Official Sam Bennett Discussion Thread

flames-fan-911

With Reinhart, I feel like he did well under Ward but when they changed coaches, Reinhart may not have done enough to wow the new coach. Also, I don't know Reinhart's summer workout, but I heard somewhere, probably the Fan, a few years ago that his family is notorious for not training in the summer.

I had high hopes for Reinhart too, but he's someone who didn't take the next step. The same happened with Baertschi but I think he could play, but didn't develop his 2-way game or the look that he would play the 2-way game. He is like Raymond where he is in the right spots defensively, but not really engaging the opponent. His style makes it look like he isn't trying, but not in a good way.

I think some guys need the years while others like Bennett and Monahan don't. It is the nature of the game.

If Bennett does, Making it his first year is a testament to why he was ranked highly in the draft and was deemed a 1st overall for a better part of his draft year.

It is like this year's draft, the tiers were evident with the top players and then the quality of the players went down every 7-10th rank player.

1-2

3-8

9-15

Etc. just examples. But the pedigree is different among the tiers...

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With Reinhart, I feel like he did well under Ward but when they changed coaches, Reinhart may not have done enough to wow the new coach. Also, I don't know Reinhart's summer workout, but I heard somewhere, probably the Fan, a few years ago that his family is notorious for not training in the summer.

I had high hopes for Reinhart too, but he's someone who didn't take the next step. The same happened with Baertschi but I think he could play, but didn't develop his 2-way game or the look that he would play the 2-way game. He is like Raymond where he is in the right spots defensively, but not really engaging the opponent. His style makes it look like he isn't trying, but not in a good way.

I think some guys need the years while others like Bennett and Monahan don't. It is the nature of the game.

If Bennett does, Making it his first year is a testament to why he was ranked highly in the draft and was deemed a 1st overall for a better part of his draft year.

It is like this year's draft, the tiers were evident with the top players and then the quality of the players went down every 7-10th rank player.

1-2

3-8

9-15

Etc. just examples. But the pedigree is different among the tiers...

I don't agree with this. Reinhart would have been fine as early as 2 years ago on a 3rd or 4th line, once they resigned Stajan there was no where for him to go. This is the definition of being blocked and opportunity lost. I'm sure hr will go on and have a good NHL career.

Reinhart never earned a spot and he had ample opporutnity to do so. YOu don't give a propsect a spot just becuase they are a propsect they have to earn it. The Flames signed Stajan because he was the best option for them at the time and if Rinahrt was good enough to upseat Stajan he would have.

People now seem tot think that all prospects need to be giving a chance and just get put on the roster but it doens't work that way. The Flames need to win and to win you need your best players and Reinhart was never one of the best 23 players the Flames had.

And another who wants to accuse the Flames of "blocking" propsects I think its ridiculous. In the last several years how many rookies have made this team and played a role? Josh Jooris was an undrafted free agent and he made this team becuase he was good enough too and becuase he was the Flames put him on the team. Everyone just wants to hand prospects jobs based on the fact that they were draft picks and draft picks apparantly deserve roster spots. Just remember, draft picks fail more often than they succeed so when it doesn't work out maybe look at the player himself rather then blame the organization.

Reinhart never earned a spot and he had ample opporutnity to do so. YOu don't give a propsect a spot just becuase they are a propsect they have to earn it. The Flames signed Stajan because he was the best option for them at the time and if Rinahrt was good enough to upseat Stajan he would have.

People now seem tot think that all prospects need to be giving a chance and just get put on the roster but it doens't work that way. The Flames need to win and to win you need your best players and Reinhart was never one of the best 23 players the Flames had.

And another who wants to accuse the Flames of "blocking" propsects I think its ridiculous. In the last several years how many rookies have made this team and played a role? Josh Jooris was an undrafted free agent and he made this team becuase he was good enough too and becuase he was the Flames put him on the team. Everyone just wants to hand prospects jobs based on the fact that they were draft picks and draft picks apparantly deserve roster spots. Just remember, draft picks fail more often than they succeed so when it doesn't work out maybe look at the player himself rather then blame the organization.

It is a fact of life in all sports cross whether you want to realize it as such or not. There are any number of players that can make and play effectively on any NHL team's 3rd or 4th lines. There decision to resign Stajan likely had nothing to do with whether reinhart knocked the door down or not. Also I wasn't blaming anyone so don't accuse me of it.

It is a fact of life in all sports cross whether you want to realize it as such or not. There are any number of players that can make and play effectively on any NHL team's 3rd or 4th lines. There decision to resign Stajan likely had nothing to do with whether reinhart knocked the door down or not. Also I wasn't blaming anyone so don't accuse me of it.

I guess that depends on your definition of "effective". Reinhart had one good season in the AHL, the other two he was very ineffective, especially considering his teammates were better this past season then the other two years. The flames have been more then willing to slot in rookies, but I wouldnt be suprised if they kept stajan around because of leadership presence and experience. I really doubt that the flames would have traded him if he was knocking down the door and being so effective though, maybe moved him to the wing. The fact is he wasent going anywhere in this organization because we have better prospects and he wasent bringing it. 

The post was not directed at anyone in particular it was directed at the theme that i've seen developing which is furstraing becuase I don't think its based on fact.

You assume he could have, yet he had how many training camps to prove he was ready? He had how many AHL seasons to prove he was ready? He had players outplay him and move him down the depth chart. I could see Reinhart go and play on someone's 4th line somewhere but on a team as good as the Flames he wasn't going to make it because he wasn't good enough.

Yes players get blocked all the time but typically its becasue they are being blocked by someone who is better then them, not becuase the organization is not willing to give them a chance. That is my point, the better player IMO will eventually rise up about 95% of the time.

The post was not directed at anyone in particular it was directed at the theme that i've seen developing which is furstraing becuase I don't think its based on fact.

You assume he could have, yet he had how many training camps to prove he was ready? He had how many AHL seasons to prove he was ready? He had players outplay him and move him down the depth chart. I could see Reinhart go and play on someone's 4th line somewhere but on a team as good as the Flames he wasn't going to make it because he wasn't good enough.

Yes players get blocked all the time but typically its becasue they are being blocked by someone who is better then them, not becuase the organization is not willing to give them a chance. That is my point, the better player IMO will eventually rise up about 95% of the time.

Sometimes by a better player, sometimes by someone with more experience the org isn't ready to move on from yet. It could be from a pure balance theory from the team's perspective. At some point the org has to take a leap of faith that the prospect with some experience of his own will be the better player. the Flames have taken a few leaps of faith lately with Monahan, Gaudreau and now Bennett because they know with experience they will become the stars players they expect. Many players lower down like Reinhart or even Poirier see spot duty from injuries and I see comments like "he didn't do much with his chances", give me a break, sometimes I think people need to manage their expectations better.

Rather than respond to a particular post, I will just make some general observations.  

Reinhart was never good enough in his callups.  He was adequate when we were not playing at a high level.  He had a good AHL season, when he played with Granlund IIRC.  Street also played well that year, almost reaching Max's total.  Street is not a NHL player either.  Maybe Max will find his game in a new org, but we will see.

When I am talking about projected lines, I am basing it on how I see a player developing.  Arnold is a good example.  He has the tools to take it to the next level.  Between him, Hayes and Johnny, he is the only one that didn't make the NHL club this year.  The injury derailed that.

I don't believe in gifting a player a roster spot.  If there are 17 guys fighting for 14 spots, the best should get it.  Not just because a guy has a vet contract.  Not just because the vet played last year.  Not just because a prospect is a certain age or pedigree.

Johnny made the team out of camp, and had to bring it every game before his 9 game tryout was due to end.  He showed as the best forward in the Young Stars and one of the best in pre-season.

Monahan started off his rookie year on a tear.  He made it impossible to sit him prior to 10 games.  He regressed a bit, but he was good enough at that point to be a 20 goal scorer.

Jooris and Ferland were two of the last cuts.

Sam has shown what he is capable of in the toughest games of the season.  He is going to make it impossible to not be in the NHL.  I guess he could go back to junior, but that doesn't fit in my mind.  He was around the Flames more last year than he was in junior.

Flames developed player like starting in the NHL. Backlund, Bouma, Jooris, Ferland, Monahan, Gaudreau, Bennett, and Brodie. Last season Jooris caused Raymond to be scratched, Granlund caused Stajan to get bumped to the fourth line, and McGrattan and Setoguchi were demoted to the AHL.

Anyone suggesting that the Flames haven't: A- provided their prospects with opportunity and B- been successful with development; are completely off base.

Putting a few names up of prospects that didn't make it without the context of all of the prospects that did is incredibly one sided and lacks any basis in reality.

I think the Flames makes some mistakes with Baertschi going back to the previous administration. But it's still on him that he didn't make it (and he still might make it). Hanowski lacks the wheels and Reinhart lacks the overall skill.

Every team has prospects that don't make it. Most prospects don't make it.

Using JH, Mony, and Bennett as a comparison to prospects that didn't make it is funny. Everyone has an opinion including myself. I think there should be a rating system on these topics so we can rate a persons comments, judging opinion, insight, related topic info, and just plain old stupid comment. I am not trying to offend anyone on here but some people talk as though they "know" when all see is they have very strong opinions. (I am guilty of this at times I am sure) When it comes to why prospects don't make the big club who knows what the reason may be, all in all we have seen some leave that may or may not have been solid NHL players but I belive over the past few years we have as a team made the correct moves. 

Name me a few propects that have left the team over the past few years that could have really made a difference on the team we have today because I can't seem to think of any? Is there any playing in the NHL today?

Ya it doesn't do anyone much good to sit here and talk about would've and could've.

I think there is a major portion of development responsibility that falls on the organization to make sure that they are putting a player in the right places to develop confidence and keep them motivated.

However, ultimately it comes down to the prospect, if you are on a team with Matt Stajan as a 4th line center, you work as hard as you can to better than him or you wait for a trade or injury.

Back to the question I asked to get this thread up and running again. It looks like Bennett has added 15 pounds over the summer and is now 190. I'm looking forward to big things from Sam!

I don't know about the rest of the players Rein and Han just didn't cut it I guess. Sven I suggested to trade after his second and third yr only because he had the pre maddna effect and as soon as he would start to play well he would end up in the injury reserve seemed as soon as he had to work harder he would play sick just my thoughts on Sven I was very excited about him at first.There was also a Goalie I was very High on Boissoitt I thought he would become a very good goalie given time they didn't even give him 2 yrs and he was out I thought that was a mistake and still think it is going to bit us in the Behind I can say behind can't I ?

I don't know about the rest of the players Rein and Han just didn't cut it I guess. Sven I suggested to trade after his second and third yr only because he had the pre maddna effect and as soon as he would start to play well he would end up in the injury reserve seemed as soon as he had to work harder he would play sick just my thoughts on Sven I was very excited about him at first.There was also a Goalie I was very High on Boissoitt I thought he would become a very good goalie given time they didn't even give him 2 yrs and he was out I thought that was a mistake and still think it is going to bit us in the Behind I can say behind can't I ?

I liked Brossoit as well, but he was a big part of a trade that brought over the Oilers best D-man (at the time) so it's not like any of the management had given up on him.

Lets keep the discussion on Bennett folks. 

Back to the question I asked to get this thread up and running again. It looks like Bennett has added 15 pounds over the summer and is now 190. I'm looking forward to big things from Sam!

His size definitely showed yesterday when he was playing like Bobby Clarke.  He took no crap from Morissey who had slashed his skate earlier.  He finished his checks even when he was targeted.  The kid is the all around package deal.  His shoulder shows no worse for wear either. Heh.

His size definitely showed yesterday when he was playing like Bobby Clarke.  He took no crap from Morissey who had slashed his skate earlier.  He finished his checks even when he was targeted.  The kid is the all around package deal.  His shoulder shows no worse for wear either. Heh.

Yeah, I noticed that slash to the back of the legs from Morrissey. I liked how, when the Jets were taking runs at him, he usually layed them out. He definitely looks stronger as it seemed nobody could knock him over, or off the puck, for that matter

Yeah, I noticed that slash to the back of the legs from Morrissey. I liked how, when the Jets were taking runs at him, he usually layed them out. He definitely looks stronger as it seemed nobody could knock him over, or off the puck, for that matter

ya 15 pounds of muscle is a nice added touch for him hey. If bennett was potting some of these chances that would be nice, but he has been so relentless on the puck. I cant wait to see him in main camp, if he keeps up this intensity while potting some chances that would be nice. 

On another note, still laughing to myself about mcdavid getting crushed by virtanen the other night, if he doesnt get his head up hes going to get rocked in the big league.

He looked good, but I felt he tried to do a bit too much at times, he may have had a Gaudreau-esque highlight in the back of his mind.

I don't think that will be a problem in the big leagues though. In the playoffs he was chipping, crashing and banging more than trying to dangle and was way more effective.

As a sidenote, i think there's a chance we may end up seeing the burnt year on his ELC as a positive. Because really he signs after his sophomore year. I think there's a good chance he could go 1m cheaper on a long term deal (4.5 instead of 5.5 for 5 years for example) if he follow a normal developmental curve.

OK I think Bennett will make the team this year.

Of course Bennett will make the Team who do we have that is as dynamic after the top line besides Bennett? The only 1 I think that is close is Poirier and I'm hoping he is there this yr pushes out Bollig then we will have some speed happening on most all lines. Time to move out Bollig and a few others like Raymond maybe we could get a bag of pucks a couple of hockey sticks and drop some cash off of the team. I can dream

Of course Bennett will make the Team who do we have that is as dynamic after the top line besides Bennett? The only 1 I think that is close is Poirier and I'm hoping he is there this yr pushes out Bollig then we will have some speed happening on most all lines. Time to move out Bollig and a few others like Raymond maybe we could get a bag of pucks a couple of hockey sticks and drop some cash off of the team. I can dream

If poirier was to push for a spot in training camp I really doubt he would find himself on stajans wing on the 4th line. I would actually be ok with keeping bollig around, hes the perfect 13th forward guy to sit in the press box. IF poirier makes the team I wouldnt be suprised if they put him on bennetts wing, with a veteran like frolik on the other side and then giving them sheltered minutes.

Bennett should make the team.   99% sure.

But there is always that 1%.   He has been okay, but not great so far this year.   Hopefully just some rust that needs to be shaken off.

The Oilers game was an example of loosey goosey play.  No structure, just everyone batting at the puck. I saw one sequence where 6 different players touched the puck in the space of 5 seconds.  Bennett and Poirier both play a structured game.  

Sam Bennett looks NHL-ready based on his showing at the Younstars Tournament and he will defintely make the team.  The more important question though is, is Sam Bennett 2nd line NHL-ready? or 4th line NHL-ready?  Based on his two games, it's hard to see him playing big minutes with much success.  I think he needs to be sheltered either in a 4th line role or a 3rd line role, and then be given PP time to boost his offensive confidence and pad the stats.

Monahan and Gaudreau came into the NHL under similar circumstances and it helped them get used to the speed of the NHL before they became top line players.  I would revise my opening night lines to look something like this,

Gaudreau - Monahan - Hudler

Bouma - Backlund - Frolik

Ferland - Stajan - Jones

Bollig - Bennett - Jooris

x: Raymond

Sam Bennett looks NHL-ready based on his showing at the Younstars Tournament and he will defintely make the team.  The more important question though is, is Sam Bennett 2nd line NHL-ready? or 4th line NHL-ready?  Based on his two games, it's hard to see him playing big minutes with much success.  I think he needs to be sheltered either in a 4th line role or a 3rd line role, and then be given PP time to boost his offensive confidence and pad the stats.

Monahan and Gaudreau came into the NHL under similar circumstances and it helped them get used to the speed of the NHL before they became top line players.  I would revise my opening night lines to look something like this,

Gaudreau - Monahan - Hudler

Bouma - Backlund - Frolik

Ferland - Stajan - Jones

Bollig - Bennett - Jooris

x: Raymond

I don't think you do Bennet any good by playing him on the 4th line with Bolig and Jooris. Thats the Suter way to develop prospects and i think we all saw how that worked out.

I think the Flames have done a great job lately by giving top prospcts a chance to succeed but not asking too much. i agree that Bennett should play sheltered minutes, just like Gaudreau and Monahan did at first, but in a better role then the 4th line. Bennet came up in the playoffs and was able to play with top 6 calibre linemates and didn't look out of place. i think you do the exact same thing, put him in positions where he has a chance to succeed offensivly and that means playing with guys in a top 9 role. i think the whole 2nd/3rd line thing is oveblown because obviously you won't want him in hard matchups but you also don't want him to create something using bolig and Jooris.

Archived