s4xon

When do the drafted option open for expansion this year or next the team doesnt play till next year

No idea what you are asking.

The expansion draft is next June.  The expansion draft happens, then the entry draft.  Vegas gets the 3rd position, pending the lotto results (they get the same chances more or less that Vancouver did this year).  The 2nd round on, they pick 3rd.

FA happens after that.

2017/18 is the first season of the Vegas team.

Very well written article.. I'm starting to like the idea of Reimer more and more.  His window to get paid is next year , sign him to a very affordable 1 year deal.. back him with an up and comer or even a good backup (Enroth)

gotta think if Im BT- im getting annoyed at the ridiculous return requests , tell them all to go pump sand.. Sign Reimer.. come back in year and pick at their carcasses :)

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/james-reimers-options/

what i mean is when do we need to protect our players for the expansion draft this year or next year when vegas enters

Next year , around this time

Very well written article.. I'm starting to like the idea of Reimer more and more.  His window to get paid is next year , sign him to a very affordable 1 year deal.. back him with an up and comer or even a good backup (Enroth)

gotta think if Im BT- im getting annoyed at the ridiculous return requests , tell them all to go pump sand.. Sign Reimer.. come back in year and pick at their carcasses :)

That was an entertaining read.  I agree the Calgary and Reimer are a natural fit.  With Pitts seemingly not keen on trading MAF, at least not for a reasonable deal, i'd get Reimer.  He's a decent goalie and shouldn't break the bank.  $3*3.

Very well written article.. I'm starting to like the idea of Reimer more and more. His window to get paid is next year , sign him to a very affordable 1 year deal.. back him with an up and comer or even a good backup (Enroth)

The part that stuck out the most for me in this article, was that on every other team Reimer was thought to fit in as a backup or a 1B.

I want a 1, or at worst a 1A. I am tired of trying to get by with backups and 1B's. Reimer only makes sense if we can't land a legit starter via trade.

The part that stuck out the most for me in this article, was that on every other team Reimer was thought to fit in as a backup or a 1B.

I want a 1, or at worst a 1A. I am tired of trying to get by with backups and 1B's. Reimer only makes sense if we can't land a legit starter via trade.

thats not a knock on Reimer, its that those teams already have an established #1.. or.. theyre breaking in their future #1.. like we want to do eventually 

but i do agree with the Bolded, I'm just going off the premise that these teams are attempting to gouge us, luckily we have a GM who wont be forced. Feaster would have given our 1st and all 3 2nds by now.

All I'm saying is Reimer at about 3.5 for one year and whomever else.. kinda makes more sense than  some of the options based on what these teams seem to want... many seem to be in no rush to do anything, whereas by TDL or sooner many of these will calling to beg us to give them anything  .. that or we can have a bigger shopping spree this time next year .

hopefully after the rules came out today a few of these teams will come to their senses, but if it comes down to it I'm almost wanting this more..  more than Fleury at least .. if we can snag Bishop Or Elliot then ya I'm all over it if the price isn't ridiculous.

• Like 1

thats not a knock on Reimer, its that those teams already have an established #1.. or.. theyre breaking in their future #1.. like we want to do eventually

but i do agree with the Bolded, I'm just going off the premise that these teams are attempting to gouge us, luckily we have a GM who wont be forced. Feaster would have given our 1st and all 3 2nds by now.

All I'm saying is Reimer at about 3.5 for one year and whomever else.. kinda makes more sense than some of the options based on what these teams seem to want... many seem to be in no rush to do anything, whereas by TDL or sooner many of these will calling to beg us to give them anything .. that or we can have a bigger shopping spree this time next year .

hopefully after the rules came out today a few of these teams will come to their senses, but if it comes down to it I'm almost wanting this more.. more than Fleury at least .. if we can snag Bishop Or Elliot then ya I'm all over it if the price isn't ridiculous.

Anything more than $2.5mill for Reimer is too much. I see Reimer as nothing more than a 1b and if we are counting on him to carry the load than the playoffs are a long shot.

I see Reimer as under rated do to the sh!! team he comes from. (excuse my opinion)

He was much better at the end of the season for the Sharks.

I believe if you put our D in front of him and a team that back checks, he becomes a whole different man behind the mask.

If we could sign him to a $3.5m for 3yrs I would be happy. He is at the least as good as Ramo and then some. Still young with room to improve in with a new group of guys without having the TO media beating him down and Gillies gets the time he needs.

• Like 1

Anything more than $2.5mill for Reimer is too much. I see Reimer as nothing more than a 1b and if we are counting on him to carry the load than the playoffs are a long shot.

I will start off saying I don't think Ramo was worth as much as he got, but who do you think is better or would you say they're equal?

I see Reimer as an upgrade to Ramo even if minimal and we gave Ramo close to 4 didn't we?

I thought Ramo would've gotten 2.5-3 on his last but I think he got 3.9.

Can Reimer be a number 1 go to guy for the lion's share of games in a season? I think he has the tools, compete, and personality that would be a fit here, but I am concerned about the lack of games played per season and his injury history (concussions).

But when I compare him to the goalies out there:

Ramo - Coming off a big injury, and we already know how he plays. I believe he's capable of more, but needs to tune his game and aim for consistency night in and night out. I also think Reimer can be had for less than (or equal to) Ramo's previous salary. Reimer today > Ramo of yesterday

Fleury - had concussions as well (that's how he lost the starter job to Murray), he'll cost more than Reimer, and their numbers are pretty even. Unless there's a contract going back to Pittsburgh (wideman, or otherwise), Reimer gets my vote.

Bishop - I think Bishop > Reimer, but Bishop also has injury history that knocked him out of the past 2 playoffs... and his salary is high, and he's a UFA at the end of this season... so, like above, unless a contract is going the other way, Reimer > Bishop

Bobrovsky - Injury history yet again, and I wouldn't even touch that $7.5mil cap hit for the next 3 years. Not even with a contract going the other way. Reimer > Bob

Howard - Sorry, I don't like his game, and his stats are going the wrong direction as well the past few years. I see him as a goalie on his way out, so I don't even consider him.   

Elliott - I don't think St. Louis moves him. They kept Hitchcock for one more year, and I don't think they're going to deal away Elliott despite that he'll be a UFA. I think they're going for it and keeping their goalies in Hitch's final year coaching.

Vasilevsky, Murray, Korpisalo, Pickard... I don't think these guys are going anywhere.

That's my 2 cents.

I will start off saying I don't think Ramo was worth as much as he got, but who do you think is better or would you say they're equal?

I see Reimer as an upgrade to Ramo even if minimal and we gave Ramo close to 4 didn't we?

I thought Ramo would've gotten 2.5-3 on his last but I think he got 3.9.

Ramo should never have been at that level of pay and I have to agree with J Tech, we shouldn't be going over 2.5M for someone such as Reimer. I would give him 3 years at that figure if this is where we end up.

• Like 1

Ramo should never have been at that level of pay and I have to agree with J Tech, we shouldn't be going over 2.5M for someone such as Reimer. I would give him 3 years at that figure if this is where we end up.

See, and I would give him 1 year at somewhere between 3 and 4.

His numbers have been good to great on a bad team. Multiple reasons why he has never owned the #1 spot, many not his fault and some are. Hes UFA in the wrong year, next year he would get paid regardless.

Give him that year to prove it. Nobody can argue hes a big upgrade on what we had and we are the only team he can prove it on as #1.

He goes lights out? BT I am sure will gladly pay him.

The only question mark anybody should have in him is can he carry the load of 50-60 games, and thats why you back him up with a proven backup or up and comer. I would even agree with Kuemper in this case, but somebody else like Enroth would make sense too.

He has literally no bargaining power, and on a 1 year we will see the best he can bring.

Were all (myself included) willing to accept almost 6+ million and up on aging proven vets who are either injury prone or known playoff wilters but we're not willing to give a show me contract to a young goalie who's put up good numbers whos only real question mark is his ceiling? I really don't get it

I say sign him, and use those picks we would have used on the other guys and get that #2 guy

• Like 1

See, and I would give him 1 year at somewhere between 3 and 4.

His numbers have been good to great on a bad team. Multiple reasons why he has never owned the #1 spot, many not his fault and some are. Hes UFA in the wrong year, next year he would get paid regardless.

Give him that year to prove it. Nobody can argue hes a big upgrade on what we had and we are the only team he can prove it on as #1.

He goes lights out? BT I am sure will gladly pay him.

The only question mark anybody should have in him is can he carry the load of 50-60 games, and thats why you back him up with a proven backup or up and comer. I would even agree with Kuemper in this case, but somebody else like Enroth would make sense too.

He has literally no bargaining power, and on a 1 year we will see the best he can bring.

Were all (myself included) willing to accept almost 6+ million and up on aging proven vets who are either injury prone or known playoff wilters but we're not willing to give a show me contract to a young goalie who's put up good numbers whos only real question mark is his ceiling? I really don't get it

I say sign him, and use those picks we would have used on the other guys and get that #2 guy

My view of Reimer is in a tandem with someone such as Vasilevskiy who would have this season at a low fixed cost and then his RFA after that. Reimer at 2.5M would be worth it to shore up the amount of games to be built up between them and at 2.5M reamer would always be tradeable.

My view of Reimer is in a tandem with someone such as Vasilevskiy who would have this season at a low fixed cost and then his RFA after that. Reimer at 2.5M would be worth it to shore up the amount of games to be built up between them and at 2.5M reamer would always be tradeable.

He made almost that now, if youre signing him with the intent of letting him be #1 hes at least earned a raise to 3-3.5

I know I said he has no bargaining power but let's not put the boots to the guy.

And I agree put him with a guy who has a higher game ceiling..could ve Ortio, could be anybody really..but I personally like Enroth

He made almost that now, if youre signing him with the intent of letting him be #1 hes at least earned a raise to 3-3.5

I know I said he has no bargaining power but let's not put the boots to the guy.

And I agree put him with a guy who has a higher game ceiling..could ve Ortio, could be anybody really..but I personally like Enroth

STL has both Elliott and Allen at 2.5M so I don't think with the number of UFA goalies out there this would insult him. Also he wouldn't necessarily be our starter, we could go 1A and 1B.

Chris Nichols @NicholsOnHockey

Dreger just had brief convo w/ Treliving short while ago. "It sure sounds like he's looking at Ben Bishop real hard."

Interesting. I'm wondering if BT is thinking further ahead than we are. Yes we need a goalie for the upcoming season, and perhaps, since certain GMs want to play hard ball - ahem, Rutherford - maybe Bishop, having 1 year remaining on his contract, is exactly what he's looking for. We get to negotiate with Bishop during the season for his next contract, and if it doesn't play out, BT can revisit Rutherford when he has 10 days to decide what to do about his Fleury and Murray situation. Talk about putting a guy in a corner... Brian Elliott may also be available at the end of next season - I'm not sure her re-signs with St. Louis splitting duties with Jake Allen. Then again, Vancouver will be in our boat at the end of next season as well - Miller is UFA and Markstrom RFA, so Rutherford could have an opportunity to pit us against each other for Fleury. Thanks to expansion, it's going to be a crazy those 10 days at the end of the season, and hopefully a pretty active season leading up to (and on) TDL day.

Frank Seravalli Verified account @frank_seravalli

Treliving says it's a balancing act of timing and acquisition cost for goalies on move w/ expansion draft. Teams may wait til next deadline.

https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/746003415763927040?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Additionally, maybe BT is looking for Bishop in a package deal. We know TB has to re-up quite a few RFAs and they have potential cap space issues (Stamkos). Maybe someone with a contract on our end, or someone that wouldn't draw as much salary looks attractive to Stevie Y (Bouma, Jooris, maybe even Raymond @ $2.2?).

Just had a look at Wideman's salary. Unfortunately it looks like it was back-loaded, so, while his cap hit is $5.25, his actual salary is $6mil. Doesn't help the cause.

Interesting. I'm wondering if BT is thinking further ahead than we are. Yes we need a goalie for the upcoming season, and perhaps, since certain GMs want to play hard ball - ahem, Rutherford - maybe Bishop, having 1 year remaining on his contract, is exactly what he's looking for. We get to negotiate with Bishop during the season for his next contract, and if it doesn't play out, BT can revisit Rutherford when he has 10 days to decide what to do about his Fleury and Murray situation. Talk about putting a guy in a corner... Brian Elliott may also be available at the end of next season - I'm not sure her re-signs with St. Louis splitting duties with Jake Allen. Then again, Vancouver will be in our boat at the end of next season as well - Miller is UFA and Markstrom RFA, so Rutherford could have an opportunity to pit us against each other for Fleury. Thanks to expansion, it's going to be a crazy those 10 days at the end of the season, and hopefully a pretty active season leading up to (and on) TDL day.

Additionally, maybe BT is looking for Bishop in a package deal. We know TB has to re-up quite a few RFAs and they have potential cap space issues (Stamkos). Maybe someone with a contract on our end, or someone that wouldn't draw as much salary looks attractive to Stevie Y (Bouma, Jooris, maybe even Raymond @ $2.2?).

Just had a look at Wideman's salary. Unfortunately it looks like it was back-loaded, so, while his cap hit is $5.25, his actual salary is $6mil. Doesn't help the cause.

If we are looking at a bigger deal, I would be looking for Killorn.

Chris Nichols @NicholsOnHockey

Dreger just had brief convo w/ Treliving short while ago. "It sure sounds like he's looking at Ben Bishop real hard."

For the extra 0.15 (& less term) I'd take the slightly younger Bishop 10 times out of 10. As I said in a previous post I figure he'll re-up @ a reasonable price after a year in our locker room & seeing the limited market for starting goalies.

Both teams are in similar boats needing to shed 1 of their 2 goalies (TB for cap space, Pitts because of the pending expansion draft). Both will also ask high returns initially but if BT sits tight the limited goalie market will have Stevie Y & Rutherford calling him with increasingly lower returns they would be willing to accept. Before training camp he can decide @ his price.

Regardless of who he decides on I hope we have a dang good backup/relief goalie under contract by then. I like Montoya but there are other good 1s available @ b/u prices of 1-1.5.

• Like 1

I think we could get a guy like Juuse Saros or Spencer Martin for cheap.   

If given the opportunity, either are nearly ready to step up imho.

Or previous suggestions.   Some are even available for free.

I'm unlikely to be happy with the outcome.  But few of us are, to be honest.

So I thought I would throw this out there, Edmonton has Talbot on a NMC making it so that he has to be protected in the expansion draft, making Laurent Brossoit unprotected.

I wonder if we could swipe one of those goalies on the cheap.

Talbot has 3 more years at $4.17mill making him an attractive option contract wise. He also put up a .917 save % on an absolutely terrible team.

Brossoit has had some good numbers in the AHL, didn't fare too well in the NHL last year but again...Edmonton...He's not ready to be a starter but he has good upside and can probably be a backup this year.

• Like 1

Just stumbled across another name Philipp Grubauer, Washington will protect Holtby leaving Grubauer unprotected. He could be a guy that is ready for the next step. He has put up great numbers at every level. Pair him with a vet 1b like Reimer and I think Grubauer could be a very good goalie for us.

• Like 2

So I thought I would throw this out there, Edmonton has Talbot on a NMC making it so that he has to be protected in the expansion draft, making Laurent Brossoit unprotected.

I wonder if we could swipe one of those goalies on the cheap.

Talbot has 3 more years at $4.17mill making him an attractive option contract wise. He also put up a .917 save % on an absolutely terrible team.

Brossoit has had some good numbers in the AHL, didn't fare too well in the NHL last year but again...Edmonton...He's not ready to be a starter but he has good upside and can probably be a backup this year.

I'm still not happy we got rid of Brossoit.