Brian Burke Fired

Igster

He should've been fired for the Kessel deal a long time ago. But, why fire your GM a week before the season begins??

What's this rumour with Lou?

I agree and that was what Bob McKenzie asked too. Why now and not months ago. If the new owners want to play GM then TO is in deeper bull crap than we know. The teachers union at least tried to keep their fingers out of most things.

I agree and that was what Bob McKenzie asked too. Why now and not months ago. If the new owners want to play GM then TO is in deeper bull crap than we know. The teachers union at least tried to keep their fingers out of most things.

My guess is that they didn't want to fire during negotiations because that may appear that the owners house is in disarray of some sort.

Basically he can thank the NHLPA that he got to draw some extra salary.

Doesn't make sense scout. Lockout began in September. If the Leafs didn't think he was the guy to go forward with, then they should've fired him pre-lockout as in like July or August.

He did your draft. He did your off-season signings. Then he's gone before the season begins?

True but it could be those actions that made them want to overlook his employment. My guess is they weren't buying his vision of what he wanted to build the team as.

They had a long time to think about where he was headed and what he was doing. If they had second thoughts during the lockout there is no way they would be able to pull that trigger until it was ratified.

That's my take on it at any rate. The other option is that they are just plain crazy.

Either way I find it quite funny from my end.

TSN Toronto Sports Network has been on about it all day. The "rumors" they have heard are that his style is not compatible with the new owners. Whatever that means.

Dave Hodge was on OTR and said he knew about this long ago and was sitting on the story and that his source had told him months ago that BB would never GM another TO game. I used to have a lot of respect for Dave Hodge and his hockey opinions but after his personal bias problems who knows.

Another odd thing is just a night or two ago BB and a group of the new ownership group were all at a Marlies hockey game together. I can only imagine what was said/not said a that little get together.

True but it could be those actions that made them want to overlook his employment.

That's a fair statement but it still doesn't make sense because you got to watch the new team play a game before you can access his moves fairly and accurately. What if the Leafs come out of the gate 10-0-0? It would mean all Burke's moves were justified.

Doesn't make sense scout. Lockout began in September. If the Leafs didn't think he was the guy to go forward with, then they should've fired him pre-lockout as in like July or August.

He did your draft. He did your off-season signings. Then he's gone before the season begins?

New ownership only took control 2 weeks before the lockout. Apparently they have had internal meetings since and this was a long thought out process. I personally dont see all the hype around Burke.

The writing is on the wall for Burke. Even the NYI know to get a Nabakov. He has unending gambles in net throughout his tenure. Imagine that Burke, goaltending is an important factor.

Splash signings were Phaneuf and Kessel, no beef with Kessel, a top sniper, even if he did cost Seguin and Dougie Hamilton to an already top team.

Phaneuf and Komisarek, oops.

The entire lineup is a hodgepodge. But you combine slow D and shaky goaltending, you don't give yourself a chance.

He does himself no favours by standing on his soapbox too often, telling us what's worth what, while his team fails relentlessly.

I'm assuming that's why he's fired, all niceties aside. The Leafs are a mess.

His mess.

I'll take a stab at explaining it.

1) business side: the maple leafs are now owned by bell and Rogers. Bell and Rogers run tsn and sportsnet. Burke isn't friendly with the media. The media is rogers and bell's business. Essentially it would be a conflict of interest for any employer to pay an employee (who represents your brand) to disrespect your brand. Follow?

2) timing: the lockout threatens to have damaged the relationship between the NHL and its fans. What better way to pique the interest of leaf nation than a little controversy right before the season begins? What better way for rogers and bell to measure the interest of leaf fans than through trending hash tags, website hits, tv viewership, and radio listenership all about Burke?

All those leaf fans who turned their backs on the NHL because of the lockout are now all over this Burke news, and Luongo trades, and talking hockey. I know, because I live in Toronto and work with these same people... The vortex that is MLSE just swallowed leaf nation whole with one move.

1) business side: the maple leafs are now owned by bell and Rogers. Bell and Rogers run tsn and sportsnet. Burke isn't friendly with the media. The media is rogers and bell's business. Essentially it would be a conflict of interest for any employer to pay an employee (who represents your brand) to disrespect your brand. Follow?

2) timing: the lockout threatens to have damaged the relationship between the NHL and its fans. What better way to pique the interest of leaf nation than a little controversy right before the season begins? What better way for rogers and bell to measure the interest of leaf fans than through trending hash tags, website hits, tv viewership, and radio listenership all about Burke?

All those leaf fans who turned their backs on the NHL because of the lockout are now all over this Burke news, and Luongo trades, and talking hockey. I know, because I live in Toronto and work with these same people... The vortex that is MLSE just swallowed leaf nation whole with one move.

Lol.....very amusing read +1. I agree with a lot of what you said

I guess we will all know more when we see what the Leafs do in the week before the first puck drops...

If they try and pick up Lou, then that might have been a major factor with Burke getting fired...

Either way, I would not doubt if his demeanor, personality, projected image and reputation did in fact come into play with his new bosses... But then once again that brings the timing into question...

So I would also then have to think that the new board has a different opinion of the direction they think the Leafs should be taking than what Burke has expressed to them more recently, to me that is the only thing that would make sense with the timing... I do not think that Nonis was the best choice to go with an entirely different philosophy than Burke, but with only days to get ready for the shortened season, their options were very limited and at least he has familiarity with the team... If he does not deliver this season, I would be surprised if he was not the next one to be shown the door...

I would hate to think that the Leafs have degraded to the point where they need to make GM changes to get popularity hits and hash tags. They are in big trouble if the media is going to take that type of control over a hockey team.

I fall into the category that thinks that BB pissed someone or more than one person off at a meeting or two with the new board of directors. I can see where his personality and demeanor would raise some "politcally correct media flags" and it just took a few months for the board to totally support his dismissal.

I would hate to think that the Leafs have degraded to the point where they need to make GM changes to get popularity hits and hash tags. They are in big trouble if the media is going to take that type of control over a hockey team.

I fall into the category that thinks that BB pissed someone or more than one person off at a meeting or two with the new board of directors. I can see where his personality and demeanor would raise some "politcally correct media flags" and it just took a few months for the board to totally support his dismissal.

SHUT up !!!!!!

Toronto needs a player like Lu

:rolleyes:

Archived