s4xon

I really could care less who starts I don't really care to see any of the goalies back next year, Ortio included. IMO Ortio doesn't have NHL starter stuff.

We are on 6 game losing streak so maybe Hartley is going with the goalie that has actually won a game this year to pull us out of it.

• Like 1

but Ortio might beat a team like BUF, just saying

I get the joke.  But the coach doesn't try to lose games.  

I would say they gave Hiller every possible opportunity to get a job for next year.  They even tried to get him a tryout somewhere else as a TDL rental.  That ship has sailed.  Sure, give him a start.  But the question comes to mind, why not give the young guy a chance against "one of the worst teams int he NHL".  Surely giving him the chance to actually get a win might help his development.  Instead, you start him in the 2nd night of a B2B and expect him to carry the mail.  

• Ortio sat for 8 games (most in the press box) and played 1 on a B2B. 
  • He sat a second game then got a start (but only because of an injury)
  • He sat 11 games (so Ramo could "get going") and was demoted
  • He is recalled but sits 5 games (this time so Hiller could "get going")
  • He finally gets his first consecutive set of games (3) plays well in the first 2 but gets sat after the 3 start isn't good
  • He only sits one game (Hiller is predictably bad) and plays well in his start.  But now he is sitting again (despite the good start) because they are supposedly on a pre-determined schedule

Ortio didn't do much early to make a case for himself, but man the organization hasn't exactly made it a priority to put him in a position to gain confidence or find a groove.  

Just listened to Hartley giving his explanation for starting Hiller on Fan 960 a few minutes ago...He said it's because "we have a schedule with Sigalet"...

Well Bob, that's utter nonsense unless your coaching a team of 5 year olds...   and maybe that's what you should be doing...   and you can take Sigalet with you...

I get the joke.  But the coach doesn't try to lose games.  

• Ortio sat for 8 games (most in the press box) and played 1 on a B2B. 
  • He sat a second game then got a start (but only because of an injury)
  • He sat 11 games (so Ramo could "get going") and was demoted
  • He is recalled but sits 5 games (this time so Hiller could "get going")
  • He finally gets his first consecutive set of games (3) plays well in the first 2 but gets sat after the 3 start isn't good
  • He only sits one game (Hiller is predictably bad) and plays well in his start.  But now he is sitting again (despite the good start) because they are supposedly on a pre-determined schedule

Ortio didn't do much early to make a case for himself, but man the organization hasn't exactly made it a priority to put him in a position to gain confidence or find a groove.  

Yes, we agree then.  Put him in a position to succeed.  Don't sit him against the Sabres, then bring him back in to play the Penguins.  Sit the guy after a good performance (2 GA), but start the guy who last had a bad one, who has not had many good ones.

Yes, we agree then.  Put him in a position to succeed.  Don't sit him against the Sabres, then bring him back in to play the Penguins.  Sit the guy after a good performance (2 GA), but start the guy who last had a bad one, who has not had many good ones.

If you are evaluating him why not against PIT ? I think you guys are making way to much over this goalie or that goalie.

Just listened to Hartley giving his explanation for starting Hiller on Fan 960 a few minutes ago...He said it's because "we have a schedule with Sigalet"...

Well Bob, that's utter nonsense unless your coaching a team of 5 year olds... and maybe that's what you should be doing... and you can take Sigalet with you...

Indeed. Schedule now. Get goalie X going before that. Merit before that. Playing a developing goalie in an easier and meaningless game after a strong performance clearly doesn't make any sense.

19 games to go, no play-offs this season.

The Flames need to play Orito for at least 8 more to keep his status as a RFA, and decide if he is worth signing as a backup

Let's say Backstrom gets a couple as "promised" in the trade.

That leave 9 games that are up in the air for anyone to play.

All I can suggest is that everyone try to relax, I have faith that the goal tending will be sorted out in the summer.

Those that are supporting Hartley, tell me this. If Hiller does well tonight (very possible against Buffalo) who do you think Hartley starts the next game?

Ortio of course. Hey let's make this a contest and try to guess the schedule they have come up with, you have to post your pick before the projected line ups come out.

If you are evaluating him why not against PIT ? I think you guys are making way to much over this goalie or that goalie.

Have you seen Ortio after the losses?  He is getting down on himself.  Why do you want to give him the biggest tests before he even wins a game?  Sounds like McBackup's treatment from years ago.  Curtis M. got his first career win in his 14th start, on the last game of the 2008/09 season.

Ortio of course. Hey let's make this a contest and try to guess the schedule they have come up with, you have to post your pick before the projected line ups come out.

We should post a thread about guessing the starting assignments for the 3 goalies.  1st prize is bragging rights and gets to email BT with their suggestion for a new coach.   :lol:  :D  :P  :unsure:  :mellow:  :huh:  :mad:

Those that are supporting Hartley, tell me this. If Hiller does well tonight (very possible against Buffalo) who do you think Hartley starts the next game?

I honeslty think it will be Backstrom/Ortio. I think its pretty likely that instead of playing Ortio as much as they can they want to test him against certain oppoenents and certain situations.

BTW, i'm not really "supporting" Hartley. As you know i'm not a fan either I just think people need to settle down a bit when it comes to Ortio. I don't think what he is doing with Ortio is illogical at all, thats my point and let's see what happens. If I'm wrong and 15 games from now Ortio has played 3 times or something I will fully admit that Hartley screwed up, I just have a hard time seeing it. I personally believe that since they've recalled him, they have demonstrated that they want to see what they have in Ortio. 

Have you seen Ortio after the losses?  He is getting down on himself.  

Really disagree with this, in fact I would argue the opposite. I don't love Ortio's technique but one think you have to admire is his confidence and his "aw shucks" attitude. He had every reason to questions himself this year but instead he came back and has played with alot of confidence. 

If you think thats is because of his candor in interviews well remember he is Finish. They seemed trained to lack all types of emotion.

I honeslty think it will be Backstrom/Ortio. I think its pretty likely that instead of playing Ortio as much as they can they want to test him against certain oppoenents and certain situations.

BTW, i'm not really "supporting" Hartley. As you know i'm not a fan either I just think people need to settle down a bit when it comes to Ortio. I don't think what he is doing with Ortio is illogical at all, thats my point and let's see what happens. If I'm wrong and 15 games from now Ortio has played 3 times or something I will fully admit that Hartley screwed up, I just have a hard time seeing it. I personally believe that since they've recalled him, they have demonstrated that they want to see what they have in Ortio. 

Really disagree with this, in fact I would argue the opposite. I don't love Ortio's technique but one think you have to admire is his confidence and his "aw shucks" attitude. He had every reason to questions himself this year but instead he came back and has played with alot of confidence. 

If you think thats is because of his candor in interviews well remember he is Finish. They seemed trained to lack all types of emotion.

What I mean is that he seems to take responsibility for the losses.  He may have had a bad goal, but he was not the reason.  He should feel bad about the loss to Ottawa, but not the others.

Have you seen Ortio after the losses?  He is getting down on himself.  Why do you want to give him the biggest tests before he even wins a game?  Sounds like McBackup's treatment from years ago.  Curtis M. got his first career win in his 14th start, on the last game of the 2008/09 season.

We should post a thread about guessing the starting assignments for the 3 goalies.  1st prize is bragging rights and gets to email BT with their suggestion for a new coach.   :lol:  :D  :P  :unsure:  :mellow:  :huh:  :mad:

I don't buy this bulk that he has a schedule rofl but I like this thread idea you could just post hiller and you would win 90% of the time.

What I mean is that he seems to take responsibility for the losses.  He may have had a bad goal, but he was not the reason.  He should feel bad about the loss to Ottawa, but not the others.

What is he suppose to say? I played great but my team let me down? Probably true, but imagine the headline the next day if he said that. 

Don't read into a post game scrum is sort of what i'm saying. 

Even the loss to Ottawa wasn't entirely on him. Yes, he might have been able to save the game with a timely save on one of the hat-trick, but the entire team also let him down at that time too. 

I don't buy this bulk that he has a schedule rofl but I like this thread idea you could just post hiller and you would win 90% of the time.

It was on Fan 960 radio station about +/- 1pm today, right after they were scratching their heads over Hiller getting the start...

As crazy as it sounds, in response to being asked about Hillier getting the start tonight, Hartley freakin' said "we have a schedule with Sigalet"..

It was Bob speaking, and here is zero doubt he said they have a schedule and implied Sigalet has significant input...

It's not a complicated debate. Ortio played well and earned the next start. He isn't getting it because Hartley decided they are going to be minor hockey and follow an arbitrary goalie rotation. It doesn't make sense and it is just one more pebble in the pile of Hartley nonsense.

Hiller in nets tonight.  Tank versus tank?  Actually unintentional tank (bad coaching decision) vs tank.

Well, the more we play Hiller the more it does seem like intent to tank. 

Ortio hasn't been the reason for any of our losses. No, he didn't save us against Ottawa, but at this point I'm not really upset. Ortio deserves a job next year, And if Hiller gets us that 1RW in the draft we need, then we have one less hole to worry about. 

So ..... at this point I'm good either way. a

The only justification to not play Ortio tonight is if he is unavailable due to illness, injury, or because they have to send him down / recall him due to the Backstrom trade.  

I will hold judgement until we know what is what.    

EDIT: Looks like that isn't the case as Ortio is the back-up according to morning skate.  This really irks me.  Ortio has played better in 3 of his last 4 starts then Hiller has most of the season.  Plus the Flames need to play him to see what they have in him.  Playing Hiller right now makes less then no sense.  Shame on Hartley.  

There are a number of possibilities as to why Hiller is starting none of them falls into the intentional tank thinking.

• BH said it is a scheduled start and intended by Jordan Sigalet and his sched.
  • Ortio has not won a game this season. I know he has better stats, especially lately, but the biggest stat of all stats is Wins. Wins trump all other stats.
  • Flames have already decided that Ortio is not going to be a factor in our future and don't need to "see what he can do" any longer.

There are a number of possibilities as to why Hiller is starting none of them falls into the intentional tank thinking.

• Ortio has not won a game this season. I know he has better stats, especially lately, but the biggest stat of all stats is Wins Wins trump all other stats.
  • Flames have already decided that Ortio is not going to be a factor in our future and don't need to "see what he can do" any longer.

YEah. None of those make sense. 

Sigalet's schedule is meaningless when earlier in the year it was playing either Hiller or Ramo for stretches to "get them going" so that holds no water. 

Of the 4 starts Ortio has had since calling up, we've lost all 4. Three of them by a 2-1 score. You can't blame the goalie for that. 

If they have then that's remarkably shortsighted. No, he's not played like an NHL starter. But given how he's been handled this season I doubt even Price would in that position. 

• Like 1

YEah. None of those make sense.

Sigalet's schedule is meaningless when earlier in the year it was playing either Hiller or Ramo for stretches to "get them going" so that holds no water.

Of the 4 starts Ortio has had since calling up, we've lost all 4. Three of them by a 2-1 score. You can't blame the goalie for that.

If they have then that's remarkably shortsighted. No, he's not played like an NHL starter. But given how he's been handled this season I doubt even Price would in that position.

What he said.

• Ortio has not won a game this season. I know he has better stats, especially lately, but the biggest stat of all stats is Wins Wins trump all other stats.

The 3rd point is debatable.  Bob wouldn't be the one making that decision.  BT would be, and it seems like BT's decisions aren't reflected in the lineups.  BT gave Hartley 3 goalies to start with, but he only went with 2.  BT called up Nakladal only to have him sit the entire time.

It could be the 1st one, but that only applies if there is some doubt about the starter.  Usually the win/good effort and you are in is the choice.

You need to RELAX

I agree, to much about nothing now. Let Ortio get enough games in to keep him around for next year if an option. Otherwise play it out and see where we finish with our draft positioning.

Amen... Grain of sand decision in a sea of sandbars...  

Hiller has worse stats but he gets wins anyway.

Hiller has the best wins/loss ratio of all goalies.

Hiller was put in the Vancouver game and You and others all screamed the same thing... "but Ortio deserves the start". Hiller got the win.

See my other list of reasons why they might be wanting to start Hiller.

There is a possibility that BT has requested Hiller get starts and this is just one of a few spots to fit that request in.

Some of you guys have to simmer down. This is not the end of the world because it is likely we are not playoff bound.

Amen... Grain of sand decision in a sea of sandbars...

Hiller has worse stats but he gets wins anyway.

Hiller has the best wins/loss ratio of all goalies.

Hiller was put in the Vancouver game and You and others all screamed the same thing... "but Ortio deserves the start". Hiller got the win.

See my other list of reasons why they might be wanting to start Hiller.

There is a possibility that BT has requested Hiller get starts and this is just one of a few spots to fit that request in.

Some of you guys have to simmer down. This is not the end of the world because it is likely we are not playoff bound.

I am sure they have a reason. I am relatively sure that Hartley can be taken for face value in that they have developed a rotation.

I am also sure that is ridiculous and flies in the face of "Always Earned." Not that Hartley has cared much about that this season.