Could Feaster Pull A Burke

phoenix66

Im interested to hear thoughts on this. What would it take for Feaster to parlay our 6th pick into 2 top 4 picks? Looking for trade suggestions only, not just stating "cant be done" ive made its own topic to keep it strictly on this purpise

In 1999 vancouver owned the 3rd overall pick and only gave up one roster player in the process of owning the 2nd and 3rd and at one point even owned the 1st so it can be done just curious how creative we can be.

I believe the 1st is off the table, no way Colorado gives it up, but we dont want it anyway, our goal is 2 and 3 and I think florida and tampa can be had

Ill start with this.

To florida;

Rights to John Gadreau

2013 #6 pick

2014 1st round pick

To calgary:

2013 #2 pick

To tampa bay

Pitt pick

St louis pick

Rights to jon gillies

Mike cammaleri

To calgary

2013 #3 pick

2013 2nd round pick

Calgary drafts nathan mackinon and jonathan drouin

Are we overpaying a bit? Yes but everybody wins

Florida gets a top 6 this year, a 1st round quality prospect ans likely a top 10 next year

We get a franchise center and escape any possible tim erixon rerun

Tampa gets a quality goal prospect to improve a weak area

2 1st round picks in a deep draft

A top 2 winger who will step in and get them 30 goals immediately

Calgary gets another pick early 2nd round thats similar to anybody we would have picked late 1st

If we land both I have no qualms over giving up next years 1st in the deal

Thoughts?

Put differently,

Florida moves down 4 spots, gets a dimintive former 4th rounder who might become a top 6 player (he has to as he's too small to play lower lines) & an unknown 1st rounder next year. This 1 is @ least possible as a stand alone BTW. Maybe add a 2nd in 2014.

TB gets 2 late picks in the 1st rather, adds a prospect to a rather deep goalie pool (Bishop, Lindback, Helenius, Vasilevski among others) & adds a $6 million winger to a team with 3 million in cap space with only 17 players signed. Doubtful any way I look @ it.

In return they only give up a shot @ a top forward in a supposedly deep draft.

This looks good from a Calgary viewpoint but take into account what other teams see. Would you do it if we had either the 2 or 3 pick?

You might try something centering around Sven & those late 1st rounders to Nashville or Carolina & then flipping the 4th or 5th to TB along with a player/prospect of pick.

Put differently,

Florida moves down 4 spots, gets a dimintive former 4th rounder who might become a top 6 player (he has to as he's too small to play lower lines) & an unknown 1st rounder next year. This 1 is @ least possible as a stand alone BTW. Maybe add a 2nd in 2014.

TB gets 2 late picks in the 1st rather, adds a prospect to a rather deep goalie pool (Bishop, Lindback, Helenius, Vasilevski among others) & adds a $6 million winger to a team with 3 million in cap space with only 17 players signed. Doubtful any way I look @ it.

In return they only give up a shot @ a top forward in a supposedly deep draft.

This looks good from a Calgary viewpoint but take into account what other teams see. Would you do it if we had either the 2 or 3 pick?

You might try something centering around Sven & those late 1st rounders to Nashville or Carolina & then flipping the 4th or 5th to TB along with a player/prospect of pick.

I agree the tampa offer may need some revising..the florida offer will really hinge on how other teams view gaudreau

I tnink any player or prospect we own currently could be in play, with the exceptions of Sven and Glencross ( because he wouldnt go anyway, hes made that very clear)

We could also do like colorado did in the fleury trade, pony up a list of our top 10 prospects, minus Sven and say pick one, as well as likely eat part of cammys salary

Of course it's do-able.  Any trade is do-able in philosophy.  It's just a matter of "is it worth it?" 

And to answer that quesiton, i don't think it's worth it.  I don't believe Mackinnon and Drouin are generational talent that warrants a team to gut itself and set things backwards 5 years.  I would do it for Sidney Crosby but no way to the players available in this draft. 

Burke pulled that deal off in 1999. The NHL is a different world today. Back then, draft picks didn't have near the value they do at present. When was the last time a top 5 pick was traded?

In the proposed deal, the teams are getting back some solid draft positioning, so it's not really impacting their ability to add to their prospect pool.

However, I think that now, the safest move to make for a GM is to just hold on to a pick and make the selection. It's a huge gamble, simply because if the receiving team happens to pick the next up and coming superstar, you have egg on your face to the point where you are branded for the rest of your life for making that move. The question then becomes, was it really necessary to make the deal? I would argue that neither Florida nor Tampa are in that position.

Bear in mind feaster has already stated he will be actively trying to move up, so in his mind its worth it. The only 2 players worth moving up for are mckinnon and drouin, moreso mckinnon so chances are he plans to throw everything hes got at florida

With the exception of brian mccabe going to chicago, burke did it all with picks. The only thing different here is we are starting from 6 and he started from 3

I could see a scenarion where we aquire the 7th or 8th pick..and use that with our 3 to get #2.. I have no doubt if he can get the #2 pick he would give up the others

But we are already getting off topic..the question isnt should we or is it worth it..its what would it take to realistically get it done

Burke pulled that deal off in 1999. The NHL is a different world today. Back then, draft picks didn't have near the value they do at present. When was the last time a top 5 pick was traded?

The Leafs acquired Phil Kessel in September 2009 in exchange for first-round picks in 2010 and 2011 and a second-round pick as well...   Boston drafted Tyler Seguin (2nd overall) with the 2010 pick and then Dougie Hamilton (9th overall) in 2011...

In the proposed deal, the teams are getting back some solid draft positioning, so it's not really impacting their ability to add to their prospect pool.

However, I think that now, the safest move to make for a GM is to just hold on to a pick and make the selection. It's a huge gamble, simply because if the receiving team happens to pick the next up and coming superstar, you have egg on your face to the point where you are branded for the rest of your life for making that move. The question then becomes, was it really necessary to make the deal? I would argue that neither Florida nor Tampa are in that position.

September 18, 2009. Burke pulled the trigger on that 1 also. :)

That increases the weight of your last paragraph.

I see Carty beat me to that. Cheers Bud. :D

I agree the tampa offer may need some revising..the florida offer will really hinge on how other teams view gaudreau

I tnink any player or prospect we own currently could be in play, with the exceptions of Sven and Glencross ( because he wouldnt go anyway, hes made that very clear)

We could also do like colorado did in the fleury trade, pony up a list of our top 10 prospects, minus Sven and say pick one, as well as likely eat part of cammys salary

If Sven was the deal breaker it also hinges on how much Feaster wants the set.

Keep in mind all teams do not attach the same value to Sven as many Flames fans so in the Colorado example might well select someone else even with him on the list.

Wait a minute. It wasn't a draft day deal where the Leafs were trading their 2nd overall pick to Boston. It was picks resulting from a trade made almost 10 months before the draft, which were contingent on the Leafs finish in the standings. You can't compare the two situations. In Burke's mind, he may have thought that he would have made the playoffs each of those following years.

If you went back to Burke right now in September 2009 and told him how it was going to unfold, I would argue that he would he would have done a lot of soul searching and likely would not have pulled the trigger on deal. 

Wait a minute. It wasn't a draft day deal where the Leafs were trading their 2nd overall pick to Boston. It was picks resulting from a trade made almost 10 months before the draft, which were contingent on the Leafs finish in the standings. You can't compare the two situations. In Burke's mind, he may have thought that he would have made the playoffs each of those following years.

If you went back to Burke right now in September 2009 and told him how it was going to unfold, I would argue that he would he would have done a lot of soul searching and likely would not have pulled the trigger on deal. 

Wrong Burke deal. He is talking about the one where Burke managed to get the 2 and 3 overall pick and got the Sedin's.  Not the Kessel deal.   

That said, I don't see that happening here.  The Sedin's wouldn't play apart.  Vancouver had the assets to support the wheeling and dealing.  And it was a weak draft.  Even then it was a pretty huge deal and is very unlikely to be repeated.

The ingredients aren't available to make the perfect storm this draft.  

Wrong Burke deal. He is talking about the one where Burke managed to get the 2 and 3 overall pick and got the Sedin's.  Not the Kessel deal.   

That said, I don't see that happening here.  The Sedin's wouldn't play apart.  Vancouver had the assets to support the wheeling and dealing.  And it was a weak draft.  Even then it was a pretty huge deal and is very unlikely to be repeated.

The ingredients aren't available to make the perfect storm this draft.  

You should probably look at the two posts directly above mine. 

If we are a top-5 team in the NHL next year, then we win the trade.

But....that's not realistically going to happen.  It's going to be a rough year next year, and we need to stop gambling our future as a rule.  Even if it's for youth.

Mackinnon was once seen as that good.   Ie, the next Crosby.  He'll be good, but he's not as good as once originally projected.

Connor McDavid on the other hand....any team that is willing to give up their 2015 pick, I'd deal with personally.

For instance, if the trade worked the other way and a team asked us to downgrade our 2013 first rounder in exchange for a 2015 pick...I'd do it.  Because 2015 may offer a generational star.  Whereas this year does not, despite the great depth.

I agree 110% with this statement, id be willing to trade our 1st pick this year for a 2015 pick just so we can start stock piling for that draft now...

However I think that we are going to have a long learning curve with this team and may be in a Colorado type situation for the next couple of years. The UFA pool this year is pretty weak and I don't expect teams to be buying out too many exceptional players with this amnesty clause.

But....that's not realistically going to happen.  It's going to be a rough year next year, and we need to stop gambling our future as a rule.  Even if it's for youth.

Mackinnon was once seen as that good.   Ie, the next Crosby.  He'll be good, but he's not as good as once originally projected.

Connor McDavid on the other hand....any team that is willing to give up their 2015 pick, I'd deal with personally.

For instance, if the trade worked the other way and a team asked us to downgrade our 2013 first rounder in exchange for a 2015 pick...I'd do it.  Because 2015 may offer a generational star.  Whereas this year does not, despite the great depth.

2 years ago MacKinnon was the next Crosby but now is 1 of the 5 tailing Jones. They all seem to be top 6 picks unless a team goes off the board. In 2011 the other 5 including Jones were seldom mentioned.

Connor McDavid in now getting the hype MacKinnon did those few years ago. The 2015 draft is also 2 years away.

A ?. Did you buy into the MacKinnon hype as much as you seem to be buying the current stuff? :)

2 years ago MacKinnon was the next Crosby but now is 1 of the 5 tailing Jones. They all seem to be top 6 picks unless a team goes off the board. In 2011 the other 5 including Jones were seldom mentioned.

Connor McDavid in now getting the hype MacKinnon did those few years ago. The 2015 draft is also 2 years away.

A ?. Did you buy into the MacKinnon hype as much as you seem to be buying the current stuff? :)

I agree.  Also, we have no idea where teams are going to finish in 2015 so your giving up 2-years in development and a chance at a great player in a very deep draft for a lottery shot of getting a player who may or may not be a star.  

Totally agree. You cant base your development on a draft 2 years away. If we are sitting here in 2 years part of the connor sweepstakes we are in big trouble because feaster will have been fired and the new gm will be blowing it up all over again

I could accept if any trade were made involving us receiving a 1st rounder attempting to make it a flames choice 2014 or 2015 but outside of that its just not good planning. Besides, if they really wanted to strategize like that im sure they could have found a way to tank a few more games at the end to get the 1st this year..or they could have made that flames choice trade with jbo and iginla. Feaster has made it quite clear we will not be the oilers, this year is the biggest draft in team history, so this is the one we need to maximize

First of all I think dealing picks in this draft for a pick in 2015 is an aboslutley horrendous idea for so many reasons. You can stock pile as many draft picks as you want but if McDavid continues on his path and is as sought after as he will be you can have all the picks you want no team will trade with you.

Secondly the only reason Mackinnon was compared to Crosby was becuase of their Nova Scotia connection and the parallels in their careers. If you look at their stats Crosby was way ahead of Mackinnon. The talk was not Mackinnon was as skilled as Crosby or would be as good it was just that it was a coincidence about the storylines so naturally comparissons were drawn. Thats one of the problems with people and Mackinnon I think he is getting knocked down due to a lot of misconceptions. Also when it comes to scouts, keep in mind I once read a copule of scouts actual compare Kessel to Crosby and made the point that basically whoever you saw last was the person you liked more.

Bear in mind feaster has already stated he will be actively trying to move up, so in his mind its worth it. The only 2 players worth moving up for are mckinnon and drouin, moreso mckinnon so chances are he plans to throw everything hes got at florida

With the exception of brian mccabe going to chicago, burke did it all with picks. The only thing different here is we are starting from 6 and he started from 3

I could see a scenarion where we aquire the 7th or 8th pick..and use that with our 3 to get #2.. I have no doubt if he can get the #2 pick he would give up the others

But we are already getting off topic..the question isnt should we or is it worth it..its what would it take to realistically get it done

The thing is I don't see Florida in a stockpiling direction, they've been there, they had a taste of the postseason so I think they want to return sooner than later, they have a lot of prospects but lacking the potential superstar, so I don't see them wanting additional picks over a top tier prospect.  I also don't see them having too much need for Gaudreau as they have taken their own gamble on Grimaldi.  The only way I see Florida move the pick is for a proven big name player, like when Yashin was traded for #2.  As far as Tampa goes they are more of a possibility I think, but the only chance of having both would be if they made the Sedin demand.

Posted · Hidden by kehatch, May 26, 2013 - No reason given
Hidden by kehatch, May 26, 2013 - No reason given

Продажа гостиницы и отеля в Бердянске. Отличное вложение капитала - отельный бизнес на берегу Азовского моря. Продается мини-отель, Бердянская коса на берегу Азовского моря в Бердянске дешево

Продажа гостиницы и отеля в Бердянске. Отличное вложение капитала - отельный бизнес на берегу Азовского моря. Купить отель, Бердянская коса на берегу Азовского моря в Бердянске дешево

Продажа гостиницы и отеля в Бердянске. Отличное вложение капитала - отельный бизнес на берегу Азовского моря. Продается жилье, Бердянская коса на берегу Азовского моря в Бердянске дешево

Posted · Hidden by kehatch, May 26, 2013 - No reason given
Hidden by kehatch, May 26, 2013 - No reason given

Продажа гостиницы и отеля в Бердянске. Отличное вложение капитала - отельный бизнес на берегу Азовского моря. Продается жилье в Бердянске, Бердянская коса на берегу Азовского моря по хорошей цене

Archived