2008 Flames Development Camp

does anyone know when/where prospect camp is this summer ? last year it started the week after stampede and was held at the hartman sporsplex in the NE.

i can't seem to find any info about it this year.... perhaps not open to the public ?

discuss.

Think it starts the week of the 21st. Not sure where though.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On the schedule it says 'Group A' and 'Group B' ...

but how can you tell who's in what group?? :huh:

they'll release that info closer to the date, i presume, or on day 1 (goalie camp). if i remember correctly there were also some scrimmages between groups last year, though that may have been rookie camp....

i forget.

they'll release that info closer to the date, i presume, or on day 1 (goalie camp). if i remember correctly there were also some scrimmages between groups last year, though that may have been rookie camp....

i forget.

There were some scrimages on the final day. Informal scrimages that mainly focused on situatuion. They played some 4 on 4 and 3 on 3, no refs, no real lines or any organization, but they usually scrimmage.

LIttle dissaopinted Per Johnsson isn't going to be there. I was actually impressed with him last year and he was looking like a bit of a diamond in the rough. HOpeflly Deilert is in the same mold. Happy to see virtually all the new picks are going to be there, as well as Ryder and Aaron Marvin. Marvin's a guy that really impressed me last year, but can't attend main camp due to the NCAA regulations so its really the only chance to get to see him.

When did the Flames get Chris Bruton from the Spokane Chiefs?

I was wondering the same thing. There's been no announcement.

From what I understand only players on their first contracts can attend the camp (ie. that's why Pardy and Prust aren't there and Boyd is). However, I'm not sure if unsigned players can come as 'invitees' or not.

I know it is only a snippet of data to work with but I don't see why everyone is chomping at the bit over Backlund. 26 points in 46 games in this past year of junior does not bode well for him to have line 1 or line 2 potential in the NHL. Can someone more in the know enlighten me as to why this kid is projected to be a superstar for the Flames?

I know it is only a snippet of data to work with but I don't see why everyone is chomping at the bit over Backlund. 26 points in 46 games in this past year of junior does not bode well for him to have line 1 or line 2 potential in the NHL. Can someone more in the know enlighten me as to why this kid is projected to be a superstar for the Flames?

That wasn't in junior. He was in Sweden. Those are decent numbers for a 18 year old over there who was the youngest player on his team. It's the equivalent of a kid skipping junior to play in the AHL. Plus, he was one of the top 5 players in the World Juniors last year. He was originally pegged as a potential top 10 draft pick but then was injured which saw his numbers and draft status decline.

I don't think he'll be a superstar but I think he has a solid NHL future. Some people compare him to Zetterberg in the way that he plays. I don't think he'll ever be THAT good but a good top 6 NHLer.

LIke Red said, he is player pro hockey amongst 25 plus year old, for the most part, as an 18/19 year old. He mainly received 3rd line or lower minutes so when you factor that in his numbers are more impressive. I don't have a link, but Backlund was top 2 on his team for scoring in the playoffs when he was granted extra ice time. Top that off with the fact hes been one of the best players in his age category internationally for sweden, and on all his junior teams, there is a ton of potential there.

Hmm I thought Adam Cracknell was still a Flames prospect.. I don't see him anywhere on that list.

If i'm not mistaken Cracknell is already on his 2nd pro contract, I thought he was resigned this offseason, and thus not eligible for development camp. ONly players on their first pro deal are able to attend Camp.

As far as I know Cracknell is still Flames property.

There were some scrimages on the final day. Informal scrimages that mainly focused on situatuion. They played some 4 on 4 and 3 on 3, no refs, no real lines or any organization, but they usually scrimmage.

LIttle dissaopinted Per Johnsson isn't going to be there. I was actually impressed with him last year and he was looking like a bit of a diamond in the rough. HOpeflly Deilert is in the same mold. Happy to see virtually all the new picks are going to be there, as well as Ryder and Aaron Marvin. Marvin's a guy that really impressed me last year, but can't attend main camp due to the NCAA regulations so its really the only chance to get to see him.

I agree about Jonsson.

I thought that the NCAA restrictions meant that a player can attend the camp, It just has to be on there own dollar & there can be no benefits to them (Swag, etc)? Isn't that how Larson is attending the camp or is it because he will play for Waterloo next year before going to Nortre Dame in 09/10?

After the Brunnstrom sweepstakes, some International analyst have put Backlund as high as the 3rd most talented player not in the NHL. I was kind of surpirsed and impressed by that as well.

I agree about Jonsson.

I thought that the NCAA restrictions meant that a player can attend the camp, It just has to be on there own dollar & there can be no benefits to them (Swag, etc)? Isn't that how Larson is attending the camp or is it because he will play for Waterloo next year before going to Nortre Dame in 09/10?

Don't quote me too much on this, because to be honest the NCAA seems to change their guidelines on a case to case basis.

As far as I know NCAA players are not allowed to attend Rookie camps, because they are considered pro camps. Devleopment camps are not considered pro camps. Development camps are only for rookies that have yet to sign a contract or on their first pro contract. Rookie camps, again if i'm not mistaken, are only attended by players under contract with the organization.

So NCAA players can attend development camps, just not the rookie camp in the fall.

re: backlund's numbers:

sweden's hockey system is more comparable to the england soccer system than the north american hockey system. the eliteserien and allsvensken are more like the premiership and the championship league, where there's relegation at the end of each season. the allsvenskan is not a feeder system for the eliteserien the way the AHL is for the NHL, it just means the teams aren't as strong and the players aren't generally as good.

during the lockout, michael ryder joined an allsvenskan team (lecksands), where he saw more icetime than he would've on an eliteserien team. the same can, presumeably, be said for backlund.

backlund's team, vaster

re: backlund's numbers:

sweden's hockey system is more comparable to the england soccer system than the north american hockey system. the eliteserien and allsvensken are more like the premiership and the championship league, where there's relegation at the end of each season. the allsvenskan is not a feeder system for the eliteserien the way the AHL is for the NHL, it just means the teams aren't as strong and the players aren't generally as good.

during the lockout, michael ryder joined an allsvenskan team (lecksands), where he saw more icetime than he would've on an eliteserien team. the same can, presumeably, be said for backlund.

backlund's team, vaster

Flames Development Camp?

Starts tomorrow, should be interesting or at least have some good stalking potential for the young'ns

i know i'll be there :)

If I wasn't working every day, I probably would. I might come on Tuesday if I'm not busy, but I thinking I'm already hanging out with some people.

If I do come, anyone want to set up a meeting spot for all forum goers?

Archived