s4xon

If it makes anyone feel better. Jon Gillies just got his second shutout in his first three AHL games with a 36 save performance including what some are calling a save of the year candidate in the third period. 

Yes and no.....If he plays backup to  Ramo down there, I may actually be more frustrated than I was watching Ortio sit.

You id.  It's preliminary, but things are looking in your favour with those shutouts :)

If Gillies backs up Ramo all season, though...

I don't have high hopes for him either.  Let's hope.

I would not be too worried about Gillies being backup the way he has started this season. They may cut into his starts to get Ramo some ice time but they still need Gillies to learn his craft.

• Like 2

Agree. Gillies will run with the ball for a while I suspect.

Going to be interesting to see how Ramo reacts to this. Will he be professional and take his lumps or will we see the uglier side as these things tend to go? 

Or.....

Will someone take a flier on him and he stays in the NHL?

Ortio isn't our saviour. He might not be any better the Hiller or Ramo. I don't think anyone is suggesting that he is the savior. But having him sit in the press box while the Flames struggle with poor goaltending from their vets didn't make sense.

I am fine with him playing backup Friday. At least he is "part of the equation" now. That assumes they send Ramo down and don't keep running with three.

An interesting scenario for Ramo (assuming he clears), is that he actually becomes more tradeable sitting in the AHL.  

A team can keep him there without having to waive any other players, and can keep him in their system while they evaluate their own guys.  If Buffalo picked him up now, they wouldn't be able to evaluate their current guys.  Once Lehner comes back, they would have to offer Ramo back to us before waiving him.

Maybe BT can swing a deal with him in the AHL.  Or keep him there until Hiller (possibly) folds. 

Somewhat agree.  Goaltending is a problem, so it has to be fixed.  Get Ortio involved in the solution.

Defense is also a problem.  Fix that by switching up the pairs.  Insert (possibly) 2 new guys.

Some forwards have been looking bad.  Send Raymond down and sit Bollig.  Call up somebody and sit somebody.

The root cause is unknown.  It looks to be chemistry, lack of skill, lack of compete, or returning to normal.

You can't just pick one thing and wait for it to right the ship.  You have to fix a few things at once and look for immediate returns.

Some things will show not to be working, but at least you haven't waited 5 more games to try something else.

I agree with BH, you have to get who you deem as your regulars adequate playing time so they can perform in game shape. Now with the Ramo decision you can give Hiller the run and have Ortio come in on back to back games or on a scheduled basis.

If some of the defensive pairing changes that occurred later in the last game stick maybe this signals they have realized Giordano and Hamilton isn't working. Brodies return will also help solidify what our D looks like going forward from there.

I like that they were willing to try some different lines but I will likely never be sold on Backlund being more than a 3rd line C. I would rather see them find the right LW to play with Bennett and Hudler. Maybe that is Gaudreau ??? Put Colborne on Monahan's line with Frolik. A line of Ferland, Backlund and Jooris would be a good checking/energy line with some scoring abilities. Bollig, Stajan and Jones for a 4th line is fine with me.

Well it looks like Ramo cleared waivers no one wants his contract can't blame them he isn't playing NHL calibre hockey. Hope he hones his skills in AHL or we are going to be paying out over 3 mil for an AHL player that sucks. Tell me does it still count towards our Cap ?  

I agree with BH, you have to get who you deem as your regulars adequate playing time so they can perform in game shape. Now with the Ramo decision you can give Hiller the run and have Ortio come in on back to back games or on a scheduled basis.

If some of the defensive pairing changes that occurred later in the last game stick maybe this signals they have realized Giordano and Hamilton isn't working. Brodies return will also help solidify what our D looks like going forward from there.

I like that they were willing to try some different lines but I will likely never be sold on Backlund being more than a 3rd line C. I would rather see them find the right LW to play with Bennett and Hudler. Maybe that is Gaudreau ??? Put Colborne on Monahan's line with Frolik. A line of Ferland, Backlund and Jooris would be a good checking/energy line with some scoring abilities. Bollig, Stajan and Jones for a 4th line is fine with me.

Backlund/Gio/Brodie was a possession monster last year.  Maybe Brodie was the glue holding that together too.

I would rather see Hartley double shift Johnny with Bennett and Hudler than use it as the 1st line.  For one thing, that is asking too much to have Bennett be the top line.  For another, Johnny is the best offensive player on the team and doesn't need to be sheltered like Bennett does.

I think we saw some signs of Frolik working with Johnny and Mony.  Maybe use that as the line for the PP, and use Frolik with Bennett (at center) and Backlund on the wing.

Well it looks like Ramo cleared waivers no one wants his contract can't blame them he isn't playing NHL calibre hockey. Hope he hones his skills in AHL or we are going to be paying out over 3 mil for an AHL player that sucks. Tell me does it still count towards our Cap ?  

Yes

The NHL does not want teams easily burying players or their cap in the Minors.

edit:

I do believe that the Flames will get something like 1/3rd of his cap hit as relief but not near as much as it used to be.

Any goaltender would be rattled by the way our D has been playing, then there are the countless times the forwards have not been getting back to cover in the D zone either...   Then on top of that there has been an abundance of turnovers due to sloppy passes on both ends of the ice, etc...   etc...

Ramo has let in some soft ones and so has Hiller...   They have both also made some great saves as well, some on shots that shouldn't have been allowed to happen...

As Deeds has  already pointed out, throwing Ortio to the wolves with the way the team has been playing for 5 of the 6 games so far this season could easily set back his development, or worse as we've all seen happen before,  ruin a goaltender with solid potential...

My guess is Ramo will rebound from this, as he usually deals with the pressure after a bad game quite well...   He's the one that got the spanking, but Hiller deserved it just as much...   As far as Ramo's contract goes, it's a little high, but not that much over market for a goaltender that played a substantial role in getting the team as far as they went last season...   It's only a one year deal, and if it was longer then we might have more reason to be more concerned about it...   But at the time, it was the right thing for Treliving to do...   I hope that Gillies get's the majority of the starts, and if need be Ramo will be back up with the Flames...   I also think that unless Hiller really steps up, either he could be traded, or we might see him on waivers as well...

A lot of us weren't too happy with the unusual move of carrying three goaltenders, but we have to realize that they were backed into a corner due to circumstance...   Then there is the frustration for some that it seemed to take so long to get back to carrying two like normal, but when you remember how last season  was divided into seven game segments, and the Flames have only played six games so far, the time it took for the move to be made really isn't all that surprising...   The decision of which goaltender to put on waivers was no doubt difficult as they had to try and get it right...   and then it's also possible that they were trying to trade either Hiller or Ramo before risking putting one of them on waivers...

If the team starts playing better as a whole, and the number of quality scoring chances against is reduced, that will go a long way...   Let's hope it happens soon...

Yes

The NHL does not want teams easily burying players or their cap in the Minors.

edit:

I do believe that the Flames will get something like 1/3rd of his cap hit as relief but not near as much as it used to be.

They get about 900K relief and the rest counts against the cap. I beleive its the minimum NHL salary + 375K which I beleive is in he 900K range. So Ramo counts about 2.8 of his 3.8 against the cap.

Any goaltender would be rattled by the way our D has been playing, then there are the countless times the forwards have not been getting back to cover in the D zone either...   Then on top of that there has been an abundance of turnovers due to sloppy passes on both ends of the ice, etc...   etc...

Ramo has let in some soft ones and so has Hiller...   They have both also made some great saves as well, some on shots that shouldn't have been allowed to happen...

As Deeds has  already pointed out, throwing Ortio to the wolves with the way the team has been playing for 5 of the 6 games so far this season could easily set back his development, or worse as we've all seen happen before,  ruin a goaltender with solid potential...

My guess is Ramo will rebound from this, as he usually deals with the pressure after a bad game quite well...   He's the one that got the spanking, but Hiller deserved it just as much...   As far as Ramo's contract goes, it's a little high, but not that much over market for a goaltender that played a substantial role in getting the team as far as they went last season...   It's only a one year deal, and if it was longer then we might have more reason to be more concerned about it...   But at the time, it was the right thing for Treliving to do...   I hope that Gillies get's the majority of the starts, and if need be Ramo will be back up with the Flames...   I also think that unless Hiller really steps up, either he could be traded, or we might see him on waivers as well...

A lot of us weren't too happy with the unusual move of carrying three goaltenders, but we have to realize that they were backed into a corner due to circumstance...   Then there is the frustration for some that it seemed to take so long to get back to carrying two like normal, but when you remember how last season  was divided into seven game segments, and the Flames have only played six games so far, the time it took for the move to be made really isn't all that surprising...   The decision of which goaltender to put on waivers was no doubt difficult as they had to try and get it right...   and then it's also possible that they were trying to trade either Hiller or Ramo before risking putting one of them on waivers...

If the team starts playing better as a whole, and the number of quality scoring chances against is reduced, that will go a long way...   Let's hope it happens soon...

I haven't seen many hockey games lately, where all goalies are not letting in soft goals.

I haven't seen many hockey games lately, where all goalies are not letting in soft goals.

Exactly...   when the team as a whole is playing poorly, it can put any goaltender off his game...

Just to pick one of the goalies having a bad start to the season, two years ago Bobrovsky won the Vezina and so far this season his SV% and GAA are worse than Ramo's...

BOBROVSKY

bd994d6e70b5f99a139ba91109cbd1b8.png

RAMO

c19f71e3d1a14fdaa4508bdace5537c7.png

While we have had poor goal tending so far this season, it wouldn't matter if Price was in net until the rest of the team steps up their level of play...

Seems like Hiller got his confidence back. With Ramo sent down, Hartley must have told Hiller that he's our guy, and that it's his show now. The team in front of him also stepped up and played their best game so far.

Good way to instill confidence when as a coach you know the team is lacking it. Ramo was a move that had to be made both with his resigning and now the adjustment IMO. Obviously management think enough about all 3 goalies with the attempts to keep all of them. Hiller for me is a goalie that can give you some good periods, then ???. Ramo is now experienced enough that you shouldn't be afraid to play him because he can be brilliant. Ortio I hope turns into a steady reliable goalie, he has shown flashes of this. Patience .

Don't know if I would say HIler's confidence is "back". While he is certianly not at fault for loss last night I would call it an average game at best from him.

I'm looking forwrad to Ortio tonight. Flames really need to start getting better then avg goaltending if they are going to turn things around.

• Like 2

Don't know if I would say HIler's confidence is "back". While he is certianly not at fault for loss last night I would call it an average game at best from him.

I'm looking forwrad to Ortio tonight. Flames really need to start getting better then avg goaltending if they are going to turn things around.

I am hoping that Ortio steals the show.  I have had enough of team-deflating goals, just-ok goaltending, one-and-done wins, etc.  If Ortio is what a lot of people think he is, he will take the #1 job and never give it back.  It's about time we had better than league average tending.

I am hoping that Ortio steals the show.  I have had enough of team-deflating goals, just-ok goaltending, one-and-done wins, etc.  If Ortio is what a lot of people think he is, he will take the #1 job and never give it back.  It's about time we had better than league average tending.

Here is to hoping.

Ortio basically has to stand on his head to get a win, since he essentially can't allow more than 1 goal if the team is going to win. 

He's capable of doing it, but the guy in front of him do have to start scoring at some point. 

The lines aren't really working right now.  Frolik is a great 2-way player, but he is being "wasted" on a line with Backlund.  Backlund belongs with other good 2-way players to snuff out offense.  Guys like Jooris or Jones and Colborne work best.  Frolik has offensive flair, and really should see time with the top line (on power plays) and Bennett's line (with Grant).

Jones or Jooris playing with Stajan and Raymond gives you some speed and scoring potential.

Ortio just need to make timely saves.  We can score, as long as we aren't looking at mounting a comeback all the time.  

The lines aren't really working right now.  Frolik is a great 2-way player, but he is being "wasted" on a line with Backlund.  Backlund belongs with other good 2-way players to snuff out offense.  Guys like Jooris or Jones and Colborne work best.  Frolik has offensive flair, and really should see time with the top line (on power plays) and Bennett's line (with Grant).

Jones or Jooris playing with Stajan and Raymond gives you some speed and scoring potential.

Ortio just need to make timely saves.  We can score, as long as we aren't looking at mounting a comeback all the time.  

I agree about Frolik, he needs to be on one of the top 2 lines.  Backlund on a shut-down line would be better, even though he seems to be more dangerous offensively with Frolik.