Official Sam Bennett Discussion Thread

flames-fan-911

It'll be interesting to see who he plays with.  (If he gets into a game, of course)  I'd expect him to play with some high-energy guys a la Byron, Jooris, etc.

Byron is day-to-day with a lower body injury.

If I had to guess, he would be in with Colborne at RW and Granlund at LW. Or swap Jooris for Colborne.

Granlund gives the line added defensive responsibility. Jooris or Colborne adds a little toughness. These three could spark and ignite some scoring that we are currently lacking.

Here is a link to BT discussing the recall or Spoon and assignment of Bennett to CGY.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/960/calgary-flames-radio/treliving-no-guarantees-bennett/

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with tmac, I feel the Flames will keep Bennett on the roster for the balance of the regular season and play-offs (if any), but will not play him unless forced to by injuries.

Teams are pushing hard and head hunting is rising, I'd hate for Sam to get smeared early in his career.

I think that just being on the team during the rest of this season will aid his development.

Next season, my guess is that he makes the roster in a sheltered role as 3rd line center, similar to how Monahan was developed during his rookie season.

I honestly dont see why sitting in the press box is so undervalued. Does anyone really think that month or so that he was practicing with the team and watching the games didnt help when he went back to the OHL. Watching and just being around the big club, probably is better for him then being in Adirondack for a couple games.

I would like to see him play LW. Not sure with who?

It definitely makes things interesting at the C and gives more competition within the roster, which only makes the team better.

I am pretty unhappy with Raymond's play. Although whenever I say it he scores.

I agree with tmac, I feel the Flames will keep Bennett on the roster for the balance of the regular season and play-offs (if any), but will not play him unless forced to by injuries.

Teams are pushing hard and head hunting is rising, I'd hate for Sam to get smeared early in his career.

I think that just being on the team during the rest of this season will aid his development.

Next season, my guess is that he makes the roster in a sheltered role as 3rd line center, similar to how Monahan was developed during his rookie season.

Something I noticed in the Blues' game was Ott's obvious vicious slash on Hudler that didn't get called. So things like that are getting let go because another penalty could change the outcome.

Even though I think it should've been called.

But little things like that are happening, so it's something to keep in mind.

"Always earned..."

If you don't play him even if he is the best player at practice...In training camp with a injured wing, he was still one of the most dynamic players.

BT told him he needed to go play a ton of minutes and in all situations in a playoff run in juniors. He gets called up to Calgary (because they watched him play a few games), and by all rights he should get at least one game to prove himself. Wolf, Ferland, Granlund, Sven, Jooris, Reinhart all got into games.

The debate rages on about what to do with our high-value prospects. If he gives us a better chance to win with him in the lineup, then the answer is obvious. We are trying to make the playoffs. Fans pay big money to see the Flames ice a top lineup.

"Always earned..."

If you don't play him even if he is the best player at practice...In training camp with a injured wing, he was still one of the most dynamic players.

BT told him he needed to go play a ton of minutes and in all situations in a playoff run in juniors. He gets called up to Calgary (because they watched him play a few games), and by all rights he should get at least one game to prove himself. Wolf, Ferland, Granlund, Sven, Jooris, Reinhart all got into games.

The debate rages on about what to do with our high-value prospects. If he gives us a better chance to win with him in the lineup, then the answer is obvious. We are trying to make the playoffs. Fans pay big money to see the Flames ice a top lineup.

I would like to see him in the lineup tonight.  He can take Boligs spot on the 4th line, beacause if Bolig gets another shift on this team it'll be too soon.

Why wouldn't he play? If that was the plan then he would be in Adirondack. He makes this team better. He earned a chance. Plus, with the way they have played lately getting a spark is exactly what the team needs.

My guess is he draws in for Granlund, Jooris, or Bollig. I am 50 50 on tonight. But I think if it isn't tonight it will be at home vs Arizona. From that point I think they take it day to day.

I agree with the decision to bring him to the NHL rather than the AHL. Adirondack's playoffs hopes are basically zero right now and with 8 games left I don't see a big advantage to have him play 8 games in the AHL and that's it. I agree that at this point I don't see how playing Bennett is worse then playing Byron, Granland, or Jooris and I think having him playing even 10 or so minutes in a depth role is good for him right now. You ideally want Bennett in he NHL next year so I think he is better off playing limited minutes at the NHL level so he can learn the speed and intricacies of the game so he can prepare himself for next year. I think that is better then a handful of AHL games.

Gaudreau/Monahan/Hudler

Bouma/Backlund/Jones

Raymond/Stajan/Colborne

Ferland/Bennett/Shore

Stajan has earned a bit more ice time with his play of late, plus I like having his experience out there at this time of year. Playing Bennett on the 4th line let's him get his feet wet and get a feel for what stretch drive hockey is like. It also takes some pressure off of him. Shore and Ferland give him some skilled players with size to play with. I want to see Bennett force his way up the lineup, but if he doesn't at least he will know what to expect for next year.

Personally I'd but Bennett on the wing. I think throwing him in at center is asking a lot right now during a playoff push. I also don't love taking Jooris out of the lineup because I think he's earned a change to be here.

Bennett - Shore - Jooris is what I would do. For the games against LA and the Jets I would swap out Bennett for Bolig unless Bennett is lighting it up.

Personally I'd but Bennett on the wing. I think throwing him in at center is asking a lot right now during a playoff push. I also don't love taking Jooris out of the lineup because I think he's earned a change to be here.

Bennett - Shore - Jooris is what I would do. For the games against LA and the Jets I would swap out Bennett for Bolig unless Bennett is lighting it up.

That makes sense, plus I like the fact that Shore seems the be able to win some draws.

Personally I would go:

Gaudreau/Monahan/Hudler
Bouma/Backlund/Jones
Raymond/Shore/Colborne
Bennett/Stajan/Jooris

I agree with throwing Bennett on the wing.  At least for a game.  But I think you need to give him a little veteran help and Stajan provides that.  That said, I don't mind giving Stajan a few shifts on the Raymond/Colborne line to keep his minutes up . 

Granlund hasn't been great so I agree pulling him out makes more sense then pulling out Shore or Jooris.  

EDIT: 

Lines this AM per Randy Sportak are:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Hudler

Bouma-Backlund-Jones

Raymond-Granlund-Colborne

Bollig-Stajan-Shore

Hartley is saying game time decision for Bennett.  Some are speculating Tuesday makes more sense as a debut date.  

If you compare Bennett's projected progression to that of Monahan (although we shouldn't as he has surely exceeded expectation).

This was to be a 20 Goal break-in rookie season for Bennett (had he been healthy).

Next season, (again on the Monahan comparison) he could be a 30 goal guy and by that metric or even 80% thereof, no one except Hudler, Gaudreau or Monahan himself should be ahead of him as a starter in our lineup.

It's time to see what he can do and EDM/PHX is the perfect place to start. If it were LAK/WPG, it would be a different debate.

The Flames have been flat to start the last number of games.  In fact, they have had big stretches where it looks like they are lacking energy and on their heals in most recent games except Nashville.  Bennett is a spark plug.  I wouldn't just play him.  I would start himn in the first shift.  Just for the rush.  

I think it's a no brainer. Put him in the line-up for the remainder of the season. Outside of the top-line our offense is drying up and we need elite level talent in the lineup if we want any chance of making the playoffs. Nothing can be done about our D at this point, we're bound to give up at least a couple of goals every game, so the only way to stay competitive is to score goals. Give him PP minutes too. 

With Engo and maybe Boller in the line-up, I'm sure teams will think twice about taking runs at him. Also, he's a smart player who knows what stage of the season it is, I don't expect many defensive issues on his end. 

Basically, the pros outweigh the cons in this scenario. C'MON BENNY, TAKE US TO THE PLAYOFFS.

Not tonight.  He won't debut until Tuesday at the earliest. Per 1.2 million tweets.  Or so.

He got in at 1:00am. Sure he would be ready to play, but it would be strictly on adrenaline.

Give him a day or 3 to adjust. And let him rip the doors off in CGY, in front of the fans that were looking forward to seeing him for a year now.

Sounds like Bennett is sporting a green "extra" jersey at practice today, along with Bollig and Shore. So as of now it looks like we won't be seeing him in tomorrow's game.

If he doesn't play tomorrow I have a hard time seeing him getting into game this year. The games versus LA and Winnipeg are way too meaningful to just throw a rookie out there to get his debut, even one as good as Bennett.

Archived