Cammalleri At Center

conundrumed

It is one thing to have a replacement in mind, and an entirely different thing to have a replacement secured...

A better way of putting it is no GM in his right mind lets his best center walk without having a proper replacement already in place...

I hope Jay does have a trick or two up his sleeve, because otherwise if this little experiment of his backfires, this could go down as Feasters biggest boneheaded move so far in his tenure with the team...

Totally agree with this. I really hope there's another deal in the works or like you said this could be his biggest mistake thus far. I'm still hoping we can land that number 1C but the pickings are slim and our movable assets even slimmer.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Totally agree with this. I really hope there's another deal in the works or like you said this could be his biggest mistake thus far. I'm still hoping we can land that number 1C but the pickings are slim and our movable assets even slimmer.

We could just trade to get jokinen back

We could just trade to get jokinen back

Considering we just let him go for nothing, I'd assume Flames management plans on moving on. Why would we waste assets in a trade for him now when we coulda just resigned him for nothing more than cap space and cash? Obviously he wasn't part of our plan moving forward and making a trade for him now would make Feaster look like an idiot.

Not that the rest of the NHL doesn't already think he is, but I mean....they'd believe it even more than they do now. No offense Jay.

Considering we just let him go for nothing, I'd assume Flames management plans on moving on. Why would we waste assets in a trade for him now when we coulda just resigned him for nothing more than cap space and cash? Obviously he wasn't part of our plan moving forward and making a trade for him now would make Feaster look like an idiot.

TN seems pretty high on Joker. It means the Jets don't have to use Little (5'11, 185) as 1st line center & can slip 20 yr. old Burmistrov down to a more sheltered learning position.

I have to wonder how much dialog Feaster had with Joker & his agent because he snapped up the Wpg. offer pretty fast. All signs pointed to him preferring to stay in Calgary

I see it as a mistake but I don't make the big $s to generally manage a NHL team. (Maybe Joker has BO that made players eyes water before they hit the ice? :lol: )

It is one thing to have a replacement in mind, and an entirely different thing to have a replacement secured...

A better way of putting it is no GM in his right mind lets his best center walk without having a proper replacement already in place...

I hope Jay does have a trick or two up his sleeve, because otherwise if this little experiment of his backfires, this could go down as Feasters biggest boneheaded move so far in his tenure with the team...

If this is his biggest boneheaded move while here, I can live with that. (Dutter's Phaneuf trade still leaves a sour taste in my mouth)

I, for one, don't think that there will be anymore major moves come the beginning of the season. Of course, I'd prefer finding our elusive 1c as much as the next guy, but I just don't see it happening. At least, not by leaving a hole elsewhere on our roster. Sure, there's alot of 'high risk' gambles with this current roster, but if any of them pay off, then it's a win for us. And if not? Well, we get a higher pick come Draft Day.

I'm certainly okay with this roster, and I'm excited to see how well Cammy does as our projected 1C. The guy is a workhorse, proud, and won't be content unless he's doing the best that he can do. I mean, who knows? With all the chatter about the new F/O rules that are coming out, he could very well thrive on playing centre again. As could Backlund and Stajan.

Having Hartley's work ethic under these guys will pay dividends as well, and I'm sure that winning F/O's is going to be high on his priority list. What were we last season, 46%? Give or take?

Dead last, as far as I know. I don't think that that's going to be acceptable to our new coaching staff.

Yup...

I like my glass half full.

I have to wonder how much dialog Feaster had with Joker & his agent because he snapped up the Wpg. offer pretty fast. All signs pointed to him preferring to stay in Calgary

I tend to agree. I doubt Calgary offered anything like a 2-year deal for $9m. Even though he had a great season, he wasn't in the long term plans for that kind of money. I'm guessing that Olli thought he would get a big payday in FA, and the teams only remembered his lacklustre playoff run or his injury.

As much as I like Olli as a player, I think his best days may be behind him. He's not that old, but his offensive game changed to fit Butter's system, so he may have a hard time adapting to the Jet's style.

Cammi, on the other hand, will work his butt off this summer to be ready for the challenge. His hand/eye coordination will help him in the FO area, and the rule change will even the odds a bit. IMHO, of course. -_-

I tend to agree. I doubt Calgary offered anything like a 2-year deal for $9m. Even though he had a great season, he wasn't in the long term plans for that kind of money. I'm guessing that Olli thought he would get a big payday in FA, and the teams only remembered his lacklustre playoff run or his injury.

As much as I like Olli as a player, I think his best days may be behind him. He's not that old, but his offensive game changed to fit Butter's system, so he may have a hard time adapting to the Jet's style.

Cammi, on the other hand, will work his butt off this summer to be ready for the challenge. His hand/eye coordination will help him in the FO area, and the rule change will even the odds a bit. IMHO, of course. -_-

I really hope Joker works well in my home city & that Cammy can adapt well the the change of position.

I give the Joker deal higher odds though.

While I dont consider Cervenka a true C, he does find some similarities in usage to some of the Sharks players that swap into the C and W positions. Guys like Marleau, Pavelski, Couture. Could be that Cervenka doesnt play C 100% of the time or even 75% of the time, but as long as he does well while he is there like he did in a similar fashion in the KHL.

When we got Cervenka signed, all of the media outlets and Feaster himself announced he's a center.

Then we get a couple of hockey fans from Omsk come here to congratulate us and express their love for him, only to say, "woah you guys, he's a LW".

Call me jaded, but I believe them.

So that's a deep concern, I'm not saying it won't work, but the optics are pretty sketchy on Feaster's part, imo. Telling us what we want to hear.

With considering the Sharks as a comparison, you have to add the KHL factor. Fabian Brunnstrom hardly evolved into Logan Couture or Joe Pavelski.

Hudler was in Babcock's doghouse frequently since returning from the K.

His NHL career has been a winger, not a center.

And as far as the Wings are concerned, a 3rd line one.

$4mil isn't steep for a 2nd line winger.

Ken Holland has watched him for 5+ years, and doesn't see the need to prioritize signing him.

Giant alarms.

I'll just convince myself the Wings had no room for him, because they obviously don't see him for what the Flames gave him...

This isn't aimed at you, but is anyone else getting tired of the "glass half empty/full" stuff.

How about a simple "I'm confident it can work because" stuff.

But it's a great way to cop out a holier-than-thou approach and negate discussions about troublesome stuff, regardless of what troubles you about the team.

"That's because I'm a better fan than you" is how it comes across, and I'm sure that style went out in about Grade 7.

Actually, yeah, it really does remain to be seen.

I'm pretty sure you're being a drama queen.

Come what may, let it come before passing judgement, seems logical to me.

It's a concern, leave it at that for now.

It remains to be seen...

Gio, it was you that told me that I post in prose, right?

Or this schlok is backfiring bigtime!!

Ken Holland has watched him for 5+ years, and doesn't see the need to prioritize signing him.

Giant alarms.

I'll just convince myself the Wings had no room for him, because they obviously don't see him for what the Flames gave him...

Hudler was 5th in TOI among forwards and 4th in even strength TOI.

He played most of the season with Fillpula and Zetterberg on the 2nd line.

As for Holland not wanting to sign him, he did, but didn't want to pay $4m (general view is Detroit was offering him around $3m).

Holland has also shown interest in Bouwmeester, despite some fans around here thinking he is the worst player in hockey.

(just a side note there)

When we got Cervenka signed, all of the media outlets and Feaster himself announced he's a center.

Then we get a couple of hockey fans from Omsk come here to congratulate us and express their love for him, only to say, "woah you guys, he's a LW".

Call me jaded, but I believe them.

So that's a deep concern, I'm not saying it won't work, but the optics are pretty sketchy on Feaster's part, imo. Telling us what we want to hear.

With considering the Sharks as a comparison, you have to add the KHL factor. Fabian Brunnstrom hardly evolved into Logan Couture or Joe Pavelski.

Giant alarms.

This isn't aimed at you, but is anyone else getting tired of the "glass half empty/full" stuff.

How about a simple "I'm confident it can work because" stuff.

But it's a great way to cop out a holier-than-thou approach and negate discussions about troublesome stuff, regardless of what troubles you about the team.

"That's because I'm a better fan than you" is how it comes across, and I'm sure that style went out in about Grade 7.

You've got a point. It is better to give an opinion with the appropriate supporting statements, however considering how circular this argument has become and despite we all can give educated guesses, not as single one us(nor Feaster) can KNOW how this is going to turn out and how we go into the next season from players to fans to organization can go into it with a positive perspective depending on how you WANT to look at it. You can either be all doom and gloom, predict last place. Or you can hope for the best and find cause to be optimistic. I'm even sure there is somewhere in the middle but I am certain that none of us can do anything but speculate, offer suggestions and I for one, choose to hope for the best and see the possible positives. They may just know what they are doing, after all they have won a cup in the last decade of hockey.

You have every reason to be concerned, if it fails, it's gonna suck. But at least they tried, and are making SUBSTANTIAL changes. And may not be done. Not every move is going to be golden, and agree with them or not, my stance is, why not see how it plays out before condemning the season to certain doom. Here is why...

Face off rule changes- they are favoring skill and hand eye coordination which Stajan, Backlund, Cammaleri and cervenka all are exceptional at even if they lack in size. REALISTICALLY there is just as good of a chance they could trice as fail. I actually may have a wager that our FO% improves this year over last.

Heartley/Gelinas - they were brought on to bring out the skill and best out of each individual player and utilize their strengths, and make them better at what they are weak at instead of masking weakness by blanketing the whole teams faults. They have huge emphasis on heart, effort, and conditioning which is what this team was lacking. The new system is unlike any one system we have seen in many many years, and considering the makeup of our team, it seems to be a far better fit than the old systems. And I'd like to point out that while everyone assumes an offense first mentality opens up the team to defensive failings, of you look at heartleys methods and prior teams, this isnt the case. He is more of a high tempo team with a balanced approach. We Have the pieces in place to be successful in that system.

Cervenka- Heartley coached overseas and I'm certain I familiar with exactly how to bring out the best in this player, plus with a vet in Hudler brought over to help ease his transition he has a lot more going for him than many other KHL alumni to make the transition.

Baertchi- he is exciting, dynamic smart and young. Apprenticing under Cammy and Iggy and Glencross has the potential to help him become a Star!

New faces in general- with all the new faces and change that took place this is forcing the team to start fresh ALL on the same page. plus with the youth, energy and conditioning we may just have the extra spark to lead us to a better start to the season.

Yes there are a lot of unknowns. But if this is what we have to work with, what the harm in being optimistic and give it a chance?

"If you think you can, you may succeed. If you think you cant, you are already beaten"

And for what it's worth I hope Feaster has a move or two in the works, but if he doesn't... I'll be watching every game anyway, cheering on our team.

Hudler was 5th in TOI among forwards and 4th in even strength TOI.

He played most of the season with Fillpula and Zetterberg on the 2nd line.

As for Holland not wanting to sign him, he did, but didn't want to pay $4m (general view is Detroit was offering him around $3m).

Holland has also shown interest in Bouwmeester, despite some fans around here thinking he is the worst player in hockey.

(just a side note there)

Good point about Hudler. I am fairly excited to see how he fits in here.

I'm not sure about being the worst player in hockey, more like a player who doesn't fill the role we need him to, and a change of scenery would benefit both club and him. He was a skating, pick moving, offensive minded defenseman who was forced to play positional defense first/only hockey under Sutter and who knows how much it affected his play and confidence. It's pretty hard to shake that kind of history in a player.

We need an impact, physical defenseman. He doesn't fit. Redwings, StLouis a couple others may have need for him, but he isn't their first choice either.

I do hope if he stays, he finds his game, becomes an impact player again. If not, I wish him well!

You've got a point. It is better to give an opinion with the appropriate supporting statements, however considering how circular this argument has become and despite we all can give educated guesses, not as single one us(nor Feaster) can KNOW how this is going to turn out and how we go into the next season from players to fans to organization can go into it with a positive perspective depending on how you WANT to look at it. You can either be all doom and gloom, predict last place. Or you can hope for the best and find cause to be optimistic. I'm even sure there is somewhere in the middle but I am certain that none of us can do anything but speculate, offer suggestions and I for one, choose to hope for the best and see the possible positives. They may just know what they are doing, after all they have won a cup in the last decade of hockey.

You have every reason to be concerned, if it fails, it's gonna suck. But at least they tried, and are making SUBSTANTIAL changes. And may not be done. Not every move is going to be golden, and agree with them or not, my stance is, why not see how it plays out before condemning the season to certain doom. Here is why...

Face off rule changes- they are favoring skill and hand eye coordination which Stajan, Backlund, Cammaleri and cervenka all are exceptional at even if they lack in size. REALISTICALLY there is just as good of a chance they could trice as fail. I actually may have a wager that our FO% improves this year over last.

Heartley/Gelinas - they were brought on to bring out the skill and best out of each individual player and utilize their strengths, and make them better at what they are weak at instead of masking weakness by blanketing the whole teams faults. They have huge emphasis on heart, effort, and conditioning which is what this team was lacking. The new system is unlike any one system we have seen in many many years, and considering the makeup of our team, it seems to be a far better fit than the old systems. And I'd like to point out that while everyone assumes an offense first mentality opens up the team to defensive failings, of you look at heartleys methods and prior teams, this isnt the case. He is more of a high tempo team with a balanced approach. We Have the pieces in place to be successful in that system.

Cervenka- Heartley coached overseas and I'm certain I familiar with exactly how to bring out the best in this player, plus with a vet in Hudler brought over to help ease his transition he has a lot more going for him than many other KHL alumni to make the transition.

Baertchi- he is exciting, dynamic smart and young. Apprenticing under Cammy and Iggy and Glencross has the potential to help him become a Star!

New faces in general- with all the new faces and change that took place this is forcing the team to start fresh ALL on the same page. plus with the youth, energy and conditioning we may just have the extra spark to lead us to a better start to the season.

Yes there are a lot of unknowns. But if this is what we have to work with, what the harm in being optimistic and give it a chance?

"If you think you can, you may succeed. If you think you cant, you are already beaten"

And for what it's worth I hope Feaster has a move or two in the works, but if he doesn't... I'll be watching every game anyway, cheering on our team.

Well said my friend, I could feel the passion as I read this post lol.

Its easy to pick apart a team after missing the playoffs for the last 3 years but Im with you... No one knows until the puck drops and Dang nab-bit I cant wait till it does!

I'm not sure about being the worst player in hockey, more like a player who doesn't fill the role we need him to, and a change of scenery would benefit both club and him. He was a skating, pick moving, offensive minded defenseman who was forced to play positional defense first/only hockey under Sutter and who knows how much it affected his play and confidence. It's pretty hard to shake that kind of history in a player.

ok you had me until here!

Im sorry but Jay is the best Dman on the team and the arrival of Wideman means we can all lay off Jbow a bit for is offensive short comings.

Well said my friend, I could feel the passion as I read this post lol.

Its easy to pick apart a team after missing the playoffs for the last 3 years but Im with you... No one knows until the puck drops and Dang nab-bit I cant wait till it does!

Thank you. That passion may be one the reasons my hockey career went as far as it dd then ended as abruptly

(just a side note there)

Any info on this? I would love to see something unexptected happen.

Those that think Bouw is the worst player in hockey are wrong...it's Butler. Kidding aside, I believe its the low amount of offensive output he has had in Calgary vs his past scorecard in the Sunshine State, and the amount of money he earns for it that has the Bouw haters seeking a trade.

If he is traded, it would be interesting to see the return. I would like to see how he reacts to Hartley's new system myself.

Any info on this? I would love to see something unexptected happen.

Those that think Bouw is the worst player in hockey are wrong...it's Butler. Kidding aside, I believe its the low amount of offensive output he has had in Calgary vs his past scorecard in the Sunshine State, and the amount of money he earns for it that has the Bouw haters seeking a trade.

If he is traded, it would be interesting to see the return. I would like to see how he reacts to Hartley's new system myself.

Jay is being used as a defensive dman so people hate on him because hes not putting up offensive numbers... Kinda silly... He could thrive in the new system so id prefer to hold on to him and see how things go

Jay is being used as a defensive dman so people hate on him because hes not putting up offensive numbers... Kinda silly... He could thrive in the new system so id prefer to hold on to him and see how things go

I'm torn on whether I'd like JBo traded.

I get POed when people judge him on stats vs. cap hit because I value his play. I hate to think how much worse the D would be without him.

OTOH, he'd look dang good in O & B & be appreciated. :)

*I have noticed more Flames fans becoming pro JBo (or @ least not anti) this off season though. I'm taking that as a good omen.*

if he doesn't have 5 goals by december he will be back on everyones chopping block.

Thats sad...

I feel for jay... Hes an offensive first guy he comes here then has to eat the toughest minutes because nobody else can... Then we want to bail on him cause he isnt scoring... As far as defenseman goes he is one of the most well rounded on the team if not the most... Hes been put in a sitaution where he cant do right by most fans...

Maybe its best for both parties that we part but i dont know how he would be immediately be replaced...

I know dallas Detroit and st louis would jump at the chance to get him...

Being that i live in texas i wouldnt mind seeing him come down to Dallas but i dont think they have the center to offer unless there is interest in wandell and glennie... Not bad prospects but not great ones...

St louis has the best fitting players to offer up though

Brent Sutter made JBo a good two way defender. Sure he's not physical, but I've said this many times. He is fast, has a good hockey sense and a great stick. I think he'll do better. I've bashed JBO once or twice, but usually I'm defending him.

Everyone bashes a player when they play a crappy game.

Thats sad...

I feel for jay... Hes an offensive first guy he comes here then has to eat the toughest minutes because nobody else can... Then we want to bail on him cause he isnt scoring... As far as defenseman goes he is one of the most well rounded on the team if not the most... Hes been put in a sitaution where he cant do right by most fans...

Maybe its best for both parties that we part but i dont know how he would be immediately be replaced...

I know dallas Detroit and st louis would jump at the chance to get him...

Being that i live in texas i wouldnt mind seeing him come down to Dallas but i dont think they have the center to offer unless there is interest in wandell and glennie... Not bad prospects but not great ones...

St louis has the best fitting players to offer up though

True. And if I am hoping for any scenario I keep hoping blues and flames can work something out.

True. And if I am hoping for any scenario I keep hoping blues and flames can work something out.

Bringing us back to the main track...what would the Blues have to offer as far as down the Center? I don't know much about the team or who they have. I know about Arnott, but he's getting old. I would love Oshie, but I don't think there is any way the Blues will let him go.

Bringing us back to the main track...what would the Blues have to offer as far as down the Center? I don't know much about the team or who they have. I know about Arnott, but he's getting old. I would love Oshie, but I don't think there is any way the Blues will let him go.

Berglund... He is apparently available and if i recall correctly he is decent on the dot...

Hes not a spectacular center but hes a solid second line center whom can play up or down the lineup...

And hes young and seems to consistently get better each year(from what i watch)

Considering we wont get a spectacular number 1 center i think a solid number 2 guy who is still improving would be the best thing we could ask for at this point...

Berglund... He is apparently available and if i recall correctly he is decent on the dot...

Hes not a spectacular center but hes a solid second line center whom can play up or down the lineup...

And hes young and seems to consistently get better each year(from what i watch)

Considering we wont get a spectacular number 1 center i think a solid number 2 guy who is still improving would be the best thing we could ask for at this point...

Ennis is an RFA with Buffalo. I don't see much of a trade between the clubs, but he's a youngster I would invest in. He's had 2 pretty solid seasons with Buffalo.

Ryan O'Reilly from the Avs, another RFA. Solid numbers, a little younger, and much bigger. 205 lbs

Archived