Abbotsford Heat

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Someone has presented a rumor involving Lundmark that had him being shipped off to New York for an alleged trade with the Islanders yesterday? I have seen no sources to legitimize this story and was wondering if anyone who is around the Heat can shoot this one down.

Nope. Haven't seen any validity of this rumour. I've checked the AHL website and it says nothing.

• 2 weeks later...

The Heat now had three games in three nights ... they lost 1-3 to San Antonio on Friday, but won against the same team on Saturday, 3-2 after shootout. The Heat then won 4-3 in OT against Houston yesterday, rallying back from a 2-0 deficit. David van der Gulik has returned from injury and got the game winning goals in both wins: the deciding penalty in the ninth round of the shootout vs San Antonio and the OT winner vs Houston. JD Watt had his first two goal night of his pro career in the Houston win. With the two wins, Abbotsford improved to 2-2-1 on the five game road trip.

Abbotsford now sits (18-16-5) in fourth place in the North Division, two points ahead of Grand Rapids. The Griffins do have two games in hand, though. I guess it will be a tough battle for the final playoff spot.

I think it is also notable that the Heat have the most PIMs in the whole league, and by quite a big margin (1034, Syracuse in second with 942).

• 3 weeks later...

Here'a little tidbit from the article after the Heat's first comeback win of the year. They are now 1-13 when trailing after 2 periods:

Not to be forgotten in the aftermath of the thrilling comeback was the fact that the Heat's goaltending situation remains a question mark. Playfair gave Keetley a vote of confidence last Saturday, anointing him the team's No. 1 goaltender after the third-year pro backstopped Abbotsford to four consecutive victories.

But Playfair ended up pulling Keetley twice in the past week – in the second period of an eventual 4-3 OT loss to the Manitoba Moose on Tuesday, and again on Saturday – prompting the Heat head coach to issue a challenge to his netminding tandem.

"I'm getting sick of changing goaltenders," Playfair said. "I expect one of these guys to get real serious about their careers and to make a heavy push for wanting the responsibilities of the No. 1 goaltender. Other than Keetley in the Texas series (last weekend), I think both goaltenders have been average, and that's not good enough."

Personally, I haven't seen Irving play up to the level needed to jump to the bigs. He has a losing record (11-14-2, 2.51 GAA, .915%, 1 SO) and although the other numbers there are decent, something is going on in his head, so to speak. Maybe there are others who have seen him play more, but I'm not sold on his goalie of the future tag.

Keetley, on the other hand, has played brillaint in most games, and his stats are a bit better (8-5-1, 2.57 GAA, .917%, 1 SO). He seems a man possessed on many nights when he does play, and I think the rest of the guys play better in front of him.

Let the Irving / Keetley debate begin.

ahl_small.gifJanuary 23, 2010

Houston 5 at Abbotsford 4

Scoring
1. ABB Van der Gulik, (7) (Negrin, Jaffray), 1:17
1. ABB Meyers, (2) (Backlund), 12:16 (PP)
2. HOU Kalus, (8) (Almond, Gunderson), 1:39 (PP)
2. HOU Noreau, (13) (DiSalvatore, Almond), 4:20 (PP)
2. HOU DiSalvatore, (16) (Noreau, Almond), 5:33 (PP)
3. ABB Cunning, (7) (Meyers, Watt), 2:30
3. ABB Stuart, (11) (Jaffray, Van der Gulik), 3:27
3. HOU Milroy, (6) (Rau), 18:47
OT. HOU Rogers, (3) (Gillies), 2:43

Three Stars
1. ABB - 37 David Van der Gulik

2. ABB - 3 Josh Meyers

3. HOU - 12 Cody Almond

Houston 5 at Abbotsford 4 (Game Summary)

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The Heat have edged Lake Erie, 5-3. Jason Jaffray had a hattrick, Staffan Kronwall and Garth Murray also scored. David Van der Gulik and Olivier Latendresse had two assists each. The Heat are hot at the moment - 13-2-3 in their last 18 games! They seem to reach the playoffs without any problems, currently being tied for the second position in the North Division with 78 points. They are 11 points ahead of 5th placed Lake Erie - looks really good. Nice to see the farmteam being successful.

Too bad we already have so many forwards on the Flames roster, it feels like guys like Jaffray, Van der Gulik or Stuart would deserve a call-up every once in a while.

http://www.bclocalnews.co.../heat/news/87602762.html

The Heat added left winger Logan MacMillan to the roster this week, on loan from the Anaheim Ducks. MacMillan, a rookie pro who was the Ducks' first-round pick in 2007 (19th overall), posted two goals and four assists in 30 games with the ECHL's Bakersfield Condors this season. The 20-year-old joins fellow Ducks prospects Mark Mitera and Shawn Weller on loan to the Heat.

To make room for MacMillan, the Heat re-assigned Ben Gordon back to the Reading Royals of the ECHL.

"We'll practice with (MacMillan) next week, and we'll see where he's at," Playfair said.

Also, the Heat hit the road this weekend for a pair of games. They'll see the Monsters in Cleveland again on Saturday, and visit the Toronto Marlies on Sunday. This is also the first time the Heat will be on national TV this year.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

After the Hamilton game, the Heat (and Irving) beat Rochester 1-0 to end the road trip. Put Irving for a share of the league lead for shutouts and in sole possesion of the win column. So why was he not an All-Star? They still irks me.

Last night they beat the Marlies 4-1, Ryan Stone with a hat trick. Back at it again tonight at 7 pm local. As always, listen live at country107.com

More on Irving from the Flames site today...

The Flames 2006 first-round pick (26th overall) has a 24-16-2 record with a 2.31 GAA and a .912 save percentage. Irving leads the American Hockey League in wins, shootout wins (9) and is tied for second in the league in shutouts.

Irving is coming off a week in which he went 4-0-0 with a .964 save percentage and a 1.00 GAA, registering two shutouts and turning aside 104 of 108 shots. His impressive numbers had him as a nominee for the Reebok/AHL Player of the Week.

We are finally seeing some progress from a few of the young'uns

Happy to see Irving's development. Not only for the Flames future but for his own. I started to feel pretty bad about the amount of heat (no pun intended) he was taking in the offseason and how many people were questioning him as a "bust".

Happy to see him prove him wrong. I'm not sure if its his cancer story or what but i've always found myself pulling for him to succeed and glad he finally is. He went into this season with a real positive attitude so looks like its paying off.

Archived