Rank Our Prospects

I disagree Cross. Dowling impressed everyone down in Abbotsford and was extremely effective. He just seemingly developed chemistry quickly with anyone he played with. To do that on a team that had been together the entire year, and in an intense playoff battle at the end of the season, just goes to show how good he sees the ice.

He was not overly impressive at camp, but he was probrobly the best puckhandler out there. And has proven more offensively at the AHL level then and of the 4 players you listed. Then add to that that it's quite possible that Horak and Byron(If he's not in the NHL) may convert to the wing, he looks like a pretty solid option behind Wahl.(Who still has alot to prove himself.)

Edit: Just remembered about the Ben Walter signing. So with him your center AHL depth chart looks something like this:

Walter

Wahl

Dowling

Patterson

I think that looks good personally.

ps. I seem to remember him signing a two year AHL contract last season. Since it was so late in the year, they were basically signing him for this season. But im not 100% on that.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I disagree Cross. Dowling impressed everyone down in Abbotsford and was extremely effective. He just seemingly developed chemistry quickly with anyone he played with. To do that on a team that had been together the entire year, and in an intense playoff battle at the end of the season, just goes to show how good he sees the ice.

He was not overly impressive at camp, but he was probrobly the best puckhandler out there. And has proven more offensively at the AHL level then and of the 4 players you listed. Then add to that that it's quite possible that Horak and Byron(If he's not in the NHL) may convert to the wing, he looks like a pretty solid option behind Wahl.(Who still has alot to prove himself.)

Edit: Just remembered about the Ben Walter signing. So with him your center AHL depth chart looks something like this:

Walter

Wahl

Dowling

Patterson

ps. I seem to remember him signing a two year AHL contract last season. Since it was so late in the year, they were basically signing him for this season. But im not 100% on that.

It is, but I don't think your going to see a conversion of all of thsoe guys and i think those guys have more NHL prospects than Dowling. Í never said don't give Dowling a shot, i'm just saying that the guys I listed have more NHL potential and therefore I think its important to develop those guys but I am not opposed at all to having Dowling in the organization at the ECHL or AHL level if there is a fit, just not at the expense of better prospects.

It's also not right that Dowling has shown more offense than Wahl at the NHL level. You remarked how it was impressive that Dowling fit right in like he did. Well how about 2010 when Wahl went straight from the dub to the A and put up 4 pionts in 4 games and followed it up with 6 points in 12 games in the post season having never played in the AHL. That is more than Dowling did so i don't think that comment is fair.

Walter

Wahl

Dowling

Patterson

Dowling was signed to an ATO and I don't think he has signed any other contracts.

http://www.abbotsfordheat.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=23800&ATCLID=205122842

I don't think that it is fair to say that Dowling has proven more offensively at the AHL level then the other guy's when Dowling has only put up 4 points in the AHL and only played 8 games.

Byron for example put up 53 points in 67 games last year and 33 points in 57 games in his first year in the AHL.

Wahl like Cross has said got off to a great start after his final WHL sean, but last year he 5 points in 17 games, but missed 63 games to due injury, Wahl still has more offensive upside then Dowling.

Patterson put up 21 points in 61 games not a great offensive output but not too shabby either for his first season, but offensive isn't his bread and butter anyways, having Patterson step up made Armstrong expendable I think, Patterson has 3rd or 4th line potential down the road.

Horak just finished his last season of WHL and has yet to play in the AHL, so technically you are right in this situation.

Dowling was signed to an ATO and I don't think he has signed any other contracts.

http://www.abbotsfordheat.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=23800&ATCLID=205122842

I don't think that it is fair to say that Dowling has proven more offensively at the AHL level then the other guy's when Dowling has only put up 4 points in the AHL and only played 8 games.

Byron for example put up 53 points in 67 games last year and 33 points in 57 games in his first year in the AHL.

Wahl like Cross has said got off to a great start after his final WHL sean, but last year he 5 points in 17 games, but missed 63 games to due injury, Wahl still has more offensive upside then Dowling.

Patterson put up 21 points in 61 games not a great offensive output but not too shabby either for his first season, but offensive isn't his bread and butter anyways, having Patterson step up made Armstrong expendable I think, Patterson has 3rd or 4th line potential down the road.

Horak just finished his last season of WHL and has yet to play in the AHL, so technically you are right in this situation.

I was more comparing Dowling to Wahl. Obviously Byron is the most offensively proven at the AHL level.

But the thing with Dowling is that he was effective every shift. Creating offensive plays constantly, strong defensivly, and making the players around him better.

But like Cross said above, he should get a chance. I think that is important, esspecially if Wahl struggles. Hope he can be our next Bancks.

Walter

Wahl

Dowling

Patterson

Dowling just signed a pro try-out agreement last season due to the injuries the Heat had

and the center depth in Abbotsford is much different than you say. Byron is a natural centerman, Nemisz has seen time at C. Horak is a center. Even Bouma may play center. So our center depth may be closer to this:

Walter

Byron

Bouma

Wahl

Horak

Patterson

However I think both Byron and Bouma could be moved to the wing this year if they are in Abbotsford

Dowling just signed a pro try-out agreement last season due to the injuries the Heat had

and the center depth in Abbotsford is much different than you say. Byron is a natural centerman, Nemisz has seen time at C. Horak is a center. Even Bouma may play center. So our center depth may be closer to this:

Walter

Byron

Bouma

Wahl

Horak

Patterson

However I think both Byron and Bouma could be moved to the wing this year if they are in Abbotsford

Yes. We are actually pretty deep at all forward positions. Trying to cut available forwards to 14 is pretty tough even without Dowling in the mix.

That said, if Dowling earns a spot I think he has enough upside to give him a chance.

Yes. We are actually pretty deep at all forward positions. Trying to cut available forwards to 14 is pretty tough even without Dowling in the mix.

That said, if Dowling earns a spot I think he has enough upside to give him a chance.

I agree. I think Dowling does have a future in the NHL but it will take him awhile to get there

there was something somewhere that mentioned Severyn was signed to an AHL deal... I think it was an article comparing him and Bancks....

Found it!!!!

Flames general manager Jay Feaster confirmed that Severyn was signed to an AHL deal for this season, with the potential to convert it into an NHL deal, as was done with Bancks and blueliner Joe Piskula this off-season.

its THW, but whatever. found it :lol:

• 6 months later...

It has been about 9-months since this was created. I thought it would be interesting to re-look at the rankings.

My take:

1. Baertschi: So far the highest PPG average in the modern CHL. Looked good in camp
  2. Brodie: Very impressed with how he looks so far in the NHL
  3. Irving: Strong AHL season followed up with a strong NHL debut
  4. Ramo: Could be an NHL starter today, or could be a bust. Time will tell.
  5. Reinhart: Followed up his great playoffs with a decent WHL season.
  6. Granlund: Stuck with the big boys in Finland and is putting up decent production
  7. Brossoit: Very strong WHL season
  8. Horak: I am not sure how high is ceiling is, but a pleasant surprise.
  9. Gaudreau: Producing very well for a Freshman. Especially considering his size.
  10. Byron: Dropped off this season. Not great in his NHL call-ups.
  11. Nemisz: Merely a decent AHL season when he should be knocking it out of the park. Hasn't looked good at all in his limited calls-ups or during training camp.
  12. Ferland: Having an unexpectedly good WHL season.
  13. Connelly: Blazing fast and he can score. Size is an issue for a D.
  14. Leach: Working his way up the charts with a strong WHL season. Top 20 in scoring (among D) and top 20 plus minus (overall). Not bad for a shut down D.
  15. Wotherspoon: He is having a decent season for an 18 year old
  16. Ramage: I have seen very little of Ramage and you can't read much into his stat sheet.
  17. Ortio: Struggled in the AHL this season. Doing well in his brief time since returning to the Finish league.
  18. Arnold: He has slowed down since juniors, but was putting up decent numbers and getting decent reports before that.
  19. Kolanos: Probably too slow to be an impact player in the NHL. But he has been okay in his time so far.
  20. Bouma: Bouma is showing he can play a 4-line energy role in the NHL at the least.
  21. Howse: Having a dreadful start to his pro career with a combination of poor production, concerns about fitness, and injuries. Dangerously close to getting a NP label. Could still turn it around.
  22. Carson: Often on waivers and already 26 may be limited to a call-up role in the NHL.
  23. Walter: Having a decent season in the AHL. But at 27 he is probably limited to call-up support.
  24. Aliu: A project with a potential attitude issue. Like Howse there is lots of upside if he can turn it around.
  25. Elson: May lack the tool box to be an NHLer.
  26. Wahl: Hampered by injuries Wahl is back to the ECHL after failing to produce on his second AHL team. Doubtful he will be an NHL player.

I didn't include Backlund as he isn't a prospect. But if I did he would place 4.

The following players I consider non-prospects at the moment:

Cameron, Dowling, Grantham, MacMillan, Severyn, Meyer, Bancks, Breen, Desbian, Henry, Martin, Patterson, Piskula, Rheault, Sylvester

I agree with almost all of that, more or less.

The one significant change that I would make is that I would have Horak up at 4th or 5th. He has shown an ability to compete at the NHL level, which to me puts him ahead of anyone who hasn't shown that (unless they are showing significant potential, like Baertschi).

I would also move Bouma up to 11th and I would probably nudge Connelly slightly higher.

I agree with almost all of that, more or less.

The one significant change that I would make is that I would have Horak up at 4th or 5th. He has shown an ability to compete at the NHL level, which to me puts him ahead of anyone who hasn't shown that (unless they are showing significant potential, like Baertschi).

I would also move Bouma up to 11th and I would probably nudge Connelly slightly higher.

It is always tough to figure out where to place people when you compare potential versus chance or reaching potential. Personally I am managing my expectations of both Horak and Bouma. Both appear to be bottom 6 players and still have to show they can stick in the NHL. Horak in particular could surprise us yet again but he has a long ways to go still.

I'm not going to re-rank anyone, but I am very glad to see I had Irving rated as our #2 prospect and at this point in time I might even put him ahead of Baertschi because he has shown very well at the NHL level and while I think Baertschi has higher potential, I think Irving has a much higher "worst case".

I'm not going to re-rank anyone, but I am very glad to see I had Irving rated as our #2 prospect and at this point in time I might even put him ahead of Baertschi because he has shown very well at the NHL level and while I think Baertschi has higher potential, I think Irving has a much higher "worst case".

I had Irving 3 and still have him there. He is definitely making a good showing but he has only had 5-starts with 1-win so far. Karlsson was getting similar reviews. In fact his production was eerily similar in his first 5 starts. Points in 4 of his 5 games with the loss being a blow-out and otherwise fantastic stats. In short, I still think he has potential as a starter but I wouldn't say he is proven at an NHL level or anything. Good start though.

Unfortunately our older prospects (Negrin, Wahl, Nemisz, Howse, Byron) have fallen off. At least in my rankings.

I had Irving 3 and still have him there. He is definitely making a good showing but he has only had 5-starts with 1-win so far. Karlsson was getting similar reviews. In fact his production was eerily similar in his first 5 starts. Points in 4 of his 5 games with the loss being a blow-out and otherwise fantastic stats. In short, I still think he has potential as a starter but I wouldn't say he is proven at an NHL level or anything. Good start though.

Unfortunately our older prospects (Negrin, Wahl, Nemisz, Howse, Byron) have fallen off. At least in my rankings.

I would say Irving has been miles ahead of Karlsson. Karlsson may have been 2-1-2 in his first 5 starts but he did so with a sub .900 sv% and only stood out in 1 game. Irving has stood out in 4 of his 5 starts

I guess to simplify more in Karlsson's starts I saw potential for a good backup, in Irving I see potential for a good starter

I would say Irving has been miles ahead of Karlsson. Karlsson may have been 2-1-2 in his first 5 starts but he did so with a sub .900 sv% and only stood out in 1 game. Irving has stood out in 4 of his 5 starts

I guess to simplify more in Karlsson's starts I saw potential for a good backup, in Irving I see potential for a good starter

First 5-games excluding the blowout games for each goalie:

Karlsson was SV% 0.922, GAA 1.75, 2-0-2

Irving was SV% 0.942, GAA 2.25, 1-0-3

Again, I like what I have seen with Irving and think he has more potential as an NHL starter then Karlsson. I am just tempering my expectations a bit until I have seen more games.

First 5-games excluding the blowout games for each goalie:

Karlsson was SV% 0.922, GAA 1.75, 2-0-2

Irving was SV% 0.942, GAA 2.25, 1-0-3

Again, I like what I have seen with Irving and think he has more potential as an NHL starter then Karlsson. I am just tempering my expectations a bit until I have seen more games.

maybe I've just watched enough Heat games to not have the doubts you do. I have zero doubt Irving will be a starter in the NHL and I think at worst he will be a journeyman starter. The kid is a fierce competitor and to be truthful if we still have Kipper in 13/14 I wouldn't be shocked to see Irving steal his job.

I agree with Ring that Irving looks far stronger than Karlsson did after 5 games, despite what the stats say. Ring summed it up with "Karlsson looked like a good backup, Irving looks like a starter" (or thereabouts)

Also, Howse is 20 (hardly among the older prospects). And i don't agree at all about Byron

I agree with Ring that Irving looks far stronger than Karlsson did after 5 games, despite what the stats say. Ring summed it up with "Karlsson looked like a good backup, Irving looks like a starter" (or thereabouts)

I didn't and don't disagree. I just said I am tempering my expectations. And you and Ring may not have been part of it but there was all kinds of talk early last season on the boards about Karlsson being a starter after the five game mark or so. I am just saying I am waiting until I see more then 5-games.

Also, Howse is 20 (hardly among the older prospects). And i don't agree at all about Byron

What do you disagree with?

I still have Byron ranked as #10 of our prospects. But there was talk from the GM about him making the team this season. He didn't. He also so his PPG drop in the AHL from 0.79 to 0.42. Still a prospect with potential but you don't think he has fallen some between summer and now?

As for Howse, I really hope he can turn his game around. Feaster was talking about fast tracking him into the NHL. They thought he had lots of offensive potential. To this point he hasn't got a point. Again, I think it is fair to say his stock has dropped some.

I didn't and don't disagree. I just said I am tempering my expectations. And you and Ring may not have been part of it but there was all kinds of talk early last season on the boards about Karlsson being a starter after the five game mark or so. I am just saying I am waiting until I see more then 5-games.

What do you disagree with?

I still have Byron ranked as #10 of our prospects. But there was talk from the GM about him making the team this season. He didn't. He also so his PPG drop in the AHL from 0.79 to 0.42. Still a prospect with potential but you don't think he has fallen some between summer and now?

As for Howse, I really hope he can turn his game around. Feaster was talking about fast tracking him into the NHL. They thought he had lots of offensive potential. To this point he hasn't got a point. Again, I think it is fair to say his stock has dropped some.

Oh, I fully agree that Howse's stock has dropped (quite a bit), I was only commenting that, at 20, I don't think he is among the older prospects.

As for Byron, I am not concerned about his production in Abby where the team is decimated by call-ups and has plummetted in teh standings. Byron has speed and some grit, and is an intelligent player. When on the big club, he plays a decent NHL game. So no, I don't think his stock has fallen.

As for Karlsson, yes I remember the converations last year. But again, like Ring, I see a big difference in what Irving is bringing to the table, compared to what Karlsson brings/brought

Oh, I fully agree that Howse's stock has dropped (quite a bit), I was only commenting that, at 20, I don't think he is among the older prospects.

Sorry, I get you now. I didn't even realize I said older. I meant prospects playing in the AHL as opposed to the junior rank. I agree. Howse is definitely still a young prospect. I am hoping he gets the first one, gets his confidence back, and then gets on a roll.

It has been about 9-months since this was created. I thought it would be interesting to re-look at the rankings.

My take:

1. Baertschi: So far the highest PPG average in the modern CHL. Looked good in camp
  2. Brodie: Very impressed with how he looks so far in the NHL
  3. Irving: Strong AHL season followed up with a strong NHL debut
  4. Ramo: Could be an NHL starter today, or could be a bust. Time will tell.
  5. Reinhart: Followed up his great playoffs with a decent WHL season.
  6. Granlund: Stuck with the big boys in Finland and is putting up decent production
  7. Brossoit: Very strong WHL season
  8. Horak: I am not sure how high is ceiling is, but a pleasant surprise.
  9. Gaudreau: Producing very well for a Freshman. Especially considering his size.
  10. Byron: Dropped off this season. Not great in his NHL call-ups.
  11. Nemisz: Merely a decent AHL season when he should be knocking it out of the park. Hasn't looked good at all in his limited calls-ups or during training camp.
  12. Ferland: Having an unexpectedly good WHL season.
  13. Connelly: Blazing fast and he can score. Size is an issue for a D.
  14. Leach: Working his way up the charts with a strong WHL season. Top 20 in scoring (among D) and top 20 plus minus (overall). Not bad for a shut down D.
  15. Wotherspoon: He is having a decent season for an 18 year old
  16. Ramage: I have seen very little of Ramage and you can't read much into his stat sheet.
  17. Ortio: Struggled in the AHL this season. Doing well in his brief time since returning to the Finish league.
  18. Arnold: He has slowed down since juniors, but was putting up decent numbers and getting decent reports before that.
  19. Kolanos: Probably too slow to be an impact player in the NHL. But he has been okay in his time so far.
  20. Bouma: Bouma is showing he can play a 4-line energy role in the NHL at the least.
  21. Howse: Having a dreadful start to his pro career with a combination of poor production, concerns about fitness, and injuries. Dangerously close to getting a NP label. Could still turn it around.
  22. Carson: Often on waivers and already 26 may be limited to a call-up role in the NHL.
  23. Walter: Having a decent season in the AHL. But at 27 he is probably limited to call-up support.
  24. Aliu: A project with a potential attitude issue. Like Howse there is lots of upside if he can turn it around.
  25. Elson: May lack the tool box to be an NHLer.
  26. Wahl: Hampered by injuries Wahl is back to the ECHL after failing to produce on his second AHL team. Doubtful he will be an NHL player.

I didn't include Backlund as he isn't a prospect. But if I did he would place 4.

The following players I consider non-prospects at the moment:

Cameron, Dowling, Grantham, MacMillan, Severyn, Meyer, Bancks, Breen, Desbian, Henry, Martin, Patterson, Piskula, Rheault, Sylvester

Pretty awesome list kehatch....I don't have much to argue with.

Baertschi number One, everyone else...number two right now.

If I were to change things....I would drop:

Ramo: to around the bottom. Far worse potential than Kolanos, similar problem with age, much less likely to play in NHL, let alone Flames.

Reinhart: He needed a breakout year this year. As in, top 3 in the WHL. He's unlikely to be an impact player but he could have an NHL role. He's still on the prospect list, somewhere just below Ferland.

Mitch Wahl: Basically drop from the list. It doesn't mean he can't get back On the list. But right now, I wouldn't re-sign him. It's a concussion thing. Hopefully, we see a dramatic improvement at some distant point in the future, like has happened with Kolanos.

Kolanos: Off the list. He's part of the team, but he's not a prospect IMHO. I have big hopes for him, but they need to materialize by end of season, or I'm just plain wrong. Even if he becomes a core player, he's not a prospect.

I would RAISE:

Ortio to near the top. Just below Granlund. He recovered nicely in the AHL, and has played extremely well with TPS Turku, who also was kind enough to develop Kipper for us:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=120919

Horak to just below Baertschi. Can't explain it...just a feelling. I think he is on the verge of a whole other gear.

Brian Connelly: Top 5. Not sure exactly where he fits. I believe he has core player potential. 3 points in his first 4 games with the Heat. Literally unheard of for a defenceman, and he hasn't even gelled with his team yet. Can't wait to see what he does up here.

1. Sven Baertschi (i expect him to be a 1-2 line wing)

2. Lelande Irving (starting goalie)

3. T.J Brodie ( 4th D)

4. Horak ( 3-4 C)

5. Byron ( 3 line Wing)

6. Nemisz ^

7. Reinhart ( 2-4 c)

8. Granlund (2-3 Wing)

9. Ferland (3rd line wing)

10. Connelly (3-5 D)

11. Ramage (2-4 D)

12. Leach (5-6)

13. Geudreau (same as byron)

14. Arnold (3-4 C)

15. wootherspoon (5-6)

16. Bouma (4C,W)

17. Howse (2-3)

18. Ortio (Backup)

19. aliu (4line)

20. wahl ?

Pretty awesome list kehatch....I don't have much to argue with.

Baertschi number One, everyone else...number two right now.

If I were to change things....I would drop:

Ramo: to around the bottom. Far worse potential than Kolanos, similar problem with age, much less likely to play in NHL, let alone Flames.

Reinhart: He needed a breakout year this year. As in, top 3 in the WHL. He's unlikely to be an impact player but he could have an NHL role. He's still on the prospect list, somewhere just below Ferland.

Mitch Wahl: Basically drop from the list. It doesn't mean he can't get back On the list. But right now, I wouldn't re-sign him. It's a concussion thing. Hopefully, we see a dramatic improvement at some distant point in the future, like has happened with Kolanos.

Kolanos: Off the list. He's part of the team, but he's not a prospect IMHO. I have big hopes for him, but they need to materialize by end of season, or I'm just plain wrong. Even if he becomes a core player, he's not a prospect.

I would RAISE:

Ortio to near the top. Just below Granlund. He recovered nicely in the AHL, and has played extremely well with TPS Turku, who also was kind enough to develop Kipper for us:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=120919

Horak to just below Baertschi. Can't explain it...just a feelling. I think he is on the verge of a whole other gear.

Brian Connelly: Top 5. Not sure exactly where he fits. I believe he has core player potential. 3 points in his first 4 games with the Heat. Literally unheard of for a defenceman, and he hasn't even gelled with his team yet. Can't wait to see what he does up here.

I don't even know what to say to some of this, its so far offbase its disturbing.

Ramo behind Ortio? not a chance in hell. Ramo talent wise is close to or ready to be an NHL starter. Ortio is close to becoming an AHL backup.

Reinhart behind Ferland? again wtf. not even close, Reinhart is ahgead of Ferland in every way.

just sad

Sorry, I get you now. I didn't even realize I said older. I meant prospects playing in the AHL as opposed to the junior rank. I agree. Howse is definitely still a young prospect. I am hoping he gets the first one, gets his confidence back, and then gets on a roll.

Its been a terrible year, as well as a breakthrough year with Howse for me. He has been put in a role that is not condusive to his style of play. He is given usually below 10 shifts a game. Has no confidence, being a prolif scorer at every level, yet being unable to get anything in Abby.

However saying that, I have heard from people closer to the situation that he is really maturing alot. He is taking what Feaster and the coaching staff had to say to heart. He is working his body to the kind of level it needs to be. Apparently he has held himself back from road trips in order to keep working out. (I noticed he didnt play many road trips earlier in the year and now I know why.)

Howse is a good talent. This year may be a writeoff, but there is still a chance he jumps back into our top 10 prospects come next year.

Archived