Official Sam Bennett Discussion Thread

flames-fan-911

It's time to try this,

Bennett - Monahan - Frolik

Gaudreau - Backlund - Hudler

To me, the magic has always been between Gaudreau and Hudler rather than Gaudreau and Monahan.  Keep Gaudreau and Hudler together.  Give Monahan another LW.  I can see Bennett - Monahan - Frolik as a line that can cycle in the offensive zone very well.

To be honest I don't think Backlund has what it takes to be on the top two lines. I would actually try a line of Gaudreau, Bennett and Hudler, this would be exciting. Try Colborne LW with Monahan and Frolik.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally I would rather see Bennett moved back to Center. I thought he was just starting to get comfortable there and look good and then they moved him back tot he wing. Backlund was solid against Rangers but isn't providing enough offence so i'd rather see Bennett back in the middle and see if they can get a bit more balance.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Hudler

Raymond/Colborne -  Bennett - Frolik

Colborne/Raymond - Backlund - JOnes

Bolig - Stajan - Jooris

is what I would do right now.

Personally I would rather see Bennett moved back to Center. I thought he was just starting to get comfortable there and look good and then they moved him back tot he wing. Backlund was solid against Rangers but isn't providing enough offence so i'd rather see Bennett back in the middle and see if they can get a bit more balance.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Hudler

Raymond/Colborne -  Bennett - Frolik

Colborne/Raymond - Backlund - JOnes

Bolig - Stajan - Jooris

is what I would do right now.

I would go one step further.  Grant was one of the best Flames against the Rags.  So, I would opt for Grant-Bennett-Frolik, Raymond-Backlund-Jones, and Colborne-Stajan-Jooris.  The Johnny line is our only line scoring goals.  When the other start clicking for at least one per game, then we can look at the Johnny-Bennett combo.

Backlund is really struggling in faceoffs this year.  Mony is doing fine, and Bennett is up and down, but ok for a rookie.  Stajan is Stajan.

Why not try Backlund at wing instead of Bennett. He played well on the wing during the lockout.

Backlund, Monahan, Hudler

Gaudreau, Bennett, Frolik

Raymond, Stajan, Jones

Bollig, Jooris, Colborne

Granlund

I don't think Backlund trained much this summer, worried about injury. He almost pulled a muscle in his first skate in Camp.

Maybe it's time to try Arnold up in the bigs?

Why not try Backlund at wing instead of Bennett. He played well on the wing during the lockout.

Backlund, Monahan, Hudler

Gaudreau, Bennett, Frolik

Raymond, Stajan, Jones

Bollig, Jooris, Colborne

Granlund

I don't think Backlund trained much this summer, worried about injury. He almost pulled a muscle in his first skate in Camp.

Maybe it's time to try Arnold up in the bigs?

Arnold will be ready this year, but not now.  He had an unfortunate injury in camp, and hasn't had enough games yet to get up to speed.  He will be an effective 3rd or 4th liner at some point.  Granlund needs to establish his game again.  No point for him to come up now.  He will not get the right assignment and will get sat.

Backlund played with Berglund in an offensive role, during the lockout IIRC.  Unless you line him up with Monahan or Bennett at center, he will struggle on the wing.  He is better as a possession first player, so he is never going to light it up.  That's why I suggest he play apart from a skilled guy like Frolik.  

I prefer Bennett at C. But the coach needs to make a decision. The flip flopping isn't fair to a guy breaking into the league.

I also suggested moving Backlund to wing awhile back. I think Stajan is wasted on the fourth line.

I like:

Gaudreau-Bennett-Hudler

Backlund-Monahan-Frolik

Raymond-Stajan-Jones

Colborne-Grant-Jooris

Keep Hudler and Gaudreau together, but get Bennett going and give him access to Hudler's mentoring.

Monahan has been struggling defensively so put him between Backlund and Frolik to get back on track.

I am flexible with the bottom 6, but I like rewarding the vets by putting them on a line together. Maybe put Colborne on the 2 line and put someone else on the fourth line if Raymond doesn't step up.

I prefer Bennett at C. But the coach needs to make a decision. The flip flopping isn't fair to a guy breaking into the league.

I also suggested moving Backlund to wing awhile back. I think Stajan is wasted on the fourth line.

I like:

Gaudreau-Bennett-Hudler

Backlund-Monahan-Frolik

Raymond-Stajan-Jones

Colborne-Grant-Jooris

Keep Hudler and Gaudreau together, but get Bennett going and give him access to Hudler's mentoring.

Monahan has been struggling defensively so put him between Backlund and Frolik to get back on track.

I am flexible with the bottom 6, but I like rewarding the vets by putting them on a line together. Maybe put Colborne on the 2 line and put someone else on the fourth line if Raymond doesn't step up.

You get my vote, coach.  Not liking what I am seeing right now.  Bennett has been the best player on the ice some nights.  Ok, 2nd best behind Johnny, but he is working his tail off.  His reward is to play with defensive players.  Playing with Johnny, he might actually get a shot on the rush.

I like:

Gaudreau-Bennett-Hudler

Backlund-Monahan-Frolik

Raymond-Stajan-Jones

Colborne-Grant-Jooris

They have to do something with Backlund soon, I think it would be worth trying a line of Backlund LW , Monahan C and Frolik RW. They said they wanted to improve their puck possession time, all of these players especially Backlund are good at this.

I like the jump a Gaudreau, Bennett, Hudler line would provide but here also would be a good puck possession line.

These moves for me allows Colborne to be used as a C where IMO he is most effective but put him with players like Ferland and Jooris or Grant on his wings.

They have to do something with Backlund soon, I think it would be worth trying a line of Backlund LW , Monahan C and Frolik RW. They said they wanted to improve their puck possession time, all of these players especially Backlund are good at this.

I like the jump a Gaudreau, Bennett, Hudler line would provide but here also would be a good puck possession line.

These moves for me allows Colborne to be used as a C where IMO he is most effective but put him with players like Ferland and Jooris or Grant on his wings.

Backlund is a good player on the PK or forecheck.  He is losing too many draws each night, so whoever plays with him is always trying to get the puck back, instead of focusing on possession or offense.  By the time they get the puck back, they have to dump the puck for a change.

Bennett and Gaudreau could be a thing of beauty.  All Bennett needs to start scoring is getting the puck with an opportunity to shoot. Right now, all he can hope for is a greasy goal in the crease.  Those should just be the other chances he gets, not the primary.  A quick shot on net by Johnny, and Sam could get those.  Or a pretty tick-tack-tao play with Hudler (or Frolik).

Monahan is good enough to play with most wingers, so give him some help in the corners.  And make sure he has someone that can pass him the puck when he gets clear.  

Keep in mind, Backlund is already a slow starter and wan't 100% in training camp. I think game by game he is starting to get better and last night was close to him playing his usual game. I think he'll get there, but unforutantely the Flames needed him to get there about 4 or 5 games ago and there are about a dozen other players I would put the same label on.

Keep in mind, Backlund is already a slow starter and wan't 100% in training camp. I think game by game he is starting to get better and last night was close to him playing his usual game. I think he'll get there, but unforutantely the Flames needed him to get there about 4 or 5 games ago and there are about a dozen other players I would put the same label on.

I worry about his faceoff numbers than his offense.  Paired with Gio and Brodie, he was at his finest last year.  At least from a possession standpoint.  But part of that is winning draws and cycling, not spending the whole shift trying to win it back.  I have liked some things I have seen from him, but I question the use of Bennett and Frolik on his wings.  Sure, Sam is learning the defensive side of the game and doing well.  But he is also a player we could use a few goals from.  

Load up Backlund with defensive players and exploit the offensive stars or those capable of putting the puck on net. 

First off, Ferland is out for quite a while so I would rather focus on the here and now. Secondly the 1st line has been good to date so there is no need to change it up. Thirdly, Bennett and Frolik looked good together and frankly Raymond was pretty good with them but I think Colborne might be a better match LT. Backlund was/is great as a contributing shut down line, including Jones and Jooris (assuming injuries) and I'd keep them together. That leaves Stajan with others, who at this moment would be Grant, Raymond and/or Bollig.

I like:

Gaudreau-Bennett-Hudler

Backlund-Monahan-Frolik

Raymond-Stajan-Jones

Colborne-Grant-Jooris

An interesting idea, which builds on your first line strategy:

http://www.matchsticksandgasoline.com/2015/10/27/9621216/for-the-sake-of-his-future-please-take-sean-monahan-off-the-top-line

I don't think the lines could generate any less offense than what we have now.  If our top line isn't scoring, we aren't scoring.

An extremely impressive game by Bennett tonight against the Senators despite the loss. He showed some shades of Matt Duchene and Ryan Nugent Hopkins out there.  Great speed carrying the puck up through the neutral zone and some nice moves to shake off defenders in the offensive zone all night long.  He's slowly showing signs of breaking out in a huge way.  Showing that he's finally starting to "get it". That nice cross zone pass to Russell for Russell's goal wouldn't have happened before but he's increasinly more confident, comfortable, and finally looking around for outlet pass options instead of B-lining to the front of the net all the time.

An extremely impressive game by Bennett tonight against the Senators despite the loss. He showed some shades of Matt Duchene and Ryan Nugent Hopkins out there.  Great speed carrying the puck up through the neutral zone and some nice moves to shake off defenders in the offensive zone all night long.  He's slowly showing signs of breaking out in a huge way.  Showing that he's finally starting to "get it". That nice cross zone pass to Russell for Russell's goal wouldn't have happened before but he's increasinly more confident, comfortable, and finally looking around for outlet pass options instead of B-lining to the front of the net all the time.

SB played a very good game.  Not afraid of the physical play, decent hands, good foot speed, going to the dirty areas and rewarded by tapping in a goal.  I like what SB brought tonight.

Agreed but I also don't think he isn't top 6 material. He is a 3rd line C and they should keep him there.

First off, Ferland is out for quite a while so I would rather focus on the here and now. Secondly the 1st line has been good to date so there is no need to change it up. Thirdly, Bennett and Frolik looked good together and frankly Raymond was pretty good with them but I think Colborne might be a better match LT. Backlund was/is great as a contributing shut down line, including Jones and Jooris (assuming injuries) and I'd keep them together. That leaves Stajan with others, who at this moment would be Grant, Raymond and/or Bollig.

Change of thought on my part. I think Gaudreau draws a lot of confidence playing with Hudler and Bennett could benefit greatly from this with his quickness and speed.

Colborne and Frolik seem to be a better fit of playing style with Monahan. Colborne is getting better each game as the rust comes off.

Backlund teamed with players like Ferland ( when healthy) and Jooris would make for a good shut down line but also capable of added scoring. Bouma (when healthy) with Stajan and Jones gives you the same thing as the 3rd line.

Change of thought on my part. I think Gaudreau draws a lot of confidence playing with Hudler and Bennett could benefit greatly from this with his quickness and speed.

Colborne and Frolik seem to be a better fit of playing style with Monahan. Colborne is getting better each game as the rust comes off.

Backlund teamed with players like Ferland ( when healthy) and Jooris would make for a good shut down line but also capable of added scoring. Bouma (when healthy) with Stajan and Jones gives you the same thing as the 3rd line.

Well Hudler doesn't seem to have any issue playing with Colborne.  Two point night for him.  He is also very skillfull, which helps Mony absorb the loss of Johnny.  As far as Frolik, you have to give him some time to mesh with Johnny.  Two different styles.

That line should begin to score on breakaways (set up by Johnny) or transition.  

Sam is going to be just fine.  He got the monkey off his back, so he can just focus on what makes him successful.  He is, after all, just 19.  Don't think I heard anyone last night mention that.  :)

Bennett was really good tonight. I liked him with Gaudreau. He kept up with Gaudreau a bit better then Monahan does.

Would have liked to see him in OT though.... Some decisions made by this club are baffling.

Weird but it felt like Bennett changed his game when he was playing with Gaudreau.  Like, he was actually looking to pass more than B-line to the front of the net with the puck.  The results were great.  Bennett was hanging onto the puck more, waiting for teammates to get open, and then passing.  He was good at it too.  He doesn't have the size to bowl over players at the NHL level but he definitely has the ability to make sharp cuts and turns that can shake off coverage.

Again, he was blazing through the neutral zone with the puck all night.  More speed and determination than even Johnny.  He looked extremely confident gaining the offensive zone.  I know it's one game but "this is the #1 Center we have been looking for".  A Center who can lead the play, run the offense, and can break down a team's D.

I think Monahan should settle in as the second line Center over time.

The value of putting Bennett with Gaudreau is that Monahan can start working on his defensive game. His value is his great Toews like two way game. But he has been terrible in the offensive zone to start this season.

Take the offensive pressure off and I think it works out much better for his development.

Archived