s4xon

1 minute ago, phoenix66 said:

its a word..LOL  in the end i just wanna keep taking players they want 

"they" Flames? or "they" oilers?  (cant afford him ).. i think you'll get him for backup money now

They is never us.  They is them.

BTW, Halak is signed for this year, so it would need to be a trade.

Just now, travel_dude said:

They is never us.  They is them.

BTW, Halak is signed for this year, so it would need to be a trade.

gotcha :)  either way i hope they dont get him 

my only fear now is they also like to take our throwaways.. hope they dont sign Stone if we don't.. he would actually help them 

38 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

gotcha :)  either way i hope they dont get him 

my only fear now is they also like to take our throwaways.. hope they dont sign Stone if we don't.. he would actually help them 

With McD reported to be signing for $13.25m they have no ability to pay anything for a defender.  Russell was their big win.

yep.. this is where they messed up. They have $16M for next season(McD's last of his entry ).. Leon will now probably get 9 of that. leaves them 7 M to load up for one year before they have to give away RNH

they need to sign one year deals in UFA.. and not sure who of any consequence is gonna sign a 1 year UFA deal

Its actually why the Halak hunt makes sense for them , hes only a year left on his deal 

13 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

yep.. this is where they messed up. They have $16M for next season(McD's last of his entry ).. Leon will now probably get 9 of that. leaves them 7 M to load up for one year before they have to give away RNH

they need to sign one year deals in UFA.. and not sure who of any consequence is gonna sign a 1 year UFA deal

Its actually why the Halak hunt makes sense for them , hes only a year left on his deal 

well I think they have enough of last year's team and some add ins to ice a team.  They lack effective depth now.  No reason to think they won't trust Brossoit to see how he does.  He's waiver eligible, IIRC.  

Just now, travel_dude said:

well I think they have enough of last year's team and some add ins to ice a team.  They lack effective depth now.  No reason to think they won't trust Brossoit to see how he does.  He's waiver eligible, IIRC.  

oh yes, for one more year ... then Cap hell kicks in .. PC needs to go all in this year 

They have a one year window before they possibly become Tampa 2010 V2

one great line, a good d or 2 and a goalie.. relying on TDL rentals every year , giving up their top picks to get them 

we on the other hand, are set with term on all our best players..with transition options.  Edm may get a cup before us, but we'll get one and stay a favourite before they get 2

32 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Another option down and boy that is a big AAV. That makes me very doubtful the Flames are going to get a backup for around a mill. Probably need to be 1.5 -2 now. 

I wonder what the market for Mason looks like now.  Not many teams that will offer him a starter role, maybe none.  The Jets are probably going to sign Elliott.  Think Philly is going with Neuwirth.  At $2m x 2, do you think Mason would be a good fit?  Would he even take that.

14 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I wonder what the market for Mason looks like now.  Not many teams that will offer him a starter role, maybe none.  The Jets are probably going to sign Elliott.  Think Philly is going with Neuwirth.  At $2m x 2, do you think Mason would be a good fit?  Would he even take that.

He wouldn't. He'll get more and a chance to play. Jets, Canucks among teams apparently interested. 

15 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Jets are looking hard @ Mason & the Flyers aren't going with Neuwirth. I see Mason signing for 2 years but it won't be for $2 million per.

I still think both teams are patient enough to see what the Caps & Grubauer do before signing a UFA goalie.

19 minutes ago, cross16 said:

He wouldn't. He'll get more and a chance to play. Jets, Canucks among teams apparently interested. 

I don't doubt they have talked to him, but I'm not sure this twitter feed is that reliable.  Has Calgary interested in Marleau?

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I don't doubt they have talked to him, but I'm not sure this twitter feed is that reliable.  Has Calgary interested in Marleau?

His is legit. I've followed him for a while and I find his stuff to be quite good.

Calgary should have interest in Marleau yes. At least preliminary interest. 

2 minutes ago, cross16 said:

His is legit. I've followed him for a while and I find his stuff to be quite good.

Calgary should have interest in Marleau yes. At least preliminary interest. 

Where does he fit?  A LW that would need a 35+ contract?  Same risk with Williams, but I see more of a fit for him.

EDIT - I was really interested in Marleau before he signed his last contract.  Still has the juice, but I just don't see the fit here, is all.

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Where does he fit?  A LW that would need a 35+ contract?  Same risk with Williams, but I see more of a fit for him.

EDIT - I was really interested in Marleau before he signed his last contract.  Still has the juice, but I just don't see the fit here, is all.

I've seen him play both wings. But could be an option if plan is Ferland to play RW

Johnny - Mony - Ferland

Tkachuk - Backs - Frolik

Marleau - Bennett - whoever....

Not hard to find a fit. Flames badly need someone who can score and ideally should get more speed in their top 6, Marleau fits both. I'm not saying signing him, but it makes complete sense to have interest. 

Just now, cross16 said:

I've seen him play both wings. But could be an option if plan is Ferland to play RW

Johnny - Mony - Ferland

Tkachuk - Backs - Frolik

Not hard to find a fit. Flames badly need someone who can score and ideally should get more speed in their top 6, Marleau fits both. I'm not saying signing him, but it makes complete sense to have interest. 

Skills-wise, he fits.  Serious offer?  Don't know that they could offer $5m for him.  If not, it might have been a quick phone call.

4 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Johnny - Mony - Ferland

Tkachuk - Backs - Frolik

Marleau can still skate, he scored 27 goals last year, but more importantly 20 of them came 5v5.

Williams also scored 19 of his 24 goals 5v5.

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Another option down and boy that is a big AAV. That makes me very doubtful the Flames are going to get a backup for around a mill. Probably need to be 1.5 -2 now. 

This one doesn't surprise me.. he has proven to be a great 1B when needed on 2 separate teams..he was going to get paid

5 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

actually this totally impresses me. Yes he was ribbing , but he was also telling the truth. 

One thing about this guy.. you hear about players that hate to lose. He utterly detests it. Every player needs that drive.

Part of Dutter's coaching success was never avoiding (sometimes doing it on purpose as strategy) to call people out.  This is a guy that will call you out, and most importantly  (which is why he can get away with it ) will call himself out too. 

I got so sick of hearing " bad bounce.. i liked our effort... we'll regroup and be better "   Just once I want to hear a player call it for real ."we sucked..   if it wasn't for that bonehead play by X...half the team dragged their butt out there ..not going to beat a team like that by letting in soft goals like that "

I would suspect , the soft goal Elliot allowed in Game 4 wasn't what got him pulled. It was his reaction to it.   He slumped, he deflated . What he needed to do was get MAD. Break a stick, yell at himself

Smith wont even wait for a microphone, he'll tell it like it is , on the ice, and the whole stadium will hear it 

I also think that kind of talk is dishonest. I would rather a person be direct with me than to blow smoke up my digestive tract. You can be positive without being dishonest. 

On 6/28/2017 at 1:17 AM, jjgallow said:

Not impressed.

Ok.. so youre the Flames GM.. ownership has just told you to go All in and win a cup in the next  2 years, preferably this year.

looking only at Goaltender ..

Your current just dropped the ball

your kids arent ready  

your 1st 2 choices (MAF and Bishop) have told you they wont come here 

Who do you realistically go get ? and what do you give up to get it?

28 minutes ago, redfire11 said:

BT did not really know what he was getting with Elliott. But he knows exactly what he will get with Smith. It was a safe move.

He got a goalie that pplayed well behind a good team.

Now he has a goalie that played okay behind a bad team.