Louis23

3 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I don't know, if it were me drafting, how do I not take 1st overall every time I get it?

i don't think we have anything to scoff at. It's not like we made the playoffs much more than them. Sure we drafted a bit better, but I think we are being homers and not wanting to believe they're better. 

We would love drafting first overall if we got the chance. We just didn't fully lose on purpose 100%. 

Their biggest flaw was not drafting depth, and maybe not having veteran leadership. They handed the young the keys to Edmonton too early. 

Great post, this is how I see it as well.  MacLowe didn't have a clue how to draft a hockey team.  beyond the slam dunk round one they were nothing short of dismal.  They never once bothered to look at depth, never once bothered to look for grinders.  Bar none, the worst hockey management to ever hit the NHL level.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, bronco73 said:

Great post, this is how I see it as well.  MacLowe didn't have a clue how to draft a hockey team.  beyond the slam dunk round one they were nothing short of dismal.  They never once bothered to look at depth, never once bothered to look for grinders.  Bar none, the worst hockey management to ever hit the NHL level.

And that's what a lot of my fellow Flames fans are talking about, but they don't want to acknowledge that things have changed and that team has gotten better. 

I saw some posts where things went perfect for the Oilers last year, but at the same time, we didn't have any significant injuries to contend with either. What happens if Gaudreau, or Monahan, or both get injured. It's the same with all teams. We're all hooped if we get any big injuries. :) 

12 hours ago, robrob74 said:

And that's what a lot of my fellow Flames fans are talking about, but they don't want to acknowledge that things have changed and that team has gotten better. 

I saw some posts where things went perfect for the Oilers last year, but at the same time, we didn't have any significant injuries to contend with either. What happens if Gaudreau, or Monahan, or both get injured. It's the same with all teams. We're all hooped if we get any big injuries. :) 

Well, Gaudreau did get injured last season with that broken finger, for 10 games. Our record over that time was 6-3-1

48 minutes ago, CalgarySTL said:

Well, Gaudreau did get injured last season with that broken finger, for 10 games. Our record over that time was 6-3-1

Ya, but that coincides with the turnaround in the season. Also, we didn't have any other glaring injuries last year, especially at the same time.

but of course, one guy doesn't make the whole team. 

13 hours ago, robrob74 said:

Difference is depth.  We have it at every position except RW.  Even there we have guys that could step up.  One of the D-men goes down, we have depth to the point that guys that should be playing don't have a spot.  Smith goes down, we have an issue, like every NHL team.  But we aren't quite as reliant on him as the Oilers are on Talbot.  We have Lack who is capable of playing 20 games.  We have backups that could come in.  

The biggest risk is an injury to Monahan or Gaudreau, but they are not the only forwards capable of scoring.  Would hurt, but not nearly as a guy that provides the majority of the offence.

22 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Difference is depth.  We have it at every position except RW.  Even there we have guys that could step up.  One of the D-men goes down, we have depth to the point that guys that should be playing don't have a spot.  Smith goes down, we have an issue, like every NHL team.  But we aren't quite as reliant on him as the Oilers are on Talbot.  We have Lack who is capable of playing 20 games.  We have backups that could come in.  

The biggest risk is an injury to Monahan or Gaudreau, but they are not the only forwards capable of scoring.  Would hurt, but not nearly as a guy that provides the majority of the offence.

I think thats a big difference, I know alot of oilers fans would argue they have depth and the team is great beyond the 1st line, but its not. The guys who did produce outside of mcdavid did alot of that producing on the PP with mcdavid on the ice. Now the flames 3rd line had some struggles last season with even strength scoring and the entire team as a whole could improve at even strength scoring but at this point im more comfortable with the flames depth over the oilers. It seems to me like the oilers middle 6 is a jumble of players right now, and while if they put draisital in the middle things might be better, im not sold on who they play with mcdavid if they put draisital down the middle.

7 hours ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

I think thats a big difference, I know alot of oilers fans would argue they have depth and the team is great beyond the 1st line, but its not. The guys who did produce outside of mcdavid did alot of that producing on the PP with mcdavid on the ice. Now the flames 3rd line had some struggles last season with even strength scoring and the entire team as a whole could improve at even strength scoring but at this point im more comfortable with the flames depth over the oilers. It seems to me like the oilers middle 6 is a jumble of players right now, and while if they put draisital in the middle things might be better, im not sold on who they play with mcdavid if they put draisital down the middle.

I don't think there's a big depth difference myself. They definitely transformed into a size advantage over us. RNH, Lucic, Caggiula, Letestu, Kassian. There's enough scoring depth there.

"What if" McDavid or Talbot get injured. We have the same "What if" scenarios. It's hard for me to sit here and think there is any difference. We're just hoping Smith can be Talbot.

The scariest part, is McDavid is only getting better. We can wile away our time hoping for Cap disaster, but GM's always find a way or a helping hand to loosen the grip.

Savard will never play again, but you can trade him to Toronto, Datsyuk isn't playing here anymore, but you can trade $7.5 owed.

No reason Lucic can't up his value, like Brouwer with us.

I don't like trying to evaluate guys in their 1st year of a trade. It takes time and it's typically emotionally tumultuous. Dougie Hamilton anyone?

I find, as fans, we have to be patient and take a step back from "media reports".

Our latching onto these stories only makes it worse. Once it's popular, nobody will let it go.

On 9/4/2017 at 7:04 PM, robrob74 said:

I don't know, if it were me drafting, how do I not take 1st overall every time I get it?

i don't think we have anything to scoff at. It's not like we made the playoffs much more than them. Sure we drafted a bit better, but I think we are being homers and not wanting to believe they're better. 

We would love drafting first overall if we got the chance. We just didn't fully lose on purpose 100%. 

Their biggest flaw was not drafting depth, and maybe not having veteran leadership. They handed the young the keys to Edmonton too early. 

I can't speak for everyone, but I can honestly tell you at least for myself, that my thoughts on Edmonton are more frustration than joy with regards to their troubles.   Like a dissapointing family member.     As much as I'm a Flames fan, I would gladly cheer for Edmonton if they were deep in the playoffs and the Flames were out, as I did in 2006.   I would welcome a "Battle of Alberta" rivalry of two contending teams.    

Unfortunately, neither are contenders.   And I fear that Edmonton has systemic problems which will likely prevent them from being a contender for many years to come (with or without McDavid).    I would much rather have that healthy rivalry and the occasional "Oilers suck!" post on here, until one Alberta team gets knocked out and it's all "Go Oilers/Flames!" after that.

And to be honest, I have dissapointments with both Alberta teams.  But with the Flames, it's more due to my own high standards for our City.      With the Oilers, it is different.   And I feel bad for the fans, because the only consistent word I can think to describe their organization now, and in the last 10 years, would be "Squander".

That might seem like sour grapes after last year's improvement, but I promise you nothing could be further from the truth.

It upsets me to see how many phenomenal talents and careers they have destroyed, and how many fans they've let down.   And yeah, I wish McDavid was a Flame.   But more than jealousy, it's a feelling of concern and dissapointment as a hockey fan that the Oilers organization will very likely impact his career the same way. 

26 minutes ago, jjgallow said:
On 9/4/2017 at 7:04 PM, robrob74 said:

Their biggest flaw was not drafting depth, and maybe not having veteran leadership. They handed the young the keys to Edmonton too early. .

It upsets me to see how many phenomenal talents and careers they have destroyed, and how many fans they've let down.   And yeah, I wish McDavid was a Flame.   But more than jealousy, it's a feelling of concern and dissapointment as a hockey fan that the Oilers organization will very likely impact his career the same way.

That is funny.  I think McDavid has the same concern.  He signed a big deal to guarantee his monetary future.

He has not committed anything else to the city.  In 5 years, do you think he may see where he is and determine his future?  No, I don't mean he asks to be traded to Toronto.  I mean he demands a trade to a team that is run well.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see the depth in the team.  They have it for the next few years, but after that what is there?  Bear?  Jones? Anyone?  Beuller?  The Flames are constructed in layers, and we have most of the age spead covered.  I don't see it with the Oilers.

On September 4, 2017 at 10:05 PM, bronco73 said:

Yup I do, and no I don't.  Up until last season I thought the Flames had gotten the benefit of calls far more often than the other teams did, but last year (possibly due to Wideman) it did seem like things evened up or even other teams getting benefits of calls... especially in the playoffs.

Thanx Bronco.

19 hours ago, travel_dude said:

That is funny.  I think McDavid has the same concern.  He signed a big deal to guarantee his monetary future.

He has not committed anything else to the city.  In 5 years, do you think he may see where he is and determine his future?  No, I don't mean he asks to be traded to Toronto.  I mean he demands a trade to a team that is run well.

I have to admire McDavid for not pulling a Lindros.    When it would actually have been so much more understandable.   It must be on his mind when he sees what Draisaitl signs for, and as other core players are shipped off.    He's shown that he is loyal with character.    But we all know the Oilers will test that.

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

I have to admire McDavid for not pulling a Lindros.    When it would actually have been so much more understandable.   It must be on his mind when he sees what Draisaitl signs for, and as other core players are shipped off.    He's shown that he is loyal with character.    But we all know the Oilers will test that.

The test on character is when you make the playoffs one year and miss it afterwards.  Two years ago the Flames made it to the 2nd round after a drought of many years.  Many fans were expecting a regression.  It happened.  Nobody bailed.  What happens to the Oilers this season if they fail to make the playoffs?  Supposedly their year for a cup run.  RFA and UFA's might be cheaper to sign, but what happens at the management level?

I don't expect McDavid to bolt.  He will honor his contract.  But if the Oilers revert to being a 2nd tier team, nobody would blame him for asking for a trade.

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

Yes the sky is indeed falling but somehow the oilers play this past monday and then dont play again till saturday, where they play ottawa on the 2nd half of a back to back, so either they will come out guns blazing or flatter then can be.

Pretty slack opening weeks schedule.

Wednesday - host Calgary

Saturday - @ Vancouver  (after 2 full days off)

Monday - host Winnipeg

Saturday - host Ottawa  (after 6 full days off)

Tuesday - host Carolina (after 2 full days off)

Thursday - @ Chicago 

Saturday - @ Philly

Tuesday - @ PITTS (after 2 full days off)

18 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Pretty slack opening weeks schedule.

Wednesday - host Calgary

Saturday - @ Vancouver  (after 2 full days off)

Monday - host Winnipeg

Saturday - host Ottawa  (after 6 full days off)

Tuesday - host Carolina (after 2 full days off)

Thursday - @ Chicago 

Saturday - @ Philly

Tuesday - @ PITTS (after 2 full days off)

It's the perfect recipe for complacency. I love how the pundits predicted the Oilers to win the SC this year, it makes them think they're better than they actually are as if the Cup should be handed to them as opposed to earning it. Cam Talbot is looking like he'll burn out if he plays another 70 games this year. Oilers are always 1 injury away from a derailed season, they need to hope health stays on their side

32 minutes ago, rickross said:

It's the perfect recipe for complacency. I love how the pundits predicted the Oilers to win the SC this year, it makes them think they're better than they actually are as if the Cup should be handed to them as opposed to earning it. Cam Talbot is looking like he'll burn out if he plays another 70 games this year. Oilers are always 1 injury away from a derailed season, they need to hope health stays on their side

Well I hate to pile it on, but they made their choices.  They signed Lucic to be the resident tough guy, but he rarely does anything other than skate around looking for a drive through.  They chose Puljujarvi over a multitude of player they needed;

Chyshrun, Sergachev, McAvoy, even Tkachuk would have be a help to their team.  

This season, they made a choice to stay at 22nd in the draft and draft (another) small forward.  They felt the fan pressure to trade a guy whose worst season was 51 points for a seni-useless C/RW.  And in season, they went back to a loaded top line.

Now Draisaitl has an eye injury and they have to go back to Yammer to be RW on the top line.    

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Well I hate to pile it on, but they made their choices.  They signed Lucic to be the resident tough guy, but he rarely does anything other than skate around looking for a drive through.  They chose Puljujarvi over a multitude of player they needed;

Chyshrun, Sergachev, McAvoy, even Tkachuk would have be a help to their team.  

This season, they made a choice to stay at 22nd in the draft and draft (another) small forward.  They felt the fan pressure to trade a guy whose worst season was 51 points for a seni-useless C/RW.  And in season, they went back to a loaded top line.

Now Draisaitl has an eye injury and they have to go back to Yammer to be RW on the top line.    

Totally agree on Lucic (who was also supposed to replace Hall) & that contract stucture is a boat anchor that nullified the need for the NMC he recieved on top of it.

On Pulujujarvi I disagree. The Oilers could have traded down to fill a position of need but unless a team loves a specific player they figure will still be available & step into the lineup now that seldom happens as the aim of the draft is to stock assets that can be traded to fill needs. Face it, if both Puljajari & Tkachuk had been available @ #6 the Flames most likely would have selected the big Finnish RW to try to fill out the line with Gaudreau & Monahan. Poolparty was drafted in 2016 but remember  Draisaitl took 2 years to get his NHL game ready (& he already had 2 years of Canadian hockey under his belt as opposed to coming straight from Europe).

Trading Eberle was more a cap decision than than fan pressure. A down grade but saved cap & term. Expect the same when they have to trade RNH.

Due to luck (lottery win to get McDavid), a bet that paid off in Talbot & the needed Hall for Larsson trade the Oilers are finally a team that will contend in a very short window. Then the reality of 12.5 & 8.5 combined with Lucic's contract sets in. Which pending UFAs or RFAs can they afford to sign. The pipeline (especially in goal) looks iffy & if the better current players do the less likely the Oilers can pay them. The less wanted 1s will re-sign & Oiler fans will claim it was a home team discount but in the majority of cases those mean the outside bids weren't enough more to make it worth moving.

45 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

On Pulujujarvi I disagree. The Oilers could have traded down to fill a position of need but unless a team loves a specific player they figure will still be available & step into the lineup now that seldom happens as the aim of the draft is to stock assets that can be traded to fill needs. Face it, if both Puljajari & Tkachuk had been available @ #6 the Flames most likely would have selected the big Finnish RW to try to fill out the line with Gaudreau & Monahan. Poolparty was drafted in 2016 but remember  Draisaitl took 2 years to get his NHL game ready (& he already had 2 years of Canadian hockey under his belt as opposed to coming straight from Europe).

IIRC, they were trying to trade to get ahead of the Oilers so they could draft Tkachuk.  Organization need would suggest that we target Poolparty, but I didn't hear a lot of ho-hum when they were still able to get Tkachuk.  By no means am I saying Pooly is a bust.  His NHL readiness is outside the Oilers compete window.  Maybe they thought that the U17 was a sign he was ready.

Of all the players available in the top 10, the only other two I wanted were Matthews and Laine.  We just missed out on that lotto pick.  With Pooly, I feel he's a power forward in the making, but hasn't figured out that part yet.  Maybe I'm wrong.  Just haven't seen the NHL player in him yet.

21 minutes ago, DirtyDeeds said:

Oiler fans are already turning on Talbot. Other than an easy game against us he is saving around .800

There are mumblings already to start playing a former Flame prospect. Hint... LB.

Yes, and he really hasn't played enough to prove he even belongs in the NHL.  A handful of games last year that he started.

On 10/13/2017 at 10:38 AM, travel_dude said:

Seems that's now a concussion suffered @ the hands of the Jets.

With him out & if they turn to an unproven over Talbot they're down to 1 real top ender against an Ottawa team on a high since this western swing.

Something I seldom say as I don't much care for the Sens but for tonight only "Go Sens"!

Archived