Louis23

This cracked me up..

The Oilers Are Not Ready For The Regular Season

http://www2.tsn.ca/bardown/Story.aspx?The%2bOilers%2bAre%2bNot%2bReady%2bFor%2bThe%2bRegular%2bSeason&id=464083

oilers_47602.jpg

"They were up 1-0 on the Canucks and killing off a penalty, when they magically turned into a a bunch of 6-year olds who have no concept of defensive positioning."

Ha HA.. funny funny. But there's an error in that above sentence.. The OILERS were on the PP... the Canucks were shorthanded.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You have to look at the positives though; the Oilers made damn sure the guy in the corner wasn't going to score.

All joking aside though, I think the Oilers are a team adrift.  Normally I'd be doing backflips every time something goes wrong for the Oilers, but when you look at the way Canadian teams performed in the NHL last year, you have to agree that all they all need to pull up their collective socks.  I think it's bad for hockey in Canada.

My understanding is, Katz has blinders on with regard to Lowe and MacT.  In my opinion, the Oilers need to make some large-scale changes in the coaching and management staff.

I think Calgary has made the changes that are going to turn their club around.  Hartley is definitely the right coach at this point in their life cycle.  (I think he deserves a medal for the results he squeezed out of last year's team)  Brad Treliving appears to be an excellent GM.

And then there's Brian Burke.  I was never a fan, but I enjoy him now that he's here.  How many NHL executives can change the sport's vernacular?

Truculently yours,

StarkRaving

This thread is evolving into epic status.   

I can't decide whether I like Carty's Vampire cue, or DL44's PP breakdown bettter.

StarkRaving nailed it though...it's all a bit sad as well.

I'll be honest, this could finally be the year where the Oilers beat the Flames in the standings.  

Part of me actually hopes they do, for their sake.   Their rebuild should have been complete a season ago.  Yet they still look like a team entering the rebuild phase.

The fan base in Oil-town need a major wakeup.  They have some prospects in the wings that could make the NHL soon; Nurse, Klefbom, Yakimov.  But these are not Webber, Doubty, or Getzlav.  They are piece that will help you win games.  The Oilers are not on the cusp of the playoffs, they are on the cusp of being a bottom 1/3 team.  They are stuck with forcing an 18 year old into the NHL because they don't have a #2C, no matter if he looks close to NHL ready or not.  Last year the majority of their scoring for (and against it seems) was with their starting lineup.  +/- of -22 and -18 for Ference and Schultz, -15,-16 and -11 for the top 3 forwards.  The team had 67 points last year.

MSM needs to take a closer look at the team to see that they are not the next Chicago Black Hawks.  They should improve their points this year just due to have a better goalie tandem.  But that doesn't get them close to the playoffs. That would have to be about a 30 point jump.  They didn't have 49 1-goal difference games.  They need to win close to 2/3 of their games.

The only thing I hope to see is that make it out of lottery territory.  If we are too, the I hope we have more points.

Two years ago, I figured the Oilers were 5 years and a goalie away from appearing in the Stanley Cup semis.  Now I'm not so sure.  They've assembled a really good group of prospects, but they don't seem to be willing or able to develop them properly.  Nail Yakupov is a fine example.  They took a first overall pick and threw him to the wolves.  He's only 20 years old, and there's a sizable chunk of the Oilers fan base who would like to see him traded.  In fact, I think his name comes up in pretty much every Oilers-related trade rumour now that Gagner's gone.

I'm going to stick my neck out here...  I was very worried that the Flames might pick Draisaitl over Bennett.  I thought that Draisaitl was the one player in the crop who might have the potential to be the next Pavel Brendl.  I hope I'm wrong for his sake.  Let's see if the Oilers have the patience to develop him properly.

On a barely related note, I *really* wanted the Flames to take Bennett.  I don't know if he'll put up elite scoring stats, but his desire and truculence* will make him a fan favourite for years.  I'll be surprised if he's not wearing an 'A' and possibly a 'C' by the time he's 25.  Hopefully, the Flames will have the patience to send him back to junior for another season unlike the Oilers and some of their draft picks.  If he stays here, we'll waste a year of his ELC while he'll just get a taste of what it's like to play on a losing team.

* There's that word again.  :)

The fan base in Oil-town need a major wakeup.  They have some prospects in the wings that could make the NHL soon; Nurse, Klefbom, Yakimov.  But these are not Webber, Doubty, or Getzlav.  They are piece that will help you win games.  The Oilers are not on the cusp of the playoffs, they are on the cusp of being a bottom 1/3 team.  They are stuck with forcing an 18 year old into the NHL because they don't have a #2C, no matter if he looks close to NHL ready or not.  Last year the majority of their scoring for (and against it seems) was with their starting lineup.  +/- of -22 and -18 for Ference and Schultz, -15,-16 and -11 for the top 3 forwards.  The team had 67 points last year.

MSM needs to take a closer look at the team to see that they are not the next Chicago Black Hawks.  They should improve their points this year just due to have a better goalie tandem.  But that doesn't get them close to the playoffs. That would have to be about a 30 point jump.  They didn't have 49 1-goal difference games.  They need to win close to 2/3 of their games.

The only thing I hope to see is that make it out of lottery territory.  If we are too, the I hope we have more points.

1 number that should concern them is the goal differential of -67. Buffalo & Florida were worse but the Flames were 4th @ a more respectable -32. Seriously, being outscored by 67 goals when you supposedly (only 5 teams scored less often) have a lot of firepower in the line-up should be a major concern. Responding by relying on 2 goalies with a combined 109 games of NHL experience (50 of those last season) shouldn't be much of a confidence boost.

1 number that should concern them is the goal differential of -67. Buffalo & Florida were worse but the Flames were 4th @ a more respectable -32. Seriously, being outscored by 67 goals when you supposedly (only 5 teams scored less often) have a lot of firepower in the line-up should be a major concern. Responding by relying on 2 goalies with a combined 109 games of NHL experience (50 of those last season) shouldn't be much of a confidence boost.

I agree.  The goal differential indicates so many different problems of weakness.  Lack of ability to score, lack of defense, lack of goaltending, etc.  I think though that in the last part of last season and this offseason that MacTavish did go a long way to try and address most of those issues.  There are still glaring deficiencies, but they "SHOULD" show better this year in my opinion.

^^^^ If you watched the 5-2 game the Oilers are constantly out of position. The only goal that was scored where the defense were in position was the Raymond tip from Gio, other than that everyone is out of position. 

Frankly, I don't get the organization, they preach they have great prospects on D but there horrible every year. The all sing the praises of how offensive they are but are horrific in a 5 on 5 game. I will predict that against Vancouver they lose 5- 0. 

^^^^ If you watched the 5-2 game the Oilers are constantly out of position. The only goal that was scored where the defense were in position was the Raymond tip from Gio, other than that everyone is out of position. 

Frankly, I don't get the organization, they preach they have great prospects on D but there horrible every year. The all sing the praises of how offensive they are but are horrific in a 5 on 5 game. I will predict that against Vancouver they lose 5- 0. 

I was thinking the same thing the other night they were good on the PP but other then that yes they had possession but I don't think the flames did a bad job keeping them to the outside and there was a couple chances were ramo shut the door.

They didn't look much better then last year

I see a Leaf fan on Saturday night adopted the common Oiler fan method of showing their dis-satisfaction by throwing their jersey onto the ice during the game in protest.  I sure hope I NEVER see that in Calgary.  Deny the rational (media), but you have to admit it is effective and gets EVERYONES attention.  By the way, I wonder if Gretz got his cell phone back?

292e69bca35754b7de2d183c80822520.png

The fan base in Edmonton is mostly divided between "fire Eakins" and "waive Ference" and "terrible goaltending". Some look at the lack of NHL centers as being a big issue, while some look at individual players and blame them - Pouliot, Ference, Jultz, Hunt, Nikitin, Eberle.

Eakins has made as many questionable lineup choices as Hartley, but is getting roasted due to lack of success. How much is his fault? A coach trying to instill structure at the country club may not get buy-in. Scratching or under-playing Yak is against the law. There doesn't appear to be much thought to whether the team is un-coachable as it stands or some of their "leaders" don't deserve it.

As much as I laugh at the losses, I hate that they are already looking at it like a lost season - tank time.

Tomorrow's Canucks-Oilers game is making me nauseous to think about...

Too many of the little things in the Oilers favor...

- Vancouver will of had 6 days off - could be rusty

- Oilers been playing and losing... so they will be as desperate a team can be 4 games into a season.

- Should be more motivated and hungry than their counterparts who are in training camp mode again.

- Oilers have to eventually win one.  Always feels like the Canucks have these streaks end against them.

- They almost beat us the first time

Only things in the Canucks favor...

- Sedins

- Playing the Oilers 

Tomorrow's Canucks-Oilers game is making me nauseous to think about...

Too many of the little things in the Oilers favor...

- Vancouver will of had 6 days off - could be rusty

- Oilers been playing and losing... so they will be as desperate a team can be 4 games into a season.

- Should be more motivated and hungry than their counterparts who are in training camp mode again.

- Oilers have to eventually win one.  Always feels like the Canucks have these streaks end against them.

- They almost beat us the first time

Only things in the Canucks favor...

- Sedins

- Playing the Oilers

Calgary used to be the team to play when you had a slump; scoring, losing skid, first goal for the team, in the NHL, in North America...

Don't worry too much. The Oilers will make about six different moves by then; fire coach, trade Petry, demote Hunt, recall Marincin, etc., etc.... 

Moves the Oilers could make...

- Fire Eakins

- Trade Petry

- Send Draisaitl to Jr.

- Call up Klefbom

- Send Nurse to Jr.

- Call up Marincin

- Send down Hunt

- Reward Yakupov with more ice

- Trade Eberle

- Put RNH on LTIR

- Move Hall to center

- Waive Scirvens

- Bring up the other Yak.. Yakim-something

- Re-hire Eakins as VP of Media Relations/Catering 

The fan base in Edmonton is mostly divided between "fire Eakins" and "waive Ference" and "terrible goaltending". Some look at the lack of NHL centers as being a big issue, while some look at individual players and blame them - Pouliot, Ference, Jultz, Hunt, Nikitin, Eberle.

Eakins has made as many questionable lineup choices as Hartley, but is getting roasted due to lack of success. How much is his fault? A coach trying to instill structure at the country club may not get buy-in. Scratching or under-playing Yak is against the law. There doesn't appear to be much thought to whether the team is un-coachable as it stands or some of their "leaders" don't deserve it.

As much as I laugh at the losses, I hate that they are already looking at it like a lost season - tank time.

Actually Eakins wasn't a good player (couldn't even catch Teemu's glove when he threw it in the air for the breaking rookie goal record) & is no better as a coach.

The players are inured to losing, Eakins seemed more concerned about water on his suit & tie then the fact 1 of the best players he has thought so little of him he did that.

Eakins has a few good players but benching any of the golden boys to get a point across would have him gone asap (better then an out clause). Even the best coach couldn't work under the current conditions in Edmonton. They can't say it on the Oiler board but as long as KLowe is pulling the strings they aren't getting better.

I hope by the time the Flames become a top team again Edmonton is there to make the BoA meaningful. The Orca can sink to their rightful spot @ the bottom.

DL is rightfully worried about the rematch against the Oilers. They have to win some time & are about due.

- Fire Eakins

- Trade Petry (coming soon - maybe the 3rd ever Flames Oilers trade - Wideman for Petry)

- Send Draisaitl to Jr. (most likely after 9 games)

- Call up Klefbom (coming soon)

- Send Nurse to Jr. (coming soon)

- Call up Marincin (not sure why he wasn't kept)

- Send down Hunt (he has pics of Eakins and Jultz)

- Reward Yakupov with more ice

- Trade Eberle

- Put RNH on LTIR

- Move Hall to center (tried it before; didn't work)

- Waive Scirvens (what, admit failure?)

- Bring up the other Yak.. Yakim-something (already done, played like 2 minutes)

- Re-hire Eakins as VP of Media Relations/Catering 

Archived