s4xon

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

Compared to most of the guys that signed as backup, that's quite a bit.  

I haven't done an analyses of back up salaries but I would agree with cross and JTech that the situation should be kept to a 1 year deal. We should find out how real both Gilles and Rittich are next season in Stockton. Maybe Curtis McElhinney for a year ??

1 hour ago, MAC331 said:

I haven't done an analyses of back up salaries but I would agree with cross and JTech that the situation should be kept to a 1 year deal. We should find out how real both Gilles and Rittich are next season in Stockton. Maybe Curtis McElhinney for a year ??

I looked at what was out there.  BU's making more than $1m and available are Kuemper and CJ.   I can't bear the thought of Curtis M. again.  :D

9 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I looked at what was out there.  BU's making more than $1m and available are Kuemper and CJ.   I can't bear the thought of Curtis M. again.  :D

I hear ya, but to be fair.. he has blossomed into quite the reliable backup with the ability to take a few in a row

2 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Parsons Can do another year of junior, but is he too good for that league now, what does he really have to prove at that level. Though if it is between the ECHL and the OHL, I think I would rather see him in the OHL. He won't have to share the net in the OHL, in the ECHL he will have to share the net as MacDonald needs time in the net as well. I would be fine splitting duties for Gillies and Parsons in the AHL, as I think Parsons needs to see more an increased level of talent and I'm not convinced he would get that at the ECHL.

I think if you start with Rittich at the NHL you can get a better look at him and if it doesn't work you can find veteran backups mid season fairly easily.

I don't see why that is not the strategy. The only thing I can think of that makes it a bad idea is that if Smith gets hurt, and Rittich plays poorly, Treliving's head might roll. The safer bet is to get an established goalie. Not sure why we got Rittich if he was never to get a chance at the NHL level. We were not the only team going after him.

Best line from Smiths Interview today on the hot stove lounge.. when asked how many times we can expect a breakout out pass to Johnny for a breakaway 

" i think the best thing is being able to pass to teammates that might actually have the ability to Score "  followed by a muffled "oh damn, this is on isnt it ..."

I forgot he backed up Turco.. no wonder he got so good at at that .. one of the best puck handlers ever 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

I don't see why that is not the strategy. The only thing I can think of that makes it a bad idea is that if Smith gets hurt, and Rittich plays poorly, Treliving's head might roll. The safer bet is to get an established goalie. Not sure why we got Rittich if he was never to get a chance at the NHL level. We were not the only team going after him.

Why is it so hard to accept our GM at face value when he has said Rittich needs another year in the AHL. He showed well and the GM is saying do it again. Plus having a few layers in case of an injury is smart.

5 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Why is it so hard to accept our GM at face value when he has said Rittich needs another year in the AHL. He showed well and the GM is saying do it again. Plus having a few layers in case of an injury is smart.

as mentioned before , the only place that door opened for me, was his later interview after the draft .. where he stated they are now evaluating if the answer may come internally 

14 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

as mentioned before , the only place that door opened for me, was his later interview after the draft .. where he stated they are now evaluating if the answer may come internally 

Yes, he seems somewhat open to the possibility. OTOH, we have to sign him to another contract don't we? If memory serves, his contract expires soon. 

44 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Best line from Smiths Interview today on the hot stove lounge.. when asked how many times we can expect a breakout out pass to Johnny for a breakaway 

" i think the best thing is being able to pass to teammates that might actually have the ability to Score "  followed by a muffled "oh damn, this is on isnt it ..."

I forgot he backed up Turco.. no wonder he got so good at at that .. one of the best puck handlers ever 

Found it.. this is hilarious..

https://www.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/nhl-goaltender-destroys-his-former-teammates-in-radio-interview-after-trade

After being traded to the Calgary Flames, Smith was a guest on Sportsnet 960 in Calgary on Monday and he was asked about fan excitement following the trade. Specifically Smith was asked about fans being excited to see him feed the puck down the ice to players like Johnny Gaudreau, and his answer was a clear shot at his former team.

"I'm really looking forward to passing to some of these guys that can actually score."

Smith appeared to be very aware of the fact he was taking shots at his former team.

"Did I just say that on live radio?" 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

https://www.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/nhl-goaltender-destroys-his-former-teammates-in-radio-interview-after-trade

After being traded to the Calgary Flames, Smith was a guest on Sportsnet 960 in Calgary on Monday and he was asked about fan excitement following the trade. Specifically Smith was asked about fans being excited to see him feed the puck down the ice to players like Johnny Gaudreau, and his answer was a clear shot at his former team.

"I'm really looking forward to passing to some of these guys that can actually score."

Smith appeared to be very aware of the fact he was taking shots at his former team.

Big deal

Just now, phoenix66 said:

just nice to hear people giving real answers and not just canned responses .. its no wonder the guy is thrilled to be here . He brings a certain attitude and swagger this team has been missing .

I hate today's media, they take any comment and blow it way out of proportion. Good on Smith, he is the type that will challenge his team to be better, even if it is by insulting the enemy. LOL

4 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I hate today's media, they take any comment and blow it way out of proportion. Good on Smith, he is the type that will challenge his team to be better, even if it is by insulting the enemy. LOL

That was the beauty of it, (I was listening to it).. that was unedited live radio.. the fact it turned up in a news article later is a bonus :)

That was great. Can't blame him either. How many amazing games has he played, only to lose because the Coyotes were just an awful team except for a couple players (like OEL). Or he plays lights out, to lose a game because they could only score one goal (and yes, it happens to every team, but it seemed to happen a lot to the Coyotes).

On 26/06/2017 at 7:21 PM, phoenix66 said:

Not impressed.

7 hours ago, jjgallow said:

Not impressed.

actually this totally impresses me. Yes he was ribbing , but he was also telling the truth. 

One thing about this guy.. you hear about players that hate to lose. He utterly detests it. Every player needs that drive.

Part of Dutter's coaching success was never avoiding (sometimes doing it on purpose as strategy) to call people out.  This is a guy that will call you out, and most importantly  (which is why he can get away with it ) will call himself out too. 

I got so sick of hearing " bad bounce.. i liked our effort... we'll regroup and be better "   Just once I want to hear a player call it for real ."we sucked..   if it wasn't for that bonehead play by X...half the team dragged their butt out there ..not going to beat a team like that by letting in soft goals like that "

I would suspect , the soft goal Elliot allowed in Game 4 wasn't what got him pulled. It was his reaction to it.   He slumped, he deflated . What he needed to do was get MAD. Break a stick, yell at himself

Smith wont even wait for a microphone, he'll tell it like it is , on the ice, and the whole stadium will hear it 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

I got so sick of hearing " bad bounce.. i liked our effort... we'll regroup and be better "   Just once I want to hear a player call it for real ."we sucked..   if it wasn't for that bonehead play by X...half the team dragged their butt out there ..not going to beat a team like that by letting in soft goals like that "

Are you talking about Gio's media comments or GG's?  I think what happen in the room is much more important that what is said to the media.  Gio is respected in the room.  

If Smith is going to berate his team mates on the ice after a bad play, then the team is going to have issues.  Communicate. Fine.  Discuss things and demand better.  Fine.  

8 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Word is Oilers want Halak.. we should swoop in and get him too LOL

That is just insane.  They can't afford him for one thing.  What is this fetish they have for ex-NYI players?

BTW, Eklund posting this as a rumour doesn't make it "word".  

Just now, travel_dude said:

That is just insane.  They can't afford him for one thing.  What is this fetish they have for ex-NYI players?

BTW, Eklund posting this as a rumour doesn't make it "word".  

its a word..LOL  in the end i just wanna keep taking players they want 

"they" Flames? or "they" oilers?  (cant afford him ).. i think you'll get him for backup money now