Louis23

Personally I just think you only like what you want to hear.

Face it the Flames suck, not as bad as the Oilers but almost.

As for JH you made my argument. Home team matchups shut him right down.

And what are you talking about in 3 years Lucic will hurt the Oilers. Who cares things change the team filled needs, solid defense brought in and arguably the best power forward in the league.

And one more thing, the Flames dominated, right. Here and now you won 3 we won 2. Lets see what happens this year.

Nice try. Deeds summed it up for you fully gift wrapped. Don't be dumb, they damn near implemented the "Oiler's rule" to the draft...like seriously considered it because the Oilers have been such a laughing stock franchise for so long. Their own fans booed them live on CBC Hockey Night in Canada. Hall is gone because of all the losing. The list of fails goes on and on.

Flames have had much greater success in a much shorter period of time with their rebuild than the Oilers. It's a simple fact. There's no point trying to pretend the Oilers have been even remotely good. That final BOA at Rexall was your barometer to measure where these 2 teams are at in their rebuild. Other than fluking out and landing McDdavid and getting the new arena the Oiler faithful have nothing to happy about the last 10 years.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's something ironic , I'll give the Oilers this...they were one of the 1st to adopt the speed/skill philosophy. They did that via the draft and failed to develop their prospects within a winning culture and are now paying the price.

Fast forward to today and they've reversed that with bigger and slower additions in Maroon, Kassian and Lucic. This at a time when the league is focusing on speed, mobility and skill.

Here's something ironic , I'll give the Oilers this...they were one of the 1st to adopt the speed/skill philosophy. They did that via the draft and failed to develop their prospects within a winning culture and are now paying the price.

Fast forward to today and they've reversed that with bigger and slower additions in Maroon, Kassian and Lucic. This at a time when the league is focusing on speed, mobility and skill.

I think you are giving them too much credit.  The only players that they drafted that ever made a mark on the Oilers were 1st rounders.  Davidson is a late pick but still just developing.  Lander is a fringe player.

And they traded away players that actually now have NHL careers; Brodziak, Stoll, Reider, Cogliano, Petry, Marincin, etc.

I think you are giving them too much credit. The only players that they drafted that ever made a mark on the Oilers were 1st rounders. Davidson is a late pick but still just developing. Lander is a fringe player.

And they traded away players that actually now have NHL careers; Brodziak, Stoll, Reider, Cogliano, Petry, Marincin, etc.

Let's not get crazy here! Lol! I'm not giving them credit for their draft record but just their thinking to draft speed and skill starting years ago. They had the foresight to see that skill and speed were where the game was evolving but they failed to balance/compliment those types of players. Oilers have an embarrassingly poor draft record, trust me I'm not giving them any credit on how they've managed, developped or drafted their players.

Let's not get crazy here! Lol! I'm not giving them credit for their draft record but just their thinking to draft speed and skill starting years ago. They had the foresight to see that skill and speed were where the game was evolving but they failed to balance/compliment those types of players. Oilers have an embarrassingly poor draft record, trust me I'm not giving them any credit on how they've managed, developped or drafted their players.

Saying they had foresight years ago is a joke.  

In the first round they went BPA.  

Cogliano (25) was a small skilled guy.  As was Gagne (6).  Eberle is smallish (5-11).

After that:

Paajarvi (10) Lander (40) - neither small

Hall (1) Pitlick (31) - neither small

Yakupov (1) Moroz (32) - only Yak is small

When exactly do you think they had foresight into the future of the NHL?  Seems to me they mostly drafted according to BPA.  Pretty easy to draft Yak and Nuge and say they drafted skill, when they were both ranked #1,

Hemsky was a speedy skilled guy too.

They had good parts and a speed skill game. I agree with Rickross, they were one do adopt a speed game, but after they made the finals that one year, like us they didn't follow it up.

I think we are getting ahead of ourselves. We're are a defensemen or two better than the oilers. Also, they were a little ahead in the goaltending last year. This year will be different.

I'm a year or two, not including this next season, they could be better than us. Nurse could develop further as could Larsson.

Right now we are a soft D team. Until we prove otherwise, I am not willing to change my stance on how soft a team we've been.

Teams are afraid of the worker mentality, but they are now ready for it.

I am not defending the oilers drafting, ours is only slightly better, and like JJ others have said, the drafting of Monahan and Bennett are no brainers. We hit on a few others outside of the 1st but no world beaters other than Gaudreau. Brodie was good too. I just want us to make that next step and developing gets a bit better. It'll happen.

Saying they had foresight years ago is a joke.

In the first round they went BPA.

Cogliano (25) was a small skilled guy. As was Gagne (6). Eberle is smallish (5-11).

After that:

Paajarvi (10) Lander (40) - neither small

Hall (1) Pitlick (31) - neither small

Yakupov (1) Moroz (32) - only Yak is small

When exactly do you think they had foresight into the future of the NHL? Seems to me they mostly drafted according to BPA. Pretty easy to draft Yak and Nuge and say they drafted skill, when they were both ranked #1,

Ebs, Hall, Nuge, Gagne, Cogs, Yak are all skill/speed players. That was their core for sometime. After Chicago won their cup the mentality shifted back to speed and skill up front, and defensive mobility. Bos and LA came around and added grit and size on top of skill back into the fold. Pitt wins again and everyone is back to speed and skill. The problem with the Oilers is yes they drafted mainly by default in the 1st rounds. They just happened to over compensate with smaller skilled forwards for too long. At the time they thought they were drafting the right pieces for the future NHL but now u see them scrambling to find size and D to balance them out

Skilled size and skilled D with size are the hardest to find, on top of that, so are skilled Cs with size. They still drafted BPA and that's what they got.

If they drafted for need they would've gotten Murray in that draft year. Oilers prove how vital it is to luck out or draft well past the 1st round.

We've had our share of misses over the years. It's just they missed almost every time.

So when the Oilers have their development camp scrimmages, do both teams lose, or how does that work?

Lol...indeed they're being taught how to do everything possible to lose games. After 5 cups the Oilers have decided the true winner is a Draft winner. 4 out 7 Draft cups they have now...it's an impressive dynasty!

• 2 months later...

It will be interesting to see how the Oilers fare this season. McDavid will undoubtedly carry this team and really make his mark in the NHL this year. I think an issue for them will be the team simply reacting to McDavid, he's such a cerebral player and you can tell he's many steps ahead of the other players on the ice that many will not be able to keep up with his play. When their systems break down I can see the team just defaulting to McDavid , and just expecting him to create the plays. Well see how they can adjust to his dynamism but I can see them becoming over reliant on the kid. 

20 minutes ago, rickross said:

It will be interesting to see how the Oilers fare this season. McDavid will undoubtedly carry this team and really make his mark in the NHL this year. I think an issue for them will be the team simply reacting to McDavid, he's such a cerebral player and you can tell he's many steps ahead of the other players on the ice that many will not be able to keep up with his play. When their systems break down I can see the team just defaulting to McDavid , and just expecting him to create the plays. Well see how they can adjust to his dynamism but I can see them becoming over reliant on the kid. 

Yep, team not individual. Not saying McD is selfish, just that he can't be the whole team. His teammates can't put it all on him. I think they'll be better, but they've been a mess for so long that I really don't see playoffs.

I think the Oilers have enough talent to hang with McDavid. Their top end talent really isn't the problem its their depth and its not like McDavid is a selfish player, he makes others around him better.

Problem I have with the Oilers is a re curring theme, their 3/4 lines are not NHL calibre, nor is half of their defence. I think they are better but it would take some insane development of some young kids for them to make the playoffs. 

9 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

Oilers traded Yakupov for very little today. I get wanting to just end the nightmare of picks not producing, but an ECHL player and a 3rd round pick? I would not be surprised if he turned it around given the right environment. 

Conditional 3rd becomes 2nd if he scores 15g this year,  They can just hold him back when he gets to 14. :)

Here's the bigger scoop.  Russell $3.1m for a one year deal.

$3.1M for Kris Russell...  <shakes his head sadly>  There were rumours that the Flames were after him, and my personal ceiling for his services was about $1.1M.  At that price, I still would've had strong misgivings.

Chiarelli is one of my top three favourite GMs, along with Benning and Sweeney.  :rolleyes:

I think if you've watched Yakupov at all you aren't surprised at this return. I actually am surprised the Oilers got a shot to get a 2nd for him. He had no hockey sense and a poor work ethic. I won't be surprised if he turns into a capable  NHLer but he won't reach the levels you would expect out of a first overall. 

Oilers were right to make this move. Best to move on no matter the return. 

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

I think if you've watched Yakupov at all you aren't surprised at this return. I actually am surprised the Oilers got a shot to get a 2nd for him. He had no hockey sense and a poor work ethic. I won't be surprised if he turns into a capable  NHLer but he won't reach the levels you would expect out of a first overall. 

Oilers were right to make this move. Best to move on no matter the return. 

It's funny how many of the Oiler first round picks have questionable work ethic.  Hall liked to skate off the ice as soon as the puck was overturned on a rush.  Many Oiler fans believed he was part of the problem.  Eberle is all about fancy plays and scoring, not so much about trying to get the puck back.  Yak with his on way play for most of his years.

Yak should have been dealt with early in his career by a coach that could figure him out.  Kruger probably would have had success with him, but you know the story there.

Oilers have made some big upgrades everywhere but goaltending. They will be much tougher to play against this season.

Russell will be a nice upgrade for their defense. They still have a weak D but will be much improved.

Lucic will make this top line tougher and I think will not let the team fade facing adversity.

McJesus for a full season will make a big difference, if he can stay healthy... if

Yak  gone will make little difference.. He had tuned out the Oilers a few years ago. If he does not put in the effort for Ken Hitchcock then he will not get any ice time and fade away.

Some interesting links with Yak to St Loo. Army is from Sarnia where Yak played jr. The potential of Tarasenko to show Yak what it takes from a fellow countryman and a league star.

The Blues needed another RW for 3rd line behind Steen and Tara, so I can understand why they'll try him.

Should be interesting.

Archived