Louis23

He better be careful he doesn't embarrass his GM and decision makers. These rants only devalue what assets they are trying to salvage. He more or less called out every player on his team noting the specialty units, 5 on 5, even strength, face-offs, etc.

BH motivates his players with ice time and line mates. Let’s see how TM motivates his players on game 81 after a bag skate. TM needs to take ownership of his team, their play is a reflection of him and his message. He needs to stop pointing fingers and using the past as an excuse for poor play. I’m not saying his players get a pass by any means, I just don’t like his style of airing his dirty laundry in front of the cameras every week, that’s the sign of a desperate coach already.

And yet Bob Hartley has managed to "motivate" the flames to only 5 points behind the Oilers...

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He better be careful he doesn't embarrass his GM and decision makers.  These rants only devalue what assets they are trying to salvage.  He more or less called out every player on his team noting the specialty units, 5 on 5, even strength, face-offs, etc.

BH motivates his players with ice time and line mates.  Let’s see how TM motivates his players on game 81 after a bag skate.  TM needs to take ownership of his team, their play is a reflection of him and his message.  He needs to stop pointing fingers and using the past as an excuse for poor play.  I’m not saying his players get a pass by any means, I just don’t like his style of airing his dirty laundry in front of the cameras every week, that’s the sign of a desperate coach already.

In TM's mind, I think he thinks calling them out will make them improve, which will improve the value. The problem is the Oiler players are so used to being embarrassed, that it doesn't faze a lot of them anymore.

Any other organization, I think you're right. This is something exceptional though. 8(?) coaches in 7 years. Did any of them rip their players so bad? TM has to do something different and something drastic. There is no other way to get through.

Slightly off subject, but for an expansion draft, should a team only be allowed to protect so many #1 OA picks?

He better be careful he doesn't embarrass his GM and decision makers.  These rants only devalue what assets they are trying to salvage.  He more or less called out every player on his team noting the specialty units, 5 on 5, even strength, face-offs, etc.

BH motivates his players with ice time and line mates.  Let’s see how TM motivates his players on game 81 after a bag skate.  TM needs to take ownership of his team, their play is a reflection of him and his message.  He needs to stop pointing fingers and using the past as an excuse for poor play.  I’m not saying his players get a pass by any means, I just don’t like his style of airing his dirty laundry in front of the cameras every week, that’s the sign of a desperate coach already.

If they fired the coach for speaking his mind, they have bigger problems.  As somebody said, if you don't think the coach is talking about you, then YOU are a problem. I don't think they would have any more value without the coaching saying something.  The league all knows what they are.  The media does.  The fans do too.  They showed no pride in their building, their franchise, their former "dynasty".  They were a disgrace to the BOA.

Final Rexal/Skyreach/Northlands game tonight.  Let the beatdown by the Nucks begin.  Hope to see another 5-0 loss to add to the stink left there Saturday night.

Actually, a 1-0 Shootout win for the Nucks would be good too.  Would hurt the Tanknation.

Nucks are on a bit of a roll..... Went into Cali and won all their games there and beat LA again just the other night........ won something like 3 in a row ...

Nucks are on a bit of a roll..... Went into Cali and won all their games there and beat LA again just the other night........ won something like 3 in a row ...

That's a tough 1 to decide who I'd rather have win. Oilers I guess to mess up draft plans.

3 games tonight & another concerns the sewer. BJs vs Laughs. 1 walks out with points management doesn't want.

3rd matters for the wildcard. Of course I want the Flyers to end Detroit's run of playoff appearances & get @ least 1 round for pride.

That's a tough 1 to decide who I'd rather have win. Oilers I guess to mess up draft plans.

3 games tonight & another concerns the sewer. BJs vs Laughs. 1 walks out with points management doesn't want.

3rd matters for the wildcard. Of course I want the Flyers to end Detroit's run of playoff appearances & get @ least 1 round for pride.

It's between Boston, Philly and Detroit.  Philly wins tonight, and Detroit drops from 3rd to outside looking in, with Boston taking over 3rd due to ROW.

As far as the Oilers and Nucks go, having them both mess up their odds works for me.  Let Van-city win in OT/SO tonight and lose to the Oiler in OT/SO on Saturday.  A fitting end to both loser teams.  

Whatever helps the Oilers lose out on all the lotto picks.  Let them be drafting 4th overall and see who Chiapet chooses.  The Leafs are so far away from being a contender.  The BJ's actually deserve a 1st overall more than TO or EDM does.  

I'm wishing for Vancouver to win both games against Edmonton and lose to Calgary in OT.

Columbus can beat Toronto and maybe Buffalo, Chicago may just give them the last game if they can't catch St. Louis.

At that point, the Flames would finish 3rd last, and I'd trust the hockey lotto gods to mess up the Oilers & Leafs plans.

Oilers are past Jersey throwing I think. They are entering ground breaking (10yrs and counting) territory for seasons out of the playoffs.

I am speculating we shall see a new Oiler fan base most of whom have severe hangups about meaningful hockey in northern Alberta

This is the part that amazes me:

http://www.hockeydb.com/nhl-attendance/att_graph.php?tmi=5632

Oilers fan base are a special bunch. They have been extremely supportive of the Oilers throughout the last decade of ineptitude. Now its new arena time and the loyalty will only increase. Even if the Oilers continue to be an irrelevant NHL franchise except during the NHL Draft..fans will continue to blindly support them, the glitter of the new arena will occupy and excuse 1 more season of losing. If things haven't turned around drastically by the 2nd season in Rogers Place then I think fans may finally realize they've been scammed. I also think if they win the Auston Matthews sweepstakes..it will really hurt their reputation amongst the other 29 teams. It will be harder for them to facilitate trades and not have teams preying on the wealth of prospects they've failed to develop properly. It would spark a new rivalry with the Leafs, straight up. If they can't turn things around in a hurry it puts them at risk of holdouts from future draft picks. If the losing continues I could see Mcdavid being thrown some intense qualifying offers and there's no way he doesn't strongly consider them!

Oilers fan base are a special bunch. They have been extremely supportive of the Oilers throughout the last decade of ineptitude. Now its new arena time and the loyalty will only increase. Even if the Oilers continue to be an irrelevant NHL franchise except during the NHL Draft..fans will continue to blindly support them, the glitter of the new arena will occupy and excuse 1 more season of losing. If things haven't turned around drastically by the 2nd season in Rogers Place then I think fans may finally realize they've been scammed.

I also think if they win the Auston Matthews sweepstakes..it will really hurt their reputation amongst the other 29 teams. It will be harder for them to facilitate trades and not have teams preying on the wealth of prospects they've failed to develop properly. It would spark a new rivalry with the Leafs, straight up. If they can't turn things around in a hurry it puts them at risk of holdouts from future draft picks. If the losing continues I could see Mcdavid being thrown some intense qualifying offers and there's no way he doesn't strongly consider them!

Just a couple notes about this section.... McDavid can only sign one offer sheet which the Oilers would likely match. He could look at others but only sign one.

The Oilers problem is not the Owner not willing to spend money. The Oilers would/could send any number of #1 draft picks down the road to keep McDavid. He has been as close to what they expect as you could want despite the injury.

I don't know how the other teams would feel about the Oilers winning another #1. There were grumblings of frustration after the last one so you may be right but...

These teams do still have to do business in the league and sometimes it is the Oilers who they would be talking to. Even we Flames have found some common ground to do business with our rivals.

Just a couple notes about this section.... McDavid can only sign one offer sheet which the Oilers would likely match. He could look at others but only sign one.

The Oilers problem is not the Owner not willing to spend money. The Oilers would send any number of #1 draft picks down the road to keep McDavid. He has been as close to what they expect as you could want despite the injury.

I don't know how the other teams would feel about the Oilers winning another #1. There were grumblings of frustration after the last one so you may be right but...

These teams do still have to do business in the league and sometimes it is the Oilers who they would be talking to. Even we Flames have found some common ground to do business with our rivals.

I think that the general feeling with the GM's is that if the Oilers get another top 3 pick, there would be a boycott of trades with them, unless it's lopsided against the Oilers.  Considering what the fanbase think Nuge, Eberle, and Hall are worth, there would be a resultant guffaw and CLICK if they ever asked for those kinds of returns.

I think that the general feeling with the GM's is that if the Oilers get another top 3 pick, there would be a boycott of trades with them, unless it's lopsided against the Oilers.  Considering what the fanbase think Nuge, Eberle, and Hall are worth, there would be a resultant guffaw and CLICK if they ever asked for those kinds of returns.

Yeah but the Oilers have the best chance of all teams right now to get a top 3 pick. Sure the lotto could buck all the odds and put 3 other teams in the first 3 spots, but the odds of all three spots going to other teams is still huge.

The season is not quite over for the Oilers and there is a slim chance they don't end up in last place but that is a slim chance.

As a fan, I am most frustrated at how they have pretty much failed to develop all this supposed high end talent. Some use stronger terms like ruined.

I also said early on that decreasing the odds won't change how tanking teams think. When teams realize the playoffs are no longer in the cards, they will tank to get the best odds, no matter how small those odds are. The NHL thinking that the odds are low enough to prevent tanking is still flawed. From that the Owners and GM's have to take the blame. They could have prevented the Oilers from getting another high draft pick this year but didn't think it would be this way.

I don't see how the NHL can now turn around and throw in a you only get 1x #1 pick in <x years> without it being seen as an Oiler handicap reactionary rule.

Yeah but the Oilers have the best chance of all teams right now to get a top 3 pick. Sure the lotto could buck all the odds and put 3 other teams in the first 3 spots, but the odds of all three spots going to other teams is still huge.

The season is not quite over for the Oilers and there is a slim chance they don't end up in last place but that is a slim chance.

As a fan, I am most frustrated at how they have pretty much failed to develop all this supposed high end talent. Some use stronger terms like ruined.

I also said early on that decreasing the odds won't change how tanking teams think. When teams realize the playoffs are no longer in the cards, they will tank to get the best odds, no matter how small those odds are. The NHL thinking that the odds are low enough to prevent tanking is still flawed. From that the Owners and GM's have to take the blame. They could have prevented the Oilers from getting another high draft pick this year but didn't think it would be this way.

I don't see how the NHL can now turn around and throw in a you only get 1x #1 pick in <x years> without it being seen as an Oiler handicap reactionary rule.

Even if they did, they would have to say retroactive to the McDavid pick.  

There is no real way to prevent tanking if you reward 30th (lotto or no lotto).  

the league doesn't seem too concerned with the issue of tanking. When i look at the Oilers i think is a perfect example of why you DON'T tank and why there are consequences to tanking. some people seem to argue its a foolproof way of getting better but I don't agree but i'm not going to get into that. What i will say, is the issue the league seems to have is that the Oilers have "won" 2 of their 4 top picks. They only were actually the worst team in the league twice and 2 other times the lottery fell in their favor. I think if that happens again, you will see support for Doug Armstrong's rule where you can only "win" the first overal pick X amount of times in a certain time period. I'd personally be ok with that type of rule.

the oilers problem is actually really simple, its drafting and they are awful awful at it. I don't consider the Flames to be a particularly great drafting team (i'd call them league average) but here is a comparison that shows you just how bad the Oilers are.

I picked form 2010 - 2013 becuase 2010 is when the Oilers started their rebuild and any closer it too early to consider a prospect ready. This is only on prospects drafted outside the first round.

GPs

Flames - 402

Oilers - 462 (and 152 of that is Tobias Reider who isn't even on their team. Gave him away for free)

sounds reasonable, but here is the kicker.

Picks over that time frame:

Flames - 21

Oilers - 32

The Oilers in 4 drafts averaged over 8 picks OUTSIDE THE FIRST ROUND and still can barely pull more NHL talent out than the Flames. You could make the argument that drafts like 2012/2013 are too early to be analyzed and thats partial true but take a look at the players form those drafts. None of them are really knocking on the door either.

It is astounding to me that a franchise can be that bad at drafting, but that is why the Oilers are where they are. You can't develop high end talent if you've got no quality depth on your roster. 

the league doesn't seem too concerned with the issue of tanking. When i look at the Oilers i think is a perfect example of why you DON'T tank and why there are consequences to tanking. some people seem to argue its a foolproof way of getting better but I don't agree but i'm not going to get into that. What i will say, is the issue the league seems to have is that the Oilers have "won" 2 of their 4 top picks. They only were actually the worst team in the league twice and 2 other times the lottery fell in their favor. I think if that happens again, you will see support for Doug Armstrong's rule where you can only "win" the first overal pick X amount of times in a certain time period. I'd personally be ok with that type of rule.

the oilers problem is actually really simple, its drafting and they are awful awful at it. I don't consider the Flames to be a particularly great drafting team (i'd call them league average) but here is a comparison that shows you just how bad the Oilers are.

I picked form 2010 - 2013 becuase 2010 is when the Oilers started their rebuild and any closer it too early to consider a prospect ready. This is only on prospects drafted outside the first round.

GPs

Flames - 402

Oilers - 462 (and 152 of that is Tobias Reider who isn't even on their team. Gave him away for free)

sounds reasonable, but here is the kicker.

Picks over that time frame:

Flames - 21

Oilers - 32

The Oilers in 4 drafts averaged over 8 picks OUTSIDE THE FIRST ROUND and still can barely pull more NHL talent out than the Flames. You could make the argument that drafts like 2012/2013 are too early to be analyzed and thats partial true but take a look at the players form those drafts. None of them are really knocking on the door either.

It is astounding to me that a franchise can be that bad at drafting, but that is why the Oilers are where they are. You can't develop high end talent if you've got no quality depth on your roster. 

The thing that tanking teams do that "just bad" teams don't do is constantly trading away guys that have value, rather than trying to re-sign them.  Or they fail to develop a player, since they don't show up as an 18 year old ready to take the NHL by storm.

Choosing to give Jultz a 2-year deal and panning Petry.  Petry was a pretty steady player, but was not sexy like Jultz was.  They PO'd him and then knew he wasn't going to sign again.  Traded for picks .  

Marincin was traded for nothing, even though he has shown reasonable development, considering his age.  More picks.  Yak is going to be traded for little, even though they could have developed him as a player the right way.  Nurse is headed that way, unless they make the wise decision to put him back in the AHL.  He's getting close, but has not learned the defensive side enough to be a NHL player, IMHO.

Peron was traded for picks. Nilsson was traded for a pick and a lesser goalie prospect.  

You get the idea.  

Time to say something nice about the Oilers. What they did for Joey Moss was a good thing.

It was manipulative of the fans but still an honor for Joey & that was what mattered.

Didn't watch anything after the game.  Saw a few minutes of EVERY Oiler to wear a jersey.  Good that they gave him something for his time as a mascot.

Did they trot out the Octane to shake their pompoms?  :lol:

Time to say something nice about the Oilers. What they did for Joey Moss was a good thing.

It was manipulative of the fans but still an honor for Joey & that was what mattered.

I thought including Joey Moss and giving him a moment in the spotlight was a nice thing to do for him as well...   Frankly, they owed him that, and it made me smile to see him get some recognition for his years of effort...

Several posters have mentioned that Oiler fans are a special bunch  and the manipulation the Oilers have been doing to their fans that Ff52 mentioned goes to show just how special they are...

This once proud organization is on the verge of becoming, if not already, the worst franchise in the history of sport...They already have more first overall picks in their lineup than the last olympic version of Team Canada and are a decent bet to add another one this year. On top of that they have several other early 1st round picks yet they continue to suffer...Half a dozen coaches in 7 or 8 years, a TV special called Oil Change and 2 or 3 reboots to  rebooting their team should have fans becoming frustrated and staying away from the rink, especially in a bad economy...

Instead, Oiler management, gathers the old boys from the glory days yet again (3rd time in last 3 years and doing it again next year) to throw a little shindig and appease the fans who sit their cheering like a bunch of donkey's and totally forget that their team is a bout to finish a season at the bottom of the league standings again...

How many times, are they going to shell out money to watch their team lose but show up to watch the old boys tell some stories and talk about how great the city of Edmonton is and how great their fans are???

Do they know that nobody wants to actually play there??? In my opinion, the organization owes their fans alot more than an annual reunion of Gretz and friends...what they should be trying to do is win some hockey games and be entertaining on the ice!!!

So if you're Edmonton and win the Matthews lottery, what would you do?

I'd bundle up Hall, RNH, Eberle and Yak and set them free.

For Hall, I'd sniff out interest for a top 6 pick team and get another high pick IF I can't get a high end D for him. I'd trade him for getting Chychrun and another good D prospect if I can't get, say Josi, and Nashville's first.

I'd package RNH and Eberle for some leadership, Spezza and Sharp??

Yak isn't getting enough return, so I might hold him to see if he can come back better from the cleansing.

In fact, if I'm picking 3rd, I still do the purge and try to pull Puljajarvi and Chychrun.

Hall to Winnipeg for their 1st if I could.

It'll be interesting to see what they do.

So if you're Edmonton and win the Matthews lottery, what would you do?

I'd bundle up Hall, RNH, Eberle and Yak and set them free.

For Hall, I'd sniff out interest for a top 6 pick team and get another high pick IF I can't get a high end D for him. I'd trade him for getting Chychrun and another good D prospect if I can't get, say Josi, and Nashville's first.

I'd package RNH and Eberle for some leadership, Spezza and Sharp??

Yak isn't getting enough return, so I might hold him to see if he can come back better from the cleansing.

In fact, if I'm picking 3rd, I still do the purge and try to pull Puljajarvi and Chychrun.

Hall to Winnipeg for their 1st if I could.

It'll be interesting to see what they do.

I think whoever gets it has Phoenix over a barrel,, sure the GM says players like OEL arent going anywhere , but the owners, and the League want , no ..NEED Matthews in Phoenix.

My first call would be to the GM of Phoenix and start with OEL, Domi and their 1st pick in return

Id hate to see the Oliers get those players , but I think they will pay almost any price you ask them 

I think whoever gets it has Phoenix over a barrel,, sure the GM says players like OEL arent going anywhere , but the owners, and the League want , no ..NEED Matthews in Phoenix.

My first call would be to the GM of Phoenix and start with OEL, Domi and their 1st pick in return

Id hate to see the Oliers get those players , but I think they will pay almost any price you ask them 

Phoenix Arizona does not need Matthews, they are progressing just fine with their young prospects. They won't overpay for the asking price of whoever gets the #1 choice. He has almost 70% chance to be with a Canada lotto team. They all (except Oilers) NEED him too.

The league does not NEED Matthews in Arizona. There are many markets he would be just great in and help both Canadian and US markets.

Archived