s4xon

I think we could get a guy like Juuse Saros or Spencer Martin for cheap.   

If given the opportunity, either are nearly ready to step up imho.

Or previous suggestions.   Some are even available for free.

I'm unlikely to be happy with the outcome.  But few of us are, to be honest.

Hey JJ, perhaps the path to happiness begins with getting better goaltending this year than we had last year. :) And hopefully we already have that bona fide, lights-out starter making his way up the ranks :)

JTech, I like the way you think. Maybe there's a deal to be made with Vegas to pry Brossoit out of there and trade him to us :ph34r:

Hey JJ, perhaps the path to happiness begins with getting better goaltending this year than we had last year. :) And hopefully we already have that bona fide, lights-out starter making his way up the ranks :)

JTech, I like the way you think. Maybe there's a deal to be made with Vegas to pry Brossoit out of there and trade him to us :ph34r:

I was more thinking of getting him from Edmonton. Once he goes to Vegas they might want to hold onto their young goalies with upside.

Or previous suggestions. Some are even available for free.

I'm unlikely to be happy with the outcome. But few of us are, to be honest.

I need to see more from Saros, he has put up good numbers but not too many goalies his size end up as good starters in the NHL.

Martin just spent half of last season in the ECHL, so he is still a good 2-3 years away from the NHL.

Not a Spencer Martin fan, personally i'm higher on both Gillies/McDonald so acquiring another goalie in a similar range that takes time away from those two doens't make sense to me. Upside would have to be higher and I don't view Martin as having that high of upside. 

I also pass on Brossoit. I agree the return of Smid for him isn't great and in that case keeping him would be been ideal in hindsight, i'm not really sold on his upside as an NHL goalie. I think best case he settles into a 1B or backup role, I just havn't see the consistancy you want to see in a starting goalie. 

I do like Grabauer though and he would be a target of mine. He and Jared Coreau are the two guys that stand out to me when you think of the "young goalies that need a chance" crowd. 

Some interesting tidbits on goaltending. Nothing overly ground breaking, but sure sounds like the Flames will leave Buffalo with a new goalie. 

Conroy says trade is the desirable avenue to acquire a goalie. Won't write off free agency but definitely a second choice. #Flames

Dreger just had brief convo w/ Treliving short while ago. "It sure sounds like he's looking at Ben Bishop real hard." #Flames #TBLightning

Just chatted with Craig Conroy, some good tidbits. Says goalie options have opened up significantly since expansion announcement. #Flames

Or previous suggestions.   Some are even available for free.

I'm unlikely to be happy with the outcome.  But few of us are, to be honest.

Are those prospects you want or candidate for starting goalies/backups?

What do you trade for either of those guys?

Any concern with Martin spending most of the time in the ECHL?

My concern and why I'd be fine giving Reimer $4mill for one year is what happens if Ortio is our backup and outplays our new #1 goalie we just traded good assets for? We can only then protect one. Maybe I'm putty too much faith in Ortio's abilities.

If Ortio out plays Reimer (who on a 1 year contract will be UFA again & not need to be protected) you keep Ortio.

If neither plays well lets see if LV takes Ortio off our hands to shed whatever contract he gets.

It's a no lose proposition.

BTW, Reimer is UFA so wouldn't cost any assets. Just money & cap space.

My concern and why I'd be fine giving Reimer $4mill for one year is what happens if Ortio is our backup and outplays our new #1 goalie we just traded good assets for? We can only then protect one. Maybe I'm putty too much faith in Ortio's abilities.

I think if Ortio outplays the new goalie its a situation where 1- you probably didn't give up that good of assets to get that new goalie or 2 - the goalie isnt' good enough to get claimed anyway. Unless you are thinking Ortio is going to outplay someone like Varlamov/Bishop or whatever big name. Stragner things have happend i guess, but I don't think nearly enough of Ortio to think that is reasonably possible. 

I think is worth remember only 3 goalies are going to be drafted in the expansion draft. with the amount of goalies who could be out there and with Gilles looking auto protected whare the odds/chances Ortio is one of the best 3 goalies available? pretty slim IMO. 

Ortio's future depends on who is coming in via trade, if a guy like Fleury, Bishop or Varlamov come in and play 60 games Ortio will be brought back to be the back up. If it is a guy like Reimer or Elliot or someone who is more of a 40 game starter Ortio is gone as I don't think the Flames are sold on Ortio being anything more than a 20 game or less goalie in the NHL.

Is Ortio plus the 56th or 65th for Grubauer too much, not enough or just right.

For the extra 0.15 (& less term) I'd take the slightly younger Bishop 10 times out of 10.

Agreed...   and Bishop is still at the top of my wish list...

If Ortio out plays Reimer (who on a 1 year contract will be UFA again & not need to be protected) you keep Ortio.

If neither plays well lets see if

Treliving still has a job at the end of the season...   :ph34r:

• Like 1

well this has potential now ...

Dreger says on Insider Trading Bishop looks to be primary target for Flames.

McKenzie says there is a sense the Flames may have been given permission to talk to Bishop - but they don't know for sure.
If the next contract is too expensive they may move on to guys like Elliott

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/insider-...stamkos~897816

well this has potential now ...

Dreger says on Insider Trading Bishop looks to be primary target for Flames.

McKenzie says there is a sense the Flames may have been given permission to talk to Bishop - but they don't know for sure.

If the next contract is too expensive they may move on to guys like Elliott

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/insider-...stamkos~897816

I don't mind this. The only reason' i'm not for Bishop is his next deal could reach close to 8 mill if you go based on comps. If there is anyway you can keep him at under 7 mill AAV i'm more interested. 

I love Bishop I just don't love paying any goalie that much $$

Both.   A lot can be determined in training camp, everyone should be given consideration.    There's just no panic.  None.   We can make that big trade 5 games into the season just as easily as the offseason.  

3rd rounders....something like that.

None.

Both.   A lot can be determined in training camp, everyone should be given consideration.    There's just no panic.  None.   We can make that big trade 5 games into the season just as easily as the offseason.  

3rd rounders....something like that.

None.

I think what I was getting at was trading assets for a goalie that may not even be close to NHL ready seems risky, if you have to wait till camp to find out.  If you wait till the start of the season, then you have no draft currency from this year to use.  You have to trade prospects (good ones) and decent players.

Not knowing if these goalies are even available, I wouldn't say that this is a viable option.  

I'm not saying I want to give up a 6th overall for a very good goalie, but if it comes down to a couple of 2nds or 2nd and 3rd for that goalie, or 3rd round picks for a chance of a good goalie, I'm not sure the latter is worth it.

Kudos for the suggestions.  I think the draft pick currency evaporates by Friday/Saturday.

• Like 1

I don't mind this. The only reason' i'm not for Bishop is his next deal could reach close to 8 mill if you go based on comps. If there is anyway you can keep him at under 7 mill AAV i'm more interested. 

My only concern is if working out parameters of  a new deal is part of the consideration , that heavily implies #6 is probably in play . A Ben Bishop under term is worth way more than a Ben Bishop whos UFA a year from now .. and worth more than Anderson 

I think if Ortio outplays the new goalie its a situation where 1- you probably didn't give up that good of assets to get that new goalie or 2 - the goalie isnt' good enough to get claimed anyway. Unless you are thinking Ortio is going to outplay someone like Varlamov/Bishop or whatever big name. Stragner things have happend i guess, but I don't think nearly enough of Ortio to think that is reasonably possible. 

I think is worth remember only 3 goalies are going to be drafted in the expansion draft. with the amount of goalies who could be out there and with Gilles looking auto protected whare the odds/chances Ortio is one of the best 3 goalies available? pretty slim IMO. 

That's not correct.  Las Vegas has a fixed number of F(14), D(9) & G(3) they HAVE to draft, totalling 26 players.  They still have an additional 4 picks that can be anything, including 4 more goalies.  I'd expect them to take at least 4 G to cover their NHL and AHL teams, and possibly more if the options are good and they can then turn around and offer them as trade bait for better Forwards.

My only concern is if working out parameters of a new deal is part of the consideration , that heavily implies #6 is probably in play . A Ben Bishop under term is worth way more than a Ben Bishop whos UFA a year from now .. and worth more than Anderson

I don't see it that way. Can't actually do an extension with him until July anyway and he has a NMC so your likely going to have to speak wth him anyway about waiving that. I think it's a big step from gettkng basic contract parameters to having an extension.

I'm also very confident in the fact that the flames have no plans on using the 6th pick to get a goalie. Only think j could maybe see them doing is trading first rounders with Tampa and even that km skeptical they would do. They want that pick IMO.

I don't see it that way. Can't actually do an extension with him until July anyway and he has a NMC so your likely going to have to speak wth him anyway about waiving that. I think it's a big step from gettkng basic contract parameters to having an extension.

I'm also very confident in the fact that the flames have no plans on using the 6th pick to get a goalie. Only think j could maybe see them doing is trading first rounders with Tampa and even that km skeptical they would do. They want that pick IMO.

Yes, they want that pick but Bishop has got to be one of the top goalies in the league right now and age is OK, so giving up #6OA might be worth it.  The problem is getting a commitment on an extension and what that will cost, and getting all this done in the next 23 hours.

That's not correct. Las Vegas has a fixed number of F(14), D(9) & G(3) they HAVE to draft, totalling 26 players. They still have an additional 4 picks that can be anything, including 4 more goalies. I'd expect them to take at least 4 G to cover their NHL and AHL teams, and possibly more if the options are good and they can then turn around and offer them as trade bait for better Forwards.

Yes you are right and sorry my answer was misleading and I didn't say it right. I don't think they will select more than the minimum, maybe 4 but I don't think I will get they deep and certainly not deep enough where Ortio would be on the radar.

The 6th is out for sure.  The 2nd rounders and 3rds are more likely in play (not all of them).  I would think that some kind of conditional pick would be in the deal based on him re-signing.  WOuld have to be in 2017, as it would be too late for a 2016 one.

Yes, they want that pick but Bishop has got to be one of the top goalies in the league right now and age is OK, so giving up #6OA might be worth it.  The problem is getting a commitment on an extension and what that will cost, and getting all this done in the next 23 hours.

No!

Bishop is the best of the goalies who might be available but the market is minimal @ best. Stevie Y isn't in the driver's seat on a trade anymore than Rutherford is in Pitts with MAF. Let BT offer something & see if others offer higher. Unlikely because there aren't many teams actively searching for goalies that carry a big paycheck, have an injury history & are on a team in a tough spot.

TB has the option of trading him now or getting nothing if he goes UFA. Teams don't buy big money starters @ the TDL so they keep him, let him walk & hope to re-sign him after the expansion draft or trade him this  summer.

Keeping him ties up the money they need to re-up Stamkos or Killorn while Palat, Drouin, Hedman & Vasivskiy (& others) are due big raises next year. They have a lot of $s coming off the payroll after this season but that includes those pending RFAs, Stamkos gone this summer & Bishop the next.

#6OA is not the price for Bishop, is it?

No!

Bishop is the best of the goalies who might be available but the market is minimal @ best. Stevie Y isn't in the driver's seat on a trade anymore than Rutherford is in Pitts with MAF. Let BT offer something & see if others offer higher. Unlikely because there aren't many teams actively searching for goalies that carry a big paycheck, have an injury history & are on a team in a tough spot.

TB has the option of trading him now or getting nothing if he goes UFA. Teams don't buy big money starters @ the TDL so they keep him, let him walk & hope to re-sign him after the expansion draft or trade him this summer.

Keeping him ties up the money they need to re-up Stamkos or Killorn while Palat, Drouin, Hedman & Vasivskiy (& others) are due big raises next year. They have a lot of $s coming off the payroll after this season but that includes those pending RFAs, Stamkos gone this summer & Bishop the next.

I think neither Pittsburgh or Tampa are in a hurry to trade their goalies, both teams will consider it for the right return, but they aren't just going to give them away. Both teams still very much have cup aspirations and both have better chances of getting there by keeping their goaltending intact.