Louis23

Sorry Bronco, I was brought up learning to hate the Oilers so seeing them win hurts. I have heard stories about the BOA and while I would love to see it myself, where both teams are tearing it up, I want my Flames to get there first. 

I have too many Oiler fans as friends and almost every single one of them are the annoying type. Every win is Oiler Domination and City of Champions blah blah blah... 

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All my Oiler friends are annoying not some but all.. I still love them though..

B.O.A. I too will cheer of course for my Flames, always have and always will.

The city of Champs should a fading memory, the dynasty was, and never will be,,

I agree with SherifoPM (above post), my main reason I cant stand Oiler Fans is true, Every Oiler win is Domination and were the city of champs, and were going to win the cup now, blah blah blah.

Living in both cities Edmonton 17 years and 12 in Calgary/Lethbridge there is no doubt in my mind the Flame fans do have more respect.

But fans like Bronco are but a few of the really good Oiler fans.

Sorry Bronco, I was brought up learning to hate the Oilers so seeing them win hurts. I have heard stories about the BOA and while I would love to see it myself, where both teams are tearing it up, I want my Flames to get there first. 

Ya well I think your Flames WILL get there first.  They had a better team before their rebuild, more to start with plain and simple.  I actually think they will be pretty close to one another as they build. 

I was lucky enough to be part of the BOA...  there have been so few rivalries as bitter as this one was during the hayday of the BOA, honestly I can't ever see it being repeated.

I have too many Oiler fans as friends and almost every single one of them are the annoying type. Every win is Oiler Domination and City of Champions blah blah blah... 

Lol I live south of Calgary.... I have the same issues as you, only its reversed  lmao!! :lol:

All my Oiler friends are annoying not some but all.. I still love them though..

B.O.A. I too will cheer of course for my Flames, always have and always will.

The city of Champs should a fading memory, the dynasty was, and never will be,,

I agree with SherifoPM (above post), my main reason I cant stand Oiler Fans is true, Every Oiler win is Domination and were the city of champs, and were going to win the cup now, blah blah blah.

Living in both cities Edmonton 17 years and 12 in Calgary/Lethbridge there is no doubt in my mind the Flame fans do have more respect.

But fans like Bronco are but a few of the really good Oiler fans.

Don't forget, we still have to get together for a couple of beers and a game! 

• 2 weeks later...

lol yup.. thanks ;)

it was a great game, the BOA might be coming back in a smaller, less hateful way.  More like BOA-light

I was so happy to see the Flames stand up for all the goalie runs the Oilers had last night.  Something that was *definitely* missing from the team for the past few years.  Shows fire, passion, and a whole-team mentality.

It would be great to see a BoA-lite for awhile, until both teams hit their growth peak.  The NHL *needs* the old "Western Triangle of Death" again.

I.....don't really consider it a rivalry if it doesn't at least happen in the playoffs, but that's just me.

Edmonton seems to...Maybe...be turning a corner?   I am not a believer but would love to be proved wrong.

Calgary....we'll be ready for a Real rivalry in a couple years....hope you guys can step up to the plate then!

I.....don't really consider it a rivalry if it doesn't at least happen in the playoffs, but that's just me.

Edmonton seems to...Maybe...be turning a corner?   I am not a believer but would love to be proved wrong.

Calgary....we'll be ready for a Real rivalry in a couple years....hope you guys can step up to the plate then!

I have to agree. I don't see much of an actual rivalry unless there is a playoff race involved or playoffs. I hope your 2 years "we will be ready" prediction is on JJ but we have a ways to go. Lots of pieces have to fall into place to attain that.

As for the Oilers ready in 2 years, who knows. If they can't show any progress this season that makes how many years of obscurity and irrelevance in a row now?

There is no BOA any more. Not like back in the 80's, where it was a fight for top spot. Frankly, could the Oilers turn around quicker than us, yes. The problem is there is no way they do it with that roster. They have to move pieces to bring in better parts, they simply just won't or you would have to think it would have been done.

Just a short over view of comparison's between the clubs now, should be cause for concern in Oil land. In one year of the rebuild our club competes better the culture is better and the work ethic is better. Our AHL club is top in league, this is not even a full season into a rebuild. When the veterans get traded this deadline will only make the prospect pool stronger. I see us not very good next year, but in 2015/2016 season look out.

I have to agree. I don't see much of an actual rivalry unless there is a playoff race involved or playoffs. I hope your 2 years "we will be ready" prediction is on JJ but we have a ways to go. Lots of pieces have to fall into place to attain that.

As for the Oilers ready in 2 years, who knows. If they can't show any progress this season that makes how many years of obscurity and irrelevance in a row now?

There is no BOA any more. Not like back in the 80's, where it was a fight for top spot. Frankly, could the Oilers turn around quicker than us, yes. The problem is there is no way they do it with that roster. They have to move pieces to bring in better parts, they simply just won't or you would have to think it would have been done.

Just a short over view of comparison's between the clubs now, should be cause for concern in Oil land. In one year of the rebuild our club competes better the culture is better and the work ethic is better. Our AHL club is top in league, this is not even a full season into a rebuild. When the veterans get traded this deadline will only make the prospect pool stronger. I see us not very good next year, but in 2015/2016 season look out.

I think the Oiler fans still believe they have the best D prospects in the league. Marincin, Klefbom, Musil, Gernat, etc...They were supposed to be the wave of the future. Lots have opinions of what they need to compete, but they are still stuck on the fact that you need to give up big names to get big talent. Until they realize that the team is not constructed to compete in today's NHL, they will never make the "bold moves" they need to get there.

I think the Oiler fans still believe they have the best D prospects in the league. Marincin, Klefbom, Musil, Gernat, etc...They were supposed to be the wave of the future. Lots have opinions of what they need to compete, but they are still stuck on the fact that you need to give up big names to get big talent. Until they realize that the team is not constructed to compete in today's NHL, they will never make the "bold moves" they need to get there.

In all fairness when you draft BPA and first overall so many times you don't really have a lot of voice on the construction of the team. That does not excuse the Oilers for poor drafting however. Cross laid out some stats a while back that showed that they did not really draft better but rather drafted more. When you still draft for speed and skill even when you are a small team you only have the drafting philosophy to blame.

If you are going to take what the picks (#1's) give you, you then had better be prepared to trade them if the fit isn't right. So far the Oilers prefer to hang on to all their untouchable #1 picks.

I tried to tell Connor last year the defense prospects were slim but he thought otherwise. I can say they made a good decision(I think) in Nurse. Then again the fans are talking about bringing him up already and that be more poor development too.

In all fairness when you draft BPA and first overall so many times you don't really have a lot of voice on the construction of the team. That does not excuse the Oilers for poor drafting however. Cross laid out some stats a while back that showed that they did not really draft better but rather drafted more. When you still draft for speed and skill even when you are a small team you only have the drafting philosophy to blame.

If you are going to take what the picks (#1's) give you, you then had better be prepared to trade them if the fit isn't right. So far the Oilers prefer to hang on to all their untouchable #1 picks.

I tried to tell Connor last year the defense prospects were slim but he thought otherwise. I can say they made a good decision(I think) in Nurse. Then again the fans are talking about bringing him up already and that be more poor development too.

J.Schultz is a good example of how they rush in defense to help the big team.  He played well in the AHL, while he had NHL teammates.  He should have stayed down to develop his game on the defensive side.  This year he still plays total offense, and he looks like most times has no clue how to play without the puck. 

Klefbom is looking bad so far in the AHL, so I don't know if he will be rushed up as well.  Unless they let Nurse ripen in the AHL, he will end up only knowing offense, much like J.Schultz.

This is true right here... drafting best player available works, when it is once.  When it's that many very early picks that Edmonton got it screwed with chemistry.  Made them pick too many of the same "player type".   They waited too long before starting to look for that big D, and are still looking for the sandpaper.

And that fit up to this point absolutely isn't right.  While I am confident this group will grow a ton, and will become a competitive team, I am also confident that it will not be competitive enough to challenge the best teams, the team just isn't rounded enough, and the physical aspect and work ethic just doesn't exist.

While travel_dude is right that many fans believe our D is "set", he is misinformed in thinking we ALL believe that.  There are many Oilers fans that are not wearing the blinders.  We know that the team needs to be far better at D (and that includes the forwards).  Nurse was a step, and I believe he is going to be a force, but they need a lot more than just Darnell to make any sort of meaningful impact.  We do have some decent defensive prospects but we have a long way to go yet.

This is true right here... drafting best player available works, when it is once.  When it's that many very early picks that Edmonton got it screwed with chemistry.  Made them pick too many of the same "player type".   They waited too long before starting to look for that big D, and are still looking for the sandpaper.

And that fit up to this point absolutely isn't right.  While I am confident this group will grow a ton, and will become a competitive team, I am also confident that it will not be competitive enough to challenge the best teams, the team just isn't rounded enough, and the physical aspect and work ethic just doesn't exist.

While travel_dude is right that many fans believe our D is "set", he is misinformed in thinking we ALL believe that.  There are many Oilers fans that are not wearing the blinders.  We know that the team needs to be far better at D (and that includes the forwards).  Nurse was a step, and I believe he is going to be a force, but they need a lot more than just Darnell to make any sort of meaningful impact.  We do have some decent defensive prospects but we have a long way to go yet.

Yeah, I wasn't talking about all fans, obviously. Some (probably a lot) are realistic, and have been calling for MacT's and KLowe's heads. I read a lot of diffent blogs and stories where the majority blab on about how great the prospects are. Some used to post here a lot, but have been quiet this season.

Yeah, I wasn't talking about all fans, obviously. Some (probably a lot) are realistic, and have been calling for MacT's and KLowe's heads. I read a lot of diffent blogs and stories where the majority blab on about how great the prospects are. Some used to post here a lot, but have been quiet this season.

sorry man, I realized that after I typed it.  I knew you didn't mean all fans.  And you were completely right about it too.  I'm not sure screaming for Lowe or MacTavish's head will work, IMO it's more likely that it will fall on deaf ears.  That's the problem with hiring friends to do the job, you overlook whatever shortcomings they may have. 

Hey you still have me blabbing on about how great our prospects are... who else would you need? :lol:

sorry man, I realized that after I typed it.  I knew you didn't mean all fans.  And you were completely right about it too.  I'm not sure screaming for Lowe or MacTavish's head will work, IMO it's more likely that it will fall on deaf ears.  That's the problem with hiring friends to do the job, you overlook whatever shortcomings they may have. 

Hey you still have me blabbing on about how great our prospects are... who else would you need? :lol:

Checking out your board you aren't the only soul screaming in the darkness.

A few realize that @ least 1 of their idols has to be traded to transform the Oilers from bottom enders.

Unfortunately many of those still think 1 of those 1/1 picks = an upgrade. Realistically those are still all unproven players (now earning $6 million) that haven't won a darn thing. 3 consecutive 1/1s & not even a Calder.

Hemsky & Gagner aren't going to get them a Shea Weber. Nor will Yak (unless packaged with another of those kids &/or some 1st rounders). The sad thing is KLowe & whatever beard he assigns the GM title to think the same way. 

Nurse is a good start for a pick that actually required more thinking then grabbing the concensus 1/1 but he & the next 2 1st rounders are probably Edmonton's most marketable assets. This time they realized that Nurse was better served in junior rather then giving the suffering fans useless hope while stunting his play.

$6 million contracts aren't high on GMs shopping list when better players (Tavares) are playing for less. Many established players that add to your lineup come for less (especially if you look @ $s per point).

Yak's comments are trying to be explained away but there have been examples of other players that professed a wish to play in the NHL but bolted to the KHL when asked to play more of a team game. 

I know Edmonton wasn't high on any UFA's destination list & after being scorned so many times management decided to go the scorched earth route but they mishandled that too. After deciding they'd make Hall their poster boy they could have traded down a few spots the next years to get an equally good player @ a different position & a more developed player rather then adding more of the same speedy, smallish forwards. Maybe not all those draftees would have been pushed into the lineup before they could shave.

Have the Hawks just done the Oil a favor?...

Jason LaBarbera to the Hawks for future considerations...   http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=695925

So aside from losing a goaltender that had lost favor in Oilville, it also frees up a contract...

I'm going to assume this means at the draft.....or it could mean Jones for Kane. ;)

Little up to date info on the Oilers for the board, Oilers have now lost 5 in a row, and are now sitting tied at 29th overall with the NYI at 25 pts after 37 games played and while the isles have only played 35 Oilers are only 4 points ahead of Buffalo for last overall. They have just traded Limus Omark to Buffalo for a 6th rounder. (not a huge loss) But the cause of concern for Oiler fans would be that MacT publically stated at the start of the season of "big moves" and so far its been anything but.

Yakupov is now at 5g, 7a, and a -25!!!!!

Justin Schultz is 3g, 9a, and a -15!

While its no surprise there are minus players on a losing team, what is surprising is that these are young 1st rounders struggling on a team and still being given ice time on PP etc. If you were to take over the Oilers would you send these young players down? Judging from how Yakupov reacted to less ice time I doubt he would go and would either A) request a trade or B) fly to Russia.

Also Sam Gagner was touted last year as a breakout for him when he collected 8 pts in 1 game. He later signed a new contract at 4.8m for 3yrs, so far he is at 4g 8a for 12 pts in 23 games played. Hes a streaky player at best, and while the cap does go up next year the Oilers have a bad habit of giving big money for only potential and then wonder where the heart and desire is. Gagner is a career -64 on an offensive first team.

My question is two parts, again if you were GM what would your course of action be and game plan for the team 3 yr max

2) what do you think WILL happen through the rest of the season and off season.

Little up to date info on the Oilers for the board, Oilers have now lost 5 in a row, and are now sitting tied at 29th overall with the NYI at 25 pts after 37 games played and while the isles have only played 35 Oilers are only 4 points ahead of Buffalo for last overall. They have just traded Limus Omark to Buffalo for a 6th rounder. (not a huge loss) But the cause of concern for Oiler fans would be that MacT publically stated at the start of the season of "big moves" and so far its been anything but.

Yakupov is now at 5g, 7a, and a -25!!!!!

Justin Schultz is 3g, 9a, and a -15!

While its no surprise there are minus players on a losing team, what is surprising is that these are young 1st rounders struggling on a team and still being given ice time on PP etc. If you were to take over the Oilers would you send these young players down? Judging from how Yakupov reacted to less ice time I doubt he would go and would either A) request a trade or B) fly to Russia.

Also Sam Gagner was touted last year as a breakout for him when he collected 8 pts in 1 game. He later signed a new contract at 4.8m for 3yrs, so far he is at 4g 8a for 12 pts in 23 games played. Hes a streaky player at best, and while the cap does go up next year the Oilers have a bad habit of giving big money for only potential and then wonder where the heart and desire is. Gagner is a career -64 on an offensive first team.

My question is two parts, again if you were GM what would your course of action be and game plan for the team 3 yr max

2) what do you think WILL happen through the rest of the season and off season.

Sort of deflecting your question, but....

Management's efforts in improving the team is one issue in E-town.  The bigger issue is the one that plagued the Flames over the years and is being fixed through the rebuild.  It's called entitlement.

Why bother playing your guts out if you can get away with not doing it?  No reason to.  What is the punishment for slacking off or coasting?  Nothing.  You might get benched if you are being made an example of.  No milk and cookies for you. 

Edmonton has developed a culture that all 1st rounders get big paydays.  High profile players get a pass (J.Schultz), low impact players (Yak and Gagner) lose some minutes, get moved around, then gain minutes when they get a point. Arcobello gets sent down, yet Yak stays in the lineup.  Coach's son gets kept on the roster, even though they are better/bigger impact players out there.  Fans want to see the stars play, whether they win or not, not some AHL players win by showing heart.

The Oilers want to play a run and gun style, but they don't have any defense, and very little goaltending capable of sustaining this type of play.  Forwards don't backcheck because they are tired from skating top speed on their shift, or they are knocked down and are completely out of the play.  They don't want to finish or take a check, cause it may hurt or the guy will target them.  Quiver, quiver.

I don't think Eakins will last because the team is filled with Stars that pay his salary.  MacT may make a few BOLD moves but that won't get rid of the attitude. 

Sort of deflecting your question, but....

Management's efforts in improving the team is one issue in E-town.  The bigger issue is the one that plagued the Flames over the years and is being fixed through the rebuild.  It's called entitlement.

Why bother playing your guts out if you can get away with not doing it?  No reason to.  What is the punishment for slacking off or coasting?  Nothing.  You might get benched if you are being made an example of.  No milk and cookies for you. 

Edmonton has developed a culture that all 1st rounders get big paydays.  High profile players get a pass (J.Schultz), low impact players (Yak and Gagner) lose some minutes, get moved around, then gain minutes when they get a point. Arcobello gets sent down, yet Yak stays in the lineup.  Coach's son gets kept on the roster, even though they are better/bigger impact players out there.  Fans want to see the stars play, whether they win or not, not some AHL players win by showing heart.

The Oilers want to play a run and gun style, but they don't have any defense, and very little goaltending capable of sustaining this type of play.  Forwards don't backcheck because they are tired from skating top speed on their shift, or they are knocked down and are completely out of the play.  They don't want to finish or take a check, cause it may hurt or the guy will target them.  Quiver, quiver.

I don't think Eakins will last because the team is filled with Stars that pay his salary.  MacT may make a few BOLD moves but that won't get rid of the attitude. 

Not a deflection at all, you kinda answered it with logic (if that makes sense lol). I think its good we disect the Oilers to find the do's and dont's in our teams rebuild.

I agree with everything you said as well, if you give the kids the keys without earning the grades the likelyhood of them crashing the car or not taking care of that increases ten fold.

The problem is with Edmonton as I see it, you can't now send all these players to the AHL to develop the skills to be successful in the NHL. So they only have two options available, one is to stay the course and HOPE that SOMEHOW they develop together as a team and become better.... Thats some strong kool-aid to feed a fan base and ticket holders. The other option is to start removing some of the pieces just to bring in leadership, this is probably the better option but the way KLowe and Co. have opporated this is probably not exactly what they would do. They over value their top picks because they have "potential" but they lack so many areas in todays NHL game, a team will not pay top dollar and prospects etc for a player that is such a liability as a 1st or even 2nd line player in most teams systems. They would litteraly have to develop them again as Edmonton has done such a poor job currently.

Archived