 30.5 shots per night. The Islanders are also the 4th most penalized team in the league.

Here is a quick comparison to Zach Fucale who is considered one of the top goaltending prospects around:

McDonald 51GP/3.07GAA/.905SV%

Fucale 37GP/3.19GAA/.884SV%

I think we have a pretty good goalie prospect on our hands.

Never got the Fucale hype to be honest. From what I've seen id take Macdonald let him based on athletiscm alone. Having said that Fucale ha stepped up in big games such as world juniors and memorial cup. Hope Macdonald gets a chance at world juniors next year.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Sounds like Mason did ok for himself in the Canada Russian game stopped 16 of 17 shots Canada won 4-1 I now it is only exhibition but hey a win is a win keep up the good work Mason see you in the world juniors. Well of course the prospects as well. shutout McD :)

Archived