Official Sam Bennett Discussion Thread

flames-fan-911

18 hours ago, JA_Boomer said:

So Bennett was demoted to centering the 4th line last night. I'm not really sure why as I've been happy with his game over the past two weeks. I think it was just to rattle him and but a burr in his saddle to motivate him like GG did with Monahan earlier in the season. I think Bennett will be back on the 3rd line tomorrow. I've thought that Bennett and Versteeg have worked well together but Brouwer is playing like a 4th liner.

Bennett still played 14mins last game despite playing most of it on the 4th line. He got more ice time than Monahan.

I think the move was more about play styles. I think Versteeg and Brouwer play a more methodical style game, and are slower than Bennett, I thought Stajan fit better with those two. Bennett likes to get into the thick of things and get more into cycle game which fits better with Bouma and Chiasson and looks like maybe Lazar tonight. I also think Bouma and Chiasson/Lazar can skate with Bennett better.

I really think it was less about demoting Bennett and more about being able to roll all 4 lines really evenly. I also think relying on Stajan's experience down the stretch and into the playoffs isn't a bad thing.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Bennett still played 14mins last game despite playing most of it on the 4th line. He got more ice time than Monahan.

I think the move was more about play styles. I think Versteeg and Brouwer play a more methodical style game, and are slower than Bennett, I thought Stajan fit better with those two. Bennett likes to get into the thick of things and get more into cycle game which fits better with Bouma and Chiasson and looks like maybe Lazar tonight. I also think Bouma and Chiasson/Lazar can skate with Bennett better.

I really think it was less about demoting Bennett and more about being able to roll all 4 lines really evenly. I also think relying on Stajan's experience down the stretch and into the playoffs is a bad thing.

I am not sure why you would say this, Stajan has played well most of the year. As long as the coach slots him in the right situations, he will be just fine. Relying on  experience of your vets is one thing that separates the good teams from lesser teams.

41 minutes ago, DirtyDeeds said:

I am not sure why you would say this, Stajan has played well most of the year. As long as the coach slots him in the right situations, he will be just fine. Relying on  experience of your vets is one thing that separates the good teams from lesser teams.

Sorry it was a mistype on my part it was supposed to say isn't a bad thing.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Brouwer needs the right fit, just like Bennett does.  They have been trying him in a lot of spots and combinations, but a lot of it is square peg stuff.  Playing him as the extra winger on the top PP unit doesn't work.  He played with Monahan when Monahan and/or Johnny were struggling.  

Take away the stigma of calling it the 4th line and Bouma-Stajan-Brouwer may the best fit.  We were almost there with Versteeg-Stajan-Brouwer.  They played bascally the same minutes as JH-Mony-Ferland.

Since we are talking about Bennett, I would put him with Versteeg and Chaisson for now.  Bennett's Corsi suffers playing with Brouwer.  Chaisson may not be the smartest NHL player, but he is direct.  You know where he is going to go.  You see what you get.  Maybe the added speed on the wing will take some of the defensive pressure off Bennett. 

Moderators should get likes too! 

??

One of the reasons I was so unhappy about the Brouwer contract, aside from the term, was I didn't see the fit. Monahan and he play similar games, slot area, so I didn't think that would work. Backlund and Frolik are just too good together to break up and Brouwer is too slow to keep up with Bennett. Brouwer should be able to play the slot well with Bennett but the problem is he's so far behind the play thst once versteeg and Bennett have created a chanc or the opportunity for a second chance is there the play is usually going the other way. 

Only so much experimenting you can do before you realize the player just just doesn't fit and Brouwer just doesn't fit. I'm sure he fits great in the drsssing room and maybe he can prove me wrong in the playoffs but I'm not seeing it at all.its really too bad that he has to drag down Bennett game too which is tough in a young player. 

In defence of the flames, I think were they saw Brouwe helped was the cycle game. Win battles along the board with his size and keep pucks in. He's really struggled there and that has to be a surprise from what they thought they were getting. 

7 minutes ago, cross16 said:

One of the reasons I was so unhappy about the Brouwer contract, aside from the term, was I didn't see the fit. Monahan and he play similar games, slot area, so I didn't think that would work. Backlund and Frolik are just too good together to break up and Brouwer is too slow to keep up with Bennett. Brouwer should be able to play the slot well with Bennett but the problem is he's so far behind the play thst once versteeg and Bennett have created a chanc or the opportunity for a second chance is there the play is usually going the other way. 

Only so much experimenting you can do before you realize the player just just doesn't fit and Brouwer just doesn't fit. I'm sure he fits great in the drsssing room and maybe he can prove me wrong in the playoffs but I'm not seeing it at all.its really too bad that he has to drag down Bennett game too which is tough in a young player. 

In defence of the flames, I think were they saw Brouwe helped was the cycle game. Win battles along the board with his size and keep pucks in. He's really struggled there and that has to be a surprise from what they thought they were getting. 

I think you are bang on cross, they seemed to want size and some experience to help these youngsters cope. I laugh now because I think if we would have got Versteeg first BT wouldn't have bothered with Brouwer and Chiasson. Now we have 2 to many players we don't really need along RW.

I wonder a bit where Brouwer might have fit if Tkachuk had not stepped in so quickly.  Maybe management didn't realize just how quickly he would make it to the big show.  Our line up would look pretty different without Tkachuk, so maybe Brouwer would have been needed more to provide that grit on a higher line.

7 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I think you are bang on cross, they seemed to want size and some experience to help these youngsters cope. I laugh now because I think if we would have got Versteeg first BT wouldn't have bothered with Brouwer and Chiasson. Now we have 2 to many players we don't really need along RW.

Verteeg signing here may have been because of Brouwer already being here.  I have heard that mentioned.

My ho[e s that Brouwer has a new gear that he shifts to in the playoffs.

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Verteeg signing here may have been because of Brouwer already being here.  I have heard that mentioned.

My ho[e s that Brouwer has a new gear that he shifts to in the playoffs.

I can see the Versteeg/Stajan/Brouwer line clicking, all veteran guys, and none of them are speedsters. I also like that all of them are very sound defensively.

As long as Bennett keeps getting his minutes, this restructuring should work well. 

27 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I seem to recall that it was Brouwer who told BT that Versteeg was in town building his home and to give him a call. If my memory serves me right then your statement above is moot.

19 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

My ho[e hope is that Brouwer has a new gear that he shifts to in the playoffs.

Brouwer was bought in because of his awesome play in last years playoffs for the Blues and his veteran leadership. He apparently fills the leadership role in the dressing room and just needs to start bringing it more on the ice.

He was first thought to be the right player to help Bennett that we all wondered who that might be.

47 minutes ago, DirtyDeeds said:

I seem to recall that it was Brouwer who told BT that Versteeg was in town building his home and to give him a call. If my memory serves me right then your statement above is moot.

Might be moot anyways but I thought it was Brouwer who was building a house here and BT engaged him and his agent in some discussions. I also know Versteeg and Brouwer are good friends so I'm sure there was some influence thrown around. All of this is good for this season, I am not complaining, did I expect more out of Brouwer yes but I am not oblivious to the other elements he brings.

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

I can see the Versteeg/Stajan/Brouwer line clicking, all veteran guys, and none of them are speedsters. I also like that all of them are very sound defensively.

As long as Bennett keeps getting his minutes, this restructuring should work well. 

I think this is a clever way by GG to get Brouwer and Bennett parted. This could be a very line for us in the playoffs.

18 hours ago, MAC331 said:

I think this is a clever way by GG to get Brouwer and Bennett parted. This could be a very line for us in the playoffs.

Maybe that's it. He didn't demote Sam, he's just trying to get him free of Brouwer haha.

I'm still dumbfounded as to why Brouwer is getting PP time while Bennett does not. Yes, I know Brouwer stands in front of the net. 

For the bottom six going forward, I'd like to see:

Versteeg-Bennett-Chaisson

Bouma/Lazar-Stajan-Brouwer

Benny seemed to have a bit more jump last night. One decent scoring chance. Clearly the confidence isn't there right now with the puck. I hope the playoffs can give him a clean slate. For the player that was arguably our best forward in the 2015 playoffs...my biggest fear is he requests a trade if things don't turn around.

10 minutes ago, JA_Boomer said:

Maybe that's it. He didn't demote Sam, he's just trying to get him free of Brouwer haha.

I'm still dumbfounded as to why Brouwer is getting PP time while Bennett does not. Yes, I know Brouwer stands in front of the net. 

Benny seemed to have a bit more jump last night. One decent scoring chance. Clearly the confidence isn't there right now with the puck. I hope the playoffs can give him a clean slate. For the player that was arguably our best forward in the 2015 playoffs...my biggest fear is he requests a trade if things don't turn around.

I think GG is using these last games to get the right line combinations for heading into the playoffs and he should. Bennett is learning and next season should set up better for him with decent line mates. I don't think he goes anywhere or is unhappy.

21 minutes ago, JA_Boomer said:

Bennett gets PK time over PP time, which is appropriate; he's pretty good there.  Since he's a center, he's not going to get PP time while Backlund and Monahan are occupying the spot.  I don't fear Bennett requesting a trade.  He wants to be the next big thing in Calgary, and could actually become a more rounded player than Monahan.  He needs consistent talent on his wings, not a move to another team.

4 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I think GG is using these last games to get the right line combinations for heading into the playoffs and he should. Bennett is learning and next season should set up better for him with decent line mates. I don't think he goes anywhere or is unhappy.

What would about: 

Tkachuk, Bennett, Lazar 

Ferland, Bennett, Lazar

Gaudreau, Monahan, Tkachuk

it'll be fun playing line combos. 

Maybe lazar doesn't play with Bennett in the future and it is Jankowski.

Just now, robrob74 said:

What would about: 

Tkachuk, Bennett, Lazar 

Ferland, Bennett, Lazar

Nice to have options

35 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I'm not saying he's unhappy at the moment. But we've seen throughout the league and even here in Calgary how a player's relationship with the coach/team can sour quickly. I don't think that will happen in this case, but I'm guarded about it.

29 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Bennett gets PK time over PP time, which is appropriate; he's pretty good there.  Since he's a center, he's not going to get PP time while Backlund and Monahan are occupying the spot.  I don't fear Bennett requesting a trade.  He wants to be the next big thing in Calgary, and could actually become a more rounded player than Monahan.  He needs consistent talent on his wings, not a move to another team.

I don't buy the positional argument. I think there's plenty of examples of multiple centers on the same PP unit, and I think it will happen here as well, when Bennett is more productive. My point was that it's frustrating watching Brouwer on the PP when I think Bennett is a more dynamic player that I'd like to see on the PP. If GG thinks the net front presence Brouwer is providing is that impactful, then fine.

29 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

What would about: 

Tkachuk, Bennett, Lazar 

Ferland, Bennett, Lazar

Yes I'm already excited about next year and who can make the the jump. A Jankowki-Bennett-Lazar line would be just fine for me.

38 minutes ago, JA_Boomer said:

I'm not saying he's unhappy at the moment. But we've seen throughout the league and even here in Calgary how a player's relationship with the coach/team can sour quickly. I don't think that will happen in this case, but I'm guarded about it.

I don't buy the positional argument. I think there's plenty of examples of multiple centers on the same PP unit, and I think it will happen here as well, when Bennett is more productive. My point was that it's frustrating watching Brouwer on the PP when I think Bennett is a more dynamic player that I'd like to see on the PP. If GG thinks the net front presence Brouwer is providing is that impactful, then fine.

Yes I'm already excited about next year and who can make the the jump. A Jankowki-Bennett-Lazar line would be just fine for me.

We expect more from Bennett, yet don't put him in a position to be productive. 

GG wants offence from him, yet won't put him on the PP to possibly get him going. Yet how much more productive is Brouwer and he gets PP time. If it's a case where a player has to earn it, how has Brouwer?

35 minutes ago, JA_Boomer said:

You don't have to buy it.  Brouwer is a RW.  Versteeg plays the right point.  Bennett could play as an additional center, but where would he play?  His off-wing already being out of his usual center spot?  If anything, Ferland deserves the ice time on the PP over Bennett.  He plays the top RW spot.  He has a wicked shot.  He hits and can free up the puck on the right side boards.   Ferland gets almost zero PK time, so his minutes are all even-strength.

I have no problem with Bennett at center.  I have a little more problem with using him on wing, let alone RW.

Just now, travel_dude said:

You don't have to buy it.  Brouwer is a RW.  Versteeg plays the right point.  Bennett could play as an additional center, but where would he play?  His off-wing already being out of his usual center spot?  If anything, Ferland deserves the ice time on the PP over Bennett.  He plays the top RW spot.  He has a wicked shot.  He hits and can free up the puck on the right side boards.   Ferland gets almost zero PK time, so his minutes are all even-strength.

I have no problem with Bennett at center.  I have a little more problem with using him on wing, let alone RW.

Gaudreau plays his his left wing, but others want him on the off wing. What hand does Brouwer shoot?

it doesn't matter shooting hands. We have barely any righties anyway. Bennett still has more offence in his pinkies than Brouwer has in his whole body. 

We we want our best chance to score, Brouwer isn't it, nor is he doing it. 

We make such a big deal about hands and positions, yet we have a forward playing D on the PP, versteeg also playing his off wing on regular shifts. Ferland also plays his off wing, and has a great shot and a big body, yet do not play him on the pp either.

16 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Gaudreau plays his his left wing, but others want him on the off wing. What hand does Brouwer shoot?

it doesn't matter shooting hands. We have barely any righties anyway. Bennett still has more offence in his pinkies than Brouwer has in his whole body. 

We we want our best chance to score, Brouwer isn't it, nor is he doing it. 

I'm not arguing for playing Brouwer on the PP.  I think he should come off.  The coach wants to develop Bennett as a center, but people want to move him to the wing or play him on the wing on the PP.  

I have no issue with playing players on the off wing, in fact I suggested it for Gaudreau on the PP.  But he's a winger.  I just don't see the fit for Bennett on the wing on the PP.  Maybe having a C/RW with a RHS on the RW makes more sense, since Lazar can play both.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Doesn't matter that he is a centre, if he is a better scorer he should be getting PP time!  I guess Malkin and Crosby shouldn't both be on the 1st unit because they are both centres????

Ferland should be on pp because "he hits".....that sure makes sense!  Brouwer has done nothing on the PP and brings unit down!  Time to try someone else(Bennett)on the first unit!

Archived