Rank Our Prospects

I don't think that's fair to say. There are only 2 things keeping Negrin out of the NHL: and they're both knee injuries. As for Ramage, I think he has real potential as a shut-down defenseman who can skate and move the puck up out of the defensive zone to the forwards with a good pass.

on the high end, though, I agree. Pretty non-existent.

Both have potential. But Negrin has to show he can stay healthy. We also have to hope he hasn't stalled with injuries in prime development years. Ramage has a good pass but is pretty slow. We will have to see how he develops, but he is far from a sure thing.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Both have potential. But Negrin has to show he can stay healthy. We also have to hope he hasn't stalled with injuries in prime development years. Ramage has a good pass but is pretty slow. We will have to see how he develops, but he is far from a sure thing.

to be fair with Negrin it was a freak injury and was misdiagnosed by the Heat doctor, I mean really who breaks their kneecap and then even worse who misdiagnoses a broken kneecap

This is a make it or break it year for Negrin IMO. He has to remain healthy so that he can show that at least he has made some progress in his development. I'm less concerned about how he actually plays, but moreso in his ability to stay healthy. I know he is young, but if he is injured yet again you have to question is he is worth re signing.

I dont' agree Ramage is slow, not at all. I dont' think he is fast but I think he is an adequate skater. I see alot of Ference in Ramage. Not the best skater, not really the best at anything but through tenacity and work ethic gets the job done.

I will go back to ranking..

1- Greg Nemisz

( A big bodied power forward with top 6 potential)

2-T.J Brodie

( Offensive defencemen who is nhl ready. He has top two potential and will likely be there for the flames one day)

3-Leland Irving

( A stay in the crease goalie, Doesn't really have a style just stops the puck. He has the potential to become a number one goaltender in a few years)

4-Paul Bryon

( a small offensive forward with 2/3 string center potential. He needs to put on size but is a very good shooter and passer)

5- John Negrin

(Hasnt played much in the last two years but at one time he was one of our top prospects. Has top 4 potential if he can stay healthy.)

I dont' agree Ramage is slow, not at all. I dont' think he is fast but I think he is an adequate skater. I see alot of Ference in Ramage. Not the best skater, not really the best at anything but through tenacity and work ethic gets the job done.

That is great to hear. You are closer to the prospects then I am so I will take your word for it. He has looked okay when I have seen him, but certainly not fast. What I have read on him indicates he has heavy feet.

I really like Ramage's game. Especially his worth ethic, maturity, and leadership. If he can keep up at an NHL level I think he has a lot of potential.

That is great to hear. You are closer to the prospects then I am so I will take your word for it. He has looked okay when I have seen him, but certainly not fast. What I have read on him indicates he has heavy feet. I really like Ramage's game. Especially his worth ethic, maturity, and leadership. If he can keep up at an NHL level I think he has a lot of potential.

Which I would agree with. I dont' think Ramage is fast either and i'm not trying to say I think he is a great skater or that skating is a strenght. I just don't think skating is a weakness either and I don't think slow is a fair adjective for Ramage. He could improve his foot speed sure but keep in mind alot of 4th round prospects are going to have to improve their skating and or foot speed. I think Ramage could get a little more agile but pro coaching should take care of that but I don't consdier guys like Ference or Montador to have great foot speed either but they get the job done.

1. TJ Brodie

2. Greg Nemisz

3. John Negrin

4. Chris Breen

5. Leland Irving

6. Paul Byron

7. Sven Bartschi

Ranking based on how NHL ready they are.

I think you are underrating Byron a bit, he is likely very close to being NHL ready if he isn't already. I would put him 1st on that list if you look purely at being NHL ready. I would also put Bouma in the top 3 then as he has already shown he is ready for a 4th line role (which is likely all he will ever be)

I think you are underrating Byron a bit, he is likely very close to being NHL ready if he isn't already. I would put him 1st on that list if you look purely at being NHL ready. I would also put Bouma in the top 3 then as he has already shown he is ready for a 4th line role (which is likely all he will ever be)

I've never seen Byron play but I've heard mixed reviews so I felt placing him relatively low would be the right thing to do. I can't wait to see the guy actually play.

As far as Bouma goes, I can't believe I forgot him. He's at the top of my list.

I've never seen Byron play but I've heard mixed reviews so I felt placing him relatively low would be the right thing to do. I can't wait to see the guy actually play.

As far as Bouma goes, I can't believe I forgot him. He's at the top of my list.

i think with Byron the mixed reviews are more what he will do once he is in the NHL, I haven't heard many people other than Flames fans question if he will be in the NHL

i think with Byron the mixed reviews are more what he will do once he is in the NHL, I haven't heard many people other than Flames fans question if he will be in the NHL

Agreed, and even then I think most realize he will be in the NHL. However, he could be a 4th line grinder/energy player up to an ok 2nd line center so with that big a disparity its going to cause some debate.

Which is exaclty why I don't think the best rankings for prospects is how close they are to the NHL. Paul Byron should be at, or very close, to the top of the list in terms of propsects that are close to the NHL but there are several prospects who I think will be better pros and higher upsides than him.

If anyone is interested I have I have tried to compile a list of players that are currently Flames property, their contract status, age, and a general assessment. Let me know if I am missing anyone please.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnyM9YkEDoJIdG54bGFvaWJteUd4MUtFemNURnh6RFE&hl=en_US

the "s" in Ivanans is missing.

If anyone is interested I have I have tried to compile a list of players that are currently Flames property, their contract status, age, and a general assessment. Let me know if I am missing anyone please.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnyM9YkEDoJIdG54bGFvaWJteUd4MUtFemNURnh6RFE&hl=en_US

Prospect info

Puustinen is no longer Flames property and has signe with the Predators

Severyn is a recently graduated (i think) NCAA prospect, I don't think he has signed with either Calgary or Abbotsford (that I have heard)

Laing I think had his contract with Abbotsford expire, but I could be wrong

some spelling corrections

Ivanans, Raitis

Meyer, Stefan

Larson, Nick (never seen Nicholas anywhere)

Kostopoulos, Tom

Prospect info

Puustinen is no longer Flames property and has signe with the Predators

Severyn is a recently graduated (i think) NCAA prospect, I don't think he has signed with either Calgary or Abbotsford (that I have heard)

Laing I think had his contract with Abbotsford expire, but I could be wrong

some spelling corrections

Ivanans, Raitis

Meyer, Stefan

Larson, Nick (never seen Nicholas anywhere)

Kostopoulos, Tom

He signed an AHL contract earlier this summer.

Dowling is a huge project and IMO right now I don't see the need. You've got guys like Bryon, Wahl, Patterson and Horak that all need ice time at the center ice position so I think Dowling just doesn't fit right now unless there is an injury. Starting him at the ECHL level isn't a bad idea.

I'm really happy to see CJ SEveryn was at least given an AHL contract. CJ is a guy that every camp I go to I come away happy with. Great skater, and he was impressive at the development camp, but his numbers in the NCAA just don't back it up. If he can put up some offence as a pro I could definetly see an NHL contract in his future and potentially an NHL future as well but he would have to improve upon his numbers from the NCAA.

Archived