Official Sam Bennett Discussion Thread

flames-fan-911

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doesn't matter where he plays he will kick tires LOL. sorry have no Idea where the adult content starts and ends seems all rules don't pertain to all visitors. I know Whaaaaa moving on If Bennett plays next yr the way he plays now in reg season Im in the belief he will become a force to recon with and will win the Calder that is my perdition. :D

He might be up against what some claim are a couple of generational talents..

If Gaudreau wins the Calder then there's no way Bennett wins it next year.  Buuuuut...if Gaudreau doesn't win it then I think the NHL owes us and Bennett should get it next year if he can keep up this level of play.  :D

I agree that Bennett looks to be NHL ready.  There will be a lot of 1st year players (if you count Stone and Forsberg as 1st year) that put up many, many points in 2015/16.  I care less about the hardware this year, except that Johnny did what no other player his size has done in his first NHL year.  That is by itself award-worthy.  Bennett putting up the same number next year is an accomplishment, but is it the same kind of thing?  If McD plays next year, he will likely get lots of opportunity to score. Generational?  Haven't even seen the kid play a shift in the NHL.  The OHL is a different league.  The NHL Western Conference is tough.  Ask Nate how hard it was for him to remain healthy.

Bennett could very well put up more points here in calgary then Mcdavid, success a the OHL level doesnt necessarily translate to NHL success. Also this season has seen a decline in scoring overall, so who knows what will happen. Mcdavid may well have a bad first season if not surronded with right veterans.

Please.. let's not start the discussion, if Sam Bennett will win the Calder next year. Let's wait until January next Year. This already sounds like the McDavid Discussion on the Oilers board.

Sam is good and I hope he will score a lot of points, but I am more interested in the steady improvement (as Monahan did) then a big bang start and maybe a sophomore slump in the second season.

Really excited to see the ongoing career of this player,

He has a better nose for the net than anyone except Gaudreau. Everything he does is to funnel pucks to the front of the net or slot and I like how at 18, and undersized weight wise, he is willing to go to the front of the net in amongst the trees to knock pucks in.

Love Monahan when healthy for his passing, scoring touch, but Bennett actually has more scoring prowess.

I think BH is pretty good at helping the players develop, I think alot of the success of our rookies is due to him. Hes such a good teacher and seems to have a great sense of what the players need. I wouldnt talk about the calder next year for bennett but the idea of him going against mcdavid for the first season is intriguing. Bennett is a better offensive talent then monahan is, but they both play a different game. 

Weight wise how much do you think hes gunna put on? hes playing at 178 lbs, I dont really see him putting on more then 190lbs, but thats just me.

Really excited to see the ongoing career of this player,

He has a better nose for the net than anyone except Gaudreau. Everything he does is to funnel pucks to the front of the net or slot and I like how at 18, and undersized weight wise, he is willing to go to the front of the net in amongst the trees to knock pucks in.

Love Monahan when healthy for his passing, scoring touch, but Bennett actually has more scoring prowess.

Most average players receive a pass and then look up to see where to make the play.  Bennett thinks before receiving the pass and once he gets the puck, he makes the play with no hesitation and no second guessing.  It's very Crosby'esk minus the passing vision.  Bennett would do better with a cannonball build like a Lance Bouma of sorts to sacrifice speed for muscle. 

I'm think more Gary Robert'esh he will be tuff and in your face type player in the future a Crash and Banger with a nose for the net. We have the makings of a Flames of the late 80's we have Mono (peplinski) with more scoring ability JH a (Jo Mullen) Gio (Ramage) Brodie maybe (Suter) Hudler (hokan loob). Ok perhaps we have a few yrs to go but we do have the makings and hey we got a win Jets can't say the same :P

Bennett looks good for an 18 year old 10 games into his career. But let's not get carried away with the Calder talk.

As for his position, I think he starts at wing next season barring injuries. Stajan, Backlund, and Monahan are probably with the team next season. Plus you have Granlund and others looking for a spot. It's also an easier player for him to learn the ropes in.

That said, I hope they move him to C. If not day one, then at some point. Long term that is where we need him.

• 2 weeks later...

Bennett looks good for an 18 year old 10 games into his career. But let's not get carried away with the Calder talk.

As for his position, I think he starts at wing next season barring injuries. Stajan, Backlund, and Monahan are probably with the team next season. Plus you have Granlund and others looking for a spot. It's also an easier player for him to learn the ropes in.

That said, I hope they move him to C. If not day one, then at some point. Long term that is where we need him.

Not that I don't agree with you, but in the Playoffs he took a few shifts at C. So maybe it will be much the same where he gets to play C from time to time, just so he continues to play it and keep his sensibilities about him, at the position. 

I'm think more Gary Robert'esh he will be tuff and in your face type player in the future a Crash and Banger with a nose for the net. We have the makings of a Flames of the late 80's we have Mono (peplinski) with more scoring ability JH a (Jo Mullen) Gio (Ramage) Brodie maybe (Suter) Hudler (hokan loob). Ok perhaps we have a few yrs to go but we do have the makings and hey we got a win Jets can't say the same :P

Where's Big Al? Joey Niewendyk?

A few pieces away. but it's building. 

Most average players receive a pass and then look up to see where to make the play.  Bennett thinks before receiving the pass and once he gets the puck, he makes the play with no hesitation and no second guessing.  It's very Crosby'esk minus the passing vision.  Bennett would do better with a cannonball build like a Lance Bouma of sorts to sacrifice speed for muscle. 

What I liked about him, in comparison to the rookie camp and main camp, was, he didn't force his way through defenders and was using his line mates. In the rookie and main camp, i felt he held on to the puck for a bit too long. They spread out enough to utilize one another effectively.

He's an interesting player to watch.  Zima wasn't far off the mark when he mentioned Gary Roberts.  He certainly keeps the revs up when he's on the ice.  Pre-draft, I thought he's OHL PM stats pointed to a guy who plays with an edge.  Having watched him in the NHL, it seems like his penalty minutes aren't so much from grittiness as they are from a single-minded, balls-out desire to get the puck and/or go to the net.

I'm with kehatch regarding next season.  I believe the Flames will start him on the wing in order to get him minutes and then ease him into a center role as the opportunities present themselves.  

Hey robrob I did a few yrs down the road and you never know what Sieloff could bring to the show I would also love to see what the Russian Rafikov could bring to the table just ot name a few. Also I believe the time Bennett practice with the team last few month before joining the team probably helped him transition into the flames line up way easier.

Bennett will need to beef up some before next season in order to have the effect we want out of him. He did OK in these games but he has a lot of junior in his game that needs improving. Much like Gaudreau I want to see him stay healthy in order to see what he gives the team over a full season.

Bennett will need to beef up some before next season in order to have the effect we want out of him. He did OK in these games but he has a lot of junior in his game that needs improving. Much like Gaudreau I want to see him stay healthy in order to see what he gives the team over a full season.

The more Sam Bennett plays, the more i see why scouts didn't have him #1 and why a few GMs passed on a chance to draft him.

Simply, Bennett plays like he's 6'-4" 225 lbs and wants to plow over Dmen on his way to the front of the net everytime he's close enough to the front of the net with the puck.  That would work if he was actually 6'-4" 225 lbs.  Problem is, he's 6'-0" 180 lbs.  There is a big disconnect between the size of his heart and the size of his body.  I'm afraid he won't actually be able to do a lot of the things his heart desires.  It's a physical challenge.

As an extreme example, can you image Johnny Gaudreau trying to plow over Dmen trying to get to the front of the net?  Forget about it.  Johnny has to play a smart game and use his small stature, quick agility, etc, to make plays.  Even if Johnny's heart truly desires to plow over Dmen to the front of the net, it won't happen. It's just physics.

Bennett may eventually become 6'-1" 195 lbs pure muscle (which is closer to what Jarome Iginla was on his last few years as a Flames).  When he is, he "could" be very successful.  That kind of body will probably take another year or two to refine.  In the meantime, I'd like to see Bennett with more patience and vision with the puck and learn to play a "smaller man's game".  He can't play like he's 6'-4" 225 lbs all the time. 

During the playoffs, Bennett seems to rush things and didn't realize how much time and space he has.  He also didn't appear to see the back door play and see his man open at the far side of the ice.  This is probably because he doesn't think pass.  He's a shoot first kind of player.  Or better yet, a bring-it-to-the-front-of-the-net kind of player.  If he's going to be "Doug Gilmour", then he needs some work with his puck patience.

I'd like to also see perimeter shooting power.  During the playoffs, he didn't really take many shots from the outside and when he did, they didn't look NHL caliber. Right now he's not a threat to score unless he's 6 feet from the net and that becomes easy to defend against cause he's not that big.

All in all, not saying he sucks but just saying there's reasons why he will struggle until he actually puts on the muscles.  He plays too much of a big man's game that if he's not a big man, then he won't succeed. 

The more Sam Bennett plays, the more i see why scouts didn't have him #1 and why a few GMs passed on a chance to draft him.

Simply, Bennett plays like he's 6'-4" 225 lbs and wants to plow over Dmen on his way to the front of the net everytime he's close enough to the front of the net with the puck. That would work if he was actually 6'-4" 225 lbs. Problem is, he's 6'-0" 180 lbs. There is a big disconnect between the size of his heart and the size of his body. I'm afraid he won't actually be able to do a lot of the things his heart desires. It's a physical challenge.

As an extreme example, can you image Johnny Gaudreau trying to plow over Dmen trying to get to the front of the net? Forget about it. Johnny has to play a smart game and use his small stature, quick agility, etc, to make plays. Even if Johnny's heart truly desires to plow over Dmen to the front of the net, it won't happen. It's just physics.

Bennett may eventually become 6'-1" 195 lbs pure muscle (which is closer to what Jarome Iginla was on his last few years as a Flames). When he is, he "could" be very successful. That kind of body will probably take another year or two to refine. In the meantime, I'd like to see Bennett with more patience and vision with the puck and learn to play a "smaller man's game". He can't play like he's 6'-4" 225 lbs all the time.

During the playoffs, Bennett seems to rush things and didn't realize how much time and space he has. He also didn't appear to see the back door play and see his man open at the far side of the ice. This is probably because he doesn't think pass. He's a shoot first kind of player. Or better yet, a bring-it-to-the-front-of-the-net kind of player. If he's going to be "Doug Gilmour", then he needs some work with his puck patience.

I'd like to also see perimeter shooting power. During the playoffs, he didn't really take many shots from the outside and when he did, they didn't look NHL caliber. Right now he's not a threat to score unless he's 6 feet from the net and that becomes easy to defend against cause he's not that big.

All in all, not saying he sucks but just saying there's reasons why he will struggle until he actually puts on the muscles. He plays too much of a big man's game that if he's not a big man, then he won't succeed.

Im sorry, but what? Your saying Sam is failing because Hes not big and strong enough to plow through people and he can't shoot the puck?

For an 18 year old that missed 90% of the year and started his NHL career on the last day of the season id say that kid did pretty damn well. Id say your expectations and the way you see him on the ice are a little skewed, i never expected him to play like a veteran right out of the gate, didn't even really expect him to score but for a kid to come into the playoffs and not only play like he can handle himself but be an impact player on a nightly basis is nothing short of remarkable.

Going forward Sam may very well not only be the best player on this team but the best over all from his daft class. The maturation of his game based solely on the last month of this season will give him a running start for the Calder next season and his training through out the summer, I fully expect to see a bigger, stronger, faster version at training camp who will be ready to hit the ground running.

By all accounts, Sam should have catapulted us into the third round of the playoffs, it was because he didn't pass backdoor…. 

WOW! 

I hope you got the sarcasm, because that's just a bit of over criticism here Peeps. We definitely shouldn't have picked him at all. More sarcasm. 

It's his first year, he will learn patience. 

Peeps, you sound like Yoda. "NOPE, TOO OLD, too old to be a Jedi… The boy has no patience!"

Apparently it's you who lacks patience.

Im sorry, but what? Your saying Sam is failing because Hes not big and strong enough to plow through people and he can't shoot the puck?

That's not what he said at all..

He's talking about his IQ and being aware of his limitations and reworking his strategy on the ice to his strengths, instead of trying to plow thru and failing due to being unaware of his own limitations.

There are a tonne of ways to be successfull in the league with every body type imaginable... He just has to learn the ideal approach for himself that will be the most effective for a long and successfull career....

There are lots of smaller players that play like spark plugs. Bennett is one of those. That's his MO and part of what makes him special. It also isn't like this guy is super tiny. Think Bouma with a lot of skill.

Regardless, he hasn't earned criticism. He has been great so far. No need to poop the party.

Archived