Prospect Update

John Negrin countinues to put up big numbers. He is now over a PPG and now also a plus 4.

Here is a breakdown, it is about a week old, about the starts of the Flames propsects in the various league. It is courtesy of Hockey futures for thsoe who don't check that webpage often.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
So after 14-games, Grant Stevenson leads the way with 4-goals and 10-points. Dan Ryder, the team's most productive player (5-points in 6-games) walked out on the Flames. Dustin Boyd only has 2-goals. Chucko has 4-points. Van Der Gulik has 1-point and -8.

:rolleyes:

Maybe losing an RFA to an offersheet isn't such a bad idea afterall. It could help bolster our crop of prospects.

Another update:

John Negrin will join Leland Irving in the Canada vs Russia Challenge and represent the WHL. Very good for a 3rd round pick.

You will also be happy to see that the offensive numbers are getting much better down in the Quad. Boyd is not up to 9 points in 14 games. Prospect Stats

The Flames farm system is not full of offensive talent, there is no hiding that. However it is full of good NHL calibre prospects.

• 1 month later...

While its dissapointing Irving didn't made Team Canada, Mikael Backlund has made the Swedish roster as one of their youngest players. TSN

Should provide a great opporuntity for the people who havn't seen him play. Very impressive player.

No word yet on Finland's roster, but I would expect Jusso Pusstinen to be on the team there.

While its dissapointing Irving didn't made Team Canada, Mikael Backlund has made the Swedish roster as one of their youngest players. http://tsn.ca/World_jrs/feature/?fid=4465' target="_blank">TSN[/post]

Speaking of Sweden, this kid should be interesting to watch:

Viktor Hedman L 6'7 220 12/18/90

He's turning 17 in a few days and he's already 6'7 and 220 pounds!!!

He's a defenseman. Has Sweden ever had a player, never mind a defenseman, that big? If he can skate at all it should be interesting to see.

He's a defenseman. Has Sweden ever had a player, never mind a defenseman, that big? If he can skate at all it should be interesting to see.

WHOA, just tried to look up information on him.

Many are considering him to give Tavares a run for his money in the 09 draft. They say he has "sublime" offensive skill and a tough "borderline" defensive play.

17 years old 6.7 and 220 this kid could be huge and considering the reports sounds as if he could be dangerous too. Like a giant Phaneuf :ph34r::o :o

I wish I could find more info on him.

• 2 weeks later...

Update on World Juniors:

Flames system showing they do indeed have some offensive punch. Backlund remains in top 8 in scoring with 6 points in 4 games. Pusstinen had a goal and an assist versus Canada which gives him 4 goals in the tournment (one of the tops) and I believe 6 points as well.

ON a side note, that was mentioned earlier, Per Johnson a 7th rd pick of the flames a few years ago is a reserve for Team Sweden. Worth nothing given that Sweden has a talented roster this year, so for a 7th rd pick to be worth brining to the tournmanet is good. Johnson is a pretty skilled offensive blueliner who I compare to Toni Lydman.

• 3 weeks later...

Kjell Samuelsson

Gender Male

Born 18.10.58, Tingsryd, Sweden

Height 201 cm / 6' 7"

Weight 105 kg / 231lbs / 16st 7lbs

Position Defender

Shoots right

Drafted NY Rangers, 1984, 6th, 119th

A true NHLer.

http://www.eurohockey.net/players/show_pla...cgi?serial=7730[/post]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kjell_Samuelsson ( this one has him 1" shorter)

I just watched Flames prospect JD Watt tonight...Actually I've seen a fair bit of him over the last 3 or 4 years and I'm still waiting to see his first clean check...This guy is the biggest coward in the WHL and I'm ashamed of Sutter for drafting him...I've seen him lay an awful lot of dirty hits on much smaller players and watch as he will go nowhere near a player his own size or bigger...You can cross this chicken off your list of future hopefuls as he won't be able to play against men...

I just watched Flames prospect JD Watt tonight...Actually I've seen a fair bit of him over the last 3 or 4 years and I'm still waiting to see his first clean check...This guy is the biggest coward in the WHL and I'm ashamed of Sutter for drafting him...I've seen him lay an awful lot of dirty hits on much smaller players and watch as he will go nowhere near a player his own size or bigger...You can cross this chicken off your list of future hopefuls as he won't be able to play against men...

I think thats a big of a blanket statement about JD. does he do it? Abosolutly, but I watched him at the prospect camp take on and actually challenge Matt pelech, a guy who has several inches and pounds on him and has the reputation of being a great fighter. He is an agigitator and thats his job, but sure some times he takes it too far, but i've also seen him play alot and watched him take on guys his size or bigger.

I think thats a big of a blanket statement about JD. does he do it? Abosolutly, but I watched him at the prospect camp take on and actually challenge Matt pelech, a guy who has several inches and pounds on him and has the reputation of being a great fighter. He is an agigitator and thats his job, but sure some times he takes it too far, but i've also seen him play alot and watched him take on guys his size or bigger.

Maybe a blanket statement... It's just that I've never even seen anything close to a clean hit and I've only seen him back down from guys within 3 inches and 20 lbs of his size... nevermind even going into the corner with a bigger player...I'll all about agitators and pests...I just don't like dirty hitters and cowards...Guys like Theo, Killer, and even Avery never backed down from anyone and stood up for their actions...From what I've seen of Watt during his Junior career is disgraceful...

So I guess I'll take your word for it Cross as I consider you to be one ofthe very few objective fans and an intelligent poster...I just wish Watt would show me some of the things you've seen...

Maybe a blanket statement... It's just that I've never even seen anything close to a clean hit and I've only seen him back down from guys within 3 inches and 20 lbs of his size... nevermind even going into the corner with a bigger player...I'll all about agitators and pests...I just don't like dirty hitters and cowards...Guys like Theo, Killer, and even Avery never backed down from anyone and stood up for their actions...From what I've seen of Watt during his Junior career is disgraceful...

So I guess I'll take your word for it Cross as I consider you to be one ofthe very few objective fans and an intelligent poster...I just wish Watt would show me some of the things you've seen...

I completely agree with you about cowards and If Watt turns out to be that i will share you opinion and want him out of the organization. And again I'm not saying your wrong as I think you've probably seen Watt play more than I have. However, I think him showing the guts to take on Pelech shows that maybe at the upper level he has more desire to do whatever it takes and maybe its a case of a big guy trying to throw his wait around at the junior level.

Watt is definetly a bit of a case, and its the primary reason he isn't playing pro already. Usually Sutter discourages his junior player maxing out their junior careers so that shows that Watt still needs work but i'm like you in hoping that I see the Watt i've seen at prospect camps at the next level and not the Watt you describe.

Well, I checked in to see the Negrin file, but got caught in an interesting toss about JD Watt. I was actually wondering what happened to JD this year in Junior. I see his production has tapered off, which I find curious for an (over-ager?). I actually expected him to challenge for a spot in the Quad this year, assuming his upside is an NHL agitator, I figured his next stop would be the A, or the E. Any thougts on what's happening to him in term of development? I kind of thought he may turn into a bit of a hard-nosed grinder who could produce 5-10 goals/yr and 150 penalty minutes. Perhaps I over-estimated his toughness? Cross, I think I saw the same intra-squad game you did where he challenged Pelech.

So, I figured the kid was tough....but I've never seem him in a live game in Junior. Obviously, Priest, you've watched the kid play a bunch live. I'm very upset that he appears to be a "all show - no go" kid. No time for that, unless you're Ken Linesman!

Well, I checked in to see the Negrin file, but got caught in an interesting toss about JD Watt. I was actually wondering what happened to JD this year in Junior. I see his production has tapered off, which I find curious for an (over-ager?). I actually expected him to challenge for a spot in the Quad this year, assuming his upside is an NHL agitator, I figured his next stop would be the A, or the E. Any thougts on what's happening to him in term of development? I kind of thought he may turn into a bit of a hard-nosed grinder who could produce 5-10 goals/yr and 150 penalty minutes. Perhaps I over-estimated his toughness? Cross, I think I saw the same intra-squad game you did where he challenged Pelech.

So, I figured the kid was tough....but I've never seem him in a live game in Junior. Obviously, Priest, you've watched the kid play a bunch live. I'm very upset that he appears to be a "all show - no go" kid. No time for that, unless you're Ken Linesman!

Indeed I have seen alot of him during his junior career and I don't expect I will ever see him in a Flames jersey...I am a season ticket holder for a WHL team and have especially watched Flames prospects closely...Negrin is going to play in the NHL some day but Watt is a washout...He plays dirty and chickens out...If he was useful I think the Giants would have held onto him for a run at another MEM cup...

Looks like Cracknell is ready to move up to QC...I thought Seitsonen would be better...Yikes...

He did for a few games, but was then sent back down if i recall correctly. Kolanos took his roster spot.

Seitsonen is also a guy that bothers me. He has enough skill to play at higher levels and likely even play in the NHL but he jsut can't seem to get it going. I would be suprised if they renewed his conract when its up.

It looks to me like Kolanos is actually playing pretty good...I think he might be with Calgary next season or earlier depending on the trade deadline...It'll be interesting to see how Cracknell does in QC next year...

The problem with Kolanos is the same as it's always been:

-can't find his own zone with a GPS up his arse

-doesn't play nearly as big as he is

He's like the kid on your team you always wanted to beat the crap out of because he's the talented, big, fast player who only ever played for his goals instead of team wins while you are pushing 5'11, can't skate and are busting your butt to help the team. Not that this is a personal story or anything...

Archived