2008 Flames Development Camp

I took some random picks for those who asked. Pardon the quality as I tried to keep them small to upload. Enjoy:

Here is the End of Group B's Morning skate (Deilert in the middle):

Keenan in the shadows:

Keetly warming up:

Larson was the first one on the ice of his group:

Negrin doing a drill with the other 3 defensemen:

Group B trying to push the boards over in the afternoon :D :

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

O.K. I have posted the groups, some random picks and now here are my impressions:

I am really glad that I went as I really enjoyed the whole thing :rolleyes: . I was there for about 2/3 of it.

I tended to focus on the defensemen as there were less of them & the white jerseys made it easier.

For group b, I was immediately impressed by Aulie, Pelech & Deilert as they seemed to be at a higher level then Wilson. I claim to know nothing about hockey so for the skating part I thought that Wilson held his own on the goal line to red line timed sprints (Contrary to the scouting report of him being a knee knocker?). When he was finished he would get a high five from Pelech (Pals in the OHL?). In those same sprints Aulie did great for a big guy and I think Pelech was the fastest of all of the skaters by the cheers of his teammates & the coach saying stuff that I couldn't hear? (WOW).

For group a, I noticed how Nemisz stood out in size, he disappeared of the ice shortly after, not sure why? For me Negrin was the focus of the defensemen as he seemed to be very crisp the majority of the time for skating and puck control.

Man im excited, im going tomorrow!!

Who messed up and let you back in the country? :P

I'd love to drop by and see the FDC, but I'm stuck in Toronto because of work :o Hopefully Boyd takes his game to a higher level.

I took some random picks for those who asked. Pardon the quality as I tried to keep them small to upload. Enjoy:

Here is the End of Group B's Morning skate (Deilert in the middle):

(snip)

Thanks for the pictures.

Tip:

If you get a photobucket account (http://www.photobucket.com/' target="_blank">www.photobucket.com[/post]) you can link directly to pictures you can upload on their site, and actually have them show up in a reasonable fashion here as well.

DAY 3 PROSPECTS CAMP

First of all I am going to try to have a small write up on every prospect except Boyd; he is not really a prospect. I want to apologize for some criticism just commenting on how they played not the person.

GROUP A

FORWARDS

75 John Armstrong

I actually saw some light at the end of the tunnel for Armstrong. His skating and passing picked up today. He made some huge improvements moving the puck around. His passing was excellent, needs to get more consistent. Today was the first day I have noticed him. Armstrong made some great shots today, picking the corners on the goalies.

74 Hugo Carpentier

Hugo had a pretty good day today. His speed was excellent, and his shot has to be more accurate.. I love this kid Hugo he has a huge upside.

62 Kris Chucko

Kris had a rough day today, he was fighting with the puck. Still love his shot but has to get it off quicker. Chucko needs to stop fighting the puck, start having fun he looks to tight on the ice.

73 Ryley Grantham

Ryley is still rough around the edges, but had a great camp day. Made some great passes and scored some nice shots. I still think, he has a lot of potential but not quite there yet. Grantham is an average skater, and has some good puck skills.

58 Nick Larson

Nick really has a quick shot needs to get it more accurate. If he can improve his accuracy has potential to become a player. Nick has great speed, and his puck control is adequate. Nick made a couple of great shots

48. Greg Nemisz

Greg had mostlya sup par day today. Greg was fighting the puck, struggling to keep the puck under control. His speed was still excellent. I still think Greg will be a Nhler some day.

72. C.J. Severyn

Didn

DAY 3 PROSPECTS CAMP

First of all I am going to try to have a small write up on every prospect except Boyd; he is not really a prospect. I want to apologize for some criticism just commenting on how they played not the person.

<snip for length>.

Good update/info!

How did the Tenders look?

Good update/info!

How did the Tenders look?

Keetly

has been great has trouble controling the rebounds great glove hand best in the camp

Lalonde

been great I had no idea he was this good great latteral movment

Irving

Very close to Keetly controls the rebounds the bests he

Sprat

very good great reflexes best stick handler

hopes this helps

DAY 3 PROSPECTS CAMP

Thanks for the updates.

Could you or anyone find the time to rate the attributes of some of these kids in this fashion with a quick 0 to 5 score (where 5 is the best)?

Player Name

Skills (0 to 5)

Speed:

Passing:

Shot Power:

Shot Accuracy:

Puck Handling/Control:

Awareness (0 to 5)

Creativity with puck:

Vision with puck:

Defensive Positioning:

Use of size:

Perference (shoot or pass):

Thanks in advance!

Have the Flames added another player to the prospects camp? Watch the Kevin Lalande development camp interview, he is standing in front of a stall that has the name "Jonathan Tremblay" on it. Is that this guy?

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid=62240''>http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid=62240' target="_blank">http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid=62240[/post]

He signed an AHL contract.

Tremblay is one and the same. He is a pretty good goon by all accounts but is about as useless as they come in all other aspects of the game.

DAY 4 PROSPECTS CAMP

First of all, I am going to try to have a small write up on every prospect except Boyd; he is not really a prospect. I want to apologize for some criticisms, I am just commenting on how they played, not on the person.

GROUP A

FORWARDS

75 John Armstrong

John continues to shine he is beginning to show why we drafted him. John had some very nice shots which show a lot of promise. I love his speed he was very good today. His passes were precise and hard to the target.

74 Hugo Carpentier

Hugo was again very good today he is really molding into a solid prospect. He is getting stronger, I like his strength he is becoming like a Kenny linesmen only with more scoring.

62 Kris Chucko

Chucko had his best day today, finally started skating and shooting. Today he did not fight the puck once. Chucko was really hustling out there showed a lot of grit. He was using his body, the drill they were doing with two forwards on one defensemen, Chucko was a monster in that drill.

73 Ryley Grantham

Riley was alright today, still right in the middle needs to standout a little more. Ryley needs to get a little tougher and play tougher.

58 Nick Larson

Nick has improved with each day. Nick has played very well and showed some real offensive punch. He has a quick shot, and very accurate. Larson has great hands which in able him to accept passes and shoot quickly. Nick is a great looking prospect; he is fast and very tricky in the offensive zone.

48 Greg Nemisz

Greg had a great day nice come back from yesterday. Greg was making some very nice shots, and nice soft passes. Was working very hard on the 2-1 drill, made some very good passes missed a couple of shots but his heart was there.

72 C.J. Severyn

It was like C.J. read my comments he went out and stood out today, He was very good making some very good shots, and he is a very fast skater. I can see a lot of Eric Nystom in him. C.J. has three years of college left being at Ohio State University.

52 Mitch Wahl

What more can I say about Mitch that I haven

Good to hear the progress reports, but the biggest question on my mind is, how does Backlund look compared to Boyd?

From what Sutter's said the determining factor in Mikal Backlund making the Calgary roster is if he can beat out a guy like Boyd or Lombardi for a top six spot.

Good to hear the progress reports, but the biggest question on my mind is, how does Backlund look compared to Boyd?

From what Sutter's said the determining factor in Mikal Backlund making the Calgary roster is if he can beat out a guy like Boyd or Lombardi for a top six spot.

my opinion:

backlund is a diamond in the rough. there's absolutely no way he's as developed as lombardi, currently, and he may have more innate talent than boyd but he could probably use another year of maturing and growing physically at the very least. boyd came to camp ready to play and is definitely standing out in the (weaker) group A.

Backlund has been the story of the camp he is fantastic The only better player is boyd if he is

AY 5 PROSPECTS CAMP

GROUP A

FORWARDS

75 John Armstrong

John was okay today, I love his speed. He had a couple of great moments shooting the puck. He has some great moves but he needs to stand out a little more.

74 Hugo Carpentier

Hugo is going to be a solid third or second line center. I love that fact he used his size made quite a few hits. If he uses his weight he will be a good one. Hugo has a terrific crash and bang game.

62 Kris Chucko

Chucko made a few nice plays today. The thing that I find interesting is Chucko has to get more consistent. If he uses a bit of nastiness in his game he becomes more effective. He has the tool just needs to start using them.

73 Ryley Grantham

Ryley has a great shot, his speed was alright today. Still needs to build some muscle, He is not great at everything but he is sufficient at everything.

58 Nick Larson

Nick continues to do well he is simply amazing to me. He has a quick release on his shot, which sometimes can surprise some people. I love his ability to use his speed to make defensemen panic. He has been one of the most pleasant surprises for me.

48 Greg Nemisz

Greg is a very good prospect who is only going to get better. He has a great shot and good vision on the ice. The only concern I have is the fighting the puck issue. If he can work on his puck control I am sure he will be a keeper.

72 C.J. Severyn

C.J. Severyn is very responsible in his zone he is going to be a very good defensive forward. That is not to say he won’t score a few, but he will definitely help stop the puck from going in.

52 Mitch Wahl

I can not believe we got Mitch in the 2nd round how did he last this long. Wahl is a terrific all around prospect I can not find any concerns. Like I have said all week this kid simply makes me smile.

DEFENSE

67 Gord Baldwin

Gord continued with some nice hits. He was beaten a couple of times on the drills but who is perfect. His size and ability makes him a solid prospect.

66 T. J. Brodie

Bordie has really impressed me these last two days. I love his speed his skating is among the best on the team. During the skating drills this afternoon he look as smooth as it gets.

49 Brad Cole

Brad Cole in my honest opinion should get some consideration for a spot. Now I know its not any game action yet but he has been outstanding. He is a great stay home defenseman, with some scoring punch.

61 John Negrin

John made a nice come back today in his skating, He is a solid defensemen who needs to work on his upper strength. I think he will be a solid defensemen but needs some seasoning.

GOALIES

36 Matt Keetley

Matt is clearly a very good goalie, he is one of the best goaltending prospects out there. He has quick reflexes and a very good glove hand.

38 Kevin Lalonde

Kevin remains a consistent goalie he just remains on a even keel. He never gets to high and rarely looses his head. Kevin has really surprised me he has really improved his play in this camp.

GROUP B

FORWARDS

60 Mikael Backlund

Backlund did not have his best day but Mikael is allowed to be human. But in the shoot out Backlund was fun out there almost making some trick shots. By far he is the best prospect we have.

57 Lance Bouma

I thought Lance had his best day today his speed was terrific. He can be a spark plug on a team he just needs to get motivated. Lance was very good today I like his enthusiasm in his play today.

51. Chris Bruton

Chris has really done well this camp he has been steady all camp. He has good hands, and very good shot. Chris made a couple of very good soft passes.

76 Jordon Fulton

Jordon made some terrific plays today he had a very good day. I witnessed his ability to work in tight corners, and showed some great promise. Jordon was on fire today.

47 Kyle Greentree

Kyle was described to me today by one of the fans as simply Mr. consistent. Kyle simply shoots the puck on net, he will either make the goalie save the puck or it is in the net. To me he could be a steal from Philly a great pick up by Sutter.

77 Marvin Aaron

Marvin showed some gumption today, made a few solid hits. Aaron got into the corners made some nice passes and some shots. He showed some improvement this morning I liked what I saw today.

43 Daniel Ryder

Daniel was again very good he has all tools to be a solid forward/prospect. Did have some trouble in the skating drills this afternoon, but I am not to concerned Daniel is a great player I am so happy he has made the decision to come back.

Brett Sutter

Brent was a total spark plug he is a pure skater. Brett shot a perfect slap shot in the shoot out and blew right by I think it was Irving.

J. D. Watt

J.D. is going to be that big bulking forward who is going to give goalies nightmares. He is very strong and will be very hard to take off his feet.

DEFENSEMEN

54 Keith Aulie

Keith was solid today he was more consistent with his play. Had a better skating day he did better with the drills. Won’t be a scoring defensemen Keith is a stay home guy.

80 Alexander Dielert

Alexander put a show on the shoot out today made a spectacular move on the shoot out. He has impressive puck skills. He has a great shot and could be an impressive offensive defensemen. I really enjoy watching Alexander with the puck.

Matt Pelech

Pelech is a monster he is big and strong no doubt why Sutter drafted this kid. He is a Sutter kid big mean and nasty a perfect Sutter player.

78 Ryan Wilson

I like Ryan a lot I think he has been a good pick up by the flames. I really like his ability to be thinking on the go. I see a lot of upside in Wilson, I think he can be a offensive defenseman with some nastiness.

35 Leland Irving

Leland is a goaltender that is only going to get better. His strength continues to be controlling his rebounds if you don’t beat him on the first try you don'

Archived