Louis23

3 Shutouts in a row at home for the Oil....

Bronco, in all honesty, I come in peace.  What do you believe is next? Trades, firings, hirings, etc.  Absolutely anything you can think of with the Oilers org.

I really want to know your honest take on the whole situation.  Just wanting to pick your Oiler brain, and hear it from a true Oilers fan.  Just spill it out buddy.

honestly I don't know what is next.

Trades?  any trade we make we will get fleeced.  Firings?  Katz will not fire his bud Lowe, Lowe will not fire his bud MacTavash, and MacTavash will not fire his boy Eakins (so soon at least). 

What can Edmonton do?  Most likely thing I believe is trading one of the young ones away to make a statement. 

Honestly, IMO they just have to ride this one out.  There will be no white knight riding in to save them, they have to fix this one their own.  They will get better, I am fully confident of that. 

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why does it seem like the Oilers are trying to scapegoat Yakupov?  The kids barely old enough to participate in "Movember" and obviously going through a sophomore slump.  Why pin so much blame on him?  He's going to be a star in about 3 years and it would be a mistake for the Oilers to trade him away.

I know it never happens, but just for funsies - would you trade Sven for Nail? 

Love. 

I know it never happens, but just for funsies - would you trade Sven for Nail? 

Love. 

No...   I would not even trade Butler for Yak...   He would be nothing but a distraction with his attitude...

Maybe he will change down the road, but right now he would just set a poor example in the locker room and both on and off the ice...

At this point in time I would not even want him on the Heat...

Trades?  any trade we make we will get fleeced. 

It largely depends on your definition of fleeced.

If you see a huge return for Hemsky (a 1st rounder+) you'll be disappointed. The guy would be a $5 million rental.

If the "potential" of the Golden 5 has you expecting proven a top tier player straight across again prepare for disappointment.

I don't mean you as much as I mean most posters on the Oiler board but KLowe/McT seem to place the same value on players that haven't proven a dang thing.

Any 1 player on the Oilers will not fetch a true #1 center nor defenseman.

$6 million forwards without even individual awards that play small aren't worth much in a cap world.

4.8 for a #2 center (Gagner) that has the odd spectacular game isn't high on most GMs list.

Best trade chips Edmonton has are the 2014 lotto pick & Nurse. The 2015 1st also carries more value then most teams #1 because even that is expected to have good odds of being the winner of the Connor MacDavid sweepstakes.

No...   I would not even trade Butler for Yak...   He would be nothing but a distraction with his attitude...

Maybe he will change down the road, but right now he would just set a poor example in the locker room and both on and off the ice...

At this point in time I would not even want him on the Heat...

You could be right, but it's hard to say, isn't it? 

The change of scenery, a new locker room with a different attitude and veteran leadership, and perhaps most of all - the kick in the checking from behind that assuredly goes with being first overall to being traded in your second year could all result in a very different attitude. He'd have something to prove, and he may want to prove that. I think nothing would like him up like being traded to the provincial rival (not because he knows much about the BofA, but because it's so close and there's so many games head to head).

Love. 

You could be right, but it's hard to say, isn't it? 

The change of scenery, a new locker room with a different attitude and veteran leadership, and perhaps most of all - the kick in the checking from behind that assuredly goes with being first overall to being traded in your second year could all result in a very different attitude. He'd have something to prove, and he may want to prove that. I think nothing would like him up like being traded to the provincial rival (not because he knows much about the BofA, but because it's so close and there's so many games head to head).

Love. 

If the most common rumors on their expectations for a return an a trade for Hemsky are true, then I can only imagine what they would want for Yak...

The price could be lower after Larionov's meeting with MacT today though...   :lol:

They have to get better there is more room to go further down. I am all for being a strong supporter of my club, but am a realist when it comes to our situation. That said, if they right the ship, do you believe the current make up of this club is or was good enough to make the playoffs?

Trades?  any trade we make we will get fleeced.  Firings?  Katz will not fire his bud Lowe, Lowe will not fire his bud MacTavash, and MacTavash will not fire his boy Eakins (so soon at least). 

What can Edmonton do?  Most likely thing I believe is trading one of the young ones away to make a statement. 

Honestly, IMO they just have to ride this one out.  There will be no white knight riding in to save them, they have to fix this one their own.  They will get better, I am fully confident of that. 

At least this gong show will keep em from scooping any significant free agent (not born in Alberta).

they'll end up another top prospect... If not the top one, they'll get 2nd or 3rd overall.. 

Their only hope of significant personnel changes is trade.  

My prediction - This is the year the Oilers, at the draft, trade their 1st round pick for a stud difference maker.

Stuck between a rock and a hard place huh?  You are right, it'll only get better from here.  It's hard to get any worse, unless they go 0-82-0 on a season. 

I'm just wondering whos going to crack first?  The fanbase, Katz, Lowe, MacT, Eakins, or a player.  These situations don't normally pan out well for a certain individual.  Most of the time one or two people end up shouldering the blame.

One way for fans to get their voice heard is to boycott the product, and and off the ice.  Once a drought hits Katz' pocketbook, he'll be open to moving bodies, buddies or not.  Money talks.

Oilers record vs the:

East :  14 gms, 4-9-1

West:  6 gms, 0-5-1

Too bad they are halfway done their eastern schedule. 

Maybe Katz should consider a move to QC.

=================

The TSN obsession with Yakupov and his +/- is so agenda driven it isn't even funny.  
I feel sooo bad for this kid... no 19-20 yr old kid deserves the kind of mud he's getting slung at him right now from the media.

Yakupov @ -15, ok.. we get it.

Now where's the mention of The Nuge @ -13? Hemsky @ -13? Gagne a -10 in a mere 7 games?! Petry @ -13.. well that one i get.

Oilers record vs the:

=================

The TSN obsession with Yakupov and his +/- is so agenda driven it isn't even funny.  

I feel sooo bad for this kid... no 19-20 yr old kid deserves the kind of mud he's getting slung at him right now from the media.

Now where's the mention of The Nuge @ -13? Hemsky @ -13? Gagne a -10 in a mere 7 games?! Petry @ -13.. well that one i get.

Couldn't agree more DL, unfortunately tsn won't cover the fact that management has placed these kids to either sink or swim yet no onus on them.

And judging from management, your prediction of them trading that first overall is a logical one yet when in the last four years have they done anything but logical

Oilers record vs the:

=================

Couldn't agree more DL, unfortunately tsn won't cover the fact that management has placed these kids to either sink or swim yet no onus on them.

And judging from management, your prediction of them trading that first overall is a logical one yet when in the last four years have they done anything but logical

Sorry, but it comes with the territory.  If I were paid even 500k a year, I would take the media slander with all I have.  These kids live privileged lives.  I have no problem with the media hazing a kid.

He started drawing attention to himself while seeking the limelight with his showboat attitude and his ego last season...   With the recent rants of his agent Larionov and Yak himself, he has earned every minute of it...

Those same rants also seem to be an indication of a "me first" attitude, rather than wanting to be a team player...

Those players have also been mentioned as being part of the reason for the Oils plight, but again Yak and Larionov have put him into the forefront of the spotlight...   Sure he is getting attention, just not the kind he was seeking as it seems to have backfired...

He started drawing attention to himself while seeking the limelight with his showboat attitude and his ego last season...   With the recent rants of his agent Larionov and Yak himself, he has earned every minute of it...

Those same rants also seem to be an indication of a "me first" attitude, rather than wanting to be a team player...

Those players have also been mentioned as being part of the reason for the Oils plight, but again Yak and Larionov have put him into the forefront of the spotlight...   Sure he is getting attention, just not the kind he was seeking as it seems to have backfired...

Exactly, he slid 180 feet on his knees right into the spotlight...

Selanne, Jagr, Bure, Ovechkin, Yakupov... 

Has been going on for years...

These guys and soooooo many  other youngens around them celebrated their goals with a pure joy that was and is great to see. 

For you guys to go Don Cherry on this kid and say his treatment is somehow justified because of it is... weak and cheap.  

^ the thing that makes me laugh the most, is the fact that there were 2 spotlights at the ready for when he actually slid on his knees....almost like it was planned.  Who the hell puts spotlights on a dude during a game that isn't even finished? :lol:

For you guys to go Don Cherry on this kid and say his treatment is somehow justified because of it is... weak and cheap.  

It's also 'weak and cheap' to parade the kid around and sing his glories when he's successful, but be pissed when he's called out and becomes a laughing stock.

Can't have best of both worlds DL.

Sorry, but it comes with the territory. If I were paid even 500k a year, I would take the media slander with all I have. These kids live privileged lives. I have no problem with the media hazing a kid.

Well it's not like yakupov himself has come out and cried to the media, he is just stating he wants to play. His agent did the most damage bringing him to the forefront. But I'm not saying yak doesnt needs to learn some restraint etc because he does. but that comes not only with time/experience but proper mentoring from vets to coaches to management. Which the oilers are lacking in all areas. My problem is that they are having media pieces centred around the one player and not highlighting the team as a whole and then stating yakupov is only one of many on the team that needs mentorship.

To only highlight a young 19-20 yr old for his faults on a team plagued with horrible numbers, selfishness, and lack of effort is not right to me. Hopefully for his career he learns to be a team player on and off the ice.... Hopefully after he's moved from the oilers :)

Well it's not like yakupov himself has come out and cried to the media, he is just stating he wants to play. His agent did the most damage bringing him to the forefront. But I'm not saying yak doesnt needs to learn some restraint etc because he does. but that comes not only with time/experience but proper mentoring from vets to coaches to management. Which the oilers are lacking in all areas. My problem is that they are having media pieces centred around the one player and not highlighting the team as a whole and then stating yakupov is only one of many on the team that needs mentorship.

To only highlight a young 19-20 yr old for his faults on a team plagued with horrible numbers, selfishness, and lack of effort is not right to me. Hopefully for his career he learns to be a team player on and off the ice.... Hopefully after he's moved from the oilers :)

Well you kind of summed it up right there, he needs to learn to play a team game.  He's stated he's going to play the way he's going to play.  He hasn't played a team game thus far and has tried to do everything himself. 

So if he doesn't want to play a team game, then he's going to get blasted on his lonesome.  The media is giving him his just desserts. Like I said before.  It comes with the territory.  Welcome to the limelight.

This is the Coiler thread not the Yak thread.

As far as I can tell, Yakupov is listed on the OIlers roster, so I'm pretty sure we're in the right place...

All this time, and here I thought you had enough hockey smarts to understand that any top pick, that is sitting at 4 points after 18 games with a -15 should know better than to be complaining to the media, and having his agent do the same plus having a meeting with the GM, to voice being unsatisfied about lack of ice time...   That, is weak and cheap...

Beat a dead horse more.

That pretty much sums up the Oilers forum mate.

All the other OIlers issues have been kicked to death.  Yak's situation just happens to be the freshest.  If you don't like reading any of it, by all means, we have many more threads here on the forum to browse.

Archived