Official Sam Bennett Discussion Thread

flames-fan-911

Sorry Zirak if it seemed like I was jumping all over you. Not my intent.

As for the decision to send Bennett to the OHL and my convictions that this was the right call I still have to say my position hasn't changed. I tend to be an overly cautious person to begin with so I have a bias.

I mean let's face it. No matter where he plays there's going to be risk of injury. I just like to go with the better odds in this case. I mean there's always a chance we see him should Kingston not make the playoffs and I would be ok with that. Just not now. I don't think it's going to take a lot for him to get up to speed. 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depending how far all 3 teams go Bennett now goes to a familiar team to play meaningful games. For now minutes in the OHL > carefully monitored minutes on a conditioning stint in a short AHL stint or sitting in the pressbox/getting limited minutes or taking the spot of a guy that helped the Flames to get to the spot they are.

Kingston doesn't look good for making the playoffs so that leaves the option of AHL or NHL after. He's eligible to play for either/both after the Frontenacs season ends.

Depending how far all 3 teams go Bennett now goes to a familiar team to play meaningful games. For now minutes in the OHL > carefully monitored minutes on a conditioning stint in a short AHL stint or sitting in the pressbox/getting limited minutes or taking the spot of a guy that helped the Flames to get to the spot they are.

Kingston doesn't look good for making the playoffs so that leaves the option of AHL or NHL after. He's eligible to play for either/both after the Frontenacs season ends.

Kingston is firmly in a playoff spot at the moment. Top 8 teams in each conference make the playoffs, they are in 7th with games in hand.

Kingston is firmly in a playoff spot at the moment. Top 8 teams in each conference make the playoffs, they are in 7th with games in hand.

For some reason when I searched OHL standings I didn't look @ the year & it gave me 2013-14. My oops.

8 of 10 in a conference make the playoffs. That's worse than NHL! Play in the O & we can almost guarantee you gain playoff experience. :)

***************************************************************************************

That's like the schools out here having a "no student left behind" policy that sees kids that can't read, write nor add graduate with their age group. Afterall, there is a need for illiterate workers to compete with teens for those McJobs.

Meanwhile that diploma the kid can't read reduces the worth of the earned 1s.

For some reason when I searched OHL standings I didn't look @ the year & it gave me 2013-14. My oops.

8 of 10 in a conference make the playoffs. That's worse than NHL! Play in the O & we can almost guarantee you gain playoff experience. :)

***************************************************************************************

That's like the schools out here having a "no student left behind" policy that sees kids that can't read, write nor add graduate with their age group. Afterall, there is a need for illiterate workers to compete with teens for those McJobs.

Meanwhile that diploma the kid can't read reduces the worth of the earned 1s.

Laughed at the analogy. The road to the Memorial cup is a strange one. Three league with different styles of play (Q-offense only, O-lots of good teams, W-tough teams) and the winner could come from the host city who gets to play because their mommy said they could. :)

The decision makes all the sense. Why condition him in the AHL, then play him a few games and send him down to the OHL?

He goes straight to Junior, gets caught up to speed on systems and teammates and getting caught up with Kingston will be just in time for the playoffs.

If he plays in Addy and then in Calgary and then gets sent back to Junior, he doesn't get consistency. I think consistency is important in development. Not yo yo-ing someone around messing with their head and development.

It would be different if Sam could stay in Addy the whole time but he can't.

If he's not nhl ready then you can possibly gamble the season away living or dying on rookie mistakes.

We hooking and complain about prospects being yo yo'd around and we want to do this to Sam?

Develop him slow. If he's ready next year he will prove it.

The decision makes all the sense. Why condition him in the AHL, then play him a few games and send him down to the OHL?

He goes straight to Junior, gets caught up to speed on systems and teammates and getting caught up with Kingston will be just in time for the playoffs.

If he plays in Addy and then in Calgary and then gets sent back to Junior, he doesn't get consistency. I think consistency is important in development. Not yo yo-ing someone around messing with their head and development.

It would be different if Sam could stay in Addy the whole time but he can't.

If he's not nhl ready then you can possibly gamble the season away living or dying on rookie mistakes.

We hooking and complain about prospects being yo yo'd around and we want to do this to Sam?

Develop him slow. If he's ready next year he will prove it.

I have said AHL conditioning is designed for exactly his state. I have not seen many who have said he should do the conditioning and play some games in Calgary too.

As much as I would like to see him play a few games in Calgary, I have no problem if he went the conditioning route in the AHL first, then decide if the Flames were to be a consideration.

If he is not NHL ready then he is not NHL ready but you wont be able to properly tell if he is just sent to the Kingston club.

Just about the whole board here said Monahan was not ready last year for the NHL and should be sent back to his OHL club for last year. Does everyone still feel that was the only decent development route for him now??

I was all for him spending this season in the OHL.

I was hoping that he would play 9 games for the Flames at the beginning, but his injury nixed that.

If I'm not mistaken, he is not eligible for the AHL next season, so he will have to either go back to the OHL or will have a spot on the Flames roster.

I for 1 thought Monoy and JH should write there own future and so they did and if I remember correctly I would put it at about 60 40 against either player going into the regular season and showing there stuff and prove they deserve to be here. I am at the belief that all players should have a chance to prove there selves including Bennett but I'm not in management they are the 1s who get the hundreds of thousands a yr not me that is why they make the decisions. I am very happy they are given fer and poirier there opportunity up here and not making them sit and just twiddle there thumbs.

I have said AHL conditioning is designed for exactly his state. I have not seen many who have said he should do the conditioning and play some games in Calgary too.

As much as I would like to see him play a few games in Calgary, I have no problem if he went the conditioning route in the AHL first, then decide if the Flames were to be a consideration.

If he is not NHL ready then he is not NHL ready but you wont be able to properly tell if he is just sent to the Kingston club.

Just about the whole board here said Monahan was not ready last year for the NHL and should be sent back to his OHL club for last year. Does everyone still feel that was the only decent development route for him now??

He did his rehab with the Flames. On ice he wore a non-contact jersey if skating with any future team-mates.

In the AHL a hot shot rookie who's 1st contract will pay more then most AHL lifers will make in their career is still a target. In the OHL it's mostly players that hope for an NHL career if already drafted or hope to score points to up their draft position. Less likely a headhunter will target his recently surgically corrected shoulder.

If the Frontenacs are eliminated Bennett can come up as a Black Ace on either the Heat or Flames without burning a year of contract. He can also be used sparingly or as much as the coach thinks we need him depending on how the coach sees it. By that time he's had game time under his belt so is comfortable.

He did his rehab with the Flames. On ice he wore a non-contact jersey if skating with any future team-mates.

In the AHL a hot shot rookie who's 1st contract will pay more then most AHL lifers will make in their career is still a target. In the OHL it's mostly players that hope for an NHL career if already drafted or hope to score points to up their draft position. Less likely a headhunter will target his recently surgically corrected shoulder.

If the Frontenacs are eliminated Bennett can come up as a Black Ace on either the Heat or Flames without burning a year of contract. He can also be used sparingly or as much as the coach thinks we need him depending on how the coach sees it. By that time he's had game time under his belt so is comfortable.

I get all this. I am just trying to say that the OHL was not the only choice for him. I do not mind that he was sent to the OHL for that playoff run but the AHL was not a bad choice either. It would have given the Flames more options too at least short term.

Right now they no longer have the AHL option, at least until his season is done with Kingston. We all know what he wanted to do by playing for Flames and we never gave him that chance either.

Edit:  One other thing. Everyone here is trying to baby his shoulder or shelter him. The doctors have cleared him for contact. He is done with the non-contact jersey and cleared for play. Why are you guys trying to still protect his shoulder??

Not to pick on you FF but you go to great lengths to assume that the AHL players would target his injured shoulder.... His shoulder is no longer injured...

Edit:  One other thing. Everyone here is trying to baby his shoulder or shelter him. The doctors have cleared him for contact. He is done with the non-contact jersey and cleared for play. Why are you guys trying to still protect his shoulder??

Not to pick on you FF but you go to great lengths to assume that the AHL players would target his injured shoulder.... His shoulder is no longer injured...

It's not really a case of "baby-ing" more than it is a case of being cautious.  You can be medically cleared for contact, but more often than not it only means that you meet the bare minimum standard for full contact.  And just because you meet the bare minimum standard does not mean that you are 100% recovered (more likely in the 90%+ range).  Plus, there are always those fringe players (at every level).....the ones who know that they're never going to get a shot at the big time.....that are more than eager to exploit a weakness on an opponent.  Granted, those types of players are more rare these days, but they still exist.

Bennett was drafted at 175lbs or something like that.  He needed to bulk up and build NHL strength (thus the Oilers passed on him because he wasn't physically ready to play like Draisaitl was).  Unfortunately, Bennett got injured and as a result, I doubt he's done even a month of bench presses since he was cleared for contact.  It's difficult to imagine he has any shoulder and upper body strength right now.  He needs to go play with kids and get ready, physically, for training camp.  Forget the AHL and NHL.  He would get crushed the way he plays.  He's not an elusive guy like Gaudreau so he's going to invite contact.  A lot of it.

I disagree People I think in order for him to pass the medical he would be doing every type of excise that is required to play I'm sure they expect him to be able to do bench pull-ups and more this is the medical staff for the flames. I'm sure the requirements are pretty stern I doubt they would leave anything to chance the shoulder would have to be close to a 100% or better.  

I disagree People I think in order for him to pass the medical he would be doing every type of excise that is required to play I'm sure they expect him to be able to do bench pull-ups and more this is the medical staff for the flames. I'm sure the requirements are pretty stern I doubt they would leave anything to chance the shoulder would have to be close to a 100% or better.  

That's interesting actually cause i've never found out how the medical side of the NHL works.  Do team doctors provide player status to the league or does the league send their own doctors to check up on injured players to prove they are truly injured and worthy of IR status?

Because, you know, why put a guy on waivers when you can put him on IR?

I don't think that NHL teams can afford to push players off the IR before they are ready.

When you think about concussion protocols for example, letting them back in a game before they are fully ready, would open the league up to future lawsuits if something should happen.

Listen to Hartley about injured players.. He always says they are in the hands of the medical staff and trainers until they clear them for play again.

Peeps has a good point. Bennett plays a kamikaze game. He was undersized for pro before the injury. He is not only rusty, but probably smaller post injury.

Fantastic first game. Love it.

I actually read that he gained 10 pounds of muscle while rehabbing.

Wes Gilbertson (@SUNGilbertson) tweeted at 0:25 PM on Sat, Feb 21, 2015:

Interesting note from #Flames GM Brad Treliving — Sam Bennett has gained about 10 lb. of muscle while working out in Calgary.

Here it is.

I would have really loved to see Bennett strut his stuff in the bigs not going to happen so let him do it in the OHL hope he dominates shows mcdavid what it is all about see if Bennett can bring his team to the memorial cup if he is a big part of that what does say about the time he spent with the big boys I bet my bottom dollar he had a lot of advice and technique taut to him in his time up here. I think it will go along ways in his play in the OHL I see him making Oilers think twice about there pick as well as Buffalo   

That's 10 pounds in his legs, which is great to hear. But surely his upper body lags behind because he can't really do weight training with arms when his shoulder is healing from surgery.

I have had to physio on a number of ocaisions for various injuries, and a lot of my rehab included weight training to strengthen the injured area. For the first while after surgery, no he wouldn't have been able to much upper body exercise, but after a month or two, I am sure exercising his shoulders would have been the main emphasis of his training.

Archived