Louis23

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never thought I'd admit this publicly, but it's times like this that I miss the humour of Conner.  Someone needs to track him down and invite him back.

My finger was hovering over the delete button for a second here Kulstad........

I never thought I'd admit this publicly, but it's times like this that I miss the humour of Conner.  Someone needs to track him down and invite him back.

My finger was hovering over the delete button for a second here Kulstad........

I LOVE this thread :)

lol!!

p.s...last I saw, he was on active on the canucks forum.  that was just over a month ago :)

looks like he's found a new dynasty......

Even a casual observer would think, "don't know about your goaltending".

A few years back.

Did KLowe's parrot die and there's no longer anything to offset the ADD?

I don't even know how to make fun of this anymore, it's beyond ridiculous.

This Yakupov thing is hilarious.

Why did you draft him? Because you had to??

I'd be shocked if Yakupov's scouting reports never alluded to not doing what you're doing right now.

All offence. Check.

Defensive liability. Check.

Prognosis: 1st line winger, highly skilled but requires skilled linemates or becomes selfish. Check.

This was a known.

Wtf are they doing?

Here's what I've grown accustomed to with the Oilers:

Here's the popular/practical thinking process/reports>Oilers: let's prove everyone wrong.

It's a sense of arrogance that tends to pervade the entire franchise imho.

When it's down to Lowe and MacTavish holding up their Gretzky rings in defiance of any normal-thinking reporter/person's question, it has crash landed, imho.

It's hard to laugh at from any cdn franchise, I mean it's absolutely pathetic.

Well the oilers lost again tonight, so I thought I would venture into their forums for the 1st time and see the meltdown lol, seems they created a flames vs oilers rebuild threat not too long ago, had some laughs in there lol

Yeah I was checking that out too. It is pretty funny. At least it was until I started worrying that it could be us at some point. At least to a degree. I know it took a special kind of bed [mod edit] to get that poor team where it is now but we could make one or two of the same mistakes. I'm very cautious about getting on a high horse as a flames fan right now. We're playing great but we all know the standings take a while to normalize.

There is pain coming for sure...I still see us as a last-place team.

But we shouldn't be competing with the Oilers for the spot.  Not after all their first overall picks.

The fact that we've having unusual success right now is interesting, but the issue is why the Oilers just can't stop competing for the first overall pick.  It's starting to get ridiculous.

There is pain coming for sure...I still see us as a last-place team.

But we shouldn't be competing with the Oilers for the spot.  Not after all their first overall picks.

The fact that we've having unusual success right now is interesting, but the issue is why the Oilers just can't stop competing for the first overall pick.  It's starting to get ridiculous.

I don't see us as a last place team. There's too much of a veteran presence on this team for us to finish last IMO. The difference between us and the oilers is we still have some quality veterans. We're not icing a first line of rookies.

That being said, I don't think we'll make the playoffs. But hey, Colorado iced a similar type of team a few seasons back and made it to the first round. Everyone was waiting for them to fall off all season and they never did. Here's hoping

cheers1.jpg

I don't see us as a last place team. There's too much of a veteran presence on this team for us to finish last IMO. The difference between us and the oilers is we still have some quality veterans. We're not icing a first line of rookies.

That being said, I don't think we'll make the playoffs. But hey, Colorado iced a similar type of team a few seasons back and made it to the first round. Everyone was waiting for them to fall off all season and they never did. Here's hoping

cheers1.jpg

That's what I'm hoping for too. Just imagine playoff Monahan...

Yeah I was checking that out too. It is pretty funny. At least it was until I started worrying that it could be us at some point. At least to a degree. I know it took a special kind of bed [mod edit] to get that poor team where it is now but we could make one or two of the same mistakes. I'm very cautious about getting on a high horse as a flames fan right now. We're playing great but we all know the standings take a while to normalize.

I went to check it after Lucid mentioned it. More then a few of their regulard seem disheartened. Some that post here (Bronco, UC for instance) admitted to it last year already.

I see it as so far we're avoiding the mistakes we saw KLowe make up there. Keeping some good vets around rather then having a full scale fire sale has @ least started us off on the right foot. We were lucky to have them around to show us the wrong way.

That said, we've still got a way to go to become a contender. @ least we haven't bottomed out. The talking heads seem to be in shock what our crew of decent vets (no real stars) & a few kids (no 1/1 picks) are doing. We've seen hot starts turn into nothing & some will likely be moaning @ season's end that we'd have been better off losing in Oct. but we are showing that heart & pride can result in an entertaining team while multiple 1/1s aren't neccessarily the fast track to the top.

I fully expect to be picking in the top 10 next draft (unless a deal comes up that's too good to pass up) but guys like Monahan & (in Wpg.) Trouba are proof that not only the top 2-3 picks are probable stars. I hope we can pluck another gem drafting in the high single digits again next pick.

I was pretty sure we'd take either Monahan or Nurse last year & would have been happy with either. We've yet to see what Nurse will be but for now I'm very happy with Monahan.

They have a thread about trading for Shea Weber.

From the discussion it appears the bloom is off the rose concerning Yakupov.

I found it funny 1 thought they could get Jones out of Nashville straight up. Yakker isn't a Trotz type player so Poile wouldn't trade for him. He's probably also had his fill of "me 1st" Russians.

With Yak having his minutes cut & playing 3rd line it makes me wonder if he'll run home to Mother Russia. He can likely get better then an EL contract with the KHL. Radulov did.

With Yak having his minutes cut & playing 3rd line it makes me wonder if he'll run home to Mother Russia. He can likely get better then an EL contract with the KHL. Radulov did.

What would the league compensate the Oil with if that happened?

Although it would be fun to see it happen to the mullets up north, I don't want the stigma of Russian flights to hinder the reps of the Russians that want to stay, ala Galchenyuk.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DL wanted to bet that Yak would score more this season than Baertschi, looking at the results so far, maybe in hindsight I should have taken that bet. :D

What would the league compensate the Oil with if that happened?

Although it would be fun to see it happen to the mullets up north, I don't want the stigma of Russian flights to hinder the reps of the Russians that want to stay, ala Galchenyuk.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DL wanted to bet that Yak would score more this season than Baertschi, looking at the results so far, maybe in hindsight I should have taken that bet. :D

The KHL doesn't compensate for defected players. Even if they did he could just do a Kovalchuk type "retirement".

BTW, Galchenyuk is American born & has played for the US in both the WJC & WC.

The KHL doesn't compensate for defected players. Even if they did he could just do a Kovalchuk type "retirement".

BTW, Galchenyuk is American born & has played for the US in both the WJC & WC.

Had no clue... :P

The NHL wouldn't compensate the Oil for a defected 1st overall running back to Russia?

I can only wish so much terrible on the Oilers. This has got to the point that I'd rather see both Alberta teams competing hard than both worrying about being bottom feeders for the next decade.

That's just it.   

How this was supposed to work, is the Oilers were going to rebuild, then us, and then we would have epic playoff battles and the winner would be the favourite for the Stanley cup.

I don't see it.

Make no mistake, these first few games are deceiving.  It is us, not them, that's going to experience the most pain over these next two years, imho.

But we have a shot at a real rebuild.

I think theirs failed.   There's no playoff battles between these two cities in the forseeable future.  Edmonton has big issues.

At this point, I would not be surprised if the Oilers do another complete purge, and rebuild, shortly after we do (or at the same time).

But more than likely, they'll cling to false hopes and be a mediocre team until this current group reaches retirement age.

Had no clue... :P

The NHL wouldn't compensate the Oil for a defected 1st overall running back to Russia?

They didn't compensate for Radulov (1/15) defected. The Preds did retain his rights so odds are that would happen if Yak went home. 1 of the reasons I hoped the Flames wouldn't draft Nichushkin.

The Rags did get a 2nd after Cherepanov (1/17) died @ 19 before his KHL contract ended. A different situation.

That's just it.   

How this was supposed to work, is the Oilers were going to rebuild, then us, and then we would have epic playoff battles and the winner would be the favourite for the Stanley cup.

I don't see it.

Make no mistake, these first few games are deceiving.  It is us, not them, that's going to experience the most pain over these next two years, imho.

But we have a shot at a real rebuild.

I think theirs failed.   There's no playoff battles between these two cities in the forseeable future.  Edmonton has big issues.

At this point, I would not be surprised if the Oilers do another complete purge, and rebuild, shortly after we do (or at the same time).

But more than likely, they'll cling to false hopes and be a mediocre team until this current group reaches retirement age.

Calgary:

The pain I see for us is a letdown after playing hard and winning early in the season.  But, TBH, we expected to lose more than we will win, so I don't see the pain as much as in Oil-land.

Edmonton:

So may predicted a long run in the playoffs.  Anything less this year will be a major loss.  A few losses, and the rumours (an scratches) are starting.  Mac will get panicky; BLowe will demand some heads roll.  They need some patience right now.

I can yakupov having played his last game as an oiler after this comment:

“I wasn’t happy about it last night. You can say a million words about getting better but coach says I’m not playing, so I’m not playing. I’m not happy about it. I just want to play every game. I’m not going to change but maybe play better without the puck, or forecheck more, but I love playing with the puck. I really don’t like skating all the time, and forechecking, and hitting somebody every shift. I don’t think it’s my game.”

Funny thing is..he probably could have fetched Gardiner from Toronto begore he said this, but he'd hate playing for Carlyle even more

Archived