Prospect Update

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

One fact I think people should notice about this prospect report is Leland Irving. There was a large consensus on this board, and in hockey to a certain extenet, that was starting to questions the potential of Irving after he was cut from Team Canada. Last year he was consdiered to be one of our best prospects, now you see him thrown in all kinds of trades because people think Keetley is so much better and Irving is overrated etc etc.All he has done after that is fight his way back to beign one of the top goalies in the dub again and improve his number in virtually every category and solidify his status as a top goailie prospect. he has fought back despite being cut from Team Canada and has shown amazing, IMO, resolve and determination for a 19 year old kid.

One fact I think people should notice about this prospect report is Leland Irving. There was a large consensus on this board, and in hockey to a certain extenet, that was starting to questions the potential of Irving after he was cut from Team Canada. Last year he was consdiered to be one of our best prospects, now you see him thrown in all kinds of trades because people think Keetley is so much better and Irving is overrated etc etc.All he has done after that is fight his way back to beign one of the top goalies in the dub again and improve his number in virtually every category and solidify his status as a top goailie prospect. he has fought back despite being cut from Team Canada and has shown amazing, IMO, resolve and determination for a 19 year old kid.

Slow starter perhaps.....Flame fan's know about that all too well. *cough* Kipper *cough*

Slow starter perhaps.....Flame fan's know about that all too well. *cough* Kipper *cough*

Not known as one. He and the silvertips came flying out of the gate last year and were the best team in the dub with Irving leading most goalie cateogries.

Its been a tougher year for Irving and the Tips though and that influenced his stats. They lost some key players, Mueler, Cala, and a dman whose name escapes me, but their biggest lost was Kevin Constantine. He had that team very dialed in for a junior team an dthus why they excelled. They struggled early with the Change and Irving took some time to adjust. You have to credit how well he has battled, given all that has gone on this year.

• 2 weeks later...

Sure most people caught this, but on the Sportsnet broadcast they had an "In the system" update with Sam Cosantine. While I know little about Constantine's sources, although he is a very knowledgable guy, though this was worth noting.

He was suggested he is starting to hear rumblings that Mikael Backlund is going to play next season with the Kelowna Rockets, who do own his rights. If this does happen I think it woudl be amazing. Kelowna has one of the best junior programs in Canada and would be the best step for Backlund. He would definetly play top minutese and IMO would be in the top 5 in scoring in the dub. Lets all hope this happens.

On top of that, Flames fans would likely get to see him live once or twice.

Sure most people caught this, but on the Sportsnet broadcast they had an "In the system" update with Sam Cosantine. While I know little about Constantine's sources, although he is a very knowledgable guy, though this was worth noting.

He was suggested he is starting to hear rumblings that Mikael Backlund is going to play next season with the Kelowna Rockets, who do own his rights. If this does happen I think it woudl be amazing. Kelowna has one of the best junior programs in Canada and would be the best step for Backlund. He would definetly play top minutese and IMO would be in the top 5 in scoring in the dub. Lets all hope this happens.

On top of that, Flames fans would likely get to see him live once or twice.

That is great news if it was true. It's much better for his development to play top line minutes with the Kelowna Rockets than to play as a 4th liner in the Swedish leagues. Kelowna does have one of the best junior programs in Canada.

That is great news if it was true. It's much better for his development to play top line minutes with the Kelowna Rockets than to play as a 4th liner in the Swedish leagues. Kelowna does have one of the best junior programs in Canada.

From all accounts of the praise he got from Sutter, you think he'd be able to skip Jr and go play into the AHL next season? If he managed to get 1st or 2nd line minutes there I'd think it'd be more beneficial plus i don't think its impossible for him to get an AHL roster spot at this point given what I was seeing in the WJC...though being stuck as a 4thliner in the Swedish league has got to have hampered his development.

From all accounts of the praise he got from Sutter, you think he'd be able to skip Jr and go play into the AHL next season? If he managed to get 1st or 2nd line minutes there I'd think it'd be more beneficial plus i don't think its impossible for him to get an AHL roster spot at this point given what I was seeing in the WJC...though being stuck as a 4thliner in the Swedish league has got to have hampered his development.

Hve to be 20 to play full time in the AHL (correct me if i'm wrong guys). Also, Sutter is not a guy the rushes his prospects. Backlund needs to learn to be a 1/2 center at the junior ranks before he goes pro. There would enough adjustment just for him to get use to a NA game, althought Sweden is very close. Don't overwhelm the guy.

Also there is going to be a flux of talent heading to the A next year with guys like Carpentier, Armstron, and Pustinen all likely bound for QC next season. Let Backlund take his time and adjust his game, not battle it out with guys for playing time.

Update on Backlund. His team, Vasteras, has reached the qualifying series to Elitserien. All six teams will play each other twice and the top two will play in Elitserien next season. And I'll be damned. At least two games are scheduled to be shown on a channel I've got.

Nystrom is an unrestricted free agent next year - he may not even come back.

good. i thought he looked great early, but as been more or less ineffective, even in his limited role.

after getting concussed after his last fight, i do'nt expect to see him in the flaming c ever again (unless he comes back to play a total of 15 mins in the remainder of the season).

good. i thought he looked great early, but as been more or less ineffective, even in his limited role.

after getting concussed after his last fight, i do'nt expect to see him in the flaming c ever again (unless he comes back to play a total of 15 mins in the remainder of the season).

He was really good the first month here. Then he got "comfortable" and his drive wasn't there anymore. Then the injuries started to mount and now a concussion.

He's a career 4th liner if even that.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
/\ If Ryder wants to come back, he'll come back. I think I recall hearing / seeing something that he might be back next year; I wouldn't hold my breath though.

Yeah, I recall reading something about Pardy talking about Ryder possibly coming back although the details are fuzzy.

edit- found it http://www.qctimes.com/articles/2008/02/09/sports/hockey/doc47ad52215dd64784602476.txt' target="_blank">here[/post]

Archived