s4xon

I'm not comfortable with Hiller or Ramo as the Flames #1A goalie.

However, I feel they work very well as tandem 1Bs and would like them both back for 2015/2016.

I would resign Ramo for 3 years at $3.75M/year or 2 years at $4M/year.

I'd gamble that Orito will clear waivers at the start of next season as most teams have their pairings set by then.

Hiller would be on the final year of his deal and could be trade deadline bait.

Ramo and Orito for 2016/2017.

I'm not comfortable with Hiller or Ramo as the Flames #1A goalie.

However, I feel they work very well as tandem 1Bs and would like them both back for 2015/2016.

I would resign Ramo for 3 years at $3.75M/year or 2 years at $4M/year.

I'd gamble that Orito will clear waivers at the start of next season as most teams have their pairings set by then.

Hiller would be on the final year of his deal and could be trade deadline bait.

Ramo and Orito for 2016/2017.

I think Ramo is fine in the 40 game range. If we resigned him and went with Hiller/Ramo, we would be one injury away from a problem. Ortio would be the natural choice to bring up, but we would have to keep him up.

A goalie on waivers anytime after the start of the season would be easy pickings. I am also not 100% convinced Ortio would clear in October, but we may have to take that chance.

If we chose not to re-sign Ramo and go with Hiller/Ortio, I think we are risking regression from this year. Hiller is also on the final year of his contract. We may lose him to UFA at the end of 2015/16.

I thought we won in spite of Ramo last night. The two goals that he let in fall squarely on his shoulders. He was way out of position on the Tanguay goal, which should have been an easy save. He wasn't square to the shooter on the Landeskog goal which also should have been an easy save.

I think Ramo has the ability to be a top goalie in this league but he has to quiet his game down. He moves too much in the net for my liking.

He had no support on the two goals against and he made the tough and timely saves that let us win the game. There were a lot of issues last night. Goal tending wasn't one of them.

I think Ramo has the ability to be a top goalie in this league but he has to quiet his game down. He moves too much in the net for my liking.

This is his biggest issue... caught out of position which either leads to a goal or a "spectacular" save which could have been a regular. 

The facts are without goal tending in the pass few games we lose. Being critical of how he moves the puck has been stopped. I think our goalies have given us the ability to come back in games. Last nights games was 5-0 if not for Ramo, that has been the case for most of the games we play.

Despite where we are in the standings, we have to keep perspective here. We are a average hockey club that relies on certain individuals to rise at specific times. Most often it is the goalies. We haven't played to many games where our goalies night was easy. I shudder to think what this season would be if not for the goal tending.

• Like 2

The facts are without goal tending in the pass few games we lose. Being critical of how he moves the puck has been stopped. I think our goalies have given us the ability to come back in games. Last nights games was 5-0 if not for Ramo, that has been the case for most of the games we play.

Despite where we are in the standings, we have to keep perspective here. We are a average hockey club that relies on certain individuals to rise at specific times. Most often it is the goalies. We haven't played to many games where our goalies night was easy. I shudder to think what this season would be if not for the goal tending.

We would definitely be one of the front runners for the 1st overall in this year's draft.

Our goaltending, although it hasn't been elite, its been good enough to win us games when we shouldn't have been in it to begin with. Personally I feel Ramo is the better of the two goalies going forward even though Hiller has had some big games. Myself I'm not so sure Ortio clears waivers next year so I would go with Ramo and Ortio next season personally.

We would definitely be one of the front runners for the 1st overall in this year's draft.

Our goaltending, although it hasn't been elite, its been good enough to win us games when we shouldn't have been in it to begin with. Personally I feel Ramo is the better of the two goalies going forward even though Hiller has had some big games. Myself I'm not so sure Ortio clears waivers next year so I would go with Ramo and Ortio next season personally.

Agreed that we aren't elite in net. We are around league average. There have been games where Ramo and Hiller kept us around long enough to mount a comeback. There have also been games where goaltending has been the reason for the loss. Those games were, to a certain extent, also the result of inadequate defense; too much chasing, not effective first pass, or giving up the blue-line.

As much as Hiller was a steadying force, I think we can move beyond him and give the reins to Ramo and Ortio. I'm not 100% sold on Ortio, but capable backups are a lot easier to find than a Ramo. I would be in favour of trading Hiller if he brings back a decent return.

Barely on topic... How on Earth did the Stars' goalie (Enroth) not get a diving penalty? That was embarrassing.

Ferland stuck his foot out, so I think the refs just let it go rather than make a soft call both ways. Enroth for sure embellished but Ferland did trip him.

Ferland stuck his foot out, so I think the refs just let it go rather than make a soft call both ways. Enroth for sure embellished but Ferland did trip him.

The point this year was to penalize and fine diving.  Whether they thought Ferland had any fault or it, it doesn't matter.  Call the diving and get those (Canuck) plays out of the game.

The next two choices for nets are going to be huge decisions; Ramo is very good on the road, but Hiller has been good enough recently to get another start.  Tough call.  I think I would go with Ramo against STL and Hiller against EDM.

The point this year was to penalize and fine diving. Whether they thought Ferland had any fault or it, it doesn't matter. Call the diving and get those (Canuck) plays out of the game.

The next two choices for nets are going to be huge decisions; Ramo is very good on the road, but Hiller has been good enough recently to get another start. Tough call. I think I would go with Ramo against STL and Hiller against EDM.

Goes both ways. IMO Ferland was just as cheap and shouldn't be in the game either. I think a non call is better then off setting penalties.

Ramo hurt. Macdonald hurt. Ortio hurt. Tough season for Calgary tenders.

Looks like Adirondack is going to have to make due with Doug Carr and recently signed college free agent Clay Witt. I am assuming that Brad Thiessen, the only goalie left that is under contract with Calgary, will be called up.

Looks like Adirondack is going to have to make due with Doug Carr and recently signed college free agent Clay Witt. I am assuming that Brad Thiessen, the only goalie left that is under contract with Calgary, will be called up.

I thought the Flames had used up all of their call ups? Or does an injury negate that?

I thought the Flames had used up all of their call ups? Or does an injury negate that?

This would classify as an emergency situation. The league won't let you play without just one goalie.

I think that if team has so many injuries that they would have to play short players, the league will allow an emergency callup.

This would classify as an emergency situation. The league won't let you play without just one goalie.

I think that if team has so many injuries that they would have to play short players, the league will allow an emergency callup.

Correct. Call ups due to injury are allowed.

The only other thing I could think of is to sign a FA goaltender (like Bryz was signed etc.). If that's the case... you think we could persuade Kipper to come help us? I mean, it'd just be 4 games, he can't be that out of shape with only a year off, we know him, and he'd be the backup. Wouldn't that be fun to have Kipper back?

N-O to Kipper. All it would be is a distraction we don't need. Whoever we sign is being signed to sit the bench. Usually only one guy gets the playoff starts anyway and we only have 3 games left in the regular season.

I agree, no Kipper, lol.  I disagree that we should sign someone to sit on the bench. Although free agent rules are not my forte, so there may be no other choice.

imho, this is not just a case of bad luck.  We still need one more solid goaltending prospect.

If we do sign someone, I hope we use this "emergency" as an excuse to increase our goaltending prospect depth.  It is the one position where this can be easily accomplished through free agency, due to the voodoo that is goaltending prospects.

An example:  Sign a free agent like 19-year-old Alexander Georgiyev.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=262640

The best-kept secret in Finland, by far.  At 19 years of age, he is currently performing at at a level that Ortio didn't reach until he was 21.  

And there's more.  Georgiyev is playing on the worst team in Finland.   Yet still putting up numbers that demonstrate him to be the best prospect playing in that country right now.

Expect him to emerge as the best goaltender in Finland, as early as next year, and expect him to end up in North America shortly thereafter.

This is the kind of bench-warmer I would like to see the Flames pick up.

• Like 1