Flames & Losing For Higher Draft Order.

DirtyDeeds

Higher Draft picks worth losing?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Is it okay to lose for the sake of a higher draft pick?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided or don't care.
    • It is not as simple as yes or no.

As much as we need the top 3 pick, there has been too many times where a lotto pick decides who gets 1st.  COL and EDM have won it.  NJD won it back when you could only move up 5 spots.  Seems like 28th in the league wins more than 29th.  Just need the Oilers to be out of the top 5.  Don't think that is possible.  They could beat the Flames, but I don't think they win 3 in a row.

Sure, but I think you know what I mean.  Just keep the #1 overall pick away from the Canucks or Oilers.  I'm okay if the Leafs, Jets, or Blue Jackets get the #1 pick.  I would be most happy for Columbus the most because they've been in the basement for so long.  They deserve it.

Good thing two wins have to be handed out in the two VAN vs EDM games.  It means they cannot stay at 67 and 69 points.  Hopefully, they get it done in OT as well.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oilers will win the draft again, it sucks but it's the only time they win. I still see the Flames picking 5th or 6th overall when the dust settles. At this point as much as we'd want them to go on a losing streak I just don't see them losing the next 4 games. LAK seems like the only likely loss in our schedule. Now just looking forward to Dallas making the conference finals.

If the Oilers pick first over all again, I'm going to have an embolism.

There is one team out there that, if they win the lottery, I'm going to cry foul.  Where do you think Bettman and Daley would like to see Auston Matthews land?  In which city would Matthews be most marketable, thus removing some of the heat from Bettman?  If that team wins the lottery, I'm going all-in with a conspiracy theory. 

There is one team out there that, if they win the lottery, I'm going to cry foul. Where do you think Bettman and Daley would like to see Auston Matthews land? In which city would Matthews be most marketable, thus removing some of the heat from Bettman? If that team wins the lottery, I'm going all-in with a conspiracy theory.

It would be catastrophic if the Oilers win it again but here they are again at the bottom of the league with the best chances to win the draft. They've won without finishing last and now the odds are stacking in their favor. I'm with you, I'd want to riot if they win. Lol I think I'm just preparing myself for that very possible outcome. What an annoying team!

There is one team out there that, if they win the lottery, I'm going to cry foul. Where do you think Bettman and Daley would like to see Auston Matthews land? In which city would Matthews be most marketable, thus removing some of the heat from Bettman? If that team wins the lottery, I'm going all-in with a conspiracy theory.

Edmonton is the last team the NHL wants to win the lottery. It's true this year and it was true last year. The fact they keep winning is absolute proof the lottery isn't fixed.

It would be catastrophic if the Oilers win it again but here they are again at the bottom of the league with the best chances to win the draft. They've won without finishing last and now the odds are stacking in their favor. I'm with you, I'd want to riot if they win. Lol I think I'm just preparing myself for that very possible outcome. What an annoying team!

The conspiracy theory would be that Arizona wins the lottery this year because they need him to draw crowds as a son of the State.

Canucks beat the Ducks in Anaheim.  If you think about it, Puljujarvi would be a perfect fit with the Sedins.  They just don't want it bad enough.

The Flames need a clutch loss tonight against the Oilers.

Some think if the Oilers win the lottery, they may trade down.  Maybe 1st overall to Coyotes for OEL + 6th overall.  The Oilers could then pick another Dman with the 6th pick.

Canucks beat the Ducks in Anaheim.  If you think about it, Puljujarvi would be a perfect fit with the Sedins.  They just don't want it bad enough.

The Flames need a clutch loss tonight against the Oilers.

Some think if the Oilers win the lottery, they may trade down.  Maybe 1st overall to Coyotes for OEL + 6th overall.  The Oilers could then pick another Dman with the 6th pick.

That's wishful thinking by Oiler fans.

Let Edmonton draft yet another forward 1st OA. It's made such a difference for them after since Hall was the 1st of many. :lol:

They've gone from 30th place OA to 30th OA.

I'd rather improve the Flames the old fashioned way. Smart drafting as opposed to high drafting, good trades & smart management. Plus proving that tanking is not really in the vocabulary tends to draw the better UFAs more than the dregs that ran out of options so are settling for the only paycheck offered.

Do you want a contender or a shiny new draft pick?

The conspiracy theory would be that Arizona wins the lottery this year because they need him to draw crowds as a son of the State.

Bingo. 

Not only does Matthews make AZ a much more marketable town, but it takes the heat off Bettman for keeping the team in Arizona. 

I don't remember the circumstances of the 2004 lottery, but I remember thinking that Bettman et al would want the Pens to get Crosby.  Lo and behold, they got their man.

Bingo.

Not only does Matthews make AZ a much more marketable town, but it takes the heat off Bettman for keeping the team in Arizona.

I don't remember the circumstances of the 2004 lottery, but I remember thinking that Bettman et al would want the Pens to get Crosby. Lo and behold, they got their man.

Yup! Pittsburgh was on the chopping block and needed the boost for sure!

I am just glad they only got the one cup.

Well the win last night makes it impossible to finish last, while likely guaranteeing a last place finish by the oilers. With just a few games remaining, it seems quite likely the flames will finish in their current position of 6th from the bottom. Given our luck, some team below us will win one of the three top drafts, so I figure we draft 7th this year. Who would we like to see the flames pick in that spot?

Well the win last night makes it impossible to finish last, while likely guaranteeing a last place finish by the oilers. With just a few games remaining, it seems quite likely the flames will finish in their current position of 6th from the bottom. Given our luck, some team below us will win one of the three top drafts, so I figure we draft 7th this year. Who would we like to see the flames pick in that spot?

If we are drafting that low and can't strike a deal to move up, IMHO, I say package the pick with something extra (2nd or a prospect??) to get the goaltender we need. However, there are a few interesting options at pick 6 or 7 for Dmen. Juolevi and Chychrun come to mind and they have moved up since the last time I looked at the rankings.

I think at 7 you are picking between Nylander, Chykrun or Joellevi. It would be great if Dubois was still there but that's doubtful IMO. Of those 3 I am personally taking Nylander.

If we are drafting that low and can't strike a deal to move up, IMHO, I say package the pick with something extra (2nd or a prospect??) to get the goaltender we need. However, there are a few interesting options at pick 6 or 7 for Dmen. Juolevi and Chychrun come to mind and they have moved up since the last time I looked at the rankings.

No way you give up a 6th or 7th pick to trade within conference for one of the goalies that could be available. I wouldnt even trade that to the lightining unless they gave up vasilevsky(I think thats how its spelt). Its not a deep draft this year, but we can still get a very good player with the 6th or 7th pick.

Unless it is Price our 1st in off limits. We also should not even be looking at a Dman at present in the 1st round. With goaltending the top priority, top 6 wing is a strong 2nd choice.

It would be great to finish in the bottom 4, but even at 6th we should get a solid top 6 prospect.

MATTHEWS, AUSTON ZURICH SWISS C 6'1.5" 210 2 LAINE, PATRIK TAPPARA FINLAND RW 6'4.0" 206 3 PULJUJARVI, JESSE KARPAT FINLAND RW 6'3.5" 203 4 DUBOIS, PIERRE-LUC CAPE BRETON QMJHL LW/C 6'2.5" 202 5 TKACHUK, MATTHEW LONDON OHL LW 6'1.25" 195 6 NYLANDER, ALEXANDER MISSISSAUGA OHL LW 6'0.5" 179

Out of the 3 I take Dubois or Tkachuk before I take Nylander

No way you give up a 6th or 7th pick to trade within conference for one of the goalies that could be available. I wouldnt even trade that to the lightining unless they gave up vasilevsky(I think thats how its spelt). Its not a deep draft this year, but we can still get a very good player with the 6th or 7th pick.

I agree it's not a deep draft overal but IMO this is as good a top 10 as the draft has seen in 10 years or so. It's a very good top 10 so I agree the flames pick should not be for sale unless the return is huge. I don't think I would trade the flames first for Matt Murray straight up and I consider him the most attractive goalie option.

If our Dallas pick turns out to be a 1st round,  I would consider trading that for a true #1 goalie but he would have to be putting up top 10 numbers now.

Getting a top-10 goalie for a 1st round pick is a pretty lofty goal.  The Oilers gave up their 2nd, 3rd and 7th round picks to get Cam Talbot, who I believe had in the neighbourhood of 60 games of NHL experience. 

52f87a6f403c72dde85ad09ade5bc6a7.png

I guess this would be sort of a more recent example of a 1st round (9th) pick for an established top goalie and the cost. Not cheap by any means but I look at that transaction and say it was worth it for them to do this.

52f87a6f403c72dde85ad09ade5bc6a7.png

I guess this would be sort of a more recent example of a 1st round (9th) pick for an established top goalie and the cost. Not cheap by any means but I look at that transaction and say it was worth it for them to do this.

That would be the Perfect example of why not do do this.  ZERO playoff success.    They became that "average" team that I fear SO much.   They could have developed their prospects instead, and chose not to.   At the end of the day, what do they have to show for it?   Schneider's been good as expected, but New Jersey has hardly been great.  

IMHO, this was the start of new Jersey getting Away from what they were so good at for so long:  internal development and drafting.   It used to be all about New Jersey and Detroit.  After this....more just Detroit as the singular example.

They've got nothing to show for it now...Nothing post-season.  Literally nothing.  It's a worst-case outcome.

Meanwhile, that 9th overall pick, Bo Horvat, is looking AMAZING...and I believe New Jersey's organization Should have been able to make an even better decision with that pick (either develop Nichuschikin better, or pick Max Domi).  Very hard to go wrong.

New Jersey will be relying more on Scott Wedgewood soon...he is their future.  Probably next season.   Schneider's time will have come and gone un-noticed.     But Scott Wedgewood won't have a Bo Horvat to backstop.   So the pain endures.

A costly mistake.

That would be the Perfect example of why not do do this.  ZERO playoff success.    They became that "average" team that I fear SO much.   They could have developed their prospects instead, and chose not to.   At the end of the day, what do they have to show for it?   Schneider's been good as expected, but New Jersey has hardly been great.  

IMHO, this was the start of new Jersey getting Away from what they were so good at for so long:  internal development and drafting.   It used to be all about New Jersey and Detroit.  After this....more just Detroit as the singular example.

They've got nothing to show for it now...Nothing post-season.  Literally nothing.  It's a worst-case outcome.

Meanwhile, that 9th overall pick, Bo Horvat, is looking AMAZING...and I believe New Jersey's organization Should have been able to make an even better decision with that pick (either develop Nichuschikin better, or pick Max Domi).  Very hard to go wrong.

New Jersey will be relying more on Scott Wedgewood soon...he is their future.  Probably next season.   Schneider's time will have come and gone un-noticed.     But Scott Wedgewood won't have a Bo Horvat to backstop.   So the pain endures.

A costly mistake.

Are you saying it's not important to have a goalie to win in the regular season?  NJ has had some pretty low scoring teams since they acquired Schneider.  With a normal scoring team, they might have actually tasted some success.   

They are behind the 8-ball right now, but goaltending is not their problem.

A costly mistake.

So Bo Horvat (61 points for Vancouver while Schneider was posting 1.97, 2.26 & 2.17) & no goaltending would have made the Debbies a playoff team? :o

You are a font of knowledge. :lol:

If NJ agreed I'd happily trade them our 1st (#6 right now) & for Schneider & consider it a win.

So Bo Horvat (61 points for Vancouver while Schneider was posting 1.97, 2.26 & 2.17) & no goaltending would have made the Debbies a playoff team? :o

You are a font of knowledge. :lol:

If NJ agreed I'd happily trade them our 1st (#6 right now) & for Schneider & consider it a win.

Nobody said Schneider made them worse?

But Horvat will be postings numbers like that and better for the next decade.  And NJ will miss that the entire time.

Great move if you're willing to sacrifice future success to be average now.

Archived