Louis23

Just as thought, Is McDavid possibly the worst thing to happen to the oilers at this time.

With the current management and team he alone won't turn Edmonton into a favorable trade or FA destination.

I can see that the oilers will have to seriously over pay to get FA's

I can also see the cost of trades with oilers will only go up, they have players who haven't been developed properly, seem to be thrown money because of what they could be as opposed to what they are actually worth. I think there are big question marks as to how the oilers young guns will work outside of Edmonton, where they actually have to earn their keep, and aren't just handed everything, where they are expected to play as a team instead of a collection of individuals.

Assuming that he reports and is as good as projected, he will wanting to be paid what he is worth, the oilers will have to over pay for everything they need, assuming they have the intelligence to seek out what they need, and few years down the track be in cap trouble.

I may be entirely wrong, but I can see the Oilers a few years down the road up against the cap, still being awful and aside from McDavid having nothing anyone else wants.

Your thoughts?

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't imagine he'd refuse to sign. 

The Oilers have the jewel in the crown now, but they still have a lo-o-ong way to go.  Their goals against last year was horrendous, and McDavid doesn't address that.  They have a lot of holes in that organization.

If I was Mr. Katz, I'd be considering blowing up the management team today.  They really need to make some hay at this year's draft and I don't think MacTavish is the right man for the job.

The Oilers should be an interesting team to watch over the summer.  I would expect to see some dramatic changes.  It wouldn't surprise me if they dangle one of their prospects in order to land a stud defenseman or goaltending prospect.

Calgary Flames top 10 core players/prospects:

1. Monahan (6 overall)
  2. Bennett (4 overall)
  3. Gaudreau (104 overall)
  4. Giordano (Undrafted free agent)
  5. Brodie (114 overall)
  6. Hudler (free agent)
  7. Russell (trade 5 round pick)
  8. Wideman (free agent)
  9. Backlund (24 overall)
  10. Gilles (75 overall)

Edmonton Oiler's top 10 players/prospects:

1. McDavid (1 overall)
  2. Hall (1 overall)
  3. Eberle (22 overall)
  4. Nurse (7 overall)
  5. RNH (1 overall)
  6. Draisitl (3 overall)
  7. Yakupov (1 overall)
  8. Schultz (free agent)
  9. Klefbom (19 overall)
  10. Pouliot (free agent)

The Oiler's haven't been able to do a thing outside of the first round.  Despite winning the draft lottery 3 times in the last 5 years (now 4 in 6) they had as many points this season as when they started their rebuild.  All of their big players under performed.  

If Nicholson is smart he will take this opportunity to fire everyone.  This is a fantastic opportunity to turn the page and have a fresh start.  The Edmonton fans (yuck) deserve this pick.  It isn't their fault that the team is this poorly managed.  But awarding this management with the top pick is pathetic.  The only thing they have achieved in nearly 10 years is to win draft lotteries. 

Nicholson is a really smart dude.  If there isn't major change in Edmonton that means Katz won't let there be change.  If that is the case they are just going to screw it up again.  As Pittsburgh has shown, it doesn't matter if you have some of the best players in the world if you can't build around them.  This management can't.

Calgary Flames top 10 core players/prospects:

• Monahan (6 overall)
  • Bennett (4 overall)
  • Gaudreau (104 overall)
  • Giordano (Undrafted free agent)
  • Brodie (114 overall)
  • Hudler (free agent)
  • Russell (trade 5 round pick)
  • Wideman (free agent)
  • Backlund (24 overall)
  • Gilles (75 overall)
Edmonton Oiler's top 10 players/prospects:
  • McDavid (1 overall)
  • Hall (1 overall)
  • Eberle (22 overall)
  • Nurse (7 overall)
  • RNH (1 overall)
  • Draisitl (3 overall)
  • Yakupov (1 overall)
  • Schultz (free agent)
  • Klefbom (19 overall)
  • Pouliot (free agent)
The Oiler's haven't been able to do a thing outside of the first round.  Despite winning the draft lottery 3 times in the last 5 years (now 4 in 6) they had as many points this season as when they started their rebuild.  All of their big players under performed.  

If Nicholson is smart he will take this opportunity to fire everyone.  This is a fantastic opportunity to turn the page and have a fresh start.  The Edmonton fans (yuck) deserve this pick.  It isn't their fault that the team is this poorly managed.  But awarding this management with the top pick is pathetic.  The only thing they have achieved in nearly 10 years is to win draft lotteries. 

Nicholson is a really smart dude.  If there isn't major change in Edmonton that means Katz won't let there be change.  If that is the case they are just going to screw it up again.  As Pittsburgh has shown, it doesn't matter if you have some of the best players in the world if you can't build around them.  This management can't.

You speak the truth, sir.

There is no indication that even a McDavid could help this team. They can only score so many goals.

McDavid, if he plays next season, should get the majority of the 1st line goals. Big deal. They had a line that produced 2/3 of their goals and still managed to lose the majority of the games. They are not one franchise player (assuming he reaches that status) away from the playoffs. They are a play like that away from bottom 20 of the league.

They still have no defense to speak of and none developing properly. They have no goalies worth anything, and only a ex-Oil King as a decent prospect. Their forwards are a bunch of guys used to losing. Their management and scouting is laughable. MacT has suggested that this year will be a development year. What does that even mean?

Who is the next savior available in 2016?

It pains me to say this.

It really, really does.

But I think the Oilers will turn the corner with McDavid.   And even moreso, if he chooses not to sign and they trade him.

I don't think it's right.   Do the fans deserve it?  Maybe.   But how the organization got here was wrong.  I'll never be able to cheer for them.

It pains me to say this.

It really, really does.

But I think the Oilers will turn the corner with McDavid.   And even moreso, if he chooses not to sign and they trade him.

I don't think it's right.   Do the fans deserve it?  Maybe.   But how the organization got here was wrong.  I'll never be able to cheer for them.

They had many chances to turn the corner. They aren't even near the corner. Scoring will do nothing to improve the win/loss ratio or the GF/GA ratio. If they trade to improve one part of their holes, they lose the only area they have valuable assets.

They haven't learned yet, so why does this change anything.

They had many chances to turn the corner. They aren't even near the corner. Scoring will do nothing to improve the win/loss ratio or the GF/GA ratio. If they trade to improve one part of their holes, they lose the only area they have valuable assets.

They haven't learned yet, so why does this change anything.

Oh, they've learned....something.

They had strong players in the AHL, and OHL, that they could have called upon. 

They chose not to.   Losing so badly this year was no accident.

Call it....development, if you like.   Or call it losing for McDavid.

But whatever you call it, expect Darnell Nurse in their lineup next year.

Expect Drasaitl to be in their lineup.    Expect him to be a different player next year.

Expect them to trade for a another defenseman.

And if I'm wrong about all this, expect them to clean house.

They have but one issue, and that's the cap.   That'll be more an issue 2-3 years from now than it will be next season.

It's a question of whether they'll be willing to step up and buy players out or not.

Either way, I'm not impressed with how they got here.

Hard to believe, but there seems to be a large subset of oiler fans who actually believe them winning the lottery is some kind of justice. That the oilers deserved to win more than the other teams near the bottom, more than buffalo, arizona or toronto. Why? Because apparently the oilers were the only team not actively tanking this season. Despite trading their top d-man and one of their top wingers mid season, allowing eakins to coach more than a month after any actual team would have fired him, making no effort to address positional weaknesses besides picking up Roy off waivers, they were apparently not tanking this season at any point.

Balloney.

Oh, they've learned....something.

They had strong players in the AHL, and OHL, that they could have called upon. 

They chose not to.   Losing so badly this year was no accident.

Call it....development, if you like.   Or call it losing for McDavid.

But whatever you call it, expect Darnell Nurse in their lineup next year.

Expect Drasaitl to be in their lineup.    Expect him to be a different player next year.

Expect them to trade for a another defenseman.

And if I'm wrong about all this, expect them to clean house.

They have but one issue, and that's the cap.   That'll be more an issue 2-3 years from now than it will be next season.

It's a question of whether they'll be willing to step up and buy players out or not.

Either way, I'm not impressed with how they got here.

Spacing man, spacing...

They played as many AHL players that we did. These are the saviours of the team? I referenced development as a direct quote from MacT about the coming season. I hate that they got McDavid, but it does them no good other than selling tickets. Who wants to trade for a $6m player in a cap world? Well, sure they might get something for Nuge or Hall, but that defeats the purpose. They have bigger needs than we have, but we have taken steps to get players that have pride and determination. Hall has pride, but he is a puckhog that hates it when others get the glory. Do you think he wants to stay being 2nd fiddle to McJeezuz?

If you want to believe that McDavid will lead them to the promised land, go ahead. Nurse and Draisaitl will help, but that is it. One top 4 d-man in the making and a possible NHL center in the making (in a few years).

Sorry but there's no way this girl is ever going to turn into an Essex stereotype. I have light skin instead of orange for starters ;)

I found out really late one night we won the lottery and woke my man up and he didn't care, lol. I laughed at the hateful crap that was tweeted, blogged or whatever in the past few days.

Oh well.... Hopefully this is the last number one pick for us. *crosses fingers*

An example of said Essex girl...

orange3_fn-791892.jpg

It's bad enough the only way is Essex people hang out where I am sometimes. *barf*

Spacing man, spacing...

They played as many AHL players that we did. These are the saviours of the team? I referenced development as a direct quote from MacT about the coming season. I hate that they got McDavid, but it does them no good other than selling tickets. Who wants to trade for a $6m player in a cap world? Well, sure they might get something for Nuge or Hall, but that defeats the purpose. They have bigger needs than we have, but we have taken steps to get players that have pride and determination. Hall has pride, but he is a puckhog that hates it when others get the glory. Do you think he wants to stay being 2nd fiddle to McJeezuz?

If you want to believe that McDavid will lead them to the promised land, go ahead. Nurse and Draisaitl will help, but that is it. One top 4 d-man in the making and a possible NHL center in the making (in a few years).

I

disagree

with

you.

But...

Given

that

we

are

talking

about

the

Oilers,

I would rather agree with you, and your spacing fixation, and your arguement, because, quite simply, it's the Oilers.  And I couldn't be bothered to defend them.  Whether do well or not, this is ridiculous that they got McDavid, and a waste.  Sure, the Oilers fans deserve it.  But the organiazation does not.   It's not right.  And for that, I hope for this one that you're right and I'm wrong.

I really wanted McDavid to come to a western team. (was hoping Arizona). Try and get a ticket to any game Crosby plays in. Top generational players sell seats. As much as I'm disappointed that Edmonton got him I'm still glad we will get to see him play quite a bit.

They are going to need more then just McDavid to turn the corner. They still have below avg 3/4 lines, need a whole new top 4 dman and a legitimate goalie. They are likely going to have to trade some of that prospect depth to do it too so while McDavid is going to help a bunch I think the OIlers are still several moves away from being a legitimate contender. Just inserting Drasaitl, Nurse and McDavid is not enough.

They are going to need more then just McDavid to turn the corner. They still have below avg 3/4 lines, need a whole new top 4 dman and a legitimate goalie. They are likely going to have to trade some of that prospect depth to do it too so while McDavid is going to help a bunch I think the OIlers are still several moves away from being a legitimate contender. Just inserting Drasaitl, Nurse and McDavid is not enough.

Think we agree here. The problem that the Oilers have is that they traded most of their assets that have any value. They have the $6m kids, but the cap makes trading them that much more difficult. That and the fact that they are unproven, mostly. On a bad team, they are top 3. On a good team they might be, but who knows. I can't see Hall wanting to be a supplemental scoring winger, and I don't see enough heart in Eberle to think he wants to get his nose dirty.

Their biggest assets are RNH (lanky center), Yak (attitude at times), and the drafted guys. Good luck reconstructing.

Think we agree here. The problem that the Oilers have is that they traded most of their assets that have any value. They have the $6m kids, but the cap makes trading them that much more difficult. That and the fact that they are unproven, mostly. On a bad team, they are top 3. On a good team they might be, but who knows. I can't see Hall wanting to be a supplemental scoring winger, and I don't see enough heart in Eberle to think he wants to get his nose dirty.

Their biggest assets are RNH (lanky center), Yak (attitude at times), and the drafted guys. Good luck reconstructing.

I have to disagree. Their best assets are those unending high picks & Nurse.

A $6 million RNH gets little of value as he's been the 1C by default on a bottom feeder his entire career. Something of value would have to go for good player or the Oilers would need to take a salary dump back. Alternately retain salary. An unearned high salary limits return (same goes for Eberle & Hall).

Yak @ 2.5 x2 they might as well keep.

I have to disagree. Their best assets are those unending high picks & Nurse.

A $6 million RNH gets little of value as he's been the 1C by default on a bottom feeder his entire career. Something of value would have to go for good player or the Oilers would need to take a salary dump back. Alternately retain salary. An unearned high salary limits return (same goes for Eberle & Hall).

Yak @ 2.5 x2 they might as well keep.

Well, I wasn't going there with the picks or Nurse. Realistically, the only ones they would be willing to deal are the ones I listed. Doesn't get much which is why I said good luck.

On the Oilers, the only player that should be considered as core is McDavid, and I am not convinced he is what other say he is. As good or better than MacKinnon? Likely, if he develops properly and has a supporting cast in a winning environment. Please leave the "generational" discussion until he plays an actual NHL season, and then temper it with what he does after year 2, 3, 4....

You are severely underrating hall and Eberle. Hall, even on a bad team with no help and no center had been a top scorer in the NHL. Eberle since Jan 1 this year was in the top 10 in NHL scoring. If they put those guys on the market there will be big interest no question. Nuge I agree is a bit too much of a question yo garner big return but eberle and hall, many teams would line up.

The problem is if you trade them who replaces them? It's not like the oilers have all this young talent waiting in the wings to take their spots. Their top 6 looks amazing with McDavid I'm there but you startin trading hall or Eberle and that potent looking offence disappears on a hurry. Oilers problem is they have tradable assets but will they actually get better or are they just moving around piece to stay on the same place.

Archived