s4xon

So we could lose him if he's having a stellar season, and up for an injury recall/sent back down after. That's too bad

If called up due to injury I'm pretty sure we can play him while the injured goalie is on IR & doing a reconditioning stint in the minors & send him down without waivers.

Teams can call up players from juniors  on emegency basis without burning a year of EL under certain conditions so logically the same would appy here.

The only trade that I can envision for Hiller would be at the trade deadline, to a play-off bound team with an injury to one of their goalies.

That or St. Louis.

Which only matters if he is brought up mid season and needs to be sent back down.

No. There is a risk of him being claimed at the beginning of the season. Even Treliving acknowledged as much during his interview on the fan today.

I think he clears waivers. But I thought Berra would have cleared waivers and Colorado gave up a second round pick to get him. You never know which teams might really like the player.

No. There is a risk of him being claimed at the beginning of the season. Even Treliving acknowledged as much during his interview on the fan today.

I think he clears waivers. But I thought Berra would have cleared waivers and Colorado gave up a second round pick to get him. You never know which teams might really like the player.

I thought there was an early waiver exempt period

There seems to be a bit of confusion about the rules.

Deeds posted that he can be sent down 12 days prior to the season start without waivers.

It's not the first time I heard that either.

The majority of people believe he will need to go through waivers to play in the AHL. Period.

I would hope the Flames have a good enough read on their goalies early enough to make that call. Hey for all we know it will be Hiller getting put into AHL if we cant trade him. BT isnt worried about the contract dollars involved this year he only cares about what is best for his goalie situation.

The "Playing Season Waiver Period" shall begin on the twelfth (12th) day prior to the

start of the Regular Season and end on the day following the last day of a Club's Playing Season.

Subject to the provisions of this Article, the rights to the services of a Player may be Loaned to a

club of another league, upon fulfillment of the following conditions, except when elsewhere

expressly prohibited...

So, that means Sept.25th is the last day to send him down.  That appears to be in the middle of pre-season.

The "Playing Season Waiver Period" shall begin on the twelfth (12th) day prior to the

start of the Regular Season and end on the day following the last day of a Club's Playing Season.

Subject to the provisions of this Article, the rights to the services of a Player may be Loaned to a

club of another league, upon fulfillment of the following conditions, except when elsewhere

expressly prohibited...

So, that means Sept.25th is the last day to send him down.  That appears to be in the middle of pre-season.

Right, with all of training camp, all of penticton and 4 of 8 preseason games complete.

The only way I dont circle that as my decision point is if there is some rule where waiver eligible players can't be assigned before that date.

Even if BT doesnt like Ortio (just for arguments sake) he has shown that he gets a return on his assets.

To be fair this season it is unlikely he would be claimed even if the Flames keep him up on the main club into the start of the season.

The glut of goaltenders this offseason has seen most of the shuffling already done. I don't see many clubs being in a position to claim Ortio when they would be required to keep him up. He has too few games  and would be gamble for the claiming club.

• Like 1

The Flames still needed Ramo as there was not an assured upgrade in net available, and there was no way that the Flames were going to let him go without at least seeing a return via a trade...   The term and dollars were appropriate and reasonable, and I am glad that they kept him...

Hiller lost the starter job at the end of the season, but he will still be given the opportunity to step up and claim it as will Ramo, unless Ortio can prove that he can claim the job first...    If that does not happen, we can expect to see a 1a 1b situation in net again., and then depending on how things play out for the Flames. there is still a good chance that Hiller could become trade bait at some point prior to the trade deadline if another team has a goaltender injured and he can fill a need..

MacDonald is too young this year to join the Heat, if that is what you were thinking.

Eh what?

I'm surprised the Flames never took a goalie in this draft.  The goalie prospect pool is looking a little light these days.

I sure hope next draft they take one in the third or 4th round.  Maybe with the conditional 4th we acquired from NSH for Max Power.

He is trying to say you need to be 20 years old to play in the AHL (with rare exception). MacDonald just turned 19.

*If that was what you were thinking...

again I say....."Eh what?"

I wasnt thinking.... 

I was just happy with how well those two were developing.   Maybe I forgot a comma,  or some sort of punctuation somewhere to separate the two subject matters. 

Eh..... Whatevs.   ;) 

The trade Hiller stuff gets a little long in the tooth. He played very well for us last season and kept us in games as you need your goalie to do.

I wonder what Hiller has to do, or if a lot of people just don't like him?

I realize he's ufa next year, but I don't think that's reason to throw him under the bus. If he plays as well as last year, do we throw caution to the wind and expect Ortio/Gillies to just slide right in?

There is a possibility it would be a setback. A setback in net would be devastating.

I hate seeing the "Anaheim series" used as the excuse and wash everything before that away. Anaheim, as a team, was better than us, that's why we lost. We weren't supposed to even be there, does Hiller get any credit for that??

He's been a solid signing for us, stability in net goes a long way.

The trade Hiller stuff gets a little long in the tooth. He played very well for us last season and kept us in games as you need your goalie to do.

I wonder what Hiller has to do, or if a lot of people just don't like him?

I realize he's ufa next year, but I don't think that's reason to throw him under the bus. If he plays as well as last year, do we throw caution to the wind and expect Ortio/Gillies to just slide right in?

There is a possibility it would be a setback. A setback in net would be devastating.

I hate seeing the "Anaheim series" used as the excuse and wash everything before that away. Anaheim, as a team, was better than us, that's why we lost. We weren't supposed to even be there, does Hiller get any credit for that??

He's been a solid signing for us, stability in net goes a long way.

The Flames received average goal tending last season. Sure both Ramo and Hiller when on runs, but every NHL goalie did. So did Ortio to start his call up.

When you look at the entire season our tending was just okay. We give a lot of credit to the goalies, but really it was our scoring that got us into the playoffs.

Hiller isn't going to progress from okay. He is what he is. I would rather stick with a goalie that could develop into our next starter.

The Flames received average goal tending last season. Sure both Ramo and Hiller when on runs, but every NHL goalie did. So did Ortio to start his call up.

When you look at the entire season our tending was just okay. We give a lot of credit to the goalies, but really it was our scoring that got us into the playoffs.

Hiller isn't going to progress from okay. He is what he is. I would rather stick with a goalie that could develop into our next starter.

Ortio?

I seen the other day that Sean Burke left Arizona, if he is available he would be the guy to get Ramo to the next level. Ramo has the athletic ability to be a very good goalie, he just too aggressive in his play leading him to be out of position too often. That is the biggest reason I am more nervous when he is net compared to Hiller.

Ortio?

I seen the other day that Sean Burke left Arizona, if he is available he would be the guy to get Ramo to the next level. Ramo has the athletic ability to be a very good goalie, he just too aggressive in his play leading him to be out of position too often. That is the biggest reason I am more nervous when he is net compared to Hiller.

What makes Ramo good is that athleticism.  He needs to put some stickum on his pants, though, as he slides way out of the crease.

He is a good 1st and 2nd shot goalie, but you need to clear the puck or the player.  He was getting run too much and had players hacking away at the puck in the crease.

What makes Hiller good is the calmness that he brings.  He stops 95% of the pucks that are shot, but tends to get beat when he is deep.  He moves too little.  You can beat Hiller in close, up high.

Orti is a little of both.  I was a little worried at how he looked in game 82.  He was the same in Addy in the first month.  Wonder if he smokes in between practices like Kippper did?  :)

Hiller was PO'd the end of the season, when he lost the net to Ramo.  The friendly rivalry was gone, as if Hiller figured he was getting the Anaheim treatment.  I am fine keeping whoever is the best two at TC, but also believe that Hiller or Ramo is the best option to waive.  Moreso Hiller.  Unless a team lost a goalie in pre-season, I doubt Hiller would ever get claimed.  Teams are trying to fit their rosters under the cap, and might have to waive/trade another player if they wanted to claim Hiller.  BT would be aware of the roster situations, so he would likely keep three goalies if he was worried about losing one to the waiver wire.