2008 Flames Development Camp

Any chance to see any reports out of camp? Haven't been able to find anything so far.

Starts today, July 21, with the goalies. Skaters hit the ice tommorow.

I'm hopiong to squeeze in one day this week, but at the least will be attending Saturday. And I'll be more than willing to report on the goings ons and who I like etc etc etc.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those of you who missed the Herald post about today's camp, they highlighted Ryder's return.

Theoretically, it was going to be an uneventful day at the Flames' prospect camp.

After all, it was a goalies-only session Monday afternoon — for Messrs. Lalande, Spratt, Irving and Keetley, with whip-crackers David Marcoux and Jamie McLennan blowing the whistles.

But then, out came the day's designated shooters — D Alexander Deilert, C John Armstrong, RW Kris Chucko, C Mikael Backlund . . . and, ta da, C Daniel Ryder. Even your humble agent can recognize that as a story, a big story.A pleasant surprise, Ryder agreed to meet the media. Soft-spoken, the 21-year-old explained that last winter's one-way trip out of Quad City — after having played only six AHL games — was because he was burned out. (Not his words, but certainly his meaning after back-to-back nine-month seasons, with 44 playoff games, in the OHL.)

Read the rest for some Ryder quotes.

I can understand burnout and kind of getting past the 'honeymoon' phase of something, but I genuinely hope he's got it set in his mind in a way that he can... well... BRING IT.

;)

Starts today, July 21, with the goalies. Skaters hit the ice tommorow.

I'm hopiong to squeeze in one day this week, but at the least will be attending Saturday. And I'll be more than willing to report on the goings ons and who I like etc etc etc.

Sweet, looking forward to it

Anyone going to the development camp going to post any pictures on here?

I'll definetly be taking some pictures on Friday and Saturday. I'll post them here after.

I can understand burnout and kind of getting past the 'honeymoon' phase of something, but I genuinely hope he's got it set in his mind in a way that he can... well... BRING IT.

I definetly understand the burnout. These kids live and breath hockey all year and for some people it takes a toll on them. Hopefully the year off has Ryder refreshed and motivated to play hockey and get his pro career started.

Backlund impresses

Mikael Backlund

Please this kid is like a man among boys Backlund is simply put the best prospects in the camp. He is scary good with the puck, he does things with the puck that could be considered larceny in most provinces. He excels at everything; if you ask me they may have a hard time not keeping him in the line up how can you not but consider him. He has done everything well.

Mikael Backlund - I had fairly high expectations coming into the practice and man did the kid live up to them. By far the most talented player on the ice. Great shot, great skater. The thing that really impressed me was his 2nd and 3rd efforts if the goalies stopped him. He is a great talent, extremely talented with the puck.

reports from calgarypuck forum

Good summary.

Regarding numbers, Ovechkin put up some 13g/13a in 37 games in Dinamo Moskva in his last season before coming over.

Its difficult, if not impossible, to project scoring/talent on points alone for such young players in completely different environments.

re: the summary

i've been. i've watched. i get it...

:)

As I had created a thread for Aulie, I wanted to go for sure and see him plus everyone else on Wednesday. Here are the groups that I saw:

Group 'A"

75 Armstrong, John C

67 Baldwin, Gord LD

41 Boyd, Dustin LW/C

66 Brodie, T.J. LD

74 Carpentier, Hugo C

62 Chucko, Kris RW

49 Cole, Brad LD

73 Grantham, Ryley LW/C

58 Larson, Nick LW/C

61 Negrin, John LD

48 Nemisz, Greg RW

72 Severyn, C.J. LW

52 Wahl, Mitch C

36 Keetley, Matt G

38 Lalande, Kevin G

Group 'B"

54 Aulie, Keith LD

60 Backlund, Mikael C

57 Bouma, Lance LW

51 Brunton, Chris C

80 Deilert, Alexander LD

76 Fulton, Jordan C

47 Greentree, Kyle LW

77 Marvin, Aaron C

56 Pelech, Matt RD

43 Ryder, Daniel C

42 Sutter, Brett LW

69 Watt, J.D. RW

78 Wilson, Ryan LD

35 Irving, Leland G

79 Spratt, Jim G

Defensemen wore white jerseys, Forwards with Red: both with numbers.

The early times was skill based (puck and positioning) that included goalies. Marcoux & Noodles coached the goalies. Fleming seemed to lead the session with Playfair, Ron Sutter & Mcgill. No hitting or scrimmaging.

The later times was strictly skating (No goalies or nets) with the skating coach, Allen & another guy I did not recognize.

Keenan, Preston & Darryl were present without being on the ice.

At times there were up to two dozen people in the bowl & at the peak there were a couple dozen up top with me. There was one guy looking for Calgarypuck blogers? It was very cold in there.

Archived