Keegan Kanzig Signs With The Flames

Flames sign Keegan Kanzig

The Flames have signed Keegan Kanzig to an entry-level contract

CALGARY, AB -- The Calgary Flames announced today that they have signed defenceman Keegan Kanzig to a three-year entry level contract.

A native of Athabasca, Alberta, Kanzig is currently in his third season with the Victoria Royals of the Western Hockey League. In 30 games this season, the 6’6”, 240 lbs defenceman has 2 goals and 2 assists while accumulating 57 penalty minutes. In his first training camp with the Flames this past September, the defensive minded rearguard appeared in 1 pre-season game against the Edmonton Oilers recording an assist and a plus 2 rating in 15 minutes of ice-time. Kanzig was Calgary’s 3rd round selection (67th overall) in the 2013 NHL Draft.

Contract terms: Three-year entry level contract with an NHL base salary of $575,000 (year 1), $575,000 (year 2) and $650,000 (year 3) with a signing bonus of $92,500 each year and an AHL salary of $70,000 per year. The contract has an Average Annual Value of $925,000.

KEEGAN KANZIG – DEFENCE

BORN: Athabasca, AB DATE: February 26, 1995

HEIGHT: 6’6” WEIGHT: 240 lbs.

SHOOTS: Left

DRAFTED: 3rd round (67th overall) in the 2013 NHL Draft

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Question regarding all these ELCs; does this mean that these players are now eligible to be in the Flames lineup this season?

05e2fe17b7871661dd5584566e7c2fa9.png

Not sure if that answers your question or not Kulstad as I interpreted to be asking if we could call them up tomorrow. As soon as a player is returned to junior (or Europe) they are not eligible to play for either the flames or one of our professional affiliates until their junior season ends. In the case of Kanzig, the royals regular season ends March 15, so assuming they do not make the playoffs the earliest we could see him assigned to the NHL/AHL/ECHL would be March 16th.

The only exception to that would be an emergency call up as what led to Baerschi's 5 game stint, but its pretty unlikely as you need a ton of guys to be on IR in order for that to be the case and a NHL team needs to "prove" that they need the junior player. When Baerschi was called up I believe the Flames had 5 forwards on IR and the Heat had 7 forwards on IR or something stupid like that. basically their is no hard and fast formula for when it is necessary, but you have to prove that you have no other choice from a professional affiliate or a player who is loaned to another club whether that is because you have too many injuries in which case they can play until you activate someone off IR, or because you cannot get another guy there in time. i.e., its 3pm on game day and the Heat are on the other side of the continent so you call up a player playing junior for 24 hours.

It is good to see some of our prospects getting signed up.

Watching Kanzig in videos and streams of games in camp I was fairly impressed. There is a solid base there to develop around. So far this year he is leading his team in +/- with a +17, that stats jumps out at me more than the fact that he hasn't put many points. The fact that he doesn't score and neither does his team really and he is still a +17, from the outside looking in, would tell me that he is doing his job well in shutting down the opposition.

Hopefully he keeps working on his skating and defensive play, because we could really use a player like him going forward. I think he is everything that the Flames were hoping that Chris Breen would be.

I think that makes it 48...

CapGeek has 47 listed (http://www.capgeek.com/flames/), but Kanzig isn't listed, so that would make 48...

Forwards (14)

Cammalleri, Mike

Hudler, Jiri

Jones, David

Stajan, Matt

Glencross, Curtis

Stempniak, Lee

Backlund, Mikael

Galiardi, T.J.

Monahan, Sean

McGrattan, Brian

Jones, Blair

Byron, Paul

Colborne, Joe

Bouma, Lance

Defensemen (8)

Wideman, Dennis

Giordano, Mark

Smid, Ladislav

Brodie, T.J.

O'Brien, Shane

Butler, Chris

Russell, Kris

Breen, C.

Goaltenders (2)

Ramo, Karri

Berra, Reto

Non-Roster Players (23)

G MacDonald, Joey

D Wotherspoon, T.

D Billins, Chad

D Sieloff, Patrick

F Jooris, Josh

F Klimchuk, Morgan

F Hanowski, Ben

F Knight, Corban

F Baertschi, Sven

D Smith, Derek

F Granlund, Markus

F Nemisz, Greg

D Ramage, John

F MacDermid, Lane

G Roy, Olivier

F Reinhart, Max

G Ortio, Joni

F Ferland, Michael

D Cundari, Mark

D Martin, James

F Street, Ben

F Elson, Turner

F Eddy, David

CapGeek has 47 listed (http://www.capgeek.com/flames/), but Kanzig isn't listed, so that would make 48...

Forwards (14)

Cammalleri, Mike

Hudler, Jiri

Jones, David

Stajan, Matt

Glencross, Curtis

Stempniak, Lee

Backlund, Mikael

Galiardi, T.J.

Monahan, Sean

McGrattan, Brian

Jones, Blair

Byron, Paul

Colborne, Joe

Bouma, Lance

Defensemen (8)

Wideman, Dennis

Giordano, Mark

Smid, Ladislav

Brodie, T.J.

O'Brien, Shane

Butler, Chris

Russell, Kris

Breen, C.

Goaltenders (2)

Ramo, Karri

Berra, Reto

Non-Roster Players (23)

G MacDonald, Joey

D Wotherspoon, T.

D Billins, Chad

D Sieloff, Patrick

F Jooris, Josh

F Klimchuk, Morgan

F Hanowski, Ben

F Knight, Corban

F Baertschi, Sven

D Smith, Derek

F Granlund, Markus

F Nemisz, Greg

D Ramage, John

F MacDermid, Lane

G Roy, Olivier

F Reinhart, Max

G Ortio, Joni

F Ferland, Michael

D Cundari, Mark

D Martin, James

F Street, Ben

F Elson, Turner

F Eddy, David

Found this relating to the 50 limit....

...But 18 and 19-year-old players assigned to their team in the CHL do not count against the 50-contract maximum, until they have played at least 11 NHL games in one season.

So by that "rule", Klimchuk and Kanzig don't count yet.  Johnny H and Arnold and Agostino are too old so they would count.

from our 2 recent signings I could *maybe* see Klimchuk getting a game or 2 in the NHL at the end of the CHL season, but I think Kanzig is still a bit far away for even that.

Not a chance. Neither are very close and it's not like Burke to rush a prospect like that. Best for both of them to stay in junior.

Not a chance. Neither are very close and it's not like Burke to rush a prospect like that. Best for both of them to stay in junior.

Maybe i wasn't very clear on that. I don't see either coming up, but as a response to the question of "could" they, I think that if you insist on betting one (or both) will see an NHL game this year, the smart[er] (less stupid?) money would be on Klimchuk.

Archived