Louis23

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Some interesting links with Yak to St Loo. Army is from Sarnia where Yak played jr. The potential of Tarasenko to show Yak what it takes from a fellow countryman and a league star.

The Blues needed another RW for 3rd line behind Steen and Tara, so I can understand why they'll try him.

Should be interesting.

In some ways, having a defensively minded team already helps fit in Yak.  He doesn't have to make up for the lack of defense.  He can just go out there and try to score.  Until Hitch starts to question his play.  Then he will get less ice time.  If he scores, then he will get a little bit of a pass.  Not much though.  Tarasenko only got so much of one.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

In some ways, having a defensively minded team already helps fit in Yak.  He doesn't have to make up for the lack of defense.  He can just go out there and try to score.  Until Hitch starts to question his play.  Then he will get less ice time.  If he scores, then he will get a little bit of a pass.  Not much though.  Tarasenko only got so much of one.

I've always felt Yakupov is always trying to play ahead of the game. You mentioned Kruger earlier and I agree. Hitch should be good too. Yak is fast as boarding and has good feet, but he has to learn how to let the pace come to him, because he's always running on too fast decisions. He's fast, but he has to slow it down and read the pace better, rather than try to dictate it.

30 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I've always felt Yakupov is always trying to play ahead of the game. You mentioned Kruger earlier and I agree. Hitch should be good too. Yak is fast as boarding and has good feet, but he has to learn how to let the pace come to him, because he's always running on too fast decisions. He's fast, but he has to slow it down and read the pace better, rather than try to dictate it.

That's why I think he will actually be pk in STL.  Hitch will probably point out those mental mistakes.  He can give the finger to Chia when he score 14g and 50a.  

3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

That's why I think he will actually be pk in STL.  Hitch will probably point out those mental mistakes.  He can give the finger to Chia when he score 14g and 50a.  

The thing about well managed teams, is they can afford patience. They have alternatives. St Loo expected Sobotka back, didn't expect Rattie concussed.

Yakupov isn't getting a sweet seat, 3rd RW if he earns it.

Trading Yak for so little is a gutsy move considering the Oilers do not have cap problems.  I would've hung onto him for the season and inflated his stats on McDavid's line before casting him away.  He would get back more than a 3rd rounder.  

But in the end, it's a move that should be made.  You've got Eberle and Puljujarvi manning the top 2 RW spots for the future. Yakupov had become needless.  Still, they got so little for him i thought they should've just kept him.

10 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Trading Yak for so little is a gutsy move considering the Oilers do not have cap problems.  I would've hung onto him for the season and inflated his stats on McDavid's line before casting him away.  He would get back more than a 3rd rounder.  

But in the end, it's a move that should be made.  You've got Eberle and Puljujarvi manning the top 2 RW spots for the future. Yakupov had become needless.  Still, they got so little for him i thought they should've just kept him.

Chia made it sound like he was giving Yak a fresh start, instead of ridding the team of him.  Chia wants a McDavid team and nobody else is going to be allowed to have any opinions.  Hitch has said that they are going to use his strengths now, build on them, and worry about teaching defense later.  He said that is an easy thing to coach.  And they have patience.  

7 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Sounds like RNH will man the 2nd line with Draisatl on the wing.

Much as I suspected.

Loading up or giving a spot to Caligua.  JK, it's Caggiula.

This may change if Poolparty gets sent down.  You may see Draisaitl manning the 3rd line.  As far as I have seen Poolparty has done nothing in pre-season.  Does not look ready at all.

3 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I had friends warning(telling) me about Caggiula when the oil signed him.

Sounds like a good 'er.

Most teams were trying to sign him.  Was a college standout, but who knows what that means.  Good in the pre-season against mostly AHL teams.  

7 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Chia made it sound like he was giving Yak a fresh start, instead of ridding the team of him.  Chia wants a McDavid team and nobody else is going to be allowed to have any opinions.  Hitch has said that they are going to use his strengths now, build on them, and worry about teaching defense later.  He said that is an easy thing to coach.  And they have patience.  

Chiarelli is one heck of a humanitarian, isn't he?

Yakupov lacks hockey sense.  I see him swiveling around in the defensive zone wondering who his man is.  On offense, he doesn't seem to know how to use his linemates. 

The Blues didn't pay very much to get him though.  If Hitchcock can get 30 points out of him along with a +/- that's close to sea level, I'd call that trade a win. 

29 minutes ago, StarkRaving said:

Chiarelli is one heck of a humanitarian, isn't he?

Yakupov lacks hockey sense.  I see him swiveling around in the defensive zone wondering who his man is.  On offense, he doesn't seem to know how to use his linemates. 

The Blues didn't pay very much to get him though.  If Hitchcock can get 30 points out of him along with a +/- that's close to sea level, I'd call that trade a win. 

That's just it, nobody coached him in the NHL. How many years have the Oilers had a free pass? Yakupov probably needs some structure which Hitchcock can give him. 

48 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

That's just it, nobody coached him in the NHL. How many years have the Oilers had a free pass? Yakupov probably needs some structure which Hitchcock can give him. 

Hall and Eberle are two prime examples of players that never had to play a two way game.  Never need to finish a check.

15 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Hall and Eberle are two prime examples of players that never had to play a two way game.  Never need to finish a check.

And now the Oilers got how much for two 1st overall selections because of that? 

I would hate to be an Oilers fan. They do still have McDavid though. 

4 hours ago, robrob74 said:

And now the Oilers got how much for two 1st overall selections because of that? 

I would hate to be an Oilers fan. They do still have McDavid though. 

They should remane the 5th season Poler Season, since it's when they remain unbeaten and have so much promise for the coming season.  

Pulju, Callguila, Lucic, Draisaitl, Larsson, Klefbom, Russell... It never seems to happen, even with ome of the good moves they make.  It looks like Pulju is being gifted a spot right out of camp, even though he was invisible.

Rinse and repeat.

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

Is Puljujarvi coming off an injury/surgery? 

Are the oilers run as bad as the Islanders were for that decade or two they were so bad? Until they got Tavares?

He was, but played in the Young Stars tourney, as well against the UofA team.  He was a standout there.

Getting rid of Hall and Yakupov, and bringing in McDavid and Lucic should improve the Oilers. Of course, they cannot really deteriorate much further. I wonder, however, if it will take considerably more to eradicate the negative thinking in that dressing room. That kind of stench takes more than Febreeze to get out (You think your hockey team is just fine, but others smell Oilers [insert picture of Semenko here]). 

23 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

Getting rid of Hall and Yakupov, and bringing in McDavid and Lucic should improve the Oilers. Of course, they cannot really deteriorate much further. I wonder, however, if it will take considerably more to eradicate the negative thinking in that dressing room. That kind of stench takes more than Febreeze to get out (You think your hockey team is just fine, but others smell Oilers [insert picture of Semenko here]). 

Their #3 center is Callgiula and #3RW is Pulju.  Callgiula had a decent camp against AHL calibre players.  Pulju didn't even shine in that environment.  Yes, they have McDavid for possibly a full season, and have Lucic.  They have Larsson and Russell.

Their defensive scoring was not addressed and they signed a backup goalie that was not very good.  

I don't know that I would say they have a better team today.  Maybe down the road, but not today.

25 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Their #3 center is Callgiula and #3RW is Pulju.  Callgiula had a decent camp against AHL calibre players.  Pulju didn't even shine in that environment.  Yes, they have McDavid for possibly a full season, and have Lucic.  They have Larsson and Russell.

Their defensive scoring was not addressed and they signed a backup goalie that was not very good.  

I don't know that I would say they have a better team today.  Maybe down the road, but not today.

Not so sure, did you see that announced? I might have missed it. I'm just not positive RNH will center Draisatl as I was a few days ago. I noticed a write up today that Pulju and Maroon will flank an unnamed C, so thought potentially RNH and Draisatl are still battling.

There is little doubt in my mind Lucic-McDavid-Eberle is going to be a solid 1st line though. Just wonder, as they talk about so much with Crosby, will it be that easy to play with McDavid?

Laine and Puljujarvi, I'm finally going to weigh in. Can they hope to be as good as the hype? Dubois was 4th lining in Columbus last I heard with a strong potential to return to the Q.

18 yo kids have potentials to be great, they get hyped into hysteria and then it becomes expectation.

I boardinging hate that.

Adults destroying kids. If Laine scores 3 goals in 25 games, is it "disappointing".

Cheers to coaching staffs and mgmt that get that. Let's find out who this year's lucky winners are from mgmt.

26 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Not so sure, did you see that announced? I might have missed it. I'm just not positive RNH will center Draisatl as I was a few days ago. I noticed a write up today that Pulju and Maroon will flank an unnamed C, so thought potentially RNH and Draisatl are still battling.

There is little doubt in my mind Lucic-McDavid-Eberle is going to be a solid 1st line though. Just wonder, as they talk about so much with Crosby, will it be that easy to play with McDavid?

Laine and Puljujarvi, I'm finally going to weigh in. Can they hope to be as good as the hype? Dubois was 4th lining in Columbus last I heard with a strong potential to return to the Q.

18 yo kids have potentials to be great, they get hyped into hysteria and then it becomes expectation.

I boardinging hate that.

Adults destroying kids. If Laine scores 3 goals in 25 games, is it "disappointing".

Cheers to coaching staffs and mgmt that get that. Let's find out who this year's lucky winners are from mgmt.

The last projected lines I saw was:

Lucic-McDavid-Eberle

Pouliot-Nuge-Draisaitl

Maroon-Caggiula-Poolparty

Pitlick-Letestu-Kassian

Klefbom-Larsson

Russell-Sekera  (Think Russell is playing RD).

Nurse-Davidson

The top two lines are the big story for this team.  That 3rd line is so much hype and a solid, but unspectacular winger.  From what I have seen of them, they would be better off with Draisaitl as a center.

4 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I actually quite enjoyed the World Cup of Hockey, in part, because Crosby was so exciting to watch for a change. Bergeron and Marchand could skate with him and read him well. Sometimes, it is frustrating to watch talent constantly fizzle during plays because "they don't have the right guy playing beside him."

32 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

I can't wait to see how the Oilers manage to blow it this year.   

Each year, it seems even more impossible, and each year, they defy all odds.

Well they are storing gas next to a burning candle.  Expect the expected.

They attempted to fix one part of the roster, and are really just rolling the dice on the others.  

Larsson as a defender - solid pickup.  Cost was their top scoring forward.  No problem, McDavid will get 100 points.

Russel to solidify the defense and add a vet presence - good idea, but they are full of LHS.

What about offense from the blueline - Russell signing.

Lineup depth.

Sign Callgiula - solid signing if he can make the transition to the NHL after having one good season at UND.  Risky #3 center otherwise.

Draft Puljujarvi - good move for the future.  Did not look ready for the NHL in pre-season.

Sign Locic - big player to protect McDavid and score tap in goals.  Good signing if he can connect with McDavid.

Backup situation - sign a has been goalie to replace a has been goalie.

Archived