Official Sam Bennett Discussion Thread

flames-fan-911

In the third period tonight Bennett was dropped to the third line and Raymond moved up. Was this an effort to spread out offence by Hartley?

I think it's more, getting more going. Stajan and Ferland were going. Raymond wasn't. Bennett was most of the night. Backlund played alright, but was fighting the puck a bit. 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the third period tonight Bennett was dropped to the third line and Raymond moved up. Was this an effort to spread out offence by Hartley?

Honestly, I Hartly could tell that those two lines weren't firing well as the other two were so he tried mixing things up.

And indeed not one of those 6 forwards had a point tonight. 

Those lines may need a change-around for the next series.

Id be curious to see Bennett-Jooris-Colborne and Bouma (if healthy) or Raymond - Backlund - ???

I'd much prefer to see Bouma there, but I don't know if he'll be back. Raymond hasn't been bad, but fair point that he hasnt been good either.

Wolf Maybe, but he's not putting up much in numbers I don't think. Maybe move Ferlund up to that line?

Against the Ducks, it wouldn't hurt to have Ferlund and Bollig both in for each game. Its going to be physical.

Gudreau - Monahan - Hudler

Bennet - Jooris - Colborne

Ferlund - Backlund - Granlund or Poirier maybe?

Bollig - Stajan - Jones

Personally I think we should bring up Wolf to play on the other side of Ferland and if Bouma comes back have him center the line.

And Wolf did lead the AHL team in goals this year some he is putting up the numbers. With Anaheim being a bigger team Wolf would help in puck control and he battles well in the corners.

To me it looked like Bennett was fighting the puck a bit last night, and was having issues with the tight checking. Just all part of the learning and debelopmt process for a young kid.

I'd much prefer to see Bouma there, but I don't know if he'll be back. Raymond hasn't been bad, but fair point that he hasnt been good either.

Wolf Maybe, but he's not putting up much in numbers I don't think. Maybe move Ferlund up to that line?

Against the Ducks, it wouldn't hurt to have Ferlund and Bollig both in for each game. Its going to be physical.

Gudreau - Monahan - Hudler

Bennet - Jooris - Colborne

Ferlund - Backlund - Granlund or Poirier maybe?

Bollig - Stajan - Jones

Why mess with the lines that have been successful up to this point. The Ferland/Stajan/Jones line did a good job of shutting down the Sedin line, let's see what they can against the Getzlaf/Perry line.

Personally I think we should bring up Wolf to play on the other side of Ferland and if Bouma comes back have him center the line.

And Wolf did lead the AHL team in goals this year some he is putting up the numbers. With Anaheim being a bigger team Wolf would help in puck control and he battles well in the corners.

I don't think you touch Ferland's line, they're rolling. You have Jones and Stajan who are quite dependable, but bring speed as well. 

Bennett is playing too good with Backlund to break them up, while Colborne and Backlund were a tad off last night and Bennett tried to get going but the other two weren't going with him. 

Then I'd certainly take Wolf in over Raymond at this point.

To me it looked like Bennett was fighting the puck a bit last night, and was having issues with the tight checking. Just all part of the learning and debelopmt process for a young kid.

Why mess with the lines that have been successful up to this point. The Ferland/Stajan/Jones line did a good job of shutting down the Sedin line, let's see what they can against the Getzlaf/Perry line.

I'm not concerned about the Ferlund line, or the Monahan line, but the other two don't look quite up t speed. They need to be shuffled to get going.

Honestly, I don't like Bennett with Backlund, I'm not seeing the chemistry there.

Then I'd certainly take Wolf in over Raymond at this point.

I'm not concerned about the Ferlund line, or the Monahan line, but the other two don't look quite up t speed. They need to be shuffled to get going.

Honestly, I don't like Bennett with Backlund, I'm not seeing the chemistry there.

First off its Ferland not Ferlund.

I wouldn't risk the chemistry of the Monahan or Stajan lines to get the other two going. I don't mind the Bollig/Jooris line as their main job is to be an energy line and be solid defensively and I think they have done that. As far as the Backlund line I am not sure what you can do to change it up other than put Raymond up there and move Bennett to the 4th line.

I wouldn't risk the chemistry of the Monahan or Stajan lines to get the other two going. I don't mind the Bollig/Jooris line as their main job is to be an energy line and be solid defensively and I think they have done that. As far as the Backlund line I am not sure what you can do to change it up other than put Raymond up there and move Bennett to the 4th line.

Hard to have a good answer for that. I did find that Bennett and Colborne seemed to work well together.

Perhaps:

Bennett - Jooris - Colborne

Wolf - Backlund - Bollig

?

I don't have a good answer, but some juggling needs to be done.

So I was at the cunckleheads forum and to be precise  forum the Bennet forum If some one here has a login for them some one should inform them that all there whining about penalties won us the game last nigh is just ridicules although we did have 1 more power play than them it had nothing to do with JH or Benny and Ferland  doesn't have wings so I don't know how he was flying around the ring hitting every thing 9in site and getting away with it and there pour team just couldn't catch a break. I tried to sign up but don't like my email address what a bunch of whiners. LOL

[MOD EDIT: Filter dodging]

I don't think you touch Ferland's line, they're rolling. You have Jones and Stajan who are quite dependable, but bring speed as well. 

Bennett is playing too good with Backlund to break them up, while Colborne and Backlund were a tad off last night and Bennett tried to get going but the other two weren't going with him.

The biggest liability on the ice last night was the Bollig/Jooris/Raymond line, and that is not to say Jooris and Bollig played that bad. Jorris is a tough but disciplined player that got called for a marginal play. Bollig has provided some hits and a vet presence to the 4th line. Raymond is one problem, but the other is chemistry. Raymond is not a solid player; he plays too soft on the puck and tirns it over when he tries to pass or cycle. He is a fast skating offense-only LW.

Bennett is one of the reasons we beat the Nucks. He belongs on this team.

The biggest liability on the ice last night was the Bollig/Jooris/Raymond line, and that is not to say Jooris and Bollig played that bad. Jorris is a tough but disciplined player that got called for a marginal play. Bollig has provided some hits and a vet presence to the 4th line. Raymond is one problem, but the other is chemistry. Raymond is not a solid player; he plays too soft on the puck and tirns it over when he tries to pass or cycle. He is a fast skating offense-only LW.

Bennett is one of the reasons we beat the Nucks. He belongs on this team.

Exactly with Bennett.

I am starting to feel bad with the way I talk about Raymond. I feel like there was a point in last night's game, when it was still scoreless, where the Nuck player was skating up their right side in their zone and Raymond just skated with him when he could have laid him out. I know it's not Raymond's game, but he's gotta rub the guy out just to make him think about it. It's hockey. Right after that they started getting zone time and scored. It was prime for the taking but it didn't happen. It's those little things that add up, which is why I believe Baertschi isn't on the team. I think Baertschi would have had the same amount, if not more, as Raymond had this year. But that's another argument. 

I say,

Gaudreau, Monahan, Hudler

Bennett, Backlund, Colborne

Ferland, Stajan, Jones

Bollig, Granlund, Jooris

Although, Jooris also started the Canucks scoring spree when he didn't get his stick on the puck to clear it. It was right there, and I think he looked up and tried to do something with it prior to it getting to his stick. They scored on the play.

The decision point for me with Raymond was when we were defending in our own zone, he got his stick on the puck and deflected it to the side wall... and then sat there waiting for someone else to go in to fight for it. A good two seconds ticked by before he realized no one else was close enough to and jumped in. Needless to say, he lost that puck battle. Thankfully it didn't bite us.

But we need someone else - someone who will jump in on the play.

Hard to have a good answer for that. I did find that Bennett and Colborne seemed to work well together.

Perhaps:

Bennett - Jooris - Colborne

Wolf - Backlund - Bollig

?

I don't have a good answer, but some juggling needs to be done.

I am not sure Jooris has enough offense to be up there with those guys. I would leave the Bennett/Backlund/Colborne line (BBC Line) alone and let them work it out. I might insert Shore to center the 4th line between Bollig and Jooris. Gives us a bit more size going against the bigger Ducks.

Exactly with Bennett.

I am starting to feel bad with the way I talk about Raymond. I feel like there was a point in last night's game, when it was still scoreless, where the Nuck player was skating up their right side in their zone and Raymond just skated with him when he could have laid him out. I know it's not Raymond's game, but he's gotta rub the guy out just to make him think about it. It's hockey. Right after that they started getting zone time and scored. It was prime for the taking but it didn't happen. It's those little things that add up, which is why I believe Baertschi isn't on the team. I think Baertschi would have had the same amount, if not more, as Raymond had this year. But that's another argument. 

I say,

Gaudreau, Monahan, Hudler

Bennett, Backlund, Colborne

Ferland, Stajan, Jones

Bollig, Granlund, Jooris

Although, Jooris also started the Canucks scoring spree when he didn't get his stick on the puck to clear it. It was right there, and I think he looked up and tried to do something with it prior to it getting to his stick. They scored on the play.

I dislike the Nucks and Leafs. Raymond is a player I have never been fond of. Had he been scoring, I would have less bad things to say. But he has gone MIA in the one area he excels in. He is a vet that has playoff experience, but he was scratched this season for lacklustre play. There are a number of options I would go over, but I am a little crazy. :) I thought it was a great idea to bring in Sam and Ferlie.

If I had my way, I would bring in Arnold as a 4th line center, keep Jooris on RW and Bollig on LW. That way you have two RHS guys that can play center. Arnold is very good on draws. He could likely play RW if needed too. What I like about Arnold is his defensive game. He has been one of our best prospects on the farm too. He deserved to be called up as much as any prospect, and is a better option than Raymond. Other than that, I would go with Granlund, but that gives you less options.

I am not sure Jooris has enough offense to be up there with those guys. I would leave the Bennett/Backlund/Colborne line (BBC Line) alone and let them work it out. I might insert Shore to center the 4th line between Bollig and Jooris. Gives us a bit more size going against the bigger Ducks.

Jooris did quite well in the early going when centering Johnny and Hudler though. And he did put up 10 goals this year.

That may not be outstanding, but its pretty decent as well. I think he's more than a 4th liner honestly. Maybe not a long-term second liner, but he'd be solid on the third line.

He and Colborne have played well together earlier this year, and Bennett and Colborne seem to have chemistry. Backlund just doesn't seem to fit with either of them on that line (from my perspective).

Jooris did quite well in the early going when centering Johnny and Hudler though. And he did put up 10 goals this year.

That may not be outstanding, but its pretty decent as well. I think he's more than a 4th liner honestly. Maybe not a long-term second liner, but he'd be solid on the third line.

He and Colborne have played well together earlier this year, and Bennett and Colborne seem to have chemistry. Backlund just doesn't seem to fit with either of them on that line (from my perspective).

Jooris did his best when playing on the 2nd line (with Johnny).  His injury derailed coming back to the team and remaining in the top 6.

Backlund had maybe one bad game this series. He was there to shut down the opposition, kill penalties and aid in scoring/possession. He did all of that.  Colborne is fine, but he is not finishing on his plays that much.  Between him and Byron, he is the lesser of a possession driver.  His effectiveness against the Canucks was his cycle game; his strength on the boards really helped wear down the old D-men.

The first 2 games is key to the series.  We need to see who they line up against the Mony and Backs line, since they have last change. If we see the Getzlaf and Kessler lines against our top two, we may need to re-think the 2nd line.  Jones or Jooris may be a better option.  Either way, Hartley needs to figure out what to do about Raymond. He is not effective as a 4th line grinder on RW. We have better options than that.

Personally, I'm not messing with the lines at all. Just won a series where in general you out played your opposition and had all lines bring something to the table. If it isn't broken, don't fix it and I don't think it's broken right now.

Personally, I'm not messing with the lines at all. Just won a series where in general you out played your opposition and had all lines bring something to the table. If it isn't broken, don't fix it and I don't think it's broken right now.

But that said, Bennett fell to the 4th line by the end of Game 6 and rightfully so.  Does that mean Bennett starts in Anaheim on the 4th line?

To me, his first few games were powered by pure adrenaline.  Then, after he tried to take a big run at Edler and was met by Edler's dirty elbow to the shoulder, Bennett has been playing with a lot of caution for physical play.  He's not aggressively hitting anymore.  It's almost like he injured/re-injured something and isn't 100%.  That, or he's simply "learned his lesson" and is afraid to initiate contact.  In any event, he's less effective the past couple of games compared to his first two or three.  He's also not passing, preferring instead to take it to the net every time all by himself.

I'm beginning to question his vision and awareness of teammates around him.  He relies a lot on his own physical abilities to bring the puck to the front of the net.  He's more brawn than brains at this point.

But that said, Bennett fell to the 4th line by the end of Game 6 and rightfully so. Does that mean Bennett starts in Anaheim on the 4th line?

To me, his first few games were powered by pure adrenaline. Then, after he tried to take a big run at Edler and was met by Edler's dirty elbow to the shoulder, Bennett has been playing with a lot of caution for physical play. He's not aggressively hitting anymore. It's almost like he injured/re-injured something and isn't 100%. That, or he's simply "learned his lesson" and is afraid to initiate contact. In any event, he's less effective the past couple of games compared to his first two or three. He's also not passing, preferring instead to take it to the net every time all by himself.

I'm beginning to question his vision and awareness of teammates around him. He relies a lot on his own physical abilities to bring the puck to the front of the net. He's more brawn than brains at this point.

I believe that's job just transitioning to the NHL. Whenever I moved into a more difficult league in sports, it was like I had blinders on. It always took me a bit to adjust to the new pace and start seeing everything happening around me. This break between series will have him flying again. Just watch.

But that said, Bennett fell to the 4th line by the end of Game 6 and rightfully so.  Does that mean Bennett starts in Anaheim on the 4th line?

To me, his first few games were powered by pure adrenaline.  Then, after he tried to take a big run at Edler and was met by Edler's dirty elbow to the shoulder, Bennett has been playing with a lot of caution for physical play.  He's not aggressively hitting anymore.  It's almost like he injured/re-injured something and isn't 100%.  That, or he's simply "learned his lesson" and is afraid to initiate contact.  In any event, he's less effective the past couple of games compared to his first two or three.  He's also not passing, preferring instead to take it to the net every time all by himself.

I'm beginning to question his vision and awareness of teammates around him.  He relies a lot on his own physical abilities to bring the puck to the front of the net.  He's more brawn than brains at this point.

He's 18 peeps. I think you are reading way too much into a bad game. I put him back with Backs and Colborne to start the series.

Archived