Louis23

I've got nothing against Yamamoto, as I think he has skills that make him a possible NHL player.

The Oiler fans are thinking they have the next Johnny Hockey.  Maybe, but his numbers are closer to that of Matt Phillips.

The two are similar age, similar size, and lead their teams in scoring.

Yamamoto probably has the edge in his skating, which their scouting describes as elite.

Two small players that could face each other in the WJC this winter.  

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, jjgallow said:

oilers are toast.   

Chia pet seems to make a habit of over paying on the wrong guys, and making some weird choices. I get that they didnt really have alot of options out there, but I think they had better options then russell. That aside they are actually in a very good place in terms of cap with eberle being going now, the only guy signed long term is lucic,, its going to be an interesting next year for chia as he resigns mcdavid and draisital, trying to get a group built around those two.

10 hours ago, jjgallow said:

oilers are toast.   

They're toast but not burnt toast..their cap troubles will make it a challenge to afford a competitive team for the next few years. I'm still hoping McD and Leon eat up about $20 M of their cap, there's also the chance they hit a wall next season after this years success. Not sure how much longer they can expect Talbot to keep being their workhouse facing so many shots per game and stealing games for them. If you take McD out of last years equation the Oilers don't make the playoffs. They are turning very much into a 2 trick pony...McDavid drives the offence and gets a lot of attention from top pairing D men, Talbot is their rock in net. They lose 1 or both for an extended amount of time and I don't see them winning much at all. Oilers will survive but things will only get harder for them moving forward

1 hour ago, rickross said:

They're toast but not burnt toast..their cap troubles will make it a challenge to afford a competitive team for the next few years. I'm still hoping McD and Leon eat up about $20 M of their cap, there's also the chance they hit a wall next season after this years success. Not sure how much longer they can expect Talbot to keep being their workhouse facing so many shots per game and stealing games for them. If you take McD out of last years equation the Oilers don't make the playoffs. They are turning very much into a 2 trick pony...McDavid drives the offence and gets a lot of attention from top pairing D men, Talbot is their rock in net. They lose 1 or both for an extended amount of time and I don't see them winning much at all. Oilers will survive but things will only get harder for them moving forward

5F, 4D and 1G signed in 2018/19 for $42m.

5 RFA forwards which include Strome, McDavid and Caggiula.

Have to include Draisaitl's salary determined this summer.

Nurse and Benning both RFA's.

Not saying they are screwed, but really they have some big problems ahead.  McD and Drai will chew up close to $20.  The rest to be spend on 7 forwards, 3D, and a backup.  And I thought we were too close to the cap.

Since Chia has few (if any) friends in the circle of GMs the Oilers players are 1s I see as undulated with OS. He just overpaid Kassian in a prevent move but if Draisaitl & his agent wait until July 1 $9-9.8 million OS aren't out of the question (2 1sts, a 2nd & a 3rd) from teams that are border line contenders or better (means mediocre picks). Meet or take mid round picks.

Then next year comes McDavid where the stakes are even higher.

1 hour ago, Flyerfan52 said:

Since Chia has few (if any) friends in the circle of GMs the Oilers players are 1s I see as undulated with OS. He just overpaid Kassian in a prevent move but if Draisaitl & his agent wait until July 1 $9-9.8 million OS aren't out of the question (2 1sts, a 2nd & a 3rd) from teams that are border line contenders or better (means mediocre picks). Meet or take mid round picks.

Then next year comes McDavid where the stakes are even higher.

I don't know why they waited till now to sign Draisaitl.  Could have done it last July 1st and saved a bunch of cash, if only for the short term.  Now they are stuck.  No chance for a bridge deal.  No chance for a value or home-town discount.

54 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I don't know why they waited till now to sign Draisaitl.  Could have done it last July 1st and saved a bunch of cash, if only for the short term.  Now they are stuck.  No chance for a bridge deal.  No chance for a value or home-town discount.

Last year he wasn't as much so they could have had him re-upped long time on the cheap. Funny the difference a year makes.

If Chia was a smart as the Oiler Kool-Aid drinkers think the contract would be long done as they can be done anytime during the season as well. When the upturn was obvious was the time. When it kept getting better the $s kept rising.

As said in the post you quoted I fully expect a GM (Sweeney?) to submit an OS (remember Chia threatened 1 on Hamilton). Either get the player or mess with the cap space.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Takes 2...

why would Draisaitl negotiate when he had no leverage? That would make no sense. That's like asking why didn't the Flames re-up Monahan the year before he was an RFA, or Johhny etc.

10 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Takes 2...

why would Draisaitl negotiate when he had no leverage? That would make no sense. That's like asking why didn't the Flames re-up Monahan the year before he was an RFA, or Johhny etc.

I get that.  The only leverage he has this year is a great season, but it could have gone differently.  

As it stands now, they have to sign him prior to July 1st to avoid a possible OS.  But they need to know exactly what the McDavid deal will cost.  And they have made McDavid's deal the priority.

Klefbom signed an extension before he needed to.  Maybe Drai didn't want to sign last summer, but his previous season also made committing to a deal that much more risky for Chia.  There wasn't even any mention of trying to extend.  Chia is more in the press about things like that than BT is.

On 26/06/2017 at 2:25 PM, travel_dude said:

They will always struggle signing players.

And ....likely....they'll manage to stay under the cap...by dismantling.   Losing Eberle is a huge blow.  Huge.

What they bring in, they'll overpay for.   And when overpaying doesn't work, they'll lose talent.

It is their way.

4 hours ago, jjgallow said:

They will always struggle signing players.

And ....likely....they'll manage to stay under the cap...by dismantling.   Losing Eberle is a huge blow.  Huge.

What they bring in, they'll overpay for.   And when overpaying doesn't work, they'll lose talent.

It is their way.

I have long thought that Eberle underperformed given his contract. Of course, you cannot really blame a player when that happens. You could pay me $20 million dollars and I will never be able to score 30 goals in the NHL. Money cannot incentivize a player beyond his abilities. This was the GM's fault.

I have spoken to a few Oiler fans who are pretty choked about this trade. Some were frustrated by his play, but it sounds like he had a pretty solid core of fans. I wonder if Chia understood that.

3 hours ago, Cowtownguy said:

I have long thought that Eberle underperformed given his contract. Of course, you cannot really blame a player when that happens. You could pay me $20 million dollars and I will never be able to score 30 goals in the NHL. Money cannot incentivize a player beyond his abilities. This was the GM's fault.

I have spoken to a few Oiler fans who are pretty choked about this trade. Some were frustrated by his play, but it sounds like he had a pretty solid core of fans. I wonder if Chia understood that.

The problem with having two stars (McD and Drai) is that is kills your ability to ice a normal team.  Two players account for a quarter of your entire cap.  Now they has a top 4 quad locked up long term.  Over half (41m) the cap for 6 players and a goalie, followed by Lucic and Nuge for anoth 12.  $53m for 9 players.  

I get PO'd at what we paid for Brouwer, or how much our 4th line costs, and even what Gio will earn in the final years of his deal.  Then I realize it will get better not worse.  

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

So it sounds like Mcdavid is looking at an 8-year extension worth $13.25-mil aav.  

Nice.  I was worried he'd sign for $8 or $9-mil-per.

I was hoping his agent would go full rocket to the max. Make sure they lack funds for the skate sharpener! And then they need to work on a deal for ego #2. How many Oiler fans are praising the Lucic deal now? How many really think we overpaid for Hamonic, and see no value in Foo? Sucks to be a greaser.

Quenneville stormed out of a team meeting after Panarin was traded and was absent from the draft on Friday. Can you really blame him? Two contracts are cannibalizing their team. Under amazing GM magic and incredible coaching, they swung a couple of cups. Toews and Kane are unique players (emphasis on Toews). Chicago may be coming apart now. Ovechkin has never won a cup in Washington. If I am Draisaitl, I want $10 million, or else. We all know how that story goes. Apart from the exceptional Chicago example (I don't think LA is quite comparable), I don't think teams fare well for long when individual players absorb that much of the revenue. Chia is no Stan (and let's face it, Scotty) Bowman, McLellan is no Q, and I am not sure what McJesus brings to the table in terms of real leadership. The Oilers had to pay him. I think it will cause a mess and the cup is not guaranteed. Even if they win it, is it worth the hangover afterwards?

Word has it that Chia's favourite drink is Everclear and Metamucil. 

1 hour ago, Cowtownguy said:

I was hoping his agent would go full rocket to the max. Make sure they lack funds for the skate sharpener! And then they need to work on a deal for ego #2. How many Oiler fans are praising the Lucic deal now? How many really think we overpaid for Hamonic, and see no value in Foo? Sucks to be a greaser.

I think McDavid gets pressured from his NHLPA pals to make league maximum since he's the best player in the NHL, the others will be measured off his contract.

With the cap being $75-mil and 20% is the max ($15-mil), I guess McDavid took a hometown discount of $1.75-mil-per.  what a great guy...

Just now, The_People1 said:

I think McDavid gets pressured from his NHLPA pals to make league maximum since he's the best player in the NHL, the others will be measured off his contract.

With the cap being $75-mil and 20% is the max ($15-mil), I guess McDavid took a hometown discount of $1.75-mil-per.  what a great guy...

I was thinking the same thing. I mean, he could still demand a trade if things don't work out. For the next eight years McDavid and/or his agent can remind Chia about that $1.75 million discount. I wonder how much Talbot is going to expect/demand?

You knew this was going to be the number though. It's the cost of doing business and Edmonton paid him what they needed to but at least got him locked up for as long as he can so you don't have to worry about him utilizing UFA as leverage. The deal is market value. 

People forget this is basically the same percentage that guys like Ovi, Crosby, Malkin etc signed for when they could (have to account for the fact that some have now illegal contracts). McDaivd is in that class so he got paid according to his class. will Sucks for a few years but if cap keeps going up Oilers will be just fine in a few years. 8 years of an elite player is not exactly something that should get brushed aside. 

46 minutes ago, cross16 said:

You knew this was going to be the number though. It's the cost of doing business and Edmonton paid him what they needed to but at least got him locked up for as long as he can so you don't have to worry about him utilizing UFA as leverage. The deal is market value. 

People forget this is basically the same percentage that guys like Ovi, Crosby, Malkin etc signed for when they could (have to account for the fact that some have now illegal contracts). McDaivd is in that class so he got paid according to his class. will Sucks for a few years but if cap keeps going up Oilers will be just fine in a few years. 8 years of an elite player is not exactly something that should get brushed aside. 

I did not forget that McDavid's salary as a percentage of the cap is similar to others. Actually, OV was paid at a slightly higher rate than McDavid. One difference, however, is that the Oilers don't just have one player who is paid bank, they have won the draft lottery several times and there are a lot of other players to be highly paid. They already pay RNH a ransom. As I said, Draisaitl is going to want Toews money more or less next year. Talbot is not going to stay pat at $4 million if they go deep next year. Lucic, well, need I say more?

So, I contest your conclusion that they will be fine in a few years. There are already signs that it is unravelling. They just ditched their third best scorer for a total loser to save money. Surely, you do not think it a good idea to trade Backlund for a Strome to save money to give to Johnny. They will keep McDavid, but they are going to have to manage salaries and demands from other players. 

9 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

I did not forget that McDavid's salary as a percentage of the cap is similar to others. Actually, OV was paid at a slightly higher rate than McDavid. One difference, however, is that the Oilers don't just have one player who is paid bank, they have won the draft lottery several times and there are a lot of other players to be highly paid. They already pay RNH a ransom. As I said, Draisaitl is going to want Toews money more or less next year. Talbot is not going to stay pat at $4 million if they go deep next year. Lucic, well, need I say more?

So, I contest your conclusion that they will be fine in a few years. There are already signs that it is unravelling. They just ditched their third best scorer for a total loser to save money. Surely, you do not think it a good idea to trade Backlund for a Strome to save money to give to Johnny. They will keep McDavid, but they are going to have to manage salaries and demands from other players. 

I just can't see anyone deserving Toews/Kane money. I get that he probably deserves it, but for me those kinds of salaries should be saved for players that win you cups. But that's probably just me. 
I wouldn't pay Draisaitl more than 6.5... But that's probably just me. Is he propped up by McDavid? Does that count? Is he someone who pushes the Oilers to contender status?

PS, 
I am not questioning you and your reasoning. I am just someone who wants to keep teams competitive. It's a new game with the Cap and it's intended to keep teams from overpaying, or accumulating all of the NHL's talent.

5 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I just can't see anyone deserving Toews/Kane money. I get that he probably deserves it, but for me those kinds of salaries should be saved for players that win you cups. But that's probably just me. 
I wouldn't pay Draisaitl more than 6.5... But that's probably just me. Is he propped up by McDavid? Does that count? Is he someone who pushes the Oilers to contender status?

PS, 
I am not questioning you and your reasoning. I am just someone who wants to keep teams competitive. It's a new game with the Cap and it's intended to keep teams from overpaying, or accumulating all of the NHL's talent.

You might be correct. My point is that Chia has to win now. The clock is ticking. Chia basically gave McDavid whatever he wanted in exchange for term. How does he deal with Draisaitl? Can he afford to turn the screws on him given that time is so pressing? Chia claimed that he cleared cap room for Draisaitl in case some team offer sheets him. If I am his agent, I am thinking I want bank after that idiotic comment. I would say Draisaitl is worth $6-$6.5 million according to market value. We are not talking about market value though, we are talking about how important he is to the Oilers right now. I feel confident that his agent has a solid negotiating strategy in place. Regardless, the Oil are going for broke figuratively and literally.

2 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

You might be correct. My point is that Chia has to win now. The clock is ticking. Chia basically gave McDavid whatever he wanted in exchange for term. How does he deal with Draisaitl? Can he afford to turn the screws on him given that time is so pressing? Chia claimed that he cleared cap room for Draisaitl in case some team offer sheets him. If I am his agent, I am thinking I want bank after that idiotic comment. I would say Draisaitl is worth $6-$6.5 million according to market value. We are not talking about market value though, we are talking about how important he is to the Oilers right now. I feel confident that his agent has a solid negotiating strategy in place. Regardless, the Oil are going for broke figuratively and literally.

It's such an unfortunate/fortunate set of events for the Oilers. LOL... If he was drafted a few years before Mc David, he'd definitely only get the 6-6.5. That Lucic deal sure hinders their future, much like I kind of worry about it with Brouwer. A bit less, but who brings more? Brouwer or Lucic?

1 minute ago, robrob74 said:

It's such an unfortunate/fortunate set of events for the Oilers. LOL... If he was drafted a few years before Mc David, he'd definitely only get the 6-6.5. That Lucic deal sure hinders their future, much like I kind of worry about it with Brouwer. A bit less, but who brings more? Brouwer or Lucic?

I don't think that they expected Draisaitl to have such a good year and be in a position to push for a better contract. We will see what happens I guess. If Brouwer doesn't pony up, it will be a problem. I think he may turn it around next year. I believe that Brouwer earns 4 or 4.5 compared to Lucic at 6, no? Both have been disappointments. 

Archived