Louis23

You are severely underrating hall and Eberle. Hall, even on a bad team with no help and no center had been a top scorer in the NHL. Eberle since Jan 1 this year was in the top 10 in NHL scoring. If they put those guys on the market there will be big interest no question. Nuge I agree is a bit too much of a question yo garner big return but eberle and hall, many teams would line up.

The problem is if you trade them who replaces them? It's not like the oilers have all this young talent waiting in the wings to take their spots. Their top 6 looks amazing with McDavid I'm there but you startin trading hall or Eberle and that potent looking offence disappears on a hurry. Oilers problem is they have tradable assets but will they actually get better or are they just moving around piece to stay on the same place.

Most of the oilers play better in the new year when making the playoffs are a far gone conclusion to them for the past couple of years. Comparing them with Minnesota or the Senators you see how little fight they had looking at their standings 40+ games in the season, no veteran presence to kick them to the next gear.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

He doesn't have to wait 7 Seasons..... he could as well decide not to sign and be brought back into the draft in 2018. He can make clear in the interview that he has no intention to sign with the Oilers. But that would simply push the A-card to Eichel...

You are severely underrating hall and Eberle. Hall, even on a bad team with no help and no center had been a top scorer in the NHL. Eberle since Jan 1 this year was in the top 10 in NHL scoring. If they put those guys on the market there will be big interest no question. Nuge I agree is a bit too much of a question yo garner big return but eberle and hall, many teams would line up.

The problem is if you trade them who replaces them? It's not like the oilers have all this young talent waiting in the wings to take their spots. Their top 6 looks amazing with McDavid I'm there but you startin trading hall or Eberle and that potent looking offence disappears on a hurry. Oilers problem is they have tradable assets but will they actually get better or are they just moving around piece to stay on the same place.

On a bad team, Eberle and Hall mostly had a good playmaking center, even if Nuge is a lightweight.  But I also said that they have issues that make them less attractive; Hall is a primadonna puckhog who wants the center stage; that doesn't fit with a good team.

Eberle is a fly-by winger. He cherrypicks more than most and will not go to the dirty areas.

Sure teams will ask about them, but the offers will not be as much as you think.  $6m in a cap world.  They would not be brought on as top 3 players, so who wants to pay $6m for a complementary player.

Perhaps... But I think the Oilers are in a unique position. They've got some great assets, and I think we're going to see some movement this summer. The lottery lights a fire that wasn't evident before. That may include some changes in management.

I don't think any GM's are going to trade significant assets to Edmonton unless the Oilers are willing to pay a premium. As the Leafs have embraced a rebuild, they'll be looking for those types of assets.

If I'm the Oilers, I'm also making Justin Williams a serious offer on July 1st.

Love.

The Oilers have had this culture of losing for how many GMs and coaches now?

I don't think changing the GM and coach will immediately make them attractive to free agents. They will need to start demonstrating a commitment to success first. And I don't see that happening without blowing everything up all over again. The Oilers' cupboards are bare, even after 6+ years of rebuilding

The Oilers have had this culture of losing for how many GMs and coaches now?

I don't think changing the GM and coach will immediately make them attractive to free agents. They will need to start demonstrating a commitment to success first. And I don't see that happening without blowing everything up all over again. The Oilers' cupboards are bare, even after 6+ years of rebuilding

In the past they brought back MacTavish and still had Kevin Lowe. Now they have Nicholson and maybe Chirelli. Plus they are drafting the most anticipated player since Crosby. It's different. I don't want it to be. But I believe it will be. Especially if they get one of the big name coaches.

If I'm Justin Williams, I laugh at you and say no

Why? You're 33, you have three cups, and maybe looking to make big money on what may be your final contract? You'd be brought in to provide leadership to the new face of the NHL and some really talented support... Kinda like what that Hudler guy does down south.

Love.

Why? You're 33, you have three cups, and maybe looking to make big money on what may be your final contract? You'd be brought in to provide leadership to the new face of the NHL and some really talented support... Kinda like what that Hudler guy does down south.

Love.

Calgary had respect even when we were near the bottom. The Oilers have none. Respect means a lot to people

McDavid drafted with the same idiots running the ship no change. However, if they fire MacT and Klowe things change drastically. Chiarelli  as GM, brings you the possibility of obtaining Babcock out of Detroit or Mcllean from San Jose, this thing is a whole different beast. Someone that has the brains, balls and respect in the league amongst GM's EDM could turn this around inside of 2 years.

McDavid drafted with the same idiots running the ship no change. However, if they fire MacT and Klowe things change drastically. Chiarelli as GM, brings you the possibility of obtaining Babcock out of Detroit or Mcllean from San Jose, this thing is a whole different beast. Someone that has the brains, balls and respect in the league amongst GM's EDM could turn this around inside of 2 years.

Agreed. Award the existing management team with their fourth first overall in six years and they remain a joke. Replace that team with respected and intelligent people like Chiarella and Nicholson and you keep the positive momentum going and transform the respect level.

The question for me is Katz. Does he allow Lowe and MacTavish to be fired or does he maintain the old boys club and put the new guy in an add on role? If so I think they lose a lot of credibility because those guys clearly need to go.

Agreed. Award the existing management team with their fourth first overall in six years and they remain a joke. Replace that team with respected and intelligent people like Chiarella and Nicholson and you keep the positive momentum going and transform the respect level.

The question for me is Katz. Does he allow Lowe and MacTavish to be fired or does he maintain the old boys club and put the new guy in an add on role? If so I think they lose a lot of credibility because those guys clearly need to go.

If they are kept in any role other than selling popcorn @ games credible management will still avoid that mess. Katz can hire them to stock shelves @ the drug store & still hear their stories about how they got those rings. KLowe & MacT would probably do either job @ current salary so all 3 are happy drinking around the pool while a competant management turns that around.

If they are kept in any role other than selling popcorn @ games credible management will still avoid that mess. Katz can hire them to stock shelves @ the drug store & still hear their stories about how they got those rings. KLowe & MacT would probably do either job @ current salary so all 3 are happy drinking around the pool while a competant management turns that around.

Truer words have ner been spunk.

Probably just coincidence if Katz gets this rolling, say, immediately after drafting Connor McDavid, no?

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2015/04/20/nicholson-oilers-boss-of-everything

Makes me puke a little in my mouth to say this (and I'm sure you as well), but KLowe and MacT may have done more for this organization's future than any other GM.   By being astronomically bad, in the most important draft of the decade.

Coincidence, of course.

You jest. But it's possible they are kept in a role with a lot less power. But if they are I think it really hurts the Oilers. Katz is still the boss and if he makes that happen it means he is still making decisions he shouldn't be making. Plus it still means you have a knitting circle that includes Katz, MacTavish, and Lowe.

I think players, coaches, and executives are going to be less likely to go there if they keep those two around. Which is why I hope they keep those two around.

You jest. But it's possible they are kept in a role with a lot less power. But if they are I think it really hurts the Oilers. Katz is still the boss and if he makes that happen it means he is still making decisions he shouldn't be making. Plus it still means you have a knitting circle that includes Katz, MacTavish, and Lowe.

I think players, coaches, and executives are going to be less likely to go there if they keep those two around. Which is why I hope they keep those two around.

I think it is "funny" that MacT is out of the country and Klown is MIA.  That means to me they are toast.  Harder to ridicule a team when those two are gone, but unless they clean house, they have only cut the head off the snake. 

I vote we rename the title of this thread.

It should be renamed “Oilers (FOUR 1OA draft picks in 6 yrs)” of something similar.

We really need to continually remind everyone how much of a welfare recipient this team has been over the years.  When success does return to that organization, all will know it was because they were bottle feed by the league for a decade.

Alright guys, let me prepare for this.

*Creates a tin foil hat and puts in firmly on head*

Did Katz just troll the entire hockey world, is he smarter than we give him credit for?

Tanking is always a gamble, and one thing about that has been said about the oilers this year... at least they didn't tank.

Or did they tank so hard and so well that no one thought it was tanking, keeping Lowe and McT in place where they are clearly incompetent is maybe the greatest scapegoat ever.  The oilers tanked, they tanked the product on the ice, they tanked the entire front office, tanked with coaches, tanked their reputation and quite likely tanked their future too.

Then behold, suddenly the oilers get McDavid, and Hallelujah, the lord be praised Katz see's that Lowe and McT must go, and go they do... well away from the hockey side of things anyway, don't want to punish those who got you #1 overall. All of a sudden the Oilers can hire someone who actually might be able to share something about winning instead of just knowing. And praise be Jesus, the Oilers are respectable again.

*Takes tin foil hat off and throws it on the ground. Stomps on it and walks away*

^^^^^^

lol - McDavid is just one player. The draft has done something important, it has restored hope in the entire Oiler fan base and now finally making the upper management changes completes the hope restoration project. The Oilers should be at the very least in the playoff bubble next year but there is a lot of work to do up there and that is assuming some decent off-season moves are made this year. 

If the Oil had even one stud D man and the irony of sending Dubynk packing and having him in the Vez conversation this year is painful. In short the Oilers actually had a top rate G and let him slip through their fingers. G is still the most important position. That is where your one player can steal games for you, as we all remember from Kipper. 

They appear to be on there way to rooting out the core problem which is that culture of losing but that takes time. It doesn't appear overnight and it doesn't disappear overnight either. 

I posted over there how Calgary was roundly mocked for its long futile playoff push but embedded in that was that will to win to culture which has carried over into this year and a big part of why the Flames have had such a surprising season. It remains to be seen how the Oilers do with a culture shift, it take time... 

Katz first and foremost is a businessman and he is very good at that. He is probably already calculating his profit on the McDavid Oiler jerseys...

The Oilers had a 10 percent chance of winning the lottery. A decade of missing the playoffs, terrible drafting and development, and high level of incompetence isn't a plan. Plus Katz is still holding on to his boys club. I think that haunts the Oilers down the road.

They got lucky. Tremendously lucky. And they haven't won anything yet except for the lottery. They still have a team with a Crap culture that is full of holes. They also have a fan base out of patience that is ready to turn sour really quickly I'd things are rough out of the gate.

This is the third time I can remember of people talking about smart moves in Edmonton and this being the turn around. It may be this time. But there are still a lot of problems to be solved.

The Oilers had a 10 percent chance of winning the lottery. A decade of missing the playoffs, terrible drafting and development, and high level of incompetence isn't a plan. Plus Katz is still holding on to his boys club. I think that haunts the Oilers down the road.

They got lucky. Tremendously lucky. And they haven't won anything yet except for the lottery. They still have a team with a Crap culture that is full of holes. They also have a fan base out of patience that is ready to turn sour really quickly I'd things are rough out of the gate.

This is the third time I can remember of people talking about smart moves in Edmonton and this being the turn around. It may be this time. But there are still a lot of problems to be solved.

I know, truth be told, they may get a bit better, but they will have to gut the team to see substantial improvements.

Archived