s4xon

I'd tend to believe we are definitely good enough with the addition of Tkachuk, who I expect to make this team, especially if we add a top 6 winger, to make the playoffs. I get a new coach needs time to gel with his players but if Elliott can come in and give us average goaltending we will be fine. Losing Brodie last season early and Hamilton taking time figuring out his game really hurt and this season we will have Jokipakka for the full year which will help a lot. This points to an improved defence core in front of a proven goalie with a new possession-style team game. All signs point to a really good season IMO.

I am still not ready to predict a playoff and think we should be a bit skeptical that it's going to happen. The team has a lot to improve on and only showed limited glimpses of it the past few years. They have to play consistently for it to happen. Goaltending helps, but it only helps so much if the team still gives up so many scoring chances and puck time (possession). This team has a long way to go and the goaltending is the start.  

Our young players are going to improve for sure, but is it enough? I am going to wait and see before I make predictions. 

I am still not ready to predict a playoff and think we should be a bit skeptical that it's going to happen. The team has a lot to improve on and only showed limited glimpses of it the past few years. They have to play consistently for it to happen. Goaltending helps, but it only helps so much if the team still gives up so many scoring chances and puck time (possession). This team has a long way to go and the goaltending is the start.  

Our young players are going to improve for sure, but is it enough? I am going to wait and see before I make predictions. 

I'm willing to make a prediction; the Flames will be a lottery team this year. 

Realistically, they'd have to improve on last year's record by 20 points in order to contend for a wildcard spot.  (If the Pacific division continues to stink, maybe a 12-point improvement gets us into the wildcard fight) 

Elliott is a very significant upgrade in goal.  And we can look forward to a healthy Brodie to start the season along with a Hamilton who's acclimated to Calgary.  On the other hand, it may take some time to get up-to-speed on whatever system Gulutzan introduces.

The Flames got out of the gates with a 2-8 record last season.  Honestly, I'll be happy if they're .500 or better when November rolls around.

• Like 1

Ballsy prediction... :lol:

I'm willing to make a prediction; the Flames will be a lottery team this year. 

Realistically, they'd have to improve on last year's record by 20 points in order to contend for a wildcard spot.  (If the Pacific division continues to stink, maybe a 12-point improvement gets us into the wildcard fight) 

Elliott is a very significant upgrade in goal.  And we can look forward to a healthy Brodie to start the season along with a Hamilton who's acclimated to Calgary.  On the other hand, it may take some time to get up-to-speed on whatever system Gulutzan introduces.

The Flames got out of the gates with a 2-8 record last season.  Honestly, I'll be happy if they're .500 or better when November rolls around.

Well, that's a prediction.  You talked about the positive things that improve this club, then you look at last season's results and don't think we can improve by 20 points?  League worst goaltending swapped out for a league leader.  There's 20 points right there.  

A coaching change can happen mid-season and still have great results.  Boudreau made a change during Anaheim's goal scoring drought, and they went from being below us to being tops in the Pacific.  Having a camp to implement is not that bad.  

We need a top 3 RW.  Honestly, you could put a plug on that line and they will still lead the team.  With a more stable defense core (trade/buy out Wideman and Smid) and decent goaltending, you can expect that we will not lose as many of those 2-1 or 1-0 games.

Definitely we should have a real good chance when we score more than 3 goals.

Ballsy prediction... :lol:

Well, that's a prediction. You talked about the positive things that improve this club, then you look at last season's results and don't think we can improve by 20 points? League worst goaltending swapped out for a league leader. There's 20 points right there.

A coaching change can happen mid-season and still have great results. Boudreau made a change during Anaheim's goal scoring drought, and they went from being below us to being tops in the Pacific. Having a camp to implement is not that bad.

We need a top 3 RW. Honestly, you could put a plug on that line and they will still lead the team. With a more stable defense core (trade/buy out Wideman and Smid) and decent goaltending, you can expect that we will not lose as many of those 2-1 or 1-0 games.

Definitely we should have a real good chance when we score more than 3 goals.

Last year we added two key pieces and just figured everything else the same so playoffs plus. But everything else wasn't. Keeping that in mind let's look at next year.

1. There have been significant changes on the team, nowhere more so than in coaching. I expect the new coaching style to be more conducive to our players, and even though GG doesn't seem to be as much a performance-driver as BH, that should be offset by players doing their best to impress the new coaches and a more effective style. Add in the advance in youngsters with this new coach and I'm expecting a gradual improvement over the season, culminating in a very strong second half. Overall a significant improvement which will get them close to playoffs.

2. Goaltending goes from a goalie who gave up on a city and ended league-worse, to the NHL's top goalie with a chip on his shoulder with something to prove. Add in his work ethic and being a fierce competitor even in practice I expect this to be a huge improvement over last year which could single-handedly drag them into the playoffs.

3. New players: The team swapped out Russell for Jokipakka which is a big improvement, but nothing else on the trade front to date. Additional trades likely to clear space for better prospects. Speaking of which this season will be a continuing story of trying to move out vets and bring in prospects, such as Stajan, Wideman, Bollig, Smid, Raymond and maybe Jooris and Colborne out with Shinkaruk, Poirier, Jankowski, Wotherspoon, Kylington and Pribyl waiting in the wings. Hopefully they will re-sign Nakladal and possibly Grant but we shall soon see. Overall the team will get better the farther BT can push this along, but it's going to take time, especially with the league's renewed focus on cheap players. For the team, a wash with slight improvements as the season goes on.

4. Injuries: This plays a critical factor every year and if it's to key players it could be devastating (I.e Brodie). However given the young guys are likely upgrades in many positions I'm thinking this will likely be a wash.

5. Opposition: Whereas Anaheim's changes are definitely focused on winning this year, and I expect a very strong year from them, the LAK and SJS are likely going to decline and Vancouver is treading water. Edmonton still has no D and are unwilling to pay the price to get some, so not expecting much there and Arizona had our number last year which isn't going to happen again. It's still going to be around 90-94 PTS for the playoffs.

Overall I expect the Flames to improve significantly, with the speed of getting the team up and playing a new style and ability of BT to turn over some over-the-hills guys critical in final results. They should be in the 90-100 point range so right in the playoff mix till the very end.

^^^^^^

I think Anaheim is beatable this year, in Anaheim.  Andersen was always an issue for us, even though Gibson beat us a lot.  We had chances to win every game, but were mostly let down by goaltending.  They are also going to lose one of their top D-men. 

We finally have goaltending to beat some of the Pacific teams we struggled against.  If we can beat EDM with sub-par goalies, we should have no issue.  Van is on a re-cycle/re-build phase.  If Arizona actually played some of their kids, they might be a lot better.

We also have to contend with other teams improving too. Edmonton and Arizona should be better. Maybe the Canucks add enough to their pot to sniff a little playoff push but miss. Winnipeg will be better. The Wildcard will be harder to obtain.

But because there is so much more parity, the playoff bubble # maybe a bit lower or similar to this last year. With all teams trading wins, it'll be just as hard to make it, but I expect tighter deeper races until the deadline.

Travel, I don't think you can add just anyone to top line. They still need skill and some speed.

Think about what options they used this past year, and how Johnny was able to still be top 6 in scoring.  Plug is an exaggeration, but essentially the other two will lead the line.

We also have to contend with other teams improving too. Edmonton and Arizona should be better. Maybe the Canucks add enough to their pot to sniff a little playoff push but miss. Winnipeg will be better. The Wildcard will be harder to obtain.

But because there is so much more parity, the playoff bubble # maybe a bit lower or similar to this last year. With all teams trading wins, it'll be just as hard to make it, but I expect tighter deeper races until the deadline.

Will EDM be any better?  McDavid only helped them win something like 17 of the 45 games he played.  They will start Pulju this season, so he will need time to adjust to the NA ice.  They haven't addressed the defense at all.  If they do, it will make them weaker somewhere else.  They have to trade Eberle or Nuge or Hall to do that.  Even that will be lucky to bring them a Shatty or equivalent.

Winnipeg will be better, but they are only a Wildcard concern.  Arizona couldn't be any worse.  They beat us because we had sub-par goaltending.  They haven't really added anything yet.  Strome and Dvorak maybe.  Still light on defense, unless they play Chychrun this year.  Vancouver is going nowhere.  They are trying to rebuild in place, but their GM is making all the wrong moves.  

Last year the West was an enigma.  I don't think that will happen again.  

So we have a Goalie now. But last year we were still only two spots ahead of the Oilers in the league. McDavid will be a year older and if he stays healthy helps them win at least ten more games or more.

We have to wait and see how it all pans out once TC starts.

So we have a Goalie now. But last year we were still only two spots ahead of the Oilers in the league. McDavid will be a year older and if he stays healthy helps them win at least ten more games or more.

We have to wait and see how it all pans out once TC starts.

A 45 game season for McDavid, with him tearing it up only gets them 17 wins.  Their record without him was actually better.  Go figure.  If they improve it will be due to getting scoring from the backend and decent defending.  A -42 in goal differential is just plain bad.  And that was with a decent goalie.

A 45 game season for McDavid, with him tearing it up only gets them 17 wins.  Their record without him was actually better.  Go figure.  If they improve it will be due to getting scoring from the backend and decent defending.  A -42 in goal differential is just plain bad.  And that was with a decent goalie.

And as long as they have Taylor Hall, I expect that dark, ugly cloud to remain over Edmonton. I am not sure why, but I get the sense that he is a cancer on that team. No doubt about his skill set, I just think he likes to have his way no matter what. I also believe that crummy attitude was accentuated by the Oiler's management offering these tools oodles of cash well before they needed to give it to them. The disaster that is the Edmonton Oilers is truly spectacular. Hartley couldn't screw up RNH, Eberle, Yakupov more even if he rotated them in net.

I live in a very positive-oriented world so seeing improvements in all aspects of our team is very easy for me (I really believe this is true, including the coaching). With that in mind, there is no reason to believe we won't improve significantly from last year provided we are fortunate with limited injuries. Imagine a game plan for Gaudreau on the road that helps him get open or a coach that actually can help with our special teams. That and a goalie that stops almost all the shots he is supposed to stop. Imagine!!! There is much to think positively about plus if we suck that will happen anyway so no point in thinking/worrying about it. Excitement for next season is all I ever ask of my team. I definitely have that already. Hop on the bus.

As a side note, I expect us to be cup contenders in 3-5 years. Cheers.

I believe we will improve, I just don't like to predict playoffs and high success. I am liking the additions and interested in what else gets done. I think we will be close, but i want to wait and see.

Last summer we had guys expecting playoffs and contending for the Cup. We need to temper expectations.

Or we begin to sound like John Garrett...

And other Canucks fans.

And as long as they have Taylor Hall, I expect that dark, ugly cloud to remain over Edmonton. I am not sure why, but I get the sense that he is a cancer on that team. No doubt about his skill set, I just think he likes to have his way no matter what. I also believe that crummy attitude was accentuated by the Oiler's management offering these tools oodles of cash well before they needed to give it to them. The disaster that is the Edmonton Oilers is truly spectacular. Hartley couldn't screw up RNH, Eberle, Yakupov more even if he rotated them in net.

& yet we expect Monahan & Gaudreau to be worth 6.5-7.5 x 8 after the same amount of time. :lol:

Other than than lucking into the playoffs last season the Flames haven't done that much better with those 2 on the team. We hope they'll earn those contracts but to date they really haven't proven it any more than the Oiler Golden Boys.

That's the Devil's Advocate approach but our 2 (3 if you count Bennett) really haven't proven themselves more than Hall, RNH & Eberle. The #s tossed round on here might prove to be as premature as KLowe jumping the gun for fear they play out their 2nd contracts & leave.

• Like 1

I believe we will improve, I just don't like to predict playoffs and high success. I am liking the additions and interested in what else gets done. I think we will be close, but i want to wait and see.

Last summer we had guys expecting playoffs and contending for the Cup. We need to temper expectations.

Or we begin to sound like John Garrett...

And other Canucks fans.

A few things transpired to make us a far worse team last year.  The first was having a horrible pair of goalies.  Leabue average from either would have gone a long way.  The second was coaching failing to adapt.  Lastly, the defense were in disarray.  Passive defensive positioning, overuse of stretch passes, no Brodie to help bring Gio back from a major injury....

Even with all that, we were still only 10 points out.  The pluses were that Johnny was a star to begin with, so scoring was not a big issue.  He carried the team offensively and Brodie did the same on the blueline.  

& yet we expect Monahan & Gaudreau to be worth 6.5-7.5 x 8 after the same amount of time. :lol:

Other than than lucking into the playoffs last season the Flames haven't done that much better with those 2 on the team. We hope they'll earn those contracts but to date they really haven't proven it any more than the Oiler Golden Boys.

That's the Devil's Advocate approach but our 2 (3 if you count Bennett) really haven't proven themselves more than Hall, RNH & Eberle. The #s tossed round on here might prove to be as premature as KLowe jumping the gun for fear they play out their 2nd contracts & leave.

I'm actually surprised you are the first to mention this.  In some ways it was a smart deal at the time.  Locked them up so that now Hall's deal looks like a steal.  On the other hand, convert those deals to today's cap and dollars, and they are closer to $8m, at least with Eberle's.  

That is the kick in the head. Oilers screwed up the entire league by agreeing to these contracts. The Oilers are to the NHL what George W. Bush was to politics in the Middle East.

Funny! I just mentioned that in another thread.

Travel, I hate when we reference the fact we were "only" 10 points out. It doesn't comment on the actual look of the team the eye reference of what this team looked like the whole year. This is where stats do not fly. So we were 10 points out? but we also faced easier goalies and teams that didn't give their all because we ended up winning a few extra games.

10 points is flattering a disaster of a season.

Stats only say so much and they don't tell the whole story.

• Like 1

Funny! I just mentioned that in another thread.

Travel, I hate when we reference the fact we were "only" 10 points out. It doesn't comment on the actual look of the team the eye reference of what this team looked like the whole year. This is where stats do not fly. So we were 10 points out? but we also faced easier goalies and teams that didn't give their all because we ended up winning a few extra games.

10 points is flattering a disaster of a season.

Stats only say so much and they don't tell the whole story.

You may or may not recall that we actually faced the top goalies this year.  Either in B2B games or in division games played in a row.

Somehow we managed to be 11th in goals for, yet worst in the league in goals against.  Goaltending was the primary reason for this pathetic showing in goals against.

• Like 1

Sooo....what does this mean, Ortio's out?

http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=887606&navid=DL|CGY|home

:(

Nope, I think it just means we have options now. He can take money into free agency and get the best backup possible. He said hes still negotiating with him. My guess is he wants him back on a 2 way deal, at the proper price. If he gets the chance to pick up a better backup he has no risk of another 3 headed monster next year

Nope, I think it just means we have options now. He can take money into free agency and get the best backup possible. He said hes still negotiating with him. My guess is he wants him back on a 2 way deal, at the proper price. If he gets the chance to pick up a better backup he has no risk of another 3 headed monster next year

Fixed that for you, and I agree with everything else.

Sooo....what does this mean, Ortio's out?

http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=887606&navid=DL|CGY|home

:(

Probably. He wasn't the right fit as the backup and there is no room for him in the AHL.

If they do sign him, it will probably be to come in and try to win the backup job and if he doesn't win it, let him find a job overseas.