What Will It Take To Win Next Seaon

kehatch

Is D one of our weakest positions ? How about no top line material at all and a bunch of players who are no more than 2nd and 3rd line players at best.

Flames could shore up our D by adding a few FAs like Greene LA and Stralman NYR

Should you be able to get a player like M Richards, resign Cammalleri and add M Raymond as a FA we could have a solid team.

By solid team I mean a hard working team that wouldn't embarrass itself and allow the youth to mature properly with added experience.

I guess I should explain I'm talking depth wise it's our weakest position and you're suggesting we trade out of a position we already don't have a surplus of, poor asset management IMHO (debatable).

You can't say for sure we have no top line material as we're so young, there's definite potential there.

Based on the OP I guess like JJ said earlier, we can abandon the rebuild and trade away our future and pull a Sutter for a spectacular run at the cup and then be mediocre to poor again for another 5-10 years.

The only way in my eyes to win now is to be patient and set ourselves up for the future rather than fight for short term glory. I want to see something new out of the Flames and I believe we're on the right track, give it a year or 2 before we start making major trades.

Go for the FA's you're suggesting I have no problem with that as all that costs is money and roster spots, but I don't think you're going to replace the type of leadership and experience that Gio is bringing right now I really can't see it with the players who are potentially available via trade, M. Richards included. I'm not saying dont look for trades but I truly feel there are some players here you shouldn't trade unless we are getting a major win.

None of these wash trades where it's controversial and everyone starts arguing, I want a complete home run trade if we are exploring those avenues.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Iggie bust kind of killed deadline trades this year, imho. But after the Marion Gaborik trade, I would expect normal panic buying to resume a next year's deadline.

I think the whole Kesler fiasco with Vancouver screwed up a lot of the deadline trades as well this year.

The good thing about Richards is that he is under a good contract. Resign Cammalleri on a good 3 year deal and keep building on good moves over the next 3 years. Add M Raymond, M Greene and possibly Stralman for next year and i think we improve over last season.

I keep hearing this all the time, and not just form you JJ, but every free agent hat gets talked about it always seems to be flipping him at the deadline. You can't do that consistently and keep a solid reputation as an organization. Why as a free agent should they consider calgary if hey are just going to get flipped for extra pieces in he rebuild? Can't build a team like that and yes there are some exceptions but if you are going to commit money and term to a player be prepared to have that player here for at least a good chunk of I his contract.

The good thing about Richards is that he is under a good contract. Resign Cammalleri on a good 3 year deal and keep building on good moves over the next 3 years. Add M Raymond, M Greene and possibly Stralman for next year and i think we improve over last season.

How is Richards under a good contract??? How are we going to just sign those guys???

There isn't a quick fix.

I have retracked on the trading of Giordano and was addressing what could possibly be done to add depth to our D corps. Wotherspoon showed good promise but like you I think we need a few more solid prospects within the farm.

In regards to what we don't have have right now for a top line, the potential you speak of has to have adequate time to mature into those roles. This could take 2 to 3 years.

Believe me I am not saying abandon the approach we are on, quite the contrary. Our new GM needs to make smart moves to keep building on where our needs are currently without putting all the pressure on our youth.

I guess I should explain I'm talking depth wise it's our weakest position and you're suggesting we trade out of a position we already don't have a surplus of, poor asset management IMHO (debatable).

You can't say for sure we have no top line material as we're so young, there's definite potential there.

Based on the OP I guess like JJ said earlier, we can abandon the rebuild and trade away our future and pull a Sutter for a spectacular run at the cup and then be mediocre to poor again for another 5-10 years.

The only way in my eyes to win now is to be patient and set ourselves up for the future rather than fight for short term glory. I want to see something new out of the Flames and I believe we're on the right track, give it a year or 2 before we start making major trades.

Go for the FA's you're suggesting I have no problem with that as all that costs is money and roster spots, but I don't think you're going to replace the type of leadership and experience that Gio is bringing right now I really can't see it with the players who are potentially available via trade, M. Richards included. I'm not saying dont look for trades but I truly feel there are some players here you shouldn't trade unless we are getting a major win.

None of these wash trades where it's controversial and everyone starts arguing, I want a complete home run trade if we are exploring those avenues.

Richards at 5.7m is not a good price for a player with his talents ? what do you think he is worth ? what do you think Cammalleri is worth ?

As far as the other FAs, are we not in the offseason just spitballing ? All Im saying is getting these players "if we can" makes us a much better team. How is that for you ?

How is Richards under a good contract??? How are we going to just sign those guys???

There isn't a quick fix.

Richards at 5.7m is not a good price for a player with his talents ? what do you think he is worth ? what do you think Cammalleri is worth ?

As far as the other FAs, are we not in the offseason just spitballing ? All Im saying is getting these players "if we can" makes us a much better team. How is that for you ?

It's the term, not just the dollar. There is a reason that the legitimate pundits are speculating LA buys him out. And it isn't because he is on a great contract.

Richards is a smaller player and he plays a physical game. Many believe he is beaten up. He certainly doesn't look like the Richards of 2 seasons ago.

Maybe he excels with a change of scenery and more minutes. Or maybe he really is beat up and on the decline. And than you are stuck with 5 more seasons.

The Flames dont need Richards. He is redundant with Backlund, Stajan, and Monahan. Why take the risk of. That contract unless you are getting a bargain?

I might trade Stajan for Richards straight up if the Flames scouting thinks there is gas left in the tank. Maybe I swap Wideman for him (though I doubt LA does that.) But I am not reading our young guys or a player like Giordano.

I have retracked on the trading of Giordano and was addressing what could possibly be done to add depth to our D corps. Wotherspoon showed good promise but like you I think we need a few more solid prospects within the farm.

In regards to what we don't have have right now for a top line, the potential you speak of has to have adequate time to mature into those roles. This could take 2 to 3 years.

Believe me I am not saying abandon the approach we are on, quite the contrary. Our new GM needs to make smart moves to keep building on where our needs are currently without putting all the pressure on our youth.

Sorry I missed your other post was just trying to address what you replied to me earlier, didn't get a chance to reply earlier so for that I apologize. :mellow:

I'd just like them to resign our RFA's and try to get Cammy back on as long as we can hopefully agree on a 2~3 year contract (1~2 I would prefer but dunno if that gets him back), if this is done all we have is a Backup Goalie to fill.  I hope Treliving can surprise us all positively, with what he finally decides our roster will look next year.

I wish I knew more names of guys we could potentially trade for but nothing really jumps out at me that I'd like to give up assets for. As such I also believe we are too much at square one in our rebuild that bringing in one or two players via trade are going to really make us win Stanley barring some spectacular luck and bad luck to other teams. 

Re-signing everyone back and having the same roster next year will adequately shelter our young guys for another year, given everything Treliving has preached recently I'm not worried about them being rushed. I just think this OP will be a better question for next year.

We have ~$13M (CapGeek) to fill in cap to make, re-sign Cammy and get a guy like Brodeur for the Backup role + all our other RFA's and Butler I think we make the floor fine. (Also nothing saying we can't try to improve during the 2014-15 season either).

If Burke was going to use Stajan in a trade I don't think they would have resigned him. I won't disagree Backlund improved this past season but he isn't ever going to be top line material and he isn't the leader Richards could be. Anyways we will see what if anything happens.

It's the term, not just the dollar. There is a reason that the legitimate pundits are speculating LA buys him out. And it isn't because he is on a great contract.

Richards is a smaller player and he plays a physical game. Many believe he is beaten up. He certainly doesn't look like the Richards of 2 seasons ago.

Maybe he excels with a change of scenery and more minutes. Or maybe he really is beat up and on the decline. And than you are stuck with 5 more seasons.

The Flames dont need Richards. He is redundant with Backlund, Stajan, and Monahan. Why take the risk of. That contract unless you are getting a bargain?

I might trade Stajan for Richards straight up if the Flames scouting thinks there is gas left in the tank. Maybe I swap Wideman for him (though I doubt LA does that.) But I am not reading our young guys or a player like Giordano.

I highly doubt Brodeur would give Calgary any serious consideration. I think the man should retire. I would still prefer a platoon with Ramos and Hiller if we could land him. I also think we need a hard aggressive D like M Greene to play with Russell if we could land him and have a real good D corps. We lack top line players while guys like Monahan, Colburne or even Baertschi gain the maturity and experience. I wouldn't bring Galiardi back and would rather see M Raymond signed as a FA.

We will have to see what our new GM has in mind.

Sorry I missed your other post was just trying to address what you replied to me earlier, didn't get a chance to reply earlier so for that I apologize. :mellow:

I'd just like them to resign our RFA's and try to get Cammy back on as long as we can hopefully agree on a 2~3 year contract (1~2 I would prefer but dunno if that gets him back), if this is done all we have is a Backup Goalie to fill.  I hope Treliving can surprise us all positively, with what he finally decides our roster will look next year.

I wish I knew more names of guys we could potentially trade for but nothing really jumps out at me that I'd like to give up assets for. As such I also believe we are too much at square one in our rebuild that bringing in one or two players via trade are going to really make us win Stanley barring some spectacular luck and bad luck to other teams. 

Re-signing everyone back and having the same roster next year will adequately shelter our young guys for another year, given everything Treliving has preached recently I'm not worried about them being rushed. I just think this OP will be a better question for next year.

We have ~$13M (CapGeek) to fill in cap to make, re-sign Cammy and get a guy like Brodeur for the Backup role + all our other RFA's and Butler I think we make the floor fine. (Also nothing saying we can't try to improve during the 2014-15 season either).

There is a reason that the legitimate pundits are speculating LA buys him out.

The Flames dont need Richards.

I agree that the Flames don't need Mike Richards @ this time but I've asked before about these legitimate pundits & never recieved an answer.

Please show me 1 that doesn't use the infamous "unnamed sources" to try to give credence to something they are just spitballing on.

I'd rather rely on quotes from Darryl Sutter broadcast on CBC.

If Mike is so bad why would he be playing the PP, PK & OT in all 26 playoff games & have 1 GWG? Did pretty good on FOs @ 53.9%.

I agree that the Flames don't need Mike Richards @ this time but I've asked before about these legitimate pundits & never recieved an answer.

Please show me 1 that doesn't use the infamous "unnamed sources" to try to give credence to something they are just spitballing on.

If Mike is so bad why would he be playing the PP, PK & OT in all 26 playoff games & have 1 GWG? Did pretty good on FOs @ 53.9%.

He has LOT of contract left. He isn't LA's Top 5 foundation. They have Brown, Kopitar, Carter, Doughty,Quick.

Richards' term doesn't fit into their schedule. Richards is a very sharp player, speaks volumes about their roster.

It looks like a Luongo situation, a victim of circumstances hating his contract.

People have posted links. They are all over the place if you care to look. But I didn't make the comment to suggest he will be bought out. Just in reference to the comment that Richards is on a good contract.

Richards is a prototypical Sutter type player, gritty, in your face, defensively responsible forward that can win draws and score goals. I highly doubt they buy this guy out or move him for a bag of pucks...

I doubt they want to trade him. But they want to keep Gaborik. The cap may force their hand.

http://www.capgeek.com/kings/

According to capgeek, the Kings have $13-mil to spend on Gaborik + 2 depth forwards + 2 depth Dmen.  Safe to say, there's a good $7-mil to spend on Gaborik alone and I think Gaborik enjoyed LA enough that he'd stay for $7-mil-per.

Where it gets interesting is next summer when Toffoli and Pearson become RFA and Justin Williams is UFA.  There's no cap problems until we find out the salary cap for next next year.  The Kings can keep Richards AND Gaborik.

If Kings are in need of cap space the logical move would be to trade Jarret Stoll and his 3.25mil. Sure hes not as cap heavy as Richards but you can be damn sure there would be a good market for an affordable and reliable faceoff winner. Stoll is 3 years older so it would keep the Kings strong down the centre for years to come as well.

So instead of buying out richards, trade Stoll and get an asset in return. That would seem like the best use of assets.

The word on the street is, the Kings are keeping Richards as he moves up and down the lineup to create a spark among different players. They had Mackenzie and McLean on the Team1040 this morning and yesterday say this very thing. I think it was them. But with how he played in the playoffs is too invaluable and regardless of where he played he has a meaningful position on the Kings. They went on to mention that their depth at center is what wins championships and to minus any of those players is not what they want to do. 

Something that isn't being thought of here is, yes, Richards has played on lower lines, but it's his willingness to do what ever it takes to win that wins championships and to have the rest of the team's commitment. I think it was McLean who said it and that his role was big as it got the Carter line going when needed and that Sutter utilized Richards perfectly, to win draws at key times, ignite the different lines, etc… 

We can say, oh, he's on the 4th, he has fallen out of favour…. That's to the contrary. I didn't look at ice time, but I don't think he's coming to Calgary.

If Kings are in need of cap space the logical move would be to trade Jarret Stoll and his 3.25mil. Sure hes not as cap heavy as Richards but you can be damn sure there would be a good market for an affordable and reliable faceoff winner. Stoll is 3 years older so it would keep the Kings strong down the centre for years to come as well.

So instead of buying out richards, trade Stoll and get an asset in return. That would seem like the best use of assets.

Archived