Abbotsford Heat

Happy to see Irving's development. Not only for the Flames future but for his own. I started to feel pretty bad about the amount of heat (no pun intended) he was taking in the offseason and how many people were questioning him as a "bust".

Happy to see him prove him wrong. I'm not sure if its his cancer story or what but i've always found myself pulling for him to succeed and glad he finally is. He went into this season with a real positive attitude so looks like its paying off.

So I believe Irving's contract is up this year (not bad for an EL too $1,193,333M), he will be an RFA. Karlson is also up this year ($500,000) and will be a UFA. Do we keep them both? Playfair said on the Fan960 yesterday that if some bug or food poisoning swept our goalies in the big club that no question Irving would be ready to step into NHL action.

What to do with Karlson if Irving comes up though? Even though he has played pretty well, I don't think he has been playing enough to have much trade value. That could work to our advantage to re-sign him to a cap friendly contract and have the flexibility to allow Irving to continue to develop if need be.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I believe Irving's contract is up this year (not bad for an EL too $1,193,333M), he will be an RFA. Karlson is also up this year ($500,000) and will be a UFA. Do we keep them both? Playfair said on the Fan960 yesterday that if some bug or food poisoning swept our goalies in the big club that no question Irving would be ready to step into NHL action.

What to do with Karlson if Irving comes up though? Even though he has played pretty well, I don't think he has been playing enough to have much trade value. That could work to our advantage to re-sign him to a cap friendly contract and have the flexibility to allow Irving to continue to develop if need be.

Agreed.

I think both can be signed at reasonable prices. And you can never have too many goalies.

If they both continue to improve and deserve more time, that seems like a damn good problem to have, in my mind.

I agree, I think both should be retained.

I'm not keen on the idea of Iriving riding the bench and only playing 15 games a year, he still needs to play. I think he gets one more year of thta and ehn the season after that he should be able to play 20-30 games backing up Kipper.

I think the bigger question is can you convince Karlsson to come back at a reasonable salary and sit behind Miika again or has he shown enough for another team to come calling?

I think the bigger question is can you convince Karlsson to come back at a reasonable salary and sit behind Miika again or has he shown enough for another team to come calling?

Exactly. Also, will he be willing to play only 15 or so games again (though I would think that next year Kipper's totals will be lower)

I wasn't even aware that Bouma was sent to Abbotsford yesterday.

Oklahoma City beat the Heat tonight 3-1 down at the Dome.

A person would have thought they would have responded to the cheering Dome fans.

Also you think they would want to impress the Flames brass with their stellar play.

Oh well. :rolleyes:

Statistical Game Summary

Attendance: 8407 - Thought the draw would have been better as tix were only $15-$35.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived