s4xon

At worst, we have to buy his final season out.  $2.7m retained for 2016/17 and $716k for 2017/18,  Not great, but a calculated risk. The upside is we have a starter signed through next season.  

I would rather wait and get a legit starter. I think Anton Khudobin might be available and could be a good option. I also wonder with Hellebuyck playing really well in Winnipeg if the Jets would move Hutchinson. He is only 25 and is a RFA at the end of the season. I don't think he is a true number 1 but he is a solid goalie, and would provide solid depth, we would also be able to target a true number 1 in the offseason.

I am really on the fence with Bernier. On one hand we lack options. We also don't have an NHL goalie signed to start next season so we can afford him. But in the other he has two good seasons under his belt and is 27. His last good season was 2 years ago. This season he has been out aged by two very marginal goalies.

I am okay with taking a risk based on potential. But is he the next Dubnyk? Or is he what he appears to be, a borderline NHL goalie?

If Anderson or another option isn't available then I consider him. But I look at other options first.

I would rather wait and get a legit starter. I think Anton Khudobin might be available and could be a good option. I also wonder with Hellebuyck playing really well in Winnipeg if the Jets would move Hutchinson. He is only 25 and is a RFA at the end of the season. I don't think he is a true number 1 but he is a solid goalie, and would provide solid depth, we would also be able to target a true number 1 in the offseason.

I thought that Khudobin was a good backup when he was in Boston, but last year and this year his numbers look surprisingly bad.

Carolina might do that to you, but he hasn't been great as a Duck in his limited play.  I don't know that he much better an option than Hiller right now, and possibly worse going forward.

The Toronto goalie situation is much like Calgary's, no true consistent #1.  Bernier's confidence is gone, after being called out by the coach as not being a good option.  His numbers are better than Hiller's (except for wins) on a lesser team.  Big risk on his contract, but not anymore than Hiller for game play.  

Khudobin is on waivers today. He is an upgrade over Hiller and in 8 games so far this season he has put up similar numbers to Ramo. He is a UFA at the end of the year so if he doesn't work out you just move on.

He is a temporary stop Gap to get us through this year ad I don't think will be getting a number 1 till the off-season.

We would have to put Hiller on waivers and send him down tomorrow but I think it is worth a look as Khudobin doesn't cost anything to acquire.

Khudobin is on waivers today. He is an upgrade over Hiller and in 8 games so far this season he has put up similar numbers to Ramo. He is a UFA at the end of the year so if he doesn't work out you just move on.

He is a temporary stop Gap to get us through this year ad I don't think will be getting a number 1 till the off-season.

We would have to put Hiller on waivers and send him down tomorrow but I think it is worth a look as Khudobin doesn't cost anything to acquire.

As a cheap-ish pickup, it makes sense.  The problem is the roster has to be clear of the player before you could claim him.  Only solution would be a paper demotion of Granlund to allow time to waive Hiller.  As well, we don't have the cap space to claim him.

If the Flames were intent on this, they could allow Khudobin to pass through and deal for him with a current roster player.  That way we could keep him in the AHL until we get him up to NHL level again (and do something with Hiller).

On a side note, Ramo gets the start on Tuesday.  That speaks volumes. 

As a cheap-ish pickup, it makes sense.  The problem is the roster has to be clear of the player before you could claim him.  Only solution would be a paper demotion of Granlund to allow time to waive Hiller.  As well, we don't have the cap space to claim him.

If the Flames were intent on this, they could allow Khudobin to pass through and deal for him with a current roster player.  That way we could keep him in the AHL until we get him up to NHL level again (and do something with Hiller).

On a side note, Ramo gets the start on Tuesday.  That speaks volumes.

Not sure I agree about that. While Hiller did win the last two, Ramo was playing pretty well before he was puking in the laundry room. Now that he is recovered, it makes some sense to throw him back out there. Didn't see the ladt game though, so I guess I can't comment on Hiller's performance.

According to hockeyscap.com we have over $2.1m in space and Khudobin should be less than that by now. I could be wrong but I think we can fit him in. We would have to temporarily send Granlund down till Hiller and or Raymond cleared.

Bouma is expected back this or next week.  Would need to waive Bollig/Raymond/Jooris and Hiller, if Granlund is only a temporary assignment.  We likely have enough (if they show actual cap hit and don't subtract Bouma's) space.  The small relief for Hiller and other would be about $1.9m as well.  Lot of money tied up in the AHL.

Bouma is expected back this or next week. Would need to waive Bollig/Raymond/Jooris and Hiller, if Granlund is only a temporary assignment. We likely have enough (if they show actual cap hit and don't subtract Bouma's) space. The small relief for Hiller and other would be about $1.9m as well. Lot of money tied up in the AHL.

If we want to upgrade Hiller and we want Granlund to stay up, then we are going to have to send Hiller down for sure and one of the forwards you mentioned.

Hiller is an untradeable boat anchor at this point.

If we want to upgrade Hiller and we want Granlund to stay up, then we are going to have to send Hiller down for sure and one of the forwards you mentioned.

Hiller is an untradeable boat anchor at this point.

I know.  Just thinking that the only way to put in a claim would be to paper demote Granlund and waive Hiller today. That would allow Granlund and the goalie to both be available for Tuesday's game.  Only risk is that a team below us gets first crack. 

I know.  Just thinking that the only way to put in a claim would be to paper demote Granlund and waive Hiller today. That would allow Granlund and the goalie to both be available for Tuesday's game.  Only risk is that a team below us gets first crack. 

We demote Granlund when we find out if we won the claim or not. We would have to wait till tomorrow to waive Hiller and then wait another day after that to send him down. Granlund would miss tomorrow's game.

We demote Granlund when we find out if we won the claim or not. We would have to wait till tomorrow to waive Hiller and then wait another day after that to send him down. Granlund would miss tomorrow's game.

We'd really be swinging from a rope if Khudobin doesn't look any better than Ortio.

I realize I'm giving Hiller a lot of rope, but I believe his errors are mental/influenza and can be overcome.

All I'm saying is I want the move to be the right one, not the right now one. I know you guys are just spitballing, but you also have to look at the flip side that maybe he sucks and you just put the boots to Hiller in the altogether.

I had a lot of faith in our roster to start the season and many had hiccups, but for my money, none go under the bus, you pick up the one's that are flailing, it'll only serve you better.

Call it blind faith, but it's faith no less.

I don't know if you can even make the claim when you have 23.  Unless you hear something about Granlund today, the claim is not going to happen.  I really wonder what value Hiller has to the team now.  Hartley should have started him, if he was only bad due to being sick.  Ramo got the nod today.

We'd really be swinging from a rope if Khudobin doesn't look any better than Ortio.

I realize I'm giving Hiller a lot of rope, but I believe his errors are mental/influenza and can be overcome.

All I'm saying is I want the move to be the right one, not the right now one. I know you guys are just spitballing, but you also have to look at the flip side that maybe he sucks and you just put the boots to Hiller in the altogether.

I had a lot of faith in our roster to start the season and many had hiccups, but for my money, none go under the bus, you pick up the one's that are flailing, it'll only serve you better.

The only thing that happens is that Hiller gets starter time in Stockton while we evaluate the new guy.  If he didn't turn out, we waive/offer him back.  Cost money and cap, but at least does something.

I think you always have to be looking to improve your team even if it is only by a little. Hiller hasn't been god from the start of the season flu or otherwise. I was one who was saying that this team isn't going to be a playoff team unless Hiller gets us there because I didn't think Ramo or Ortio were good enough to do it. Well Hiller has been terrible and the coach seems to have lost confidence in Hiller and Hartley isn't the first coach to have lost confidence in Hiller. 

If Hiller were to go down he might actually be able to help Stockton because Ortio hasn't been very good so far.

I am against carrying 4 "mediocre" goalies...  

• I don't think this is a good time to bring in another "hope he can" goaltender....
  • I don't want to "take a chance" that they might be better.
  • I don't see how any waiver claim of any goaltender can be much more than hoping he is a minor upgrade.
  • I don't care if they are UFA at the end of the season. 

Carrying 3 at one time was a bad enough situation.

The only reason I would pick up another goalie is if he is a true #1 or Elite Goaltender. Then let the other 3 fight for backup spots or farm spots, as that is about how well they have played this season.

• Like 1

I would think his 2 Stanley Cup Rings would tell even the most novice hockey fan that he is at the very least a good starter on any team.

I think that they have two Stanley Cups despite Crawford rather than because of him. Now, he does come up big at important times. I am not sure I would want him on the Flames. 

Is Ilya still in Bryziness?

On a serious note, I took a look around the league to see who the potential Kippers were. I'm not done yet, but here's some names so far. I'm not saying they are the next Kipper, just they are possible younglings. *s are people I might seriously consider. Now we have some new talking points.

MAREK LANGHAMER
ANDERS LINDBACK
JEREMY SMITH
LINUS ULLMARK*
IVAN NALIMOV
CALVIN PICKARD
ANTON FORSBERG*
JARED COREAU
BRODY HOFFMAN
DARCY KUEMPER
Mike Condon
MAREK MAZANEC
KEITH KINKAID
CHRISTOPHER GIBSON
MAGNUS HELLBERG

I think that they have two Stanley Cups despite Crawford rather than because of him. Now, he does come up big at important times. I am not sure I would want him on the Flames. 

Crawford has been top 10 in Save % 3 of the last 4 years. He is a number 1. I would take Crawford on the Flames in a heartbeat. 

Is Ilya still in Bryziness?

Top 10 Bryzgaloz Quotes;

10. “Too old? Too Skilled?”

9. “I love it. Sometimes hate it. A few weeks ago they broke my chest protector during the practice, and guys continue start hitting me in the same spot. Why so painful? I don’t want to be goalie now.'”

8. “Siberian Husky. She’s all white. Beautiful blue eyes. That’s basically blonde girl with blue eyes. Your dream, man. My husky, basically, she’s a hot girl, man.”

7. “You know, I have many faces … masks. In home, I have one face. Public, I have other face. Uh … ahhhh, on ice I have different face. Day off I have four face. With you I have fifth face.”

6. “When I signed here, people said, ‘Oh, you know where you’re going? You’re going to hell, you know? They hate … They’ve never had goalies, they go hard on goalies. (Philadelphia) is a miserable market for goalies.

5. “I think like, ‘And we have some problems here on the earth we worry about? Compared to like…nothing. Just be happy. Don’t worry be happy right now”

4. “Can I sit in the office and accept the calls? Like ‘1-800 … let me transfer you to a different department.”

3. “OK, they fire the puck from the blue line. Chief usually yelling ‘block the shot’ at the defensemen. They doesn’t have the goalie gear, but they have to block the shot. So who is more crazy, me or the defensemen? Who is more weird?”

2. “This is tiger and less than 5 like probably 500 species left on earth, yeah.  China law, if you kill tiger like this, death penalty. Yeah. If you kill tiger and they find you, your dead, that’s it.”

1. “I’m very into the universe, you know like how was created, you know, like, what is it, you know? Solar system is so humongous big, right? But if you see like our solar system and our galaxy on the side, you know, like, we’re so small you can never see it. Our galaxy is like huge, but if you see the big picture our galaxy (is) like a small tiny-like dot in the universe. “

• I don't think this is a good time to bring in another "hope he can" goaltender....
  • I don't see how any waiver claim of any goaltender can be much more than hoping he is a minor upgrade.

The only reason I would pick up another goalie is if he is a true #1 or Elite Goaltender. Then let the other 3 fight for backup spots or farm spots, as that is about how well they have played this season.

Well said Deeds.  Great minds think alike. ;)

Well said Deeds.  Great minds think alike. ;)

I agree with this as well.  Lets make the next goalie really count.  BT will be in a great position this spring, clean state, position wide open, he will find the best goalie available to move this team forward.  Wonder who it will be?  

We aren't going to get a true #1 or an elite goaltender in season that move will have to wait till the off season. A minor upgrade is still and upgrade.

The current tandem isn't going to cut it, especially if we want to have any chance at making the playoffs. The current tandem gets us closer to Matthews than it does the playoffs, which in the long run might be better for this team.