Official Sam Bennett Discussion Thread

flames-fan-911

Well Hudler doesn't seem to have any issue playing with Colborne.  Two point night for him.  He is also very skillfull, which helps Mony absorb the loss of Johnny.  As far as Frolik, you have to give him some time to mesh with Johnny.  Two different styles.

That line should begin to score on breakaways (set up by Johnny) or transition.  

Sam is going to be just fine.  He got the monkey off his back, so he can just focus on what makes him successful.  He is, after all, just 19.  Don't think I heard anyone last night mention that.   :)

I see Hudler and Frolik as very similar players, all I was saying was I believe Gaudreau relates to Hudler so not another guy to get used to while helping Bennett come along. Monahan has the maturity already IMO to adapt and until we get better LW than Colborne they seem to play well together. Frolik's experience and talent can support them.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see Hudler and Frolik as very similar players, all I was saying was I believe Gaudreau relates to Hudler so not another guy to get used to while helping Bennett come along. Monahan has the maturity already IMO to adapt and until we get better LW than Colborne they seem to play well together. Frolik's experience and talent can support them.

I know what you are saying, and I would have been the first to say keep the original line in tact.  But, as Robrob says, it gives them 2 attack lines.  We had 4 goals for the first time in a long time with that set up.  The PP needs work, so we can give them a different look if we like.  

I know what you are saying, and I would have been the first to say keep the original line in tact.  But, as Robrob says, it gives them 2 attack lines.  We had 4 goals for the first time in a long time with that set up.  The PP needs work, so we can give them a different look if we like.  

Both can work, I am happy to see Backlund out of the top two line mix.

Bennett has probably been the Flames best forward for about a week or so now IMO, at least the most consistant high end forward. Gaudreau has outplayed him here and there but Bennett has consistantly brought it for the last 4 or 5 games in my opinion and looks fantastic. He's showing his dynamic one on one skills but what I like best is he is making plays in the neutral zone and d zone too, its not all offence with him so he's come along want in a short period of time but this is the type of player I expect the Flames to have so this is very exciting to see.

If MOnahan could get his game going the Flames could start to establish a top 6 and then move guys like Backlund into a bottom 6 checking role and really start playing to their strengths. I think the mass line juggling hasn't really helped the team at all so far this year although its not like Hartley has had alot of options either.

Ya, on nearly every breakout and zone entry, I want the puck on Bennett's stick.  He comes through the neutral zone with so much speed, opposing D have to respect him and back off the blueline.

Johnny is still the best Flame at entering the zone.  He is something like 70% at this skill.

Johnny is still the best Flame at entering the zone.  He is something like 70% at this skill.

Gaudreau has excellent lateral movement and will win the pylon races because of his stick handling, low center of gravity, and quick acceleration.  Bennett, on the other hand, is much faster in a straight line and attacks the zone with much more aggression.  His strides are more powerful.

D can stand up against Johnny at the blueline but they cannot do that with the way Bennett attacks the zone. Both guys are great at gaining the zone but Bennett has become the better option of the two.

I agree. Gaudreau is the Flames best forwrad, by far I might add, in the offensive zone but I agree that moving through the neutral zone, Bennett has a multi pronged attack that is tough to defend. Can go through you with strength, around you with a deke, or just blaze right past you with his speed.

Gaudreau has excellent lateral movement and will win the pylon races because of his stick handling, low center of gravity, and quick acceleration.  Bennett, on the other hand, is much faster in a straight line and attacks the zone with much more aggression.  His strides are more powerful.

D can stand up against Johnny at the blueline but they cannot do that with the way Bennett attacks the zone. Both guys are great at gaining the zone but Bennett has become the better option of the two.

I've liked Johnny and Bennett on the same line, but the fact that they're our two best players for zone entries maybe argues that they should be separated? The Monahan line has seemed to struggle a bit with zone entries without Gaudreau, particularly Monahan himself, who has been guilty of gaining the zone and then making a pass to nowhere that ends up going back the other way.

I agree. Gaudreau is the Flames best forwrad, by far I might add, in the offensive zone but I agree that moving through the neutral zone, Bennett has a multi pronged attack that is tough to defend. Can go through you with strength, around you with a deke, or just blaze right past you with his speed.

Ya man.  Gaudreau attacks the blueline trying to fake left and go right.  He's trying to make guys miss their poke checks and then he uses his stick handling stills to buy time for his teammates to enter the zone.  D can defend Gaudreau at the blueline and force him to chip and chase, reduce his time with the puck, and beat him along the boards.

Bennett attacks directly at the D with so much speed, he forces the D to choose between gambling at the blueline with a poke check at the expense of giving up a direct line to the front of the net if they miss.  In other words, opposing D have no choice but to give up the blueline and back peddle to protect the path to the front of the net.

This is not to say Gaudreau is not good at gaining the zone.  Quite the opposite.  This is to say Bennett is becoming one of the best we've ever seen coming through the neutral zone with the puck.  He dares the D stand up to him at the blueline and he's very intimidating because of it.

I agree with you, JHG presently is our best option at entering the zone, amongst other things.  Just give the puck to Johnny and watch it happen, so entertaining to watch.

I have to agree with The People on this one. 

In their own ways, both Gaudreau and Bennett are the most dangerous entering the zone. Gaudreau has the edge because he's played in the NHL for a year, but 3 years from now I expect them to be our two driving forces for breaking into the offensive zone. 

I'm not sure if its best to have them on the same line permanantly (right now that seems our best option), or have them each driving two offensive lines. Either way, two very valuable players. 

I have to agree with The People on this one. 

In their own ways, both Gaudreau and Bennett are the most dangerous entering the zone. Gaudreau has the edge because he's played in the NHL for a year, but 3 years from now I expect them to be our two driving forces for breaking into the offensive zone. 

I'm not sure if its best to have them on the same line permanantly (right now that seems our best option), or have them each driving two offensive lines. Either way, two very valuable players. 

Who knows what they will become by the end of the year.  Last year, Johnny and Mony played on different lines but quickly became 2/3 of the best line in the NHL.  The experiment was tried early on,m but didn't really happen until after the new year.

Now we see glimpses of that magic in Johnny and Bennett.  Do we hold off letting it become gold or use it now?  It's nice to have Johnny playing with Mony, but really we need that top 6 LW to add to the roster.  Colborne is a fine (ok) winger, but doesn't warrant 19 minutes a game.  Frolik is a great winger, but we need him for lack of top 6 RW'ers.  

Maybe a line of Johnny-Bennett-Jooris and one of Frolik-Mony-Hudler would  become gold.  Jooris has the same drive as Bennett and has a decent shot.  Frolik and Hudler can play either wing, depending on what works.  Switching them up mid game would confuse the heck out of the defense. :)

You mean like this?

7732cb11aef80df568ab74f5ab746874.gif

Last night was a perfect example of wh y Bennet is becoming so dangerous in the rush. On his assist he collapsed the middle and opened up he shot and on the goal he went right down the middle after the D challenged him. He is becoming such a weapon in the offensive zone and at this pace is likely the flames best offensive weapon, and yes Even better than gaudreau.

JG and Bennett are playing great right now, I would not split them up. Let Hudler and Monahan anchor the second line, they will get going at some point. 

But they have been split up for almost 2 full games.  Johnny/Mony/Hudler is gaining traction again with Hartley.  I was for keepinh them together, but only if Bennett was plating at center.  RW is not a good fit.

• 1 month later...

We are now in Dec I'm curious what ppl think about Bennetts play to date I had him pegged as Calder Champ that has gone out the window but does a lot of thinks right. He has his moments but seem to be fewer and far between in the points category but still is a force on any line looks like. ?  

Archived