Louis23

- After his new conference IMO Lowe has become out of touch with Oilers' fans and the media and has to go. However, I like MacT, I think he is a pretty smart guy and at least is on an equal level as Lowe.

- I wouldn't write off MacT just yet.

Come on, you really believe management has changed in EDM?  KLowe and MacT were the ones running the show since Tambo was brought in. They have failed to address the long-term and short-term needs of the team.  Any off-season moves you will see will be their last chance to save their jobs. Why do you think they are talking so tough now? To please the "season ticket holders"?

MacT and KLowe will make a high profile trade (think one of the stars), make a couple well publicised FA offers, and in the end ice a team very similar to the one this year.  Will they bring in players with a winning attitude?  Maybe, but they will get converted.  Most likely they will come from teams that don't know how to win.  Will they bring in gritty, skill players?  No, they will probably add players that only know how to hit.

At some point Katz will decide that 6 years without a playoff series is due to the current old-boys club.    

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have mentioned the advantage the Flames have over the Oilers many times here and on the Oilers board. The Flames have the UFA option, players want to play in Calgary and they have illustrated the ability to close trade deals, whether you like them or not. 

- The Flames were able to attract UFAs when they were viewed as a destination having a competitive team. I don't count overpaying B level free agents such as Wideman and Hudler as attracting UFAs. If they can attract an A level UFA of not have to overpay a B level UFA then the Flames would have to be considered an attractive team to that UFA. We will see how they do during free agency this off season.

- As far as completing trades, give me a break. Every team completes trades. Flames getting pennies on the dollar for their players is no a strength IMO.

Now this may change in coming years and players may begin to not want to come to Calgary but as it stands now it remains one of the Flames strengths over the Oilers. It costs nothing but money to sign a FA and the Flames bring a Vet team with a better attitude to the ice. 

We simply can not anticipate the future at this point in time. I said before and I will say it again that I am not predicting the Flames or the Oilers season next year until I see the conclusion of the off-season action. I expect the Flames to be very active in targeting their main weakness, the 23-27 age bracket. The Flames have been lucky in getting a unusual off-season to do it. 

An off-season which will have many teams looking to dump Cap. A poor season followed by 3 - 1st's in a deep draft. The Flames MAY be able to turn it around quicker than you think but we all have to wait on that front. 

As it stands right now, I can not and will not predict a series of moves for the Flames over the next 4 years. It is too long a time period, too many things can happen. 

- I didn't ask you to predict it, more give me a scenario where they could become contenders in 4 years.

You have always looked too far ahead in time and neglected other important aspects of the Oilers rebuild. They definitely do not have all pieces they need. They need a lot more and it remains to be seen if they get them. The Flames too need to rebuild or retool, especially in that 23-27 age bracket and time will tell. 

You have always been too future focused, it may be a problem the whole Edmonton organization needs to shake. There is something to be said about the future being now. 

- My focus has shifted. The time for trading for potential is mostly done in Edmonton unless a player can help a bit now and more in the future.

Come on, you really believe management has changed in EDM?  KLowe and MacT were the ones running the show since Tambo was brought in. They have failed to address the long-term and short-term needs of the team.  Any off-season moves you will see will be their last chance to save their jobs. Why do you think they are talking so tough now? To please the "season ticket holders"?

- According to Friedman on an interview on 960, Tambi had the ability to make the final call. I just think that if Tambellini was not on equal level psychologically with Lowe MacT won't have that problem. They're friends but sometime you can tell your friend to shove it, Tambellini might not have had that ability.

MacT and KLowe will make a high profile trade (think one of the stars), make a couple well publicised FA offers, and in the end ice a team very similar to the one this year.  Will they bring in players with a winning attitude?  Maybe, but they will get converted.  Most likely they will come from teams that don't know how to win.  Will they bring in gritty, skill players?  No, they will probably add players that only know how to hit.

- That is very presumptuous of you. I will not be in favor of  trading anyone of Hall, Nuge, Eberle, Schultz or Yakupov. Oilers still have a lot of trade assets after those players and teams will need to trade for cheaper players to get under the cap. There will also be more UFAs with the compliance buyouts this season. There will be opportunities for many teams to alter their complexions.

At some point Katz will decide that 6 years without a playoff series is due to the current old-boys club.    

- I think Lowe is untouchable. If he goes it will be his choosing which could be brought on by the fan base.

- That is very presumptuous of you. I will not be in favor of  trading anyone of Hall, Nuge, Eberle, Schultz or Yakupov. Oilers still have a lot of trade assets after those players and teams will need to trade for cheaper players to get under the cap. There will also be more UFAs with the compliance buyouts this season. There will be opportunities for many teams to alter their complexions.

- I think Lowe is untouchable. If he goes it will be his choosing which could be brought on by the fan base.

Just basing this on MacT's comments at the presser, and opinions of a lot of hockey analysts. Gags and Hemske would have been traded if the return was good. 

Present standings as of right now, says you can no longer claim to be a better team.

a7c2211aed6481e2aa45fb82d39594c4.png?136

dqq7tz.gif

If I knew it would only take an AHL team to pass the Oilers in the rebuild and the standings, I would have proposed we should have done it years ago!

Just basing this on MacT's comments at the presser, and opinions of a lot of hockey analysts. Gags and Hemske would have been traded if the return was good. 

- Doubt it. Sounded like the Oilers had offers for at least Hemsky but Tambellini thought it was better to not trade anyone away. I still think that was the right move at the time but the losing streak following that cost Tambellini his job.

Another season of the Oilers missing the playoffs, despite picking up a plethora of top end talent the last few years. Seven years of futility is a nasty post-season drought.

I imagine a long summer of soul searching will occur in order to attempt to turn around your fortunes. I really miss the epic Battles of Alberta and I hope they will resume in the near future.

All the best from your Alberta brothers-in-arms :)

OilerPoo13-04_zps39b25db6.png

/do_your_best_at_saying_this_with_a_straight_face:ON

Meh, it's just a loss.  We still have a game in hand over Calgary and can get it back tomorrow.  After all it's only the Ducks, it's not like they have any firepower on their team or anything like that.

/do_your_best_at_saying_this_with_a_straight_face:OFF

LOL!  Actually I posted in the Oilers forum in the "Future of the Flames" thread a few days ago that the Flames were going to pass us in the standings before the season was done...  I hate being right :(

/do_your_best_at_saying_this_with_a_straight_face:ON

Meh, it's just a loss.  We still have a game in hand over Calgary and can get it back tomorrow.  After all it's only the Ducks, it's not like they have any firepower on their team or anything like that.

/do_your_best_at_saying_this_with_a_straight_face:OFF

LOL!  Actually I posted in the Oilers forum in the "Future of the Flames" thread a few days ago that the Flames were going to pass us in the standings before the season was done...  I hate being right :(

I literally just photoshopped this for you Bronco.  Enjoy...

OILERSWRONG.jpg

It's true, the Flames have just overtaken the Oilers in the standings.

earthhit.gif

Indeed. They drafted their first top 10 player 6-years ago.  I am getting pretty sick with the 'some day we will be good' argument.  Wake me up when they are actually good because they are about to draft top 10 for the fifth season in a row and they don't even have a limited budget to use as an excuse.  

They are one of the worst franchises in the NHL.  I couldn't imagine being a fan of a franchise that pathetic and yet frequenting another teams message board to arrogantly tell them how we are better.  What a lack of shame and perspective.  

Hey Oilers:  

Would you mind just Not sucking really hard for a few games so that we can rebuild, for maybe just one year?

I promise, we don't need the 20 years it normally takes your franchise.  We're good with 1.  But seriously, what does it take to finish lower than you guys?    We've traded off our core, we've brought up our farm team...

I guess the only good thing is that the Oilers typically draft horribly, so having you ahead of us in the draft will ensure there's one less dud.

This thread is going to BLOW the PUCK UP when the Oilers finish with a (much) higher draft pick than the flames.

The venom coming from frustrated flames fans over winning too much down the stretch to enable a top 5 or maybe even top 7 pick will boil over and project on to the neverending suckage of the Oilers.

Oil fan can do nothing but shrug their shoulders about their team's suckage (since they aren't actually the ones playing) and are actually at the point where they can only just laugh and shake their heads with the rest of world at their own team... which will further infuriate flames fan.

"Well... at least we get a high pick" will be a sentence, whenever uttered by an Oil fan, that will trigger flames fan somewhere to punch a baby in the face.

...waaaaaaait for it....

"Well... at least we get a high pick" will be a sentence, whenever uttered by an Oil fan, that will trigger flames fan somewhere to punch a baby in the face.

...waaaaaaait for it....

Is that you Will Ferrell, you heartless bastard???

punchbaby_zpsf638140d.gif

No matter what ever happened with the Flames, I would never do such a thing!!!

- Doubt it. Sounded like the Oilers had offers for at least Hemsky but Tambellini thought it was better to not trade anyone away. I still think that was the right move at the time but the losing streak following that cost Tambellini his job.

Sure, easy to say after the fact he felt it better to keep the roster as is. He also said picking up some later round picks wasn't what he was after. If the offer had been anything impressive, he would have made the deal. I wonder if the "pocket dialing" to Hemsky was a deal that fell through?

BTW, you must be the only one who felt that staying pat was the best move at the time.

- Kiprusoff sucked and Oilers are better than the Flames.

- Kiprusoff SUCKED so far this season and is retiring, where's his replacement?

- Pretty much same D-core as last year plus Schultz and Oilers moved up.

- Same goaltenders and the Oilers are improved

- So the Flames are getting their "badge" this year?

- Good call

- Good call again

- Gagner is close to ppg player this year

- Paajarvi had a bounce back season

- Flames future better than the Oilers? Not now and not anywhere near in the future.

- Oilers defence same + Schultz and are not bottom 10. Same goaltenders too.

- Flames have Kipprer and are nowhere close to competitive.

- Oilers have the same goalie tandem as last year and the Oilers have moved up. Flames have the same one and have bottomed out.

- Islanders of the west isn't too bad these days.

- Yeah, look how well the Flames last "re-tool" went.

- Hahahaha look at what the Flames got for Iginla, Bouwmeester and Kiprusoff. Late 1sts, crappy prospects and retirement.

- Oilers management has done a lot better than anticipated, eh?

Well you are correct, they have move up. They can't place last. 

Sure, easy to say after the fact he felt it better to keep the roster as is. He also said picking up some later round picks wasn't what he was after. If the offer had been anything impressive, he would have made the deal. I wonder if the "pocket dialing" to Hemsky was a deal that fell through?

BTW, you must be the only one who felt that staying pat was the best move at the time.

- It would be easy for somebody now to say the Oilers should have traded their assets but at the time, the Oilers were in the playoffs or very close to. If they traded away players for prospects and picks they would have sent the wrong message to the team but it didn't seem to matter much anyway.

- Hemsky and Erat are fairly comparable players and Erat got an A level prospect.

Archived