Prospect Update

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think we'll see Ryder give it another try if his personal issues have become better... I also wouldn't be shocked to see the Flames sign big brother this summer to bolster our offense and also help Dan get back on track

Michael ryder is overrated... why would we want him?

• 3 months later...

Im liking this:

"He's a talented, talented kid," Duane Sutter said. "He'll come into the main camp and try to make the big club. He's good with the puck and a really smart player. He's a good skater. He's pretty much the whole package. He'll make some noise in camp.

I really think Backlund will make a big push to be on the Flames for the regular season.

Why is Juuso Puustinen still listed if Sutter didnt sign him? As far as I know, the Flames dont even hold his rights anymore.

I don't have a link I can quote, but I'm under the impression they keep his rights for 1 more season and then next off season he would be free to do what he pleases. I thought it was up to 3 years you had to sign a European player before you forfeit his rights, but I could be wrong. Either way, I was under the impression they still have his rights, just didn't wish to sign him at this point becuase they didn't view him as worth of their 50 contract limit.

I don't have a link I can quote, but I'm under the impression they keep his rights for 1 more season and then next off season he would be free to do what he pleases. I thought it was up to 3 years you had to sign a European player before you forfeit his rights, but I could be wrong. Either way, I was under the impression they still have his rights, just didn't wish to sign him at this point becuase they didn't view him as worth of their 50 contract limit.

I also dont have a link I can quote, but I thought I read something about him having to complete 1 more year of his Finnish military obligation as well.

I also dont have a link I can quote, but I thought I read something about him having to complete 1 more year of his Finnish military obligation as well.

I don't remember hearing that, but I wouldn't be suprised if that was true. It would make some sense, consdiering Sutter made it seem like they didn't want him, but yet is always listed when it comes to Flames' top prospects.

I don't remember hearing that, but I wouldn't be suprised if that was true. It would make some sense, consdiering Sutter made it seem like they didn't want him, but yet is always listed when it comes to Flames' top prospects.

This was taken from poster "Lyx" (from Finland) on May 29th in a previous Puustinen thread:

"Puustinen joins Espoo Blues, who have lured many prospects (Oskar Osala, Jere Sallinen) previously.

The biggest reason for Puustinen to join Espoo is predicted on finnish hockey boards to be serving in finnish army for a year near the city. This way he will still be able to train and play.

For all of you that are wondering its mandatory in Finland to serve in the army for 6-12 months."

"Predicted" is the key word I guess. Still, Sutter's quote "He is a 19 year old who we will not be signing" (or close to that) from an earlier interview didnt sound real hopeful.

This was taken from poster "Lyx" (from Finland) on May 29th in a previous Puustinen thread:

"Puustinen joins Espoo Blues, who have lured many prospects (Oskar Osala, Jere Sallinen) previously.

The biggest reason for Puustinen to join Espoo is predicted on finnish hockey boards to be serving in finnish army for a year near the city. This way he will still be able to train and play.

For all of you that are wondering its mandatory in Finland to serve in the army for 6-12 months."

"Predicted" is the key word I guess. Still, Sutter's quote "He is a 19 year old who we will not be signing" (or close to that) from an earlier interview didnt sound real hopeful.

Yeah, but I took that to mean that he just dind't fit within their 50 contracts, not necessarly that they didn't want him in their organization. Becuase they've begun to actually sign and keep their picks, I believe they are maxing out their limits with guys they feel are either better pros for their farm, or have a higher ceiling.

Having said all this I still woulnd't be all that upset to lose Pusstinen. I think he can be an NHL player down the road, but he is in the Kristian Huseluis style mode. Good top end offensive talent, but not much elsewhere.

Yeah, but I took that to mean that he just dind't fit within their 50 contracts, not necessarly that they didn't want him in their organization. Becuase they've begun to actually sign and keep their picks, I believe they are maxing out their limits with guys they feel are either better pros for their farm, or have a higher ceiling.

Having said all this I still woulnd't be all that upset to lose Pusstinen. I think he can be an NHL player down the road, but he is in the Kristian Huseluis style mode. Good top end offensive talent, but not much elsewhere.

is there a 50 contract limit per team or is that the flames management?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived