Who Should We Fashion Or Rebuild Around?

kehatch

Who should we fashion our rebuild around?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Who should we fashion our rebuild around?

• Anaheim (05/06)
    • Chicago (08/09)
    • Los Angelas (09/10)
    • Minnesota (12/13)
    • Pittsburgh (06/07)
    • St Louis (11/12)
    • Washington (07/08)

This poll is closed to new votes

Chicago rebuilt twice so I don't think it's fair to see their rebuild was super long. People forget that after the o4/05 lockout, Chicago cane out swinging and spent big money on khabiboulin, aucoin thinking the could built off the fore of Calder, Bell, Arnason, and Ruutu but they were wrong and weren't there yet. They pulled the plug in 06 and went back to the drawing board it's the new core of Keith, seabrook, toews, sharp etc.

Either way I agree with peeps that do it right don't do it quickly. As I said before I dnt want to fashion the rebuild around anyone I want then to rebuild their own way. Draft smart, be aggressive in trades to fill needs you don't get in the draft and then supplement with sone free agents for now until you've got your core and then be more aggressive in free agency. Build up the blueline, centre ice, toughness and speed and if that takes 5 or 6 years so be it but do it right and don't deviate. I don't think it will take that long if they stick with the plan they e started.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's tough to compare any rebuild to the Hawks. They got extremely lucky with Toews and Kane. If Pittsburgh drafts Toews instead of Staal, they have Crosby, Malkin and Toews centering their team. Forget about it.

The year they drafted Kane, they had a lower percentage of winning the draft than the Flames did this year. They won the lottery and it created the perfect storm. Take those two players off the Hawks and all of a sudden guys like Brandon Saad are no longer studs. You have a good team with Jordan Staal and probably Jakub Voracek, compared to one that is on the cusp of a modern day dynasty. And in an era of salary caps and extreme parity, winning two cups in four years is as close to dynasty as you can get. Something tells me they will win a couple more in the next 5 or 6 years.

It's tough to compare any rebuild to the Hawks. They got extremely lucky with Toews and Kane. If Pittsburgh drafts Toews instead of Staal, they have Crosby, Malkin and Toews centering their team. Forget about it.

The year they drafted Kane, they had a lower percentage of winning the draft than the Flames did this year. They won the lottery and it created the perfect storm. Take those two players off the Hawks and all of a sudden guys like Brandon Saad are no longer studs. You have a good team with Jordan Staal and probably Jakub Voracek, compared to one that is on the cusp of a modern day dynasty. And in an era of salary caps and extreme parity, winning two cups in four years is as close to dynasty as you can get. Something tells me they will win a couple more in the next 5 or 6 years.

I think every rebuild has a certain degree of luck to it, luck or timing depending on what word you want to choose. Pittsburg won the lottery to get Crosby, LA had kopitar fall in their lap outside the top 10 and had a situation where young stars llike mike Richards and carter became available, boston got one of the best players to hit free agency in recent memory in chara because Ottawa choose the wrong player etc etc. all teams get it but one some take advantage of it and use it effectively.

Do we really need to model our rebuild around another team?

It's not really possible to do exactly what another team did anyways.

Depending on where you draft and BPA, it could define the path of your franchise for years to come.  It's the luck of the draw in that sense.

Either way I agree with peeps that do it right don't do it quickly. As I said before I dnt want to fashion the rebuild around anyone I want then to rebuild their own way. Draft smart, be aggressive in trades to fill needs you don't get in the draft and then supplement with sone free agents for now until you've got your core and then be more aggressive in free agency. Build up the blueline, centre ice, toughness and speed and if that takes 5 or 6 years so be it but do it right and don't deviate. I don't think it will take that long if they stick with the plan they e started.

Agreed.

There's the crowd that wants the Flames to reach mediocrity as soon as next season and then from that, take giant leaps forward and win the Cup.  As wishful as it is to think that, it's not realistic.  Brian Burke tried to do that himself first hand with the Leafs and proved if you don't have a good young core of kids oozing out the system, then you can't rush a rebuild by trading away picks for veterans to win right away.

A good rebuild takes time.  We are entering year two of a rebuild so be patient.  There's a few more years of this to come.

It's not really possible to do exactly what another team did anyways.

Depending on where you draft and BPA, it could define the path of your franchise for years to come.  It's the luck of the draw in that sense.

Agreed.

There's the crowd that wants the Flames to reach mediocrity as soon as next season and then from that, take giant leaps forward and win the Cup.  As wishful as it is to think that, it's not realistic.  Brian Burke tried to do that himself first hand with the Leafs and proved if you don't have a good young core of kids oozing out the system, then you can't rush a rebuild by trading away picks for veterans to win right away.

A good rebuild takes time.  We are entering year two of a rebuild so be patient.  There's a few more years of this to come.

If you manage to each mediocrity after 2 rebuild years, then you are well beyond the curve.  What I mean is that you have gone from bottom 5 to bottom 16.  That is not a bad thing if it is because you are doing things right.  What you don't get is years of top 5 picks.

Even so, you are still looking at a few (if not 5) years of slow and steady development, smart drafting, and savy signings and trades.

Agreed.

Point out the thread where anyone is suggesting we take giant leaps to win a cup right away.  

I wouldn't trade picks and prospects for vets in a bid to get mediocre.  But if you are scared to go after impact early to mid 20 year old players (the only thing anyone has suggested in this thread) because your afraid you are going to fall outside of the bottom 5 than I have a problem with that.  

Three seasons ago we were veteran heavy, our best players were depreciating and nearing the end of their contracts, and our prospect pool was barren.  That was time to trade for picks and prospects and focus on drafting / developing.  Today the Flames have lots of good kids.  They picked in the first three time last draft.  Monahan, Gaudreau, Poirier, Granlund, Baertschi, Reinhart, Klimchuck .... all good young prospects under the age of 22.  Giving up some picks or prospects to get an impact player in his early 20s isn't rushing the rebuild.  It is filling an organizational need that helps us win now, and most importantly it improves our chance of this rebuild succeeding.  

^^^^^^^^^

This is exactly why I want us to go after someone like Evander Kane if he is indeed available...

You cant just sit back and wait, this is an aggressive league and if your not willing to pull the trigger your gonna get let behind IE TYLER SUGIEN

E Kane is indeed available.

My auntie's hairdresser heard from a previous client that a waiter @ Tim Horton's who serves her every morning via the drivethru has a friend who's cousin is a nurse @ Children's Hospital & took a picture of Evander hauling a wad of cash out of his pocket to send them all to the zoo for an afternoon. She was shocked @ the size of his wad. We can't have that kind of behavior! The tar is boiling & chickens being plucked as I speak.

This must be legit as my aunt's hairdresser is known to embellish but never outright lies.

Why any team would want to add this degenerate to their roster is beyond me. I think shock treatments & lobotomies are no longer legal so we just have to wait for teams to shun him like Sean Avery.

My auntie's hairdresser heard from a previous client that a waiter @ Tim Horton's who serves her every morning via the drivethru has a friend who's cousin is a nurse @ Children's Hospital & took a picture of Evander hauling a wad of cash out of his pocket to send them all to the zoo for an afternoon. She was shocked @ the size of his wad. We can't have that kind of behavior! The tar is boiling & chickens being plucked as I speak.

This must be legit as my aunt's hairdresser is known to embellish but never outright lies.

Why any team would want to add this degenerate to their roster is beyond me. I think shock treatments & lobotomies are no longer legal so we just have to wait for teams to shun him like Sean Avery.

He probably isn't available. But Seguin was probably not available. There is a lot of smoke with Kane. Its possible he is moved.

We absolutely need a guy like this. Our Zoo could use a cash influx.

The kid was having fun in Vegas, man the crap I did at his age... If that ever got leaked I'd probably be in jail right now.

Besides even if there is a bit of an attitude adjustment need, hes still young enough to turn the corner and mature.

P.S. FF Im just using the guy as an example because he has all the buzz around him right now, I think we missed out last year on Tyler and I hope the flames brass have enough gumption to pull the trigger if another opportunity presents its self... Then again Brian Burke is the head of the flames now so I think I can sleep easy at night!

Point out the thread where anyone is suggesting we take giant leaps to win a cup right away.  

I wouldn't trade picks and prospects for vets in a bid to get mediocre.  But if you are scared to go after impact early to mid 20 year old players (the only thing anyone has suggested in this thread) because your afraid you are going to fall outside of the bottom 5 than I have a problem with that.  

Three seasons ago we were veteran heavy, our best players were depreciating and nearing the end of their contracts, and our prospect pool was barren.  That was time to trade for picks and prospects and focus on drafting / developing.  Today the Flames have lots of good kids.  They picked in the first three time last draft.  Monahan, Gaudreau, Poirier, Granlund, Baertschi, Reinhart, Klimchuck .... all good young prospects under the age of 22.  Giving up some picks or prospects to get an impact player in his early 20s isn't rushing the rebuild.  It is filling an organizational need that helps us win now, and most importantly it improves our chance of this rebuild succeeding.  

There are many ways to win a Stanley Cup, including drafting in the Top 5 for a couple years.  If you have a problem with that, then we need to take a closer look at some of the recent successful rebuilds and see how many times they drafted in the Top 5...

Carolina 2003/4/5 -> E.Staal/Ladd/J.Johnson -> Stanley Cup 2006

Pittsburgh 2002/3/4/5/6 -> Whitney/Fleury/Malkin/Crosby/Staal -> Stanley Cup 2009

Chicago 2004/6/7 -> Barker/Toews/Kane -> Stanley Cup 2010/13

Los Angeles -> 2007/8/9 -> Hickey/Doughty/Schenn -> Stanley Cup 2012

Most likely, one of Chicago or Los Angeles will win the Cup this year.

Non-Cup winning rebuilds that saw several Top 5 Picks include:

Washington -> Ovechkin/Backstrom/Alzner

St.Louis -> Pietrangelo/E.Johnson

Tampa Bay -> Stamkos/Hedman/Drouin

Failures:

NYIslanders

Edmonton Oilers

Florida Panthers

Atlanta/Winnipeg Jets

It's important to also point out the most recent successful rebuild, the Colorado Avalanche spent two straight years in the Top 5, Landeskog/Mackinnon.  They also previously drafted Duchene.

Do you still have a problem drafting in the Top 5 for two years in a row?  Also, it's not that we should avoid targetting players the mid-20s.  It's just that once you target the mid-20s, you can't go back to the Top 5 whereas we can stay in the Top 5 until we're "ready" and then target the mid-20s afterward.

There are many ways to win a Stanley Cup, including drafting in the Top 5 for a couple years.  If you have a problem with that, then we need to take a closer look at some of the recent successful rebuilds and see how many times they drafted in the Top 5...

Pittsburgh 2002/3/4/5/6 -> Whitney/Fleury/Malkin/Crosby/Staal -> Stanley Cup 2009

Failures:

NYIslanders

Edmonton Oilers

Florida Panthers

Atlanta/Winnipeg Jets

It's important to also point out the most recent successful rebuild, the Colorado Avalanche spent two straight years in the Top 5, Landeskog/Mackinnon.  They also previously drafted Duchene.

Do you still have a problem drafting in the Top 5 for two years in a row?  Also, it's not that we should avoid targetting players the mid-20s.  It's just that once you target the mid-20s, you can't go back to the Top 5 whereas we can stay in the Top 5 until we're "ready" and then target the mid-20s afterward.

Colorado had an up and down history over the last number of years.  They finished the 2005/06 season with 95 points. after that it looked like this:

2006-07 Colorado Avalanche NHL Northwest 82 44 31 0 3 4 95 0.579 272 251 884 17612 Joel Quenneville Out of Playoffs

2007-08 Colorado Avalanche NHL Northwest 82 44 31 0 4 3 95 0.579 231 219 995 16842 Joel Quenneville Lost in round 2

2008-09 Colorado Avalanche NHL Northwest 82 32 45 0 1 4 69 0.421 199 257 1062 15429 Tony Granato Out of Playoffs

2009-10 Colorado Avalanche NHL Northwest 82 43 30 0 4 5 95 0.579 244 233 1027 13947 Joe Sacco Lost in round 1

2010-11 Colorado Avalanche NHL Northwest 82 30 44 0 7 1 68 0.415 227 288 1077 14820 Joe Sacco Out of Playoffs

2011-12 Colorado Avalanche NHL Northwest 82 41 35 0 4 2 88 0.537 208 220 0 15499 Joe Sacco Out of Playoffs

2012-13 Colorado Avalanche NHL Northwest 48 16 25 0 5 2 39 0.406 116 152 0 15445 Joe Sacco Out of Playoffs

2013-14 Colorado Avalanche NHL Central 82 52 22 0 4 4 112 0.683 250 220 0 16296 Patrick Roy

They were stuck at 95 points until 2008/09 when they dropped to 69.  The next year they were back up to 95.  The next they dropped to 68, then up to 88.  In 2009 they got Duchene and ROR.  The next year they improved.  What I am getting at is that it is tough to stay the same (bottom 5 year in, year out).  Expecting the Flames to not try to make any improvements to the team is silly.  If Cammi goes, they sign a top 6 forward to replace him (or trade).  They will try to improve the defense, add a decent backup goalie, and bring along some prospects that have the will to improve the team.   

Failures:

NYIslanders

Edmonton Oilers

Florida Panthers

Atlanta/Winnipeg Jets

Does anyone else get a "justification for intentional tanking" vibe from this?

What I am getting at is that it is tough to stay the same (bottom 5 year in, year out).  Expecting the Flames to not try to make any improvements to the team is silly. 

Do you also have a problem drafting Top 5 for two years in a row?

Does anyone else get a "justification for intentional tanking" vibe from this?

Tanking would going for the #1 overall bro.  Since when is staying the same considered tanking? So if a team is 3rd best in the league and decides to stay 3rd best, is that tanking?  We're 5th worse in the NHL.

Most young players need some humility and less entitlement but it doesn't mean you give up on them.

I would take E Kane in a trade if the opportunity presents itself.

The Flames need to build a top line and I would love to see them go after E Kane LW and C Stewart RW and park Colburne c in the middle of these two.

Do you also have a problem drafting Top 5 for two years in a row?

Tanking would going for the #1 overall bro.  Since when is staying the same considered tanking? So if a team is 3rd best in the league and decides to stay 3rd best, is that tanking?  We're 5th worse in the NHL.

You are talking about a team not doing anything positive to remain in the bottom 5.  That means making sideways moves/trades/signings to remain at that level.  You cited Colorado as an example of a team that has tanked for enough years to buid a decent team.  I showed that they went up and down the standings as they made moves to better their team or made dumb moves. 

The point is it is very difficult for teams to remain in the basement for years at a time.  Some are good at it due to a questionable core, lack of cohesion, dumb management, and a poor team construction.  I would love to have the "choice" of 1/1 picks every year, but not at the expense of watching un-interesting hockey, a country club atmosphere, or a team full of "me's".

Some teams become a contender and go on to win a cup.  Watching LA go on to the finals was like watching Calgary in 2004; workman attitude, Sutter coaching, making the best trades possible, getting the "right" team in the playoff rounds.

The Jets aren't in a position to make a move with Calgary. Who do the Flames have that would benefit them as they'd want a very good roster player and a 1st round pick for a guy like Kane? 

We're giving up way too much to become one dimensional really fast. Let's just go back to the Iginla days and have one player. I think this is what People is getting at. 

We have a few pieces right now. Some have shown some good games up in the big club and potential, but right now that's all they have. Not saying Baertschi is done, but we all know what a few good games in the bigs can turn into. We don't really know what we have in a lot of our prospects other than the fact they're developing quite nicely and we have something to look forward to. 

I am not wanting to improve at the cost of having one really good player and then trying to find that #1 C or that other complimentary forward to play with him, as we saw for Iginla's whole career.

Patience. I don't think it's tanking on purpose. It's allowing our own players to improve on their own time. These are growing pains of having a young team. Build it right.

Plus, what was the deal we nixed with the Bruins for Seguin? I forgot who might have been in that deal. Our 1st rounder and????

can your aunts Hairdresser Scout?  maybe we can find a spot for her.....

Failures:

NYIslanders

Edmonton Oilers

Florida Panthers

Atlanta/Winnipeg Jets

Considering I wrote the detailed review of various rebuilds in the OP I think I have looked at the recent rebuilds.  There is nothing wrong with drafting in the top 5.  I am just saying that the Flames should consider their options.  

Your just putting a bunch of high draft picks together.  Chicago traded for Hossa and Sharp.  Seabrook and Keith were also in the right age demographic to help Toews and Kane along.  LA traded for Carter and Richards to go with their older drafted players.  And they traded Schenn and Hickey before winning the cup.   Carolina also traded Johnson (as did LA).  

All your showing is that drafting is important and that you have a high chance of getting better players with higher picks.  My point remains, the Flames are heavy in the 21 and under demographic and really light in the 23-27 demographic.  None of those teams win their cup without players in that demographic.  You need to spread out your talent.  You need various levels of experience.  There are only so many spots for kids.  If (and only if) you can turn a younger player or our first into a impact player in that demographic than the Flames should consider it.  

Considering I wrote the detailed review of various rebuilds in the OP I think I have looked at the recent rebuilds.  There is nothing wrong with drafting in the top 5.  I am just saying that the Flames should consider their options.  

Your just putting a bunch of high draft picks together.  Chicago traded for Hossa and Sharp.  Seabrook and Keith were also in the right age demographic to help Toews and Kane along.  LA traded for Carter and Richards to go with their older drafted players.  And they traded Schenn and Hickey before winning the cup.   Carolina also traded Johnson (as did LA).  

All your showing is that drafting is important and that you have a high chance of getting better players with higher picks.  My point remains, the Flames are heavy in the 21 and under demographic and really light in the 23-27 demographic.  None of those teams win their cup without players in that demographic.  You need to spread out your talent.  You need various levels of experience.  There are only so many spots for kids.  If (and only if) you can turn a younger player or our first into a impact player in that demographic than the Flames should consider it.  

If you're only suggesting the Flames should consider their options, then that's fair.  I'm suggesting patience and draft in the Top 5 for two years in a row.  It sounded like you had a problem with that and really, you shouldn't have a problem with it.  The stats suggest there is often no detriment to a team that undergoes the kind of rebuild that includes multiple Top 5 draft picks.

EDIT:  If i may also add this, I agree there's a time to fill that need for the mid-20s on the roster.  It's more a question of timing.  You feel we have enough young pieces to break out of a rebuild strong.  I feel we need one more crop of draft picks after this one.  That's all and that's the difference.  Post your idea again after next year's draft and i'm in full support.

I think Calgary needs to finish building their core before looking at trades to round out the team. So far I see Monahan and Brodie as the only key parts to a core at this point. Guys like Poirier, Gaudreau and Baertschi might be part if the core, but haven't proven anything yet. Once you get that core set, then you can surround that core with the Hossa's of the world.

I think Calgary needs to finish building their core before looking at trades to round out the team. So far I see Monahan and Brodie as the only key parts to a core at this point. Guys like Poirier, Gaudreau and Baertschi might be part if the core, but haven't proven anything yet. Once you get that core set, then you can surround that core with the Hossa's of the world.

Totals.

There's a time to do what is suggested.  There's a time to target players in their mid-20s who can join the team in their prime.  All that good stuff is understood.  We just have to be patient at the moment.  We have no proven NHLers out of Gaudreau, Poirier, Baertschi, Klimchuk, etc. We need to evaluate for one more full season.

I wouldn't touch Kane at half the price he is going to cost let alone at the price tag the jets are likely going yk have for him. Massive buyer beware and is stay far, far away. You have to be extremely concerned when a young player like Kane who is signed to a verh decent contract on a team with no cap issues becomes available. That's a huge red flag to me that te person we see in the media is likely the same in the locker room and therefore I want no part. People will reference Segin and try to compare the two and point how Segin worked out but the bruins were in cap problems and had to move a center and had to move a contract to keep filling other areas. Differenct circumstances

I wasn't comparing Kane to Seguin, just saying that we missed out on a player that fits into our rebuild plan, a player with allot if promise you could be a key piece to this club for years to come. If another player with his skill set and around that age becomes available we should be in the conversation, I would rather move future considerations that may or may not become keys in the cog for a proven talent in his early 20's then sit idle and cross our fingers that everything is going to work out.

there's a fine some between needing patients and being proactive... Maybe Kane isn't the right situation for the flames, but if our friends up north have taught us anything, its that sitting on sitting checking from behind waiting for the stars to align is a long and painful road!

Archived